Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-03-15, 12:11 AM   #426
Benjamin
I get it

AKA: PomPom

I think the best case scenario would be for Bioware to release some DLC that also patches the ending.
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 12:33 AM   #427
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Just piggyback it in on whatever next DLC they were gonna put out.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
| TURMBLRR | TUG ON STEAM
build me a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 12:39 AM   #428
Laconic
I've got an idea...

I don't even want them to change the ending anymore. I mean that'd be ideal but I can't imagine they'd admit their mistake that totally. I'd be happy with some sort of half way solution. Like, keep your three bullshit choices just make them make sense.

Release some Joker DLC that explains what the fuck he was doing so that this ending even makes sense and then add some sort of epilogue for each ending that explains the functional outcome of each choice. Did I kill EDI or not? Does the fleet get its shit together and manage to revive galactic society somehow? Fill in some blanks her for christ sakes so I'm not just assuming the differences in each version beyond the color of the light show.
Old 2012-03-15, 1:03 AM   #429
Jay
Halloween was months ago

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

I can actually trace the exact moment I went from confused to pissed off.

It was right here:

I didn't want to press "OK"

I wanted there to be a "Fuck you EA, and Fuck you Bioware," button.
:I

Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 1:06 AM   #430
Jay
Halloween was months ago

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

I'd like the DLC to include characters of the writers and the EA CEO voiced by their real life counterparts, apologizing profusely, with renegade interrupt options to punch them reporter style

EDIT- I hope everybody gets that I'm not serious about this
:I

Last edited by Jay; 2012-03-15 at 1:39 AM.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 1:47 AM   #431
The Lazarus
Fleee!

The thing is that message doesn't make much sense, since Shepard dies ending the threat (unless you were awesome and got the best ending or whatever), but I guess they mean retroactively building his legend up before he stops the Reapers.
The Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 3:15 AM   #432
The Dentist
Not a Dentist

You know what? I've been thinking about Joker flying off to nowhere, and I'm gonna pretend that that's because of EDI. She mentioned altering her programming to put other people's needs ahead of her own, so imagine that her flying the Normandy away from the battle after Shepard disappears and the Crucible fails to fire is a case of her ignoring Joker's orders, in order to keep him and the crew safe. That's the sort of cold decision an A.I. in love might make, right?

Of course, none of that is actually in the game... And it doesn't explain how she picked up the rest of the squad... but I'm going to keep trying to make sense of this ending because I need to.
Old 2012-03-15, 4:51 AM   #433
Yunara
Pew Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dentist View Post
You know what? I've been thinking about Joker flying off to nowhere, and I'm gonna pretend that that's because of EDI. She mentioned altering her programming to put other people's needs ahead of her own, so imagine that her flying the Normandy away from the battle after Shepard disappears and the Crucible fails to fire is a case of her ignoring Joker's orders, in order to keep him and the crew safe. That's the sort of cold decision an A.I. in love might make, right?

Of course, none of that is actually in the game... And it doesn't explain how she picked up the rest of the squad... but I'm going to keep trying to make sense of this ending because I need to.
Nope, because remember none of your choices matter. If you yelled at Edi never to disobey an order and that she damn well better NOT edit any of her programming, you still get the Joker running away scene.
Old 2012-03-15, 5:15 AM   #434
frogurt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Justin View Post

It was right here:
This was EA wiping its ass with my pillow after shitting the bed with that ending.

I'm sure this has been said a hundred times, but did they bring in the same writing team that did the latest Deus Ex game to punch up that ending? Or is "Fuck all your choices, push a button in the final room" just a shitty idea with legs all on its own?

Fantastic game up until those last five minutes though.
Old 2012-03-15, 9:55 AM   #435
Jaxom
At last sweet tender youth

This caught my attention on sa:

"To add salt to the wounds of disappointed fans the Twitter PR team literally lied to people about the possibility of the ending not being real and possible dlc coming out to fix it. I guess they eventually collapsed under all the tweets, questions, demands and finally came clean. This doesn't relate to the ending itself but I think its pretty fucked up and rage worthy to treat your own paying customers this way. Yeah, you can't really go and demand an ending but geeze don't go mock them right in their faces after they paid 60$+ for it."

Has anyone got a clear response from Bioware/EA over this whole fiasco yet?

Cheeto eating, Noted Forum Body Policeman
Jaxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 10:01 AM   #436
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
This caught my attention on sa:

"To add salt to the wounds of disappointed fans the Twitter PR team literally lied to people about the possibility of the ending not being real and possible dlc coming out to fix it. I guess they eventually collapsed under all the tweets, questions, demands and finally came clean. This doesn't relate to the ending itself but I think its pretty fucked up and rage worthy to treat your own paying customers this way. Yeah, you can't really go and demand an ending but geeze don't go mock them right in their faces after they paid 60$+ for it."

Has anyone got a clear response from Bioware/EA over this whole fiasco yet?
Is that from their spoiler thread? There's lots of rage there, and I figured there would have been 50 pages about this alone.
Old 2012-03-15, 10:02 AM   #437
Jaxom

yeah their spoiler thread. and that was only a quote of what was said, i coudn't find the origional post about it. i'm sure i probably skimmed over it. Still pretty big on bioware's part.

