Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-05-12, 11:27 AM   #176
Vaal
Vaguely Obscene

AKA: Vaalingrade

Khalil will spend a goodly amount of time circulating. Whenever food is offered, he will thank the server profusely and eat just on the edge of ravenously to maintain the cover of being a man used to luxury, but missing out on it.

If anyone asks, he will tell the story of hard times above and thank Fate for Nasrin's generosity and patience in helping him get back to at least stable footing, but will always insist on speaking of 'happier things'.

The Descendants - Twitter: @ParadoxOmni

Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 11:40 AM   #177
Endless_Harlequin
Visually Appealing

((Not worth the risk I guess... ))

Nasrin sighed, then smiled. " I hope you are right, Khalil. I do not know how easily it may be for us, to manage to take anything from the palace itself. Though the challenge it self is rather attractive. Following some of the other's home and robbing them blind... Now that is a lovely idea."

Upon their arrival, Nasrin let Khalil handle most of the talking. He was better at it after all. It had been difficult, parting with her things. It was enough to foul her mood. She frowned, watching them seal her things into the chest. The key she tucked into her pocket. The elf would accept the cup of juice. Naturally, she inspected the cup, debating whether or not it was worth trying to take. It wasn't particularly exceptional, by her tastes at any rate. Instead, she sipped the juice and let her gaze move over the room curiously.

She would linger close to her companion. It wasn't hard to play the part of a comonner. More or less, she was herself and she simply did not speak unless she was cued to. And then she was most agreeable, keeping it short and sweet.
Old 2012-05-12, 1:28 PM   #178
viking099
Totally Meta

Garen readily hands over his belongings, making sure to keep his holy symbol in plain sight around his neck. He figures that if having it will be a problem, a guard will notice and tell him to put it away.

He gazes around the garden in amazement; even the servants are dressed in finery worth more than he had spent on all of his own clothes. He takes a cup that is offered to him by one of the servants and sips it. A wonderful blend of favors greets him; he can't identify any of them, but the hint of fermentation caps it off perfectly.

Garen wanders around the garden, exchanging greetings and brief conversations with the other guests. Al Badia and Al Hadhar alike are friendly and equally excited to be a guest of this event. The noise of the celebrations outside the palace seeps into the Court, but it is quickly drowned out by the volume of excited chatter as more guests arrive and mingle.

He notices a pair of guests who seem to have some sort of relationship. The elf stays mostly silent, speaking only every so often, and briefly at that. The human seems to talk nonstop, only pausing to wolf down delicacies or to allow the elf to speak her few words.

Garen looks around curiously to see if Jarib is around, but none of the faces seem familiar. He realizes that his cup is empty (again), and spots a servant with a pitcher serving the unusual pair he had seen earlier, and walks over to get his cup filled.

Click here for response to the spoiled part
As Garen approaches the servant, he hears the cry of the strangely dressed man Knowledge checkUnskilled Knowledge(local) check: FAIL , and approaches him. "What unkindness has befallen you that you would weep on a day such as this? I haven't seen an unhappy tear shed all this week."

Last edited by viking099; 2012-05-12 at 1:58 PM.
viking099 is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 4:32 PM   #179
Thumperhead
Stay out of the dog park

Farid hands his jambiya to the mamluks, and after receiving his key enters the Court. He graciously accepts the fruit juice, glad to quench his thirst in the heat of the afternoon. The air of calm is a welcome change to the throngs he had experienced earlier in the day. Still, the wonders of the Court threaten to overwhelm Farid’s sensibilities. The trees blooming out of season are an amazing sight, yet Farid restrains himself from reaching out to stroke the tree trunks. Surely, if anyone has the ability to bring such a thing to pass, it must be the Grand Caliph.

Farid partakes of the appetizers, marveling at the exotic new tastes and expressing his thanks to the servants as they pass. Yet as delectable as the food might be, thirst is foremost on Farid’s mind. He sees a servant with a pitcher near one of the corners and approaches, patiently waiting as a few other guests, human, elf and dwarf, are served.

Response to the spoilerThe commotion of the foreigner from the Ruined Kingdoms (for such he must be, dressed as he is) attracts Farid’s attention. He listens to the man’s plea, but takes caution in weighing his words. For all the Kingdoms are populated by the Enlightened, Farid knows that the denizens of Medina al-Afyal strive to take control of the other islands of the Crowded Sea such as his homeland of Bariya. Call it not mistrust, but careful consideration which keeps Farid from leaping at once to the man’s aid. He will listen, and perhaps lend a hand as needed.

((ah, a nice short family visit. Luckily they were just passing through; they could just as easily have been here for days))
Old 2012-05-13, 7:34 AM   #180
suncrush
Was'st los, kleine Kloppl?

