Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2010-11-17, 9:42 PM   #2976
Shriketastic
Slurpalicious

AKA: Dumbass McBootarse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makes no Spence View Post
I was working on a spreadsheet at work for hours and accidently didn't save it (not realizing what I did until it suddenly disappeared from my screen and when I re-opened it, it was all gone)... So I'm currently sitting at home working on re-doing the entire thing... which sucks.

You don't have autosave enabled?

Old 2010-11-17, 9:59 PM   #2977
Requesting Bear
ZomBear

I normally disable autosave because when working in large spreadsheets it's a PITA.

Well...
Requesting Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 11:18 PM   #2978
Makes no Spence
let the wild rumpus start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requesting Bear View Post
I normally disable autosave because when working in large spreadsheets it's a PITA.
This. That and I'm running all Microsoft products through Citrix, which in turn makes crap even slower. So I'll be in the middle of a spreadsheet and it's autosaving every 5 minutes or whatever and the whole thing freezes up momentarily.

Though I was hoping I had it still enabled for some random reason, but alas I didn't.

please don't go. i'll eat you up, i love you so.
A Weighty Mix
3DS friend code: 0173-1309-0439

Makes no Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 6:40 AM   #2979
Shriketastic
Slurpalicious

Had the talk with the boss, and it went surprisingly well. Now all that needs be done is to go through their test next week, ace it, get hired, be payed five bucks an hour more to be trained, then be payed an extra buck and a half an hour to work evenings and weekends.
Old 2010-11-18, 12:41 PM   #2980
Erpin
Dusty

My 28 year old sister needs to get a hip replacement, and is morbidly obese. She obviously needs to lose weight before the surgery, and now my mom's freaking out over it, and saying that she'll never have kids etc etc. You never know though, this might be the best thing that's ever happened for her.

No HoBo
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 8:56 PM   #2981
Tebriel
Here's my answer!

My entire family has been sick this week, me included. I've done 99% of the heavy lifting, cleaning up more puke than I can count, the worst diapers I've ever seen, I've missed a ton of work, and now my wife gets diagnosed with adenomyosis which, aside from causing her intense pain and discomfort, could affect our future fertility and sex life.

Oh, and one of my best friends has reinitiated divorce proceedings against his wife, also a close friend.

ARG
"And lo, the day is coming and is now here when true worshippers will worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth. And without pants" -Book of No Pants, 4:23
#5 of 12
Steam ID: tebriel
Gamespy ID: [FO]Tebriel
Layton Avatar made by TheRyuuijnMike from gamefaqs.com
Tebriel is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 9:00 PM   #2982
Bester
Returning Mighty Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
My 28 year old sister needs to get a hip replacement,[...] and now my mom's freaking out over it, and saying that she'll never have kids etc etc.
Huh? I know someone who had to have a hip replacement young because of an auto-immune disease that ate her cartilage, but I don't remember anyone mentioning that being an issue. She was warned that she'd have limited range of movement. Which would limit ... positions during sex., but nothing else. However, this person had already had her tubes tied so maybe they just never brought it up.

For the actual birth, there's always a C-Section.

As for me:

Timing sucks.

Right now everyone I know has this horrible weeks long cold/bug that just won't go away. Even a friend's Doctor just told us that he'd had it for five weeks before it finally went away.

The problem? I've just started on anti-anxiety/depression medications and this damn cold started about the point where the SSRI would be starting to work. So I have no way of telling if something is a side effect of the meds that I should be concerned about, or just me being sick.

Last edited by Bester; 2010-11-18 at 9:22 PM.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 10:53 PM   #2983
Concertina
nerf!

My friend was a victim of a hate crime because of his sexuality and I don't know how to help him. He now is dealing with the trauma while also being out of a job because the assault happened a few blocks from his job and he is terrified to walk around there now.

pillows de radio: I can't imagine anything healthy or constructive coming out of seeing a sex surrogate unless your problem is a lack of sex with strange counselors in your life.

Concertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-18, 11:53 PM   #2984
Erpin
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bester View Post
Huh? I know someone who had to have a hip replacement young because of an auto-immune disease that ate her cartilage, but I don't remember anyone mentioning that being an issue. She was warned that she'd have limited range of movement. Which would limit ... positions during sex., but nothing else. However, this person had already had her tubes tied so maybe they just never brought it up.

For the actual birth, there's always a C-Section.
This is what I told my mom, and there are even more options than that too- surrogate mothers, adoption... she's mostly just freaking out thinking she wouldn't be able to carry it herself. Also: since she's so overweight my mom's also worried she won't lose the weight for the surgery fast enough. But to be quite frank, she is so large the weight will practically melt off of her WITHOUT exercise if she just ate better and watched her portions. I mean, I managed to lose 48 lbs (and kept it off) since June, and I was not nearly as large as she is. And for reference her doctor told her that stomach stapling is an option (insurance would cover it). She doesn't want to do it (and I don't blame her) but it's also hitting my mom hard since everyone in my family had been trying to help her out with her weight issues for so long and instead of her being ready to do it on her own, she's kind of getting forced into it.

arg, now I'm just ranting...

No HoBo
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-20, 11:21 AM   #2985
Brent Not Broken
has his doubts

I spent my Saturday morning cleaning up snail shit.
Old 2010-11-21, 1:33 AM   #2986
dane
just sitting

AKA: Trickster

i've got fucking cauliflower ear starting in my left ear. fantastic!
dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 2:00 AM   #2987
Say Yes To The Wes
Samwise Gamegenie

AKA: Astyanax, Faxanadu, Bayou Billy

Number of consecutive days I've worked so far = 27

27 days = 648 hours

317 of those hours = at Work (according to my timecards)

216 of those hours = Sleep (assuming 8 hours/day)

4.25 hours/day = average "free time" (the left over 115 hours/27)

i want to die.
Say Yes To The Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 3:58 AM   #2988
blackjack
Fascist Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
My 28 year old sister needs to get a hip replacement, and is morbidly obese. She obviously needs to lose weight before the surgery, and now my mom's freaking out over it, and saying that she'll never have kids etc etc. You never know though, this might be the best thing that's ever happened for her.
My sister needed pretty serious surgery for her hip dysplasia this summer, but she is already around and about, walking without crutches.

She was also over-weight prior to the surgery, but made a good effort to lose some weight. It worked, for the most part, but she's put some of it back on in the recovery months.

The stressful part of this is when family try to remind her she needs to keep the weight off or risk hampering her recovery and she lashes-out. But everyone is touchy about their weight.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 8:48 PM   #2989
Bester
Returning Mighty Pirate

Remember the friend I mentioned whose husband left her and their four year old daughter? They're managing money wise for now with everyone's help, but really sucks to see what this has done to the kid. Nightmares, crying, etc. However, she's also started showing issues believing what anyone says to her at this point.

Oh, did I mention, the kid's fifth birthday is coming up?

Last edited by Bester; 2010-11-21 at 8:51 PM.
Old 2010-11-21, 10:27 PM   #2990
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

My sister totaled our car today on our way to see Harry Potter. She missed the turnoff for the theater, and we drove over a really high curb and fucked up the entire front/underside of the car. We were both okay, but the car definitely wasn't.

So, we didn't see Harry Potter, and we no longer have a car.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
| TURMBLRR | TUG ON STEAM
build me a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 10:29 PM   #2991
Odyssey
What kind of fuckery

That's a dvd boxquote if I've ever seen one.

Police brand.
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 10:33 PM   #2992
Jimmy McForum
december is coming

AKA: Thews McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by build me a star View Post
My sister totaled our car today on our way to see Harry Potter. She missed the turnoff for the theater, and we drove over a really high curb and fucked up the entire front/underside of the car. We were both okay, but the car definitely wasn't.

Ugh, that's horsepucky--I did that one time, almost drove the engine up into the cabin.

now available

working class paladin
Harlan Ellison.
Jimmy McForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 10:36 PM   #2993
Inspector Spacetime
in my DARSIT

AKA: KaePes, MoxiePoppet, Track 6

I got a speeding ticket on my way to school Friday. I just paid one totaling $180 last month I got on a different route.

I have no idea how much my insurance is going to go up, or how many points I "have left to get" before my Texas license is forfeit. I just know I've had like seven over the past five years and I seem to get them in these close-together groupings.

Edit: Apparently Texas clears points after three years and even if I accumulate six, I just have to pay a surcharge. Which would still totally suck--but at least I get to keep my license.

Last edited by Inspector Spacetime; 2010-11-21 at 10:47 PM.
Inspector Spacetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 10:43 PM   #2994
Bester
Returning Mighty Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by build me a star View Post

Reminds me of when I first moved up here. Glori came down to pick me up while my parents were gone. (Short version, 18, but bad home situation.) The town I grew up near has this one part of the road where there's a fork. If you keep going (mostly) straight, the road suddenly becomes a one way street going the wrong way. You're supposed to bear right to keep going. Glori, and most visitors, didn't know this. (and of course the legally blind guy in the passenger seat had no clue either.)

So she sees the sudden shift to the one way, panics, and runs up on the median. Hitting the sign in the process. So here we are on a median in a station wagon packed with everything I own. We sit there for almost an hour with people, including a few cops, just driving by and doing nothing. Finally a female cop pulls up and tells us:

"Weeeeell, we usually get about one out of towner every few days who does this. Most locals just keep goin' down tha wrong way. See that yard over there? That's where the big rigs wind up. This'll probably run ya'll 'bout $500 at the shop down tha' road an' that's probably your deductible anyway so I wouldn't bother with insurance."

Sure enough, that's about what it cost to get the car fixed up. Meanwhile we had to call another online friend in the area to pick me up just in case.

Last edited by Bester; 2010-11-21 at 11:48 PM.
Old 2010-11-21, 10:47 PM   #2995
Kaete
if wishes were fishes

It drives me crazy when towns put in dangerous or very poorly marked hazards on their roads.