Old 2012-03-15, 10:02 AM   #438
UngorEatStefan
World's Forgotten Boy

Complaints about the ending featuring you push a button are a little silly imho.

Pushes button to: Destroy Collector Base, Save Collector Base.

I mean don't get me wrong the way everything ended was terrible, but not because you were given a few choices that amounted to pushing a button.
Old 2012-03-15, 10:06 AM   #439
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
yeah their spoiler thread. and that was only a quote of what was said, i coudn't find the origional post about it. i'm sure i probably skimmed over it. Still pretty big on their part.
I think I saw that, but I'm not sure how much of that was anger-fueled misinterpretation (not dismissive of their anger, but I took all that with a grain of salt).
Old 2012-03-15, 10:07 AM   #440
Darius Sontag
Emperor of the Idiots

AKA: Shadoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngorEatStefan View Post
Complaints about the ending featuring you push a button are a little silly imho.

Pushes button to: Destroy Collector Base, Save Collector Base.

I mean don't get me wrong the way everything ended was terrible, but not because you were given a few choices that amounted to pushing a button.
Little different there for three reasons:

1) It was clear there was going to be a third game and the impression was that the choice you made would have a large impact on the 3rd game.

2) That choice was a small part of the ending. The accumulation of your choices which resulted in who died during the Suicide Mission and the revelations about what the Reapers are made the ending what it was.

3) At least you got a legit different ending cinematic and conversation with the Illusive Man as opposed to a different color for the end cinematic.
Old 2012-03-15, 10:10 AM   #441
UngorEatStefan
World's Forgotten Boy

You get a different conversation with TIM - but the cinematic is exactly the same.

Also the pushing a button isn't the only aspect of the ending, it's the getting to the teleportation device with operation hammer, getting blown up, making your way to the citadel on willpower alone, confronting the illusive man, the final conversation with Anderson, activating the Crucible. THEN pushing the button.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:24 PM   #442
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

The Starchild and his "explanation" of everything is still really dumb.

Like, the more I think about it, the more I realize that the ending as-is is probably more or less what I would have come up with if I was in 4th grade.

And honestly, even then I probably would have thought it through more.

I also decided I don't like the Indoctrination theory because it implies that only one ending (the destroy ending) is the "right" one. The alleged original ending that I posted earlier feels way more in line with the game to me, and I hope they figure out a way to reinstate that (or bust out something even better).

OMG TUG OMG!!!
Old 2012-03-15, 12:49 PM   #443
White Tyger
Rowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Justin View Post

It was right here:

I didn't want to press "OK"

I wanted there to be a "Fuck you EA, and Fuck you Bioware," button.
I was furious when that popped up on my screen. Bioware and EA give us a crap ending and then promote DLC for the gamer to (most likely) buy?!
White Tyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 1:54 PM   #444
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

If the ending made you very angry, you probably don't want to read this unless you want to really, really rage:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/9999272
Old 2012-03-15, 2:00 PM   #445
build me a star
Doesn't hate you

Oh wow. So we were basically right about an 11th hour mangling of the ending.

OMG TUG OMG!!!
Old 2012-03-15, 2:31 PM   #446
Default_Messiah
Bustin' pots & octorocs

I'm not exactly impressed by the level of discourse in that paticular thread. :\

Reality Ajar ~ Society 6 Store
Default_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 2:33 PM   #447
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Default_Messiah View Post
I'm not exactly impressed by the level of discourse in that paticular thread. :\
Yeah, best to ignore the rest of that thread and just read the OP.
Old 2012-03-15, 2:37 PM   #448
Jaxom

"Lots of speculation from everyone! "

They're not going to add a DLC to fix this.

Old 2012-03-15, 2:44 PM   #449
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

It's noteworthy that they actually reference the end of the Matrix in there. If they were going for a Matrix 1 ending, they got Matrix 3 instead.
Old 2012-03-15, 2:50 PM   #450
Default_Messiah
Bustin' pots & octorocs

The thing is, speculation is very good. Especially in science fiction stories. Epilogues aren't really a sci-fi thing.

While part of me would like an epilogue, at the same time, after having made the choices I had, I don't want a definitive "you made the right call, the krogan are now noble warrior poets"/"Oh nos, you have unleased the horde. The lamenting survivors curse your name. style ending. I would prefer the question "Have I made the galaxy a better place for having restored the Krogan? I did everything I could, but is it enough?"

But the speculation the current endings provoke don't really have much to do with what you spent most of the game doing.

Writing an ending that has a sense of closure, while also being thought prevoking is a very, very rare skill. It's several powers easier to miss than to hit, and it's not for the faint hearted. People who can pull it off tend to be masters of their craft, and have become so by building on countless failiures or missteps.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sensei
It's noteworthy that they actually reference the end of the Matrix in there. If they were going for a Matrix 1 ending, they got Matrix 3 instead.
That's pretty much what I think happened.

Reality Ajar ~ Society 6 Store
Default_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote