Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-03-16, 4:26 PM   #601
Whiplash
everything is o.k.

AKA: Professor Lust, Haystack Calhoun, Whiplash D. Wolfwood, Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
Whoop, looks like people are taking the next step and filing FTC complaints.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...index/10065503

The least they could have done was wait for a proper explanation from Bioware/EA first.
Yeah this has gotten out of hand.
Whiplash is online now I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 4:27 PM   #602
The Lazarus
Fleee!

Quote:

The least they could have done was wait for a proper explanation from Bioware/EA first.
That's absolutely ridiculous.
The Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 4:29 PM   #603
Bylak
Angriest of elves

lol holy crap!

Bylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 4:33 PM   #604
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

Yeah OK that's the point where I personally say they've gone off the deep end. Be interesting to see how many ways the get laughed out of court.

- Me, Call of Cthulhu Mafia game 2010
Laoke is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 4:35 PM   #605
Potts
Huzzah!

AKA: Aetochtlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sensei View Post
I actually assumed it was Eden Prime when I saw the ending, but I could not remember if it had two moons or not.
Not sure if it has two moons or not, but it would certainly make sense that it would be the planet that Shepard imagines all of his friends landing on.

Though the bits of Eden Prime we saw in ME1 & ME3 looked a lot more like the Midwest US, and where the Normandy crashed looked more like Virmire, with the mountains. Though it's not like this is Star Wars, where every planet has only one type of terrain.
Old 2012-03-16, 4:38 PM   #606
Potts
Huzzah!

AKA: Aetochtlu

Quote:

Oh my god. They're taking a publisher to court, over a video game with a bad ending.

You don't hear of anyone taking Peter Moleaneaux (sp?) to court for the Fable games not living up to his astronomical promises. Or Uwe Bol, for claiming that his movies are watchable.

This is just ridiculous. I mean, the ending is not exactly what was promised, but you can't sue someone because you don't like the very end of a product that you purchased from them.
Old 2012-03-16, 4:43 PM   #607
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

I even would have been fine with an ending like this. It's simple and ambiguous enough, but it doesn't shit all over the canon and raise more questions than it answers.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
| TURMBLRR | TUG ON STEAM
build me a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 4:45 PM   #608
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Also, lol at this.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
Old 2012-03-16, 4:48 PM   #609
The Lazarus
Fleee!

I didn't even realize there was a Control Bad.
The Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 5:04 PM   #610
Xyzandra
Fezzes are cool

I feel so sad when I read the other thread and see all the people loving the game and all the choices and the future is so bright and I remember being like them.

And I know I can't warn them because that would be worse.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xyzandra/
MMO of the moment: Star Trek online/Neverwinter/SWtOR
Xyzandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 5:08 PM   #611
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

Along similar lines, I have a co-worker who hasn't been able to play much due to certification exams he is studying for. He loves the game so far (he just rescued Eve). He asked me "if the ending was everything I expected" and I gave him a total pokerface "don't want to spoil anything" response.

I want him to experience the ending without any preconceptions. If he turns out to like the ending, so be it. If he doesn't, I'd still want him to dislike it from his own perspective.
Old 2012-03-16, 5:14 PM   #612
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Yeah man it's so hard to keep a pokerface with my friends who haven't beat it yet. I really want them to have their own unbiased go at it.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
Old 2012-03-16, 5:16 PM   #613
Yunara
Pew Pew Pew

I can't believe their choice to show Earth surviving or being destroyed is limited to a few skyscrapers in London still standing in the background......
Old 2012-03-16, 5:23 PM   #614
frogurt
Banned

Quote:
“There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t say any more than that…”
Interview with Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)

Interviewer: [Regarding the numerous possible endings of Mass Effect 2] “Is that same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3?”
Hudson: “Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.”
-Interview with Casey Hudson (Director)

Fuck 'em. There's no "proper explanation" that would excuse blatant misrepresentation like this.

Last edited by frogurt; 2012-03-16 at 7:56 PM.
frogurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 5:23 PM   #615
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by build me a star View Post
Yeah man it's so hard to keep a pokerface with my friends who haven't beat it yet. I really want them to have their own unbiased go at it.
Yeah, I doubt this guy will like the ending when he sees it.

Him: I love Mass Effect. It's my favorite sci-fi work since they ruined Star Wars.

Me:
Old 2012-03-16, 5:24 PM   #616
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Yeah and like... I get that they wanted to leave things open to discussion and interpretation, but you can't just write a half-assed ending and then be like "lol use your imagination to fill in the rest! LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE LOL"

edit: Like, if the ending made sense it would be fun to imagine what came next. But having to figure out what the balls even HAPPENED in the first place is just poor storytelling, no way around it.

