Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2011-05-12, 6:20 PM   #5251
MyGosh
Plebian

I hate how one ear is slightly lower than the other, so if I wear glasses (I usually stick with contacts) than the eye doctor can NEVER get them right
MyGosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 6:35 PM   #5252
blackjack
Fascist Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaclypse View Post
My father is now yelling about deodorant. I am, yet again, not exaggerating.

edit - And apparently he lost a coin bank that he kept on his dresser. Inevitably, I will be blamed for this. My thoughts: He wasted all that money on hookers and needs a scapegoat.
Nickel hookers are a bigger problem than his missing piggy bank.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 10:03 PM   #5253
meowster
Say no to the chip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFrisby View Post
On one hand, my mom is complaining about helping me pay for my prescription and says that we need to figure something out to help me with my money. On the other hand, she's flat out opposed to me living in the cheaper (but nicest I could find at a cheap price) place because it's "in a bad neighborhood with mexicans" and "you can find something better" and "rent is always very negotiable."

*headdesk, kleenex hanging off my face*
My husband's grandmother said something of a similar nature to me and my husband. She was telling us that we should get a new car because my husband's father is always having to work on it and that it is stressing him out (it's actually her, not the car). Later she said that we shouldn't have cable since it costs too much and we can't afford that. If we can't afford cable, how in hell could we afford a new car? It was very argh.
Old 2011-05-12, 10:14 PM   #5254
Gilead
im dead i died

fucking insooooomnia
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 10:42 PM   #5255
Chrono-Synclastic
249x10^6 (km) from the sun

AKA: White Room, Chronos

I just want to note that Whaler gave out one of the best and most underused pieces of "dating" advice.

The moment you realize you're attracted to someone you need to do something about it. Talk to them, find out their status, and then as soon as the opportunity arises, put yourself out there.

I feel this approach breeds confidence. It gives you a sense of purpose and urgency, and by being that forward with someone (even though you just met them) you're making this bold and outright claim that you're attracted to them. And I know this seems silly and nonsensical, but you can pull confidence from the fact that you're attracted to the person. Like even if you're nervous or giddy, and you fuck your delivery all to hell, you still know that they're attractive, and that you'd really like to get to know them better. By conveying that you make them feel appreciated and special, while hopefully also coming off as some form of confident, because you are unquestionably confident in your attraction to them.

I managed a date off the prettiest and sweetest girl I've ever known just by telling her I thought so. I'll never forget that night.

"And no help is coming."
Chrono-Synclastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 6:12 AM   #5256
The Conqueror Worm
midwestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobulus View Post
I'm in the 'burbs.

My real problem is that I work a night shift and thus am sleeping during normal socializing hours.

Also, I moved to a new area, and also started working nights at the same time, so I know literally no one in the area.
I am also in the suburbs of Chicago, and I work nights, too. Hell, I even work weekends. NO EXCUSES.

I know it's easy to settle into a homebody routine with a full-time night job, especially since you're running on a backwards schedule, but it is very much possible to lead a decently active life, in spite of it all! In fact, I love working nights because it means I have days entirely free to pursue other activities -- volunteering, hitting the gym, socializing, attending events/concerts, the whole nine yards. Being active and actually doing things will allow you to meet people, and that is key to, you know, getting dates. I mean, I know that sounds dumb and patronizing, but it's true! I talk to everyone all the time at every venue -- be it bar, train car or Gwar -- and I've got enough friends now to where I am never at a loss for things to do, should I actually feel like shuffling around my sleep schedule a tiny bit to allow for, you know, fun.

Just out of curiosity, by the way: In which Chicago suburb do you live?
we may never find our way home

The Conqueror Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 6:16 AM   #5257
Jimmy McForum
december is coming

AKA: Thews McGee

My wife is away until Sunday and I miss her. I feel like I'm losing all my spoken English.

now available

working class paladin
Harlan Ellison.
Jimmy McForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 6:17 AM   #5258
Sven Stryker
Hi little guy!

Going in to see my dad before his double bypass this morning. Hoping he clears the small danger percentage.

/roll 1d100
Old 2011-05-13, 6:38 AM   #5259
Jay
Halloween was months ago

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McForum View Post
My wife is away until Sunday and I miss her. I feel like I'm losing all my spoken English.
Is she the only person you talk to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Stryker View Post
Going in to see my dad before his double bypass this morning. Hoping he clears the small danger percentage.

/roll 1d100
I got my fingers crossed for you dude. i'm sure it'll work out!
:I

Jay is online now I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 6:47 AM   #5260
blackjack
Fascist Luigi

Quote:

/roll 1d100
You've got my thoughts for him, man.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 7:25 AM   #5261
Jimmy McForum
december is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Justin View Post
Is she the only person you talk to?

Work people sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. MYAH MWAAH MWAH MWAMWAMWAMWAAAH

now available

working class paladin
Harlan Ellison.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:41 AM   #5262
Mercurian
All burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurian View Post
This is at least the 4th graphics card that has fried in my PC in the last 8 months. Not looking forward to calling Dell's Indian callcentre tomorrow, as I'll be walked through the same useless shit again that won't help the matter. They'll then realise that - just like the last 3 times - the card is indeed dead and replace it, only for it to fail again as little as 10 days down the line.
Dell promised me that my PC would be replaced with one at least as good as or better than my broken one. However, both the graphics card and processor in the new PC they're proposing are *considerably* worse than my existing one. Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

I wonder how many people they manage to trick into downgrading their PCs this way?

