Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-05-04, 6:37 PM   #1
Lammasu
Social Justice Warrior

Games Has anyone here actually played Daikatana?

Because I tried to watch a Let's play of it but the first one was just 10 minuets of this awful boring cut scene. How bad is the actual game?

XBox live: LammasuRex
Lammasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 6:51 PM   #2
Morpork
Red Fire Trucks!

I played the demo thinking "it can't be that bad, right?"... well, yeah, it was. At least the demo was, which meant that combined with all the bad reviews, there was no way I'd be buying it.

Unfortunately, since I played the demo so long ago (well "long" in computer terms), I can't specifically remember what I didn't like, just that "this is terrible" and "what the hell" were phrases that I uttered aloud while playing it.

Last edited by Morpork; 2012-05-04 at 8:03 PM.
Morpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 7:43 PM   #3
Bassetking
Sophisticated Ignorance

I own a physical copy of Daikatana.

It really is as bad as all that.

Write my curses in cursive

FO 2011-2012 BQBL, 2011-2012 Survivor III, 2012 March Madness Brackets

Bassetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 8:28 PM   #4
Sam
GENERIC PYLONS $6.99ea BUY

AKA: Dypthropos, This is amazing

even the texXXX demos with the mp and weapons was shit. I just felt like all the weapons were weird and terrible.
Old 2012-05-04, 8:34 PM   #5
Sam
GENERIC PYLONS $6.99ea BUY

AKA: Dypthropos, This is amazing

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Daikatana
Old 2012-05-04, 8:35 PM   #6
Nick
HEY HEY GET READY FOR THIS

The only game ever made worse than Extreme Paintbrawl

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 9:41 PM   #7
Dara
Ask Me About Loom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The only game ever made worse than Extreme Paintbrawl
Bringing back memories of PC Gamer's classic review of this game.
Dara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 9:53 PM   #8
The Conqueror Worm
midwestern

I have Daikatana. The N64 version was under a buck.
May Sin ov Gommorah grace our hearts

The Conqueror Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:43 PM   #9
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

I haven't played more than the demo, but I was in computer retail when it came out. The Sega rep was handling it in NZ and he blew into our shop (one of the best when it came to pushing games because pretty much all of the retail staff were hardcore gamers and we also sponsored a 100 player LAN session back in the days before broadband was ubiquitous) and said "So, Daiktana. Should I put you down for 100 copies?"

After I'd picked myself off the ground where I'd been howling with laughter I politely explained to him that the buzz for this game was NOT good and that we'd be ordering 3 copies because I knew that there'd be at least that many people saying "It can't be that bad, surely?" and that aforementioned people would shrug off my warnings.

We sold 3 copies, we never had to order any in. Dear God it was bad.

- Me, Call of Cthulhu Mafia game 2010
Laoke is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 12:17 AM   #10
waterless
All hail Monkey Jesus

I remember getting killed by some kind of mutant frog and then some kind of turret before giving up and never playing it again; it all just seemed fundamentally wrong, as in Lovecraft-wrong.
Cannot bear very much reality.
waterless is online now I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 7:12 AM   #11
Lammasu
Social Justice Warrior

That crystal save mechanic seems familiar. Any other games use anything like that?

Old 2012-05-05, 7:35 AM   #12
Miles Standoffish
Banned

I remember back in sophomore year of high school there was an ad for carmageddon that just said IT'S MORE FUN THAN KILLING BABIES WITH AN AXE
Old 2012-05-05, 7:57 AM   #13
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Standoffish View Post
I remember back in sophomore year of high school there was an ad for carmageddon that just said IT'S MORE FUN THAN KILLING BABIES WITH AN AXE
IT WAS!

Ah, I mean, not that I'd know, naturally. But multiplayer Carmageddon was about the only 'driving' game I was ever even slightly good with. Loved it to pieces, hell even setting up a game lobby was an adventure!

- Me, Call of Cthulhu Mafia game 2010
Laoke is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 8:15 AM   #14
Nick
HEY HEY GET READY FOR THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara View Post
Yup, that was my objective haha

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 8:18 AM   #15
Lammasu
Social Justice Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara View Post
I'm gonna have to look this up.

