Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2010-07-28, 1:32 PM   #351
echelonx
Echelon#1743

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Er, as in I just linked you to my profile.

How is that not helpful?
Your profile is amazing, but it doesn't help me look up other people in the least.
echelonx is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 1:39 PM   #352
Archangel3d
Watch Your Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionHK View Post
Hit F9 at the start of each mission. F9 pauses the game and brings up the achievement window
Awesome, thanks
Archangel3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 1:50 PM   #353
The Traveler
Cheap Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelonx View Post
Your profile is amazing, but it doesn't help me look up other people in the least.
Well, you can also view it for anyone who posts on the Battlenet forums. I haven't found a search function yet per se, but it isn't as if profiles are hard to get at.
The Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 1:51 PM   #354
Maxime
Life in gray

AKA: Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelonx View Post
You guys are completely unhelpful. I thought the question was pretty clear; on wow you can look up people to see their stuff, why is that such a ridiculous thing in starcraft?

Is it a well known fact that this isn't possible? I can't figure out why when I asked how to do something two different people responded with "yes" instead of a useful answer.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant looking at your own profile. To see the others you have to right click their name in your friend list and click "view profile". You'll be able to see their achievements, game stats and such.
Maxime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 2:12 PM   #355
ultfrisbee
Plebian

You can also check out your opponent afetr playing him if you right-click his name in the score screen.
ultfrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 2:17 PM   #356
PMAvers
Stars In Their Eyes

Oh, hey, a e-mail back finally from Gamestop.

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Unfortunately, we are unable to process orders that contain a physical and PO Box address in the same address field (shipping and/or billing). For the order to continue processing please respond to this email with the billing address that is on file with your financial institution, your desired shipping address, and the corresponding shipping method.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused.

...Well, then why didn't you say this anytime PRIOR TO ME E-MAILING YOU? (I put both my PO Box and street address on anything I order online, especially on anything I'm not sure how is going to be shipped. Hasn't been a problem before.) Like, say, anytime between April (when I placed the pre-order) and today?

Doubly tempted now to just tell them to cancel it.

Last edited by PMAvers; 2010-07-28 at 2:19 PM.
PMAvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 2:41 PM   #357
frobbnik
Mouthy

why would you order anything from gamestop when you could get it from amazon instead, this is mind boggling
frobbnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 2:45 PM   #358
ultfrisbee
Plebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobbnik View Post
why would you order anything from gamestop when you could get it from amazon instead, this is mind boggling
That's what I did and I took free shipping. I got my copy yesterday afternoon. Quite satisfied TBH.
ultfrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 2:46 PM   #359
medivh
Stauning eller kaos!

AKA: Nissen, Søren Rune

Don't cancel, unless you find it cheaper/more convenient elsewhere. You're one customer out of, what, twelve billion who want the game? They'll get it sold no matter what you do.

blacksand.blog.com - Every day I ride the train, an hour each way. I spend the time writing about my game world.
medivh is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 2:49 PM   #360
Nick
HEY HEY GET READY FOR THIS

Only reason I ordered from Gamestop was the 70 dollar CE. Otherwise I don't know why anyone would ever touch that store, unless it's the only pick-up place possible.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 3:01 PM   #361
DJStarbust
Overruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Only reason I ordered from Gamestop was the 70 dollar CE. Otherwise I don't know why anyone would ever touch that store, unless it's the only pick-up place possible.
I missed that deal. How did you get the collector's for 70 bucks?
3DS: 4270-0631-6751
DJStarbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 3:04 PM   #362
caldazar
Eagles on pogo sticks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobbnik View Post
Gamestop announced they were giving out beta keys with big fanfare about 6 hours before Amazon started silently sending out beta keys as well. Many people (including me!) were too lazy to cancel and pre-order from amazon instead.
caldazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 3:05 PM   #363
Skiace
Viva Puig

so the answer then to echelonx's question is, "no, there's no armory equivalent for sc2 yet."

where armory equivalent means:
-web browser based (not in the game itself)
-searchable

Skiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 3:10 PM   #364
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJStarbust View Post
I missed that deal. How did you get the collector's for 70 bucks?
There was some easy coupon someone pointed out that you could put in with any 100+ dollar order to get something like 30% off.

So I put 99.99 CE and a .99 used game into the same cart, hit the coupon, and then added tax and the cheapest shipping they had.

So basically, F Gamestop

Old 2010-07-28, 3:12 PM   #365
DJStarbust
Overruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There was some easy coupon someone pointed out that you could put in with any 100+ dollar order to get something like 30% off.

So I put 99.99 CE and a .99 used game into the same cart, hit the coupon, and then added tax and the cheapest shipping they had.

So basically, F Gamestop
Thats a pretty good deal. If i had seen that I would have jumped on it. Now that i spent the $100 for the CE i'm kinda feeling buyer's remorse.
3DS: 4270-0631-6751
DJStarbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 3:13 PM   #366
medivh
Stauning eller kaos!

I've been playing on my buddys 7 hour key for a little while

Q1: Is the banshee severely fucking underpowered, or is it just me that feels this way?

Q2: If it is, what do Terran have for air-based attacks on ground units?

blacksand.blog.com - Every day I ride the train, an hour each way. I spend the time writing about my game world.
Old 2010-07-28, 3:16 PM   #367
echelonx
Echelon#1743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiace View Post
so the answer then to echelonx's question is, "no, there's no armory equivalent for sc2 yet."

where armory equivalent means:
-web browser based (not in the game itself)
-searchable
They should add that.

I did find that if you're viewing your own battle.net profile online you can see links to your friends' profiles. Presumably you could add people as friends that you don't know and then see their info that way. I'm not sure if friends have to confirm if you just add them by character name instead of realid.
echelonx is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 3:18 PM   #368
PMAvers
Stars In Their Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by medivh View Post
Don't cancel, unless you find it cheaper/more convenient elsewhere. You're one customer out of, what, twelve billion who want the game? They'll get it sold no matter what you do.
Yeah, by cancelling it's not going to screw them or anything, it'd just mean I get the game quicker by picking it up locally.

And cheaper, by using my discount at work. Only real reason I ordered it through them was already mentioned (the whole beta key thing).
Old 2010-07-28, 3:23 PM   #369
Nick

Quote:
I've been playing on my buddys 7 hour key for a little while

Q1: Is the banshee severely fucking underpowered, or is it just me that feels this way?

Q2: If it is, what do Terran have for air-based attacks on ground units?
Q1: You have to understand that Banshees are a very solid, versatile unit that requires a significant investment, meaning it will be used for one of three different roles:

#1- Speed push to 2x banshees producing at once and cloak, where you bring 2-4 banshees into your opponent's base before they have cloak and either kill off their detection-potential stuff (robo bay) and then win the game instantly, or do harvester harass to cripple them/force them to base-camp while you expand/tech-switch as their eyes are elsewhere.

#2- Get to mass banshee (2x or even 3x starports with tech lab) production at a normal speed, maybe after making other stuff for early-game harass or building up defenses to make sure your main and natural are secure. Once you get 10-18 banshees with level 1/2 upgrades you start seeing something very different out of the unit, as it actually hits hard as hell in terms of DPS...combined with the ability to retreat in case of unfavorable fights, this becomes very deadly. The force is still fragile since it's all there is, so ravens with upgrades get added for PDD vs ground AA (deadly combo) and hunter-seekers versus normal flying units.

#3- Really pro Terran players will sometimes build forces that are mixes of 3-7 different units...this is most common in a 1-of-each build as seen by TLO. One barracks, one facotry, one starport. The starport with tech lab will often add 3 banshees and 1-2 ravens into the ground force for a mixed army that can be hard to deal with- banshees are incredible when other stuff can tank the damage for them. Personally I would love to experiment more with a thor-banshee build.

Q2: Raven harass on the mineral line with sentries, battlecruisers, and technically medivac and viking drops.

Old 2010-07-28, 3:28 PM   #370
Nick

TLDR; banshees are fine and some claim they are even over-powered. From how the unit looks you might think of them either as a scalpel or a hammer unit, but they actually don't fulfill either role; think of them more as something in-between like a rapier...you have to know exactly how and when to strike, and how to avoid getting hurt until the location and timing for offense are right. Used correctly, Banshees will either cripple or outright kill your opponent with virtually no damage or losses at all on your end.

Old 2010-07-28, 4:02 PM   #371
medivh
Stauning eller kaos!

I'm just asking because I was expecting it to, you know, do damage to ground units but it doesn't, so I'm wondering what went wrong.

Old 2010-07-28, 4:06 PM   #372
The Adventurer
Demons Are Your Friends!

I don't understand. Banshee's only attack the ground.

Or are you mixing up Banshee's with Vikings? Vikings are Air-to-Air only when flying. They are Ground-to-Ground only when in walker mode.
Old 2010-07-28, 4:08 PM   #373
Darius Sontag
Emperor of the Idiots

AKA: Shadoer

So got to the end of Starcraft 2.

My thoughts on the plot

I liked the style, but seriously it pisses me off that they are going with the "Xel Naga are returning doom plot".

It pisses me off more that Kerrigan is human again.

It pisses me off even more that instead of that Raynor saving Kerrigan's life was probably motivated by Zeratul saying "she's destined to save the world" instead of "yeah she killed my friends, and this is dumb, but I love her."

Other then that nerd rage, if Kerrigan is human... who the hell do you play as in the zerg campaign?

Old 2010-07-28, 4:09 PM   #374
Nick

Quote:
I'm just asking because I was expecting it to, you know, do damage to ground units but it doesn't, so I'm wondering what went wrong.
At full upgrades Banshees do 30 damage vs all ground unit types at a fire rate of 1.25 seconds (almost as fast as the reaper pistol), on a cloak-able unit immune to ground-only attacks and unaffected by terrain.

It does plenty of damage versus ground units.

If they aren't, it's because either 1) you think they're airborne siege-tanks when they aren't and can get blown out of the sky 2) you aren't focus-firing or 3) both.

Edit: to put it in perspective, 12 of them can 1-shot a Collossus every 1.25 seconds at absolute range 6 (no need to maneuver around each other to reach immediate firing range like ground units)

8+ banshees will destroy any building in your opponent's base other than the HQ in 1-3 seconds.

Last edited by Nick; 2010-07-28 at 4:12 PM.
Old 2010-07-28, 4:25 PM   #375
medivh
Stauning eller kaos!

Probably (1)

I sent a group of them up against a blob of marines because I remembered from some early beta data that they did AOE to ground.

nope.avi

They got shot down like cheap punks.