Especially when they put in the low cement medians and don't light them. I've never hit them, but I've seen some that are car destruction traps just waiting to happen. At least slap some yellow paint on there or something!
Kaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 11:24 PM   #2996
Kennard
Solrock n' roll

So I ruined things pretty bad with the lady I love last night because I told her the truth about something that I had been lying about. It was a relatively major thing, though I don't think unrecoverable. Either way, I'm across the world from her for another month and I doubt she will bother with me. I've gone through so much shit for her and to be with her, and I think this is really the first shitty thing I've done to her, but I doubt she will forgive me or trust me again. I didn't even need to tell her the truth, I just felt like being 100% honest and don't wanna be that person who is holding back something. I didn't cheat on her, it was just some stupid lie that I had been keeping up and finally came clean about. I know it is shitty. I just...I don't know if I feel worse that I hurt her or that I could have gotten away with that lie forever. I think I really fucked up. I don't have any friends here in China to vent to about this, so thanks thread. FUCK. Sorry for the wall of text and high school level emo bullshit rant.
Old 2010-11-21, 11:51 PM   #2997
Bester
Returning Mighty Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaete View Post
It drives me crazy when towns put in dangerous or very poorly marked hazards on their roads.

Especially when they put in the low cement medians and don't light them. I've never hit them, but I've seen some that are car destruction traps just waiting to happen. At least slap some yellow paint on there or something!
Glori still insists that there's something fishy going on in that town. Afterward I remembered some point during high school where some friends were complaining about some part of a road being made into a one way for no reason, but I'd never paid much attention.

Last edited by Bester; 2010-11-21 at 11:54 PM.
Old 2010-11-21, 11:53 PM   #2998
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bester View Post
Reminds me of when I first moved up here. Glori came down to pick me up while my parents were gone. (Short version, 18, but bad home situation.) The town I grew up near has this one part of the road where there's a fork. If you keep going (mostly) straight, the road suddenly becomes a one way street going the wrong way. You're supposed to bear right to keep going. Glori, and most visitors, didn't know this. (and of course the legally blind guy in the passenger seat had no clue either.)

So she sees the sudden shift to the one way, panics, and runs up on the median. Hitting the sign in the process. So here we are on a median in a station wagon packed with everything I own. We sit there for almost an hour with people, including a few cops, just driving by and doing nothing. Finally a female cop pulls up and tells us:

"Weeeeell, we usually get about one out of towner every few days who does this. Most locals just keep goin' down tha wrong way. See that yard over there? That's where the big rigs wind up. This'll probably run ya'll 'bout $500 at the shop down tha' road an' that's probably your deductible anyway so I wouldn't bother with insurance."

Sure enough, that's about what it cost to get the car fixed up. Meanwhile we had to call another online friend in the area to pick me up just in case.
Yeah this is pretty much what happened. The theater USED to have a giant blinking neon marquee signpost thing that flashed all sorts of shit and was impossible to miss. Apparently in the last four years since I've lived here, that shit broke. So we didn't see the theater coming, and the entrance is structured so it LOOKS like there's another drive way that leads into the theater parking lot but whoops it's actually just part of a roundabout thing that's really an exit and basically long story short we wound up barreling full speed over a pretty high curb onto the grass.

The best part is, the cop who rolled up to see what had happened wound up being this guy who was our next door neighbor for our entire childhood. Pretty embarrassing. He said he sees more or less the same accident once every couple months though.

edit: Basically Loews needs to fix their goddamn sign.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
| TURMBLRR | TUG ON STEAM

Last edited by build me a star; 2010-11-21 at 11:56 PM.
build me a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 9:10 AM   #2999
stagepin
Hanging out backstage

I'm officially done with November. It's been a shitty month.

My grandmother fell and broke her hip and fractured her elbow about two weeks ago. We lost my cousin to an embolism from his knee surgery a day later. My parents went down to Knoxville for the funeral, and on the way back they hit a deer at about 70mph. Wrecked their car, but they were ok. On Friday, my grandmother passed away from complications from the hip surgery. I just found out that last night, we also lost a very close family friend (she was basically like a grandmother to me, but my family "adopts" a lot of people).

I'm just done. Three deaths in two weeks (thankfully not 5) had kinda sucked all the holiday cheer out of me.
Old 2010-11-22, 9:12 AM   #3000
Shriketastic
Slurpalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagepin View Post
I'm officially done with November. It's been a shitty month.

My grandmother fell and broke her hip and fractured her elbow about two weeks ago. We lost my cousin to an embolism from his knee surgery a day later. My parents went down to Knoxville for the funeral, and on the way back they hit a deer at about 70mph. Wrecked their car, but they were ok. On Friday, my grandmother passed away from complications from the hip surgery. I just found out that last night, we also lost a very close family friend (she was basically like a grandmother to me, but my family "adopts" a lot of people).

I'm just done. Three deaths in two weeks (thankfully not 5) had kinda sucked all the holiday cheer out of me.

Shit, dude, I'm sorry.