Old 2012-05-05, 8:57 AM   #16
Sully
Victim of the Muses

AKA: apollonike

I tried to play the demo once in office depot.

I was killing time while my mom bought office supplies or something.

I was still disappointed.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 11:03 AM   #17
HauntedPixel
Meet The Deadlys™

AKA: Spook

All I remember about playing it was that I was wishing I had Superman 64 instead.
HauntedPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 11:13 AM   #18
Katara
5 Years and Going Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
I'm gonna have to look this up.
I saved a bunch of Colin Williamson's more memorable reviews onto my Hard drive years ago since he was my favorite reviewer and I wasn't sure how long PC Gamer would have them on the site, I dug through and found Daikatana.

Quote:
Daikatana (Colin Williamson)
Wow. Here it spins in my CD-ROM drive - Daikatana, a nondescript, orange compact disc, containing years of effort from dozens of designers (most of whom moved on to greener pastures during the lengthy development process). After all is said and done, there's a game waiting at the end. As everyone will painfully recall, John Romero promised to make me his bitch, and after three years of waiting, I was ready to be violated.

The game kicks off in a futuristic Kyoto, Japan, which has been reduced to a neo-industrial conglomerate ruled under the iron fist of mega-corporation head Osaka Mishima (who, coincidentally enough, looks and speaks just like Lo Pan from John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China). You assume the role of Hiro Miyamoto, a down-on-his-luck Kendo teacher, struggling to make ends meet while maintaining his cool, iron-jawed demeanor.

Late one night, Miyamoto is approached by an elderly gent named Ebihara (who must be voiced by Shadow Warrior's Lo Wang), who informs him that the present day has been twisted and warped by the evil Mishima. Apparently, it's Hiro's destiny to confront Mishima and retrieve the Daikatana - a magical time-hopping sword forged by the Ebiharas thousands of years ago.

At this point, courtesy Ninjas drop from the sky and beat the bejeezus out of Hiro, and drop him into a makeshift graveyard on the outskirts of Mishima's turf. Fortunately, Mishima has been stupid enough to leave a powerful "Ion Ripper" weapon approximately three feet from where you land. If you're reading this magazine, you should have a pretty good idea of what comes next, eh? And that's the nutshell of this "story-driven" FPS.

Getting to the Big Man ain't gonna be easy, though - this evil Mishima chap has some kind of sick fetish with creating robotic animals. He obviously gets a big discount on Evil Cyber-Frogs when he buys them in bulk from the distributor; the first few levels are packed to the brim with the damn things. When you turn a corner, you will find an evil frog. When you open a door, you will find more evil frogs. Blast open a wall, and chances are very good that evil frogs are awaiting your appearance.

After an hour of nuking cyber-Kermits and trudging through what looks like a terrible Quake II user mod, Hiro finally meets up with the man who promises to liberate him from this tedious hole of rehashed gameplay - "Superfly" Johnson (cough, cough). Mr. Johnson is the ex-head of Mishima's security, and has been portrayed with the same racial sensitivity as the characters in the feature film I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. He also serves as the first of the in-game "sidekicks" who stay by your side and fight with you.

After hooking up with Superfly and busting Ebihara's lovely daughter Mikiko out of Mishima's prison, there's some time-traveling to be done. You're dropped back into the days of Ancient Greece. The gameplay continues to be fairly uninteresting here as well - but now you've got a new set of lackluster weapons, and evil skeletons have replaced the robo-frogs. While the levels' blockiness may be realistic for the time-frame of each era, anything that reminds me of the LEGO castles I built as a kid can't be good.

After defeating a dozen levels' worth of skeletons, evil spiders, and English-speaking Grecian guards, it's onwards in time to Dark Ages Europe. Here, you defeat evil rats, evil bats, and more evil guards. Finally you arrive in futuristic Alcatraz, where you defeat evil crazed prisoners, and then an evil boss. Much like your average drunken Japanese salaryman at a karaoke bar, this game does not know when to stop.

