Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Museum District > Megathread Archive

Old 2011-11-28, 1:39 AM   #1701
Jay
Fun & Fanciful

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

City of Heroes is doing their "Loyalty Rewards" program again for the release of this. Every time a new, big(ish) ticket MMO comes out, they have a reward thing where if you stay with them through the new game's launch (usually 2-3 months), you get some goodies.

They did it for CO, DCUO, and now SWTOR.

I've always thought it was kind of obvious and tacky.
:I

Old 2011-11-28, 1:44 AM   #1702
Jobrill
i am an anime

To be fair, WoW's Annual pass was prooooobably in part inspired as a way to keep subscriptions active when SWTOR drops.
Old 2011-11-28, 2:18 AM   #1703
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
After all the beta testing I've done I will play a Sith Jugarnaut at release. I've loved everything about the class. I think this will be the first time I will play on a roleplay server also.
Yeah I'm kind of tempted to try this too.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
| TURMBLRR | TUG ON STEAM
Old 2011-11-28, 3:26 AM   #1704
ieya
Rogue Modron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobrill View Post
To be fair, WoW's Annual pass was prooooobably in part inspired as a way to keep subscriptions active when SWTOR drops.
Yeah, no kidding - well, that, and the likely lull if 4.3 drags on a la Spiceworld Citadel...

Knight of the Holy Order of No Pants
Old 2011-11-28, 7:40 AM   #1705
Kachunkachunk
LUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

AKA: strider

RE: Killing 10 rats in an MMORPG

Just because a new, [somewhat] fresh MMORPG opts to push more of the same mundane things doesn't mean it's should be continuing that trend. The genre consistently has a lot of these kinds of quests and it's not necessarily a good thing, it feels like.
Now, looking at other games, you usually see all these foes simply as "in your way" and not really a target.

You really can make rat hunting work, however, if the writing is good and there's enough relevance. If it's particularly laboring, give the player incentive to want to do it - not just for the XP, but because it makes sense to in the story that the player gives a crap about, or at least potential rewards.
I've found that SWTOR does try a bit harder than other MMOs with this regard so far. Just a bit. I find that I'm still not really fully-vested in the story as a meat-headed Trooper, but these cut scenes force some story telling in and it's a good thing.
It makes a bit more sense as to why I am pretty much committing all but genocide of a specific thing in an area, and conveniently the flow and ordering of what offerings I am being tasked with allows me to complete multiple quests at the same time in one trip.

This is something that WoW didn't really integrate for the player until Cataclysm, requiring players to optimize via QuestHelper and other 3rd-party mods or guides.
WoW consistently showed you how to not do it: For example: "Get 60 quill boar tusks" - for WHAT? Because you're a pissy Orc that wants some revenge over one goring/killing a family member? OK mundane, non-story task, sure. I'll go do it for the XP.
But wait, what? Every boar has two tusks yet you MIGHT get one tusk for every four boar you kill?

With that said, the rest of SWTOR has been good and I for one am glad I pre-purchased it and played the Beta a bit, submitting what bugs I could report/articulate.

Kachunkachunk is offline I donated to Forumopolis!  
Old 2011-11-28, 9:01 AM   #1706
Killjoy
Sorely missed.

AKA: Magnetic Field, Paulus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
After all the beta testing I've done I will play a Sith Jugarnaut at release. I've loved everything about the class. I think this will be the first time I will play on a roleplay server also.
I've had my eye on the Juggernaut for a while now, and this testing has confirmed what I'll be playing. The class is powerful, has high survivability, and the story line is interesting.

Edit: And there's just something about everyone calling you, "My lord."

Last edited by Killjoy; 2011-11-28 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2011-11-28, 9:51 AM   #1707
Sam
GENERIC PYLONS $6.99ea BUY

AKA: Dypthropos, This is amazing

Man, there's this sudden point where the Jedi class storylines make a hard, hard shift from out of being the most boring to being The Winter of our Renegade Interrupt: How to Satisfyingly Tear this Broken Galaxy's Shit Up in the Pursuit of Justice. I've now seen it from both the Knight and the Consular storylines. Even the nature of the voice acting changes dramatically across the same voice actor.

For the Knight especially, my best legitimate guess is that they were severely worried about overpopulation of that class, and wanted to dress up others, especially smuggler, agent, the sith options, et al., to provide dramatically more initial appeal. Maybe to .. you know, fray that off somewhat.