Khalil, your gambit seems like it has real promise. You get lots of sympathetic comments from the servers, and plenty of extra food. You’re getting confident that when more guests arrive a bit later for the full dinner, you’ll have no problem finding just the right kind of mark.

As Fate would have it, all four of you are standing nearby when Garen says, "What unkindness has befallen you that you would weep on a day such as this? I haven't seen an unhappy tear shed all this week."

“Oh great is my woe!” the man wails. “Far have I travelled, from fair Dihliz to honor the Caliph with my poetry. What Fate that little Omar would catch the notice of the Grand Caliph, the Enlightened of the Enlightened. We have no fate but the fate we are given! I have compiled my finest ruba’iyat with only quatrains fit for the man greater than any kings, lesser only than the gods and Loregiver. The book was bound in the finest crocodile leather to spare it the depredations of the brutal jungle, wrapped in oilcloth to protect it from the sprays of the seas, and borne in a leather case to protect it from the desert sands. For, surely it is the greatest ruba’iyat fate has ever known.

“But alas, I have lost it! I had it here but an hour ago, for the rehearsal, and I have lost it! Aiya! We have no fate, but the fate we are given!”

For a moment he falls back into weeping. Then he says, “Say, you look like clever folk, and you must be, for were you not clever enough to attract the guards’ attention you would not be here. We will be called to the dinner when the sun is fully set, and the bright star Zohra lights up the sky. If you can find my ruba’iyat before then, I will reward you most handsomely.”

The man is dressed in very expensive clothes, so he seems a man of the means to give a good reward. (An Appraise check will give you an idea how expensive.) Nazrin, as the local, you’d guess you have an hour to an hour-and-a-half until Zohra rises. There are a number of people in the courtyard you could talk to, who may or may not have any useful information.

• A man dressed in finery reading quietly to himself from a small leather book
  • The reader's bodyguard
  • A man chatting and laughing with a few of the mamluk guards
  • A woman with a face like an angry hawk, looking wis displeasure into her drinking cup
  • A man dressed in flowing sliks, with copious bands and ribbons, and a large gold earring
  • A grumpy server
  • A peculiar ajami (foreign) man in peculiar ajami clothing.

suncrush is online now I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 9:35 AM   #181
Vaal
Vaguely Obscene

Khalil gets a glint in his eye and gives Nasrin a meaningful look before turning to Omar.

"My friend, what you say is true; we have no fate but what we are given. But as I was just saying to my most hospitable friend here, for every setback we find, fate provides an opportunity for us to seek out. Your wondrous words were lost, and yet you have found your way to us.

"Not so recently was it that I learned the important of the providence of other to the unfortunate after living so long as a creature of greed. Gladly will I give my aid to you as a form of passing on the good fortune my friend has given to me.

"Pray tell; where did you last see your book, and who present here and now may have seen what happened to it?"

Old 2012-05-13, 9:43 AM   #182
suncrush

"Oh, poor absent-minded Omar whose fate it is to be so forgetful. I had my book at the rehearsal in the court by the gardens, where the dinner will be served. I can tell you that that despicable poet there (he indicates the man with the bodyguard) whose talent is less than his jealousy was there, as he is the man to read before me.

"Also, that man there with the guard is the palace librarian who has asked me to stay in Huzuz until a copy of my Ruba'iyat can be made.

"The woman with a raptor's face was inspecting the wine for the dinner.

"That peacock of a man was there, making himself a nuisance talking to all the pretty girls.

"The grumpy man there was having an argument with the prettiest of them all, a maiden of the palace until the strange man in the strange clothes came over and interrupted the quarrel."

Old 2012-05-13, 9:55 AM   #183
Endless_Harlequin
Visually Appealing

Nasrin caught on quick enough. There was more than one way to make a dime and they'd found an alternative means. She smiled, doing her best to be charming. It was a stretch for her, but she managed.

"Did you simply misplace it, or do you think someone might have taken it?" She asked, looking round.

Edit- We posted at the same time...damn it...
Old 2012-05-13, 10:09 AM   #184
suncrush

"I searched the whole court. Who would take it but that rotten poet, Harud"

Old 2012-05-13, 10:37 AM   #185
Vaal
Vaguely Obscene

Khalil nods his understanding. "That seems most likely, but if he knows where it is hidden, he has all the reasons in the world not to reveal so to anyone. No, I believe he must be confronted with truth first and that shall come from the others. "If you would all be so kind as to excuse me, I believe the dour servant shall be the best palce to start.

[Assuming the others give him leave, Khalil will approach the servant with a broad and friendly smile.]

"Good sir, if I might be so bold, how is it that you can appear so upset in such wonderful surroundings? Might I be of assistance in improving your mood?"