Mercurian is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 12:48 PM   #5263
Sven Stryker
Hi little guy!

Quote:

/roll 1d100
Surgeon walked in and said everything went great. Dad'll be in the ICU and we can see him in about half an hour. (he'll be out cold though) Also, I got into an MBA program. So I guess I can't post in this thread anymore.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:58 PM   #5264
Lex Senthur
Stark Raving Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy View Post
Yep. And once you get rejected a couple of times (not like a super harsh end of the world, but just a "ah well. Girl isn't interested") then you realize that, holy shit, it is not the end of the world if your advances are declined.
Sorta related, Dave Chappellle said that totally bombing at the Apollo Theater when he was just starting out was the best thing that ever happened to him, because (paraphrasing) as bad as it was, it wasn't that bad. And from that moment on he was fearless.

Lex Senthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 1:02 PM   #5265
Sprint
Slartabartfast

Best of luck with your dad and the program, Sven.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 1:04 PM   #5266
Jimmy McForum
december is coming

Quote:
Surgeon walked in and said everything went great. Dad'll be in the ICU and we can see him in about half an hour. (he'll be out cold though) Also, I got into an MBA program. So I guess I can't post in this thread anymore.
This is one thread* you don't want to post in, and don't let the door of relaxation hit you in the weldschmerz on the way out!

*the pony thread is the other one

now available

working class paladin
Harlan Ellison.
Old 2011-05-13, 1:10 PM   #5267
MsFrisby
Naughty Librarian

Best of luck to your dad, sven. Hope his recovery is swift.
Old 2011-05-13, 1:15 PM   #5268
Gliss
=O

My company took a plunge and the requisition that I really, really, really wanted to fill might be in jeopardy :/ This would be the third time since the beginning of the year that a job I wanted badly, interviewed well for, and was given an indication I was accepted for would have fallen out from under me. We'll see I guess. Fuck.
Old 2011-05-13, 1:37 PM   #5269
Mercurian
All burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurian View Post
Dell promised me that my PC would be replaced with one at least as good as or better than my broken one. However, both the graphics card and processor in the new PC they're proposing are *considerably* worse than my existing one. Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

I wonder how many people they manage to trick into downgrading their PCs this way?
Just had another proposed specification from Dell, which still falls way short of where it should be. The most laughable aspect is the graphics card:

Original Graphics Card: GeForce 9800 GT
PassMark benchmark score: 914

Proposed Relacement Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5450
PassMark benchmark score: 314

Either they're trying to scam me at this point, or the person I'm dealing with doesn't have a clue as to what the cards he's offering me are actually like.

Mercurian is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 2:42 PM   #5270
mayfly
Plebian

Someone close to me's vaguely-distant (as in, not like a brother or grandfather or something) relative was arrested in Syria yesterday. I read about it on the Al-Jazeera live blog before he had a chance to tell me, which was a pretty surreal moment. Obviously this isn't my direct problem, more a vague feeling of second hand stress, but I also don't think someone being arrested by an oppressive regime belongs in the FWP thread even if they were your dog's trainers' second cousin, so it's going here.

On the other end of the spectrum, someone less close to me got an internship with Al Jazeera yesterday and I am super jealous.

My student loans are collecting interest like whoa. For the first time I'm glad Scottish students don't get as many living loans as English ones because otherwise I'd be about 9000 quid more in debt.

These last two things probably did belong in the FWP thread but bumping both at the same time seemed ridiculous.

mayfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 1:45 PM   #5271
showler
Doctor Whooooooowwwwlllll!

I finally got what I've been waiting for and had my ostomy reversed on Tuesday thanks to someone else cancelling a surgery.

Re-activating an ass that hasn't had much use in nearly two and a half years is making me regret my good luck. Thank god I'm away from the hospital and their single ply razor blades.
showler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 3:28 PM   #5272
Symbolic
Russian Wrestling Number 1

Last night one of my roommate's drunk friends that was staying here decided it would be hilarious to let a stray cat in our house overnight and now I can't get it to leave our yard
Symbolic is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 4:13 PM   #5273
Erpin
Dusty

Called my parents on Tuesday telling them I was planning on moving out Thursday the 19th, and asked them when their next red sox game was (figuring that they wouldn't have to go too far out of their way to drop off a suitcase and pick up some of my stuff). She said she didn't know and that she would call me back. Ok...

I called the house today, and nobody answered the phone. Ok... call both my mom and dad's cell phones. Mom picks up. "Hey, mom. You never called me back about the suitcase. I was wondering when you guys were planning on dropping it off." "Oh, well we're in Connecticut"

...why do my parents have this fucking awesome way of going out of state when I'm supposed to be moving? Seriously? This is the fucking fourth time they're doing this to me. I don't have a car. I don't have anything to pack with except for trash bags which would be fine except fr the fact that I have delicate things that need to be packed carefully. And you know- I don't have enough anxiety about moving the way it is.

No HoBo
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 4:49 PM   #5274
Metalliman
RadCon

Stuck in a car with 3 hardcore republicans...shoot me.
Metalliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 5:35 PM   #5275
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my last day in New York could not possibly have been more intense, both in good and bad ways.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
| TURMBLRR | TUG ON STEAM
build me a star is offline   Reply With Quote