Or maybe they were just the first class written out. I can't say. It is a mystery. But at any rate I guess Knight is still the most populous class, so, boo hoo, ~my uniqueness~
Old 2011-11-28, 10:05 AM   #1708
Sprint
Slartabartfast

The sky has fallen, I have logged in.

I kind of think MMO's in general need to give level one characters more buttons to push...
Old 2011-11-28, 10:12 AM   #1709
AKBoarder
Do not go gentle

You got into a weekday beta? I'm jealous.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light...
Old 2011-11-28, 10:13 AM   #1710
Jobrill
i am an anime

I think the weekend beta just got extended to monday, actually.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:25 AM   #1711
DEDALVS, Esq.
Champion of the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Man, there's this sudden point where the Jedi class storylines make a hard, hard shift from out of being the most boring to being The Winter of our Renegade Interrupt: How to Satisfyingly Tear this Broken Galaxy's Shit Up in the Pursuit of Justice. I've now seen it from both the Knight and the Consular storylines. Even the nature of the voice acting changes dramatically across the same voice actor.

For the Knight especially, my best legitimate guess is that they were severely worried about overpopulation of that class, and wanted to dress up others, especially smuggler, agent, the sith options, et al., to provide dramatically more initial appeal. Maybe to .. you know, fray that off somewhat.

Or maybe they were just the first class written out. I can't say. It is a mystery. But at any rate I guess Knight is still the most populous class, so, boo hoo, ~my uniqueness~
Let me tell you something. The resolution at end game of the Jedi Knight is the most epic, awesome, and amazing resolution in Bioware games history. Like for real.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:32 AM   #1712
TiltingWindmills
Glutton for Punishment

AKA: Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDALVS, Esq. View Post
Let me tell you something. The resolution at end game of the Jedi Knight is the most epic, awesome, and amazing resolution in Bioware games history. Like for real.
I'm hoping that the Trooper ends well because I loved what I played, almost up to level 30. It's easily my favorite class to play and IMO one of the best storylines in the game.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:33 AM   #1713
DEDALVS, Esq.
Champion of the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltingWindmills View Post
I'm hoping that the Trooper ends well because I loved what I played, almost up to level 30. It's easily my favorite class to play and IMO one of the best storylines in the game.
From what I've read and heard, the most epic ending storylines are the Jedi Knight, Commando, Imperial Agent, and Smuggler.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:36 AM   #1714
Killjoy
Sorely missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobrill View Post
I think the weekend beta just got extended to monday, actually.
It's been through Monday for as long as I've known.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:37 AM   #1715
Phantom
Slammin' Evil.

Is it just me, or do class skill ranks take a sudden jump to the absurd in price? For my Vanguard to train in Harpoon (Death Grip), a level 22 ability, would cost me over 4k credits.

I suppose the lesson here is to not waste cash training my Crafting and Mission skills until after level 25. Or to just start playing the AH early and often.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:44 AM   #1716
Riot
Eye will never stop.

AKA: RyotGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDALVS, Esq. View Post
From what I've read and heard, the most epic ending storylines are the Jedi Knight, Commando, Imperial Agent, and Smuggler.
Care to spoil them?
Old 2011-11-28, 10:48 AM   #1717
Wonk
Lord of the Beasties

I'm very disappointed. I had heard rumblings that this game wasn't all that great. I thought, cool, now I can focus on WoW and it's upcoming expansion, Diablo 3 and my current obsession, Skyrim. Waiting in the wings at some point - Arkham City.

Well, I figured I should check out the weekend stress test beta. Always a fan of Bioware games so this being their first MMO, hey, it might have it's moments. Loved the KOTOR, Dragon Age and Mass Effect games and of course, the Baldur's Gate games back in the day.

As well, I've never been one to last long in non-fantasy MMOs - tried SW Galaxies, City of Heroes, Champions, ST Online, and DC Universe Online but I am at my happiest as a ale-swiggin' Dwarf with a battleaxe in me hands.

Yet, what do I find? I find myself really digging the game, dammit. I sampled a bunch of classes (no character made it higher than level 5 over the beta weekend). Just checking - this game isn't like the Conan MMO where the NPCs voice acting ceases to exist once you are out of the starting area, correct?