Old 2012-05-13, 12:04 PM   #186
suncrush

"humph. It's that stupid A'isha. Always making up her stupid songs when she is supposed to be helping me work. She can barely sing and her lyrics are just insipid. She just sings those stupid tales she loves so much. Humph. So I had to set up all the cushions at the tables myself."

Old 2012-05-13, 12:19 PM   #187
Vaal
Vaguely Obscene

"What ineffable shame. She should be glad to even be involved in such a momentous occasion and take some pride in her work, am I right? Not like you, good sir. I could tell the moment I arrived that a hand of skill and pride went into the preparations here. Unlike this young lady, you, my friend can hold you head up high at a job well and skillfully done."

Khalil will wait for a reaction before going into questioning him.

[[It it's necessary, he only got a 12 total on Diplomacy. ]]

Old 2012-05-13, 12:30 PM   #188
Thumperhead
Stay out of the dog park

Farid’s caution is eased somewhat on learning that Omar is not from the isle of Afyal. As he listens to Omar’s description of the other guests, he briefly looks each one over.

“My friend, it would seem that the librarian at least would be as eager as you to locate your book. As well, being familiar with the workings of the palace, he may have valuable insight into the people gathered here. If I may, I will ask him if he can shed some light on the events that have passed this afternoon.”

[Farid approaches the librarian]

“Learned sir, if it pleases you, could you tell me of the intricacies of tonight’s event? I have noticed many wonders here, and would not want to offend if I were to mishandle them. For instance, what happens if an item is taken up by a guest and removed from its place?”
Old 2012-05-13, 1:11 PM   #189
suncrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
"What ineffable shame. She should be glad to even be involved in such a momentous occasion and take some pride in her work, am I right? Not like you, good sir. I could tell the moment I arrived that a hand of skill and pride went into the preparations here. Unlike this young lady, you, my friend can hold you head up high at a job well and skillfully done."

Khalil will wait for a reaction before going into questioning him.

[[It it's necessary, he only got a 12 total on Diplomacy. ]]
"See, this is an easy thing to understand. What cruel fate to be forced to work with such a woman. How can I help you this fine evening?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperhead View Post
Farid’s caution is eased somewhat on learning that Omar is not from the isle of Afyal. As he listens to Omar’s description of the other guests, he briefly looks each one over.

“My friend, it would seem that the librarian at least would be as eager as you to locate your book. As well, being familiar with the workings of the palace, he may have valuable insight into the people gathered here. If I may, I will ask him if he can shed some light on the events that have passed this afternoon.”

[Farid approaches the librarian]

“Learned sir, if it pleases you, could you tell me of the intricacies of tonight’s event? I have noticed many wonders here, and would not want to offend if I were to mishandle them. For instance, what happens if an item is taken up by a guest and removed from its place?”
His eyes get wide with alarm, "Oh no! Has something gone missing?"

Old 2012-05-13, 1:23 PM   #190
Thumperhead
Stay out of the dog park

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncrush View Post
His eyes get wide with alarm, "Oh no! Has something gone missing?"
“Oh no, sir! My deepest apologies, it was not my intent to alarm. To my knowledge none of the Grand Caliph’s possessions have been mishandled. It is simply that one of the guests may have misplaced one of his own personal items. I was hoping that you could tell me how such an item might be distinguished from those of the most high.”
Old 2012-05-13, 1:42 PM   #191
suncrush

Quote:
“Oh no, sir! My deepest apologies, it was not my intent to alarm. To my knowledge none of the Grand Caliph’s possessions have been mishandled. It is simply that one of the guests may have misplaced one of his own personal items. I was hoping that you could tell me how such an item might be distinguished from those of the most high.”
The Librarian has a quiet word with the guard captain, and then says to you, "nothing missing has been found. What is it that you are looking for, my good sir."

Old 2012-05-13, 1:53 PM   #192
Thumperhead
Stay out of the dog park

Quote:
The Librarian has a quiet word with the guard captain, and then says to you, "nothing missing has been found. What is it that you are looking for, my good sir."
"Sir, the poet Omar seems to be missing his ruba'iyat. I understand that he is to read from it this evening before it is to be copied into your library. I would not want to see the festivities marred by its absence."
Old 2012-05-13, 2:07 PM   #193
suncrush

Quote:
"Sir, the poet Omar seems to be missing his ruba'iyat. I understand that he is to read from it this evening before it is to be copied into your library. I would not want to see the festivities marred by its absence."
He is a little puzzled, then he asks the guard captain to find Yusuf the scribe and ask if he has accidentally taken the book early. Yusuf is found within five minutes, and he reports that the last he saw, Omar had set the book down on a table at the rehearsal. The captain confirms that his men have checked that courtyard and have found nothing, but they are searching the area discretely, to avoid raising any alarm among the guests.