OMG TUG OMG!!!

Last edited by build me a star; 2012-03-16 at 6:31 PM.
Old 2012-03-16, 6:32 PM   #617
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

I think that the thing that makes the ending jump the shark for me so badly is the Flight of the Normandy. Everything else I can rationalise away relatively easily but seeing Joker in the Normandy fleeing from blue / green / red light and then seeing him step out of a destroyed Normandy on the surface of a planet with both members of my final squad backing him up...

Just cutting that scene out of the ending entirely would make it OK in my view. Not spectacular, but OK.

Old 2012-03-16, 6:34 PM   #618
Yunara
Pew Pew Pew

It still wouldn't be the varied endings that will be much different based on all your choices we were promised.
Old 2012-03-16, 6:36 PM   #619
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Joker saw the shitty ending coming and was trying to out-run it

OMG TUG OMG!!!
Old 2012-03-16, 6:44 PM   #620
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

Well, that would tie into the 'Many-Worlds' hypothesis that intelligent minds create universes with stories. So really what we're seeing is a classical Heinlein style ending where Joker realises that he's actually in a story, being broken out of his paradigm by such an unbelievable ending, and he gathers all the plot centric characters he can and makes a run for it.

Pity he ends up on the Forest Moon of Endor, but...

I may have to revise my HeadCanon™ now >.>

Old 2012-03-16, 6:45 PM   #621
Laconic
I've got an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoke View Post
I think that the thing that makes the ending jump the shark for me so badly is the Flight of the Normandy. Everything else I can rationalise away relatively easily but seeing Joker in the Normandy fleeing from blue / green / red light and then seeing him step out of a destroyed Normandy on the surface of a planet with both members of my final squad backing him up...

Just cutting that scene out of the ending entirely would make it OK in my view. Not spectacular, but OK.
See this is where I am as well. I can forgive them for the copy/paste color change ending. Games are expensive to make and shit's gotta ship. I'm not thrilled about it but it happens. It's that they couldn't even be bothered to have the ending MAKE SENSE that irritates me.
Old 2012-03-16, 6:46 PM   #622
Yunara
Pew Pew Pew

I think the absolute worst part about the ending is how it's attached to a game that is otherwise so godamn amazing. The plot, the dialogue, the music, it's very moving, until that last 30 minutes....
Old 2012-03-16, 6:54 PM   #623
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunara View Post
I think the absolute worst part about the ending is how it's attached to a game that is otherwise so godamn amazing. The plot, the dialogue, the music, it's very moving, until that last 30 minutes....
Be fair. It's the last 10 minutes, tops. It just feels longer.

But yeah. That's why I've kept pointing out through the thread that it's still, by any yardstick, an amazing work of art. The ending is such a jarring disconnect from the rest of it that yes, it does spoil it to a certain degree, but it doesn't change the fact that the rest is such a tour de force. Hell, just looking at the resolutions to the various relationships from ME:2. Mordin 'Someone else might have gotten it wrong'. Thrane's prayer. Jack growing up. Legion's self-sacrifice. Tali growing into her responsibilities. And then the arc of the episode itself. Anderson. The very real feeling of pressure and responsibility. The feeling that actually you can't be a pure paragon in this one, the stakes are too high for Mrs. Nice Shepard.

So many little things. You can tell that the dev team loved the setting. I wonder if that's why they screwed up the ending so bad? Because on some level, they didn't want it to end?

Old 2012-03-16, 6:57 PM   #624
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Yeah man.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
Old 2012-03-16, 7:01 PM   #625
LeBigMac

This brings up an interesting dilemma for EA and Bioware if the majority of people hate the ending. I'm guessing they are working on DLC now, but for myself, someone who bought Mass Effect 1 and 2 DLC day one it came out, I even bought some stupid weapon pack for ME2 because although I don't like to reward a company for releasing weapon DLCs, I loved the game so much that I wanted to show my appreciation by giving them my money and buying almost every item I could get my hands on. I also did the same with Dragon Age, bought all the DLC. But with the horrific mess that Dragon Age 2 was, I only purchased the main game and did not bother with the DLC that came out. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand, is such an amazing game, but everything you do amounts to that ending? why bother? Why would I purchase some DLC to do a side quest to get more war readiness or more war assets if nothing at all matters and I only get the kid giving me 3 choices and Shepard just goes along with it...

If they tell me the new ending is 10$, fuck it I'll buy it and every other DLC. 15$ ? where do I put my credit card number? Just give me something that makes replaying Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 (the best game series I ever played) worth it!

LeBigMac is offline   Reply With Quote