One thing's for sure: there is an huge amount of gaming to be done in Daikatana. Each of the four episodes features its own set of weapons, textures, and monsters, and could be passed off as an average-sized game on its own. On the other hand, while there's a lot of "content" in Daikatana, there's also a lot of "content" in the 48-chapter Sonic the Hedgehog versus Aliens fan-fiction series, so we know that more does not always equal better. Actually, I get the impression that Daikatana's epic feel is more of a result of slow-paced, find-the-lever gameplay, and the sheer amount of time it takes to ensure that your moron sidekicks get from point A to point B without getting their skulls split open.

That's right - neither Superfly nor Mikiko are terribly helpful in your quest. In theory, both characters should follow you around and provide backup during heavy-fire situations. Unfortunately, the Quake II engine was never really built for this type of behavior, and the sidekicks never present themselves as more than slightly retarded AI entities who need to be babysat 24/7. You can give them basic orders via hotkeys; they'll attack, retreat, or pick up certain items if you tell them to, and even climb ladders and crawl through passageways (but they won't jump). Unfortunately, there are no commands for "Don't get crushed by the swinging door' or "Stop humping the corner of the room, dimwit."

Your partners also verbally berate you whenever you bump into them, which seems to happen at a frequency of twenty times per minute. I can only imagine how much sooner this game would have shipped had the sidekicks gotten the axe. Nevertheless, you'd better get used to them - they'll be tagging along, delivering poorly written banter and giving you headaches for around three-quarters of the game. (The only line that solicited a giggle was Superfly's threat of pounding me into "ass dust" if I accidentally shot him again.)

One easily overlooked aspect of Daikatana is the whole RPG aspect - you're actually getting something for mowing down hordes of demon frogs. Experience points are dished out whenever you dispatch an enemy, and you can allocate bonus points to abilities like speed, acrobatics, and power. If you opt to use the Daikatana for combat, the experience points are collected by the sword itself, resulting in one whoop-ass melee weapon at the end of the game.

Aside from pithy RPG elements, Daikatana also adds liberal amounts of frustration for anyone who wants to save their game whenever they want. Taking a page from those nefarious console games, you must pick up red "Save Gems" before you can make a record of your progress. I believe the majority of gamers will find this as appealing as a grapefruit-juice enema, especially when forced to replay hideous sequences over and over again (just wait until you get to the jumping puzzles - shudder).

Similarly snore-inducing is Daikatana's multiplayer deathmatching, which crams those pithy RPG nuggets into a plain-vanilla online beatdown. Yeah, there are some nice features - the maps scale based on the number of players, and "Death Tag" is fun for a few run-throughs, but the levels are pretty weak, and the weapon selection is just as gimpy as the single-player modes.

On the plus side, both you and a buddy can slog through the story in co-op mode - a feature that's been missing from a lot of FPS titles these days.

While the gameplay remains stale through all eight gajillion levels, the in-game visuals make frequent leaps between blah and beautiful. While some stages look like an amateur's first attempt at map- making, others force you to step back and admire the architecture. The Daikatana team managed to modify the Quake II engine to include volumetric fog, light flares, and wonderfully atmospheric rain and snow effects. The character textures are amazingly detailed, thanks in part to the uncredited current id Software texture artist, Kenneth Scott. Similarly top-notch is the soundtrack, a good percentage of which was composed by the also-invisible Will Loconto. I can only wonder how many people really contributed to Daikatana - I have a feeling that the actual staff is a good deal larger than the dozen fresh faces in the credits.

No matter how much we'd like to ignore the game's tortured history, the disc itself reminds us what a long, strange trip it's been - the readme file, penned by Romero himself, addresses the reader with the same nervous "Hey! We're buddies, aren't we? Ha-ha-ha!" attitude that a 10-year-old would adopt before telling his father that he just spilled a can of rubber cement on the new couch. I get the impression that Daikatana lives up to Romero's original vision for the game - and had the game been released in 1997, the gaming media would have been screaming in pleasure. If only John could use that replica Daikatana of his to teleport back to the past, and hand over the existing build to the bigwigs at Eidos to make the original Christmas '97 release date. As it stands, the release of Daikatana signals nothing more remarkable than the end of an era in fandom.

Katara is offline   Reply With Quote