Old 2012-05-13, 2:07 PM   #194
Vaal
Vaguely Obscene

"Actually, my friend, it has to do with the festivities. If you would see that man there," he indicates Omar, "He is to be part of the night's entertainment, a poet by trade, except it seems that his ruba’iyat has gone missing while he had it here in the palace.

"By any chance have you seen it? It was in a leather case and wrapped in oilcloth, but should it have been removed from its protective coverings, it should still not be difficult to miss; it is bound in crocodile hide. Have you by any chance see it or heard mention of it? I would just hate for this happy occasion to be sullied by this simple misfortune."

Last edited by Vaal; 2012-05-13 at 2:09 PM. Reason: replaced 'marred' with 'sullied'
Old 2012-05-13, 2:17 PM   #195
suncrush

Quote:
"Actually, my friend, it has to do with the festivities. If you would see that man there," he indicates Omar, "He is to be part of the night's entertainment, a poet by trade, except it seems that his ruba’iyat has gone missing while he had it here in the palace.

"By any chance have you seen it? It was in a leather case and wrapped in oilcloth, but should it have been removed from its protective coverings, it should still not be difficult to miss; it is bound in crocodile hide. Have you by any chance see it or heard mention of it? I would just hate for this happy occasion to be sullied by this simple misfortune."
Alas, it is not my fate to have seen such a book, but if I hear from one of the other guests about it, I will be sure to tell you. Have you asked the other poet?

Old 2012-05-13, 2:31 PM   #196
Thumperhead
Stay out of the dog park

Quote:
He is a little puzzled, then he asks the guard captain to find Yusuf the scribe and ask if he has accidentally taken the book early. Yusuf is found within five minutes, and he reports that the last he saw, Omar had set the book down on a table at the rehearsal. The captain confirms that his men have checked that courtyard and have found nothing, but they are searching the area discretely, to avoid raising any alarm among the guests.
“Many thanks for your guidance, kind sir. If it please, I will return to Omar and let him know of your assistance. If Fate is kind, surely the ruba’iyat will be located with all swiftness.”

[If the Librarian allows it, Farid will return to Omar and report his findings. And introduce himself as well to the poet and any of the PCs with him]
Old 2012-05-13, 3:10 PM   #197
Vaal
Vaguely Obscene

Quote:
Alas, it is not my fate to have seen such a book, but if I hear from one of the other guests about it, I will be sure to tell you. Have you asked the other poet?
"I have not, but thank you for your help. I often find that those who took the care to ensure the greatness of these celebrations at more knowledgeable than the guests. I will leave you to your duties then, with my thanks."

Khalil starts to go, but pauses, "One more thing; Good Omar mentioned that when you were rightly upbraiding that ungrateful young woman, you were interrupted. Might I ask by whom? It seems to me prudent to know exactly who was present that I might be through in my questioning."

Old 2012-05-13, 3:56 PM   #198
Endless_Harlequin
Visually Appealing

Nasrin stayed close at Khalil's heels, watching those he was speaking with closely. So far, she saw little reason to get involved directly, other than to stand behind her companion with a frown upon her face.

She was more than a little frustrated. Were they not in such polite company, she would have encouraged a more physical approach to finding the missing book. She doubted though, that anyone would appreciate that though. Instead, she stood quietly, her arms folded, waiting for him to finish.
Old 2012-05-13, 4:34 PM   #199
suncrush

Quote:
“Many thanks for your guidance, kind sir. If it please, I will return to Omar and let him know of your assistance. If Fate is kind, surely the ruba’iyat will be located with all swiftness.”

[If the Librarian allows it, Farid will return to Omar and report his findings. And introduce himself as well to the poet and any of the PCs with him]
Omar sighs, and says, "The guards are very efficient at finding troublemakers, but I doubt they will do much good finding my ruba'iyat. Please, you must hurry! Time is of the essence!"

Quote:
"I have not, but thank you for your help. I often find that those who took the care to ensure the greatness of these celebrations at more knowledgeable than the guests. I will leave you to your duties then, with my thanks."

Khalil starts to go, but pauses, "One more thing; Good Omar mentioned that when you were rightly upbraiding that ungrateful young woman, you were interrupted. Might I ask by whom? It seems to me prudent to know exactly who was present that I might be through in my questioning."
He scowls. "It was that meddlesome ajami, Sagacious Wu. He thinks he's so damn wise all the time. He always spends time with his damned books and their devil writing. I wouldn't be surprised if he has what you seek."

Old 2012-05-13, 4:58 PM   #200
Vaal
Vaguely Obscene

"Interesting. Many thanks, my friend. I will make sure that all know who to credit for the hard work put in here."

He ahead off, angling for the ajami. As he does, he looks to Nasrin. "Any thoughts on what we know so far? More than one viewpoint is often crucial to solving problems like this, as witnesses tend not to know or wish to reveal all truth."