I really felt like I was a part of the SW universe and I had a role in it. Something I never felt in SW Galaxies. The fact that they are utilizing elements from their KOTOR, Dragon Age and Mass Effect games makes this all the more kick ass for me (superior voice acting, companions, romance, etc.).

I need another MMO subscription like I need a hole in the head but I'll be pre-ordering today. No, I won't pay for the ridiculous cost of the Collector's Edition but cheers to those who do. Spoke too soon, sucker that I am.

Favorite classes so far - Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Jedi Knight, Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior.

Damn glad I'm on vacation during the last couple of weeks of December!

Last edited by Wonk; 2011-11-28 at 6:01 PM.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:58 AM   #1718
Jobrill
i am an anime

I'll be honest. Once I'm "done" with patch 4.3, I'll probably be tempted to pick this up and treat it like a single player game. Just casually play the class storylines, maybe get high enough to romance a couple companions.

Too bad Vette's on the Sith Warrior. I like her and I like the Sith Warrior class, but I could never bring myself to play a Light Side Sith.
Old 2011-11-28, 10:58 AM   #1719
Killjoy
Sorely missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
Just checking - this game isn't like the Conan MMO where the NPCs voice acting ceases to exist once you are out of the starting area, correct?
No, thank God. This game is fully voice acted, barring obvious text stuff like some panels giving information or quests.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:05 AM   #1720
Wonk
Lord of the Beasties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
No, thank God. This game is fully voice acted, barring obvious text stuff like some panels giving information or quests.
Nice! Having a big budget helps, I guess.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:07 AM   #1721
White Tyger
Rowr

Overall was very happy with my experience with the beta. Definitely keeping my pre-order. On the Imperial side, I'm going with Sith Inquisitor as my main & on Republic I have say Trooper was the most fun & interesting to play. The Jedi classes were too uninteresting in both quest and story line to keep my interest as a player.

I just finished filling out the survey Bioware sent out to beta players telling them as much too. Doubt they will care so close to release but, felt good to be able to give them the feedback regardless.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:10 AM   #1722
Munchausen
Fights with repulsor rays

Got my Sith Assassin up to 22 last night and stopped because I want to save the rest for launch. Great story, and I'm really digging how they've handled light and dark side choices on the Sith side. I hit dark side each time because I wanted to see what force corruption looked like, but really, I think there are times when I'll choose "light" because it's a more strategic decision, or better for the Empire or my own personal power.

In short, there's much more of a variety than I expected, and as a Sith you're not simply pigeon-holed into completely sadistic sociopath or compassionate flower child fighting against the Empire from within.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:15 AM   #1723
Caleddin
In the pines, in the pines

When do mobility powers come around? I only played to 9, and it was decently fun, but I felt slow most of the time. If you can shoot lightning from your hands or do a myriad of other force powers, why can't you jump more than three feet? I was hoping for something that felt more dynamic. Maybe a class I didn't play has that instead?

I know there are powers that involve jumping/movement as part of combat, but I just mean in general. Do you ever start feeling quicker, or do you just have to wait for a speeder/whatever?
Old 2011-11-28, 11:17 AM   #1724
TiltingWindmills
Glutton for Punishment

AKA: Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleddin View Post
When do mobility powers come around? I only played to 9, and it was decently fun, but I felt slow most of the time. If you can shoot lightning from your hands or do a myriad of other force powers, why can't you jump more than three feet? I was hoping for something that felt more dynamic. Maybe a class I didn't play has that instead?

I know there are powers that involve jumping/movement as part of combat, but I just mean in general. Do you ever start feeling quicker, or do you just have to wait for a speeder/whatever?
You get Sprint at I think 14, which is something like a 30% speed increase. It makes running around a lot less tedious. You don't ever get super jump or something like that though.
Old 2011-11-28, 11:34 AM   #1725
DEDALVS, Esq.
Champion of the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Care to spoil them?
For Jedi Knight and Consular, MASSIVE, INCREDIBLY MASSIVE END GAME SPOILERS:
You quite literally come face to face with the Sith Emperor, reveal his immortality plan of having children and moving his Sith essence from body to body. The Consular's story has him murdering the Sith Emperor's only son, and the Jedi Knight mortally wounds the Emperor himself, with no body for his Sith energy to inhabit.