Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-03-12, 6:18 PM   #376
Sven Stryker
Hi little guy!

I hate starting normal teams with Big Guys. It's just an excuse to have more failures when your team is full of them. Also, 2 Blitzers later is 80k, 1 Troll is only 110k. Also, You're already gonna have Linemen that won't die, so you're wasting even more TV unless you fire one. I don't really want skills on a Troll anyway. He just stands there and takes hits for me with ST 5, AV 9, and Regeneration. Trolls aren't the lynchpin of the team like some Big Guys are for other teams.

Orcs can Quick Pass fairly well, especially once the thrower has Block and Accurate.

Edit: also also anyway so on and so forth I have bad speaking habits.
Old 2012-03-12, 6:21 PM   #377
Sheldon
1 week ban for Klopp-face

Your Line-up looks rock-solid, Bassetking. Anything that maxes out Blitzers and Black Orcs and still keeps 3 Rerolls can't fail in my book.

Usually I'd say the Troll should be your first investment once the season gets going, but I don't know your schedule. The troll is good if you need more muscle against fellow bashers, but looking at your division, you should be the bashiest team of the lot besides Rage Incarnate's orcs and trolls are largely useless at best and a turn-over machine at worst against elves. On the other hand the troll can be good against Norse and Undead.

Don't get a Goblin unless you have a Troll. Or no Thrower.
Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 6:32 PM   #378
Rutkowski
Know nothing about posting

AKA: Register, Entropy

Bassetking, that's the lineup I use. In general, you don't want to do a pass that's more than 3+ because even if you manage to do it one of the other chumps must be able to recieve and trust me; they're not reliable.

Elfballing Orcs is also not useable at all against ANY AG4 team. Just smack them and work for a tie because you'll not win that one.

Oh, and don't use trolls and goblins. Orcs is where it's all at.
Old 2012-03-12, 6:32 PM   #379
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
I forgot to reply to this earlier today...

Anytime.
Tomorrow at eight then?
Old 2012-03-12, 6:34 PM   #380
Sheldon

Tomorrow at eight the mean rat machine will crush the cowardly, filthy greenskins.
Old 2012-03-12, 6:57 PM   #381
Sven Stryker
Hi little guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Bassetking, that's the lineup I use. In general, you don't want to do a pass that's more than 3+ because even if you manage to do it one of the other chumps must be able to recieve and trust me; they're not reliable.

Elfballing Orcs is also not useable at all against ANY AG4 team. Just smack them and work for a tie because you'll not win that one.

Oh, and don't use trolls and goblins. Orcs is where it's all at.
AG 4 teams still don't have a very good interception chance since it has a -2 penalty. Just don't throw over anyone with Catch and you can still risk a throw across enemy AG 4.

Basically, AG 4 needs a roll of 2+ to catch an accurate pass to themselves. This is with the +1 bonus for catching an Accurate pass. Interceptions are AG rolls with a -2 instead of that +1. So an AG 4 player still needs a 5+ to Intercept.

AG 4 chance to intercept: 33%.
Anyone lower AG: 16%
AG 4 Catch intercept: 55%

Basically, the only players actually good at Interceptions are Catch players with AG4+ or mutations. (I love fielding an Extra Arms Catch VLL Beastman on Chaos)

Last edited by Sven Stryker; 2012-03-12 at 7:00 PM.
Sven Stryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 7:06 PM   #382
Sheldon

Well, if a AG3 team tries to elfball against a AG4 team, the odds are stacked against them winning that battle. You don't even have to factor in interceptions.

But if you do, having one out of three passes intercepted isn't what I'd consider good odds. Because if you really elfbow, you will throw a lot of passes and elves only need one interception to score on your drive and then it's GG for elfy Orcs.
Old 2012-03-12, 7:17 PM   #383
Sven Stryker
Hi little guy!

You only throw if you can't run anyway.
Old 2012-03-12, 7:23 PM   #384
Sheldon

Yes, if everything else is a worse idea, you can throw the ball, but Rutkowski was cautioning against trying to elfball against AG4, and elfball I take to mean: going for quick 2-3 turn scores with pass plays and trading touchdowns until one team/thrower/receiver/coach fucks up.
Old 2012-03-12, 7:30 PM   #385
Sven Stryker
Hi little guy!

I guess I'm just opposed to saying it's significantly less likely to work against AG4. It's not likely to work, but it's not likely to work against AG 3 much less than against AG4.

Really, if your team can elfbowl, then it's probably okay to do so unless the opposing team is built to stop elfbowling specifically. (Nurgle, Slann, some Chaos teams, etc)
Old 2012-03-12, 11:26 PM   #386
substratus
Special Delivery!

Looks like this was the first actual match of Forumopolis Bowl IV

Keebler Sandies vs Raising Game

The Sandies got the ball first and quickly badly injured one of my skeletons. I made a mistake in blocking them and they pushed through for a rather easy turn three touchdown. KS 1-0 RG

Raising managed to bash their way through taking out two dark elves, one badly injured, the other just knocked out. However, they had another skeleton get injured as well. They eventual broke through and tied the game. KS 1-1 RG

The Sandies got the ball back but in the end didn't have time to score. An elf failed a GFI role leaving the ball carrier open and ending their run. I managed to knock the ball away and pick it up but I didn't have a chance to score either. One of my Ghouls however completed a short pass to a Wight in the last turn of the half.

Both teams started the second half down two players. It started off bad for me. I got the ball right next to my endzone, I quickly moved it up to near midfield but it barely moved from there for a few more turns, on top of this another of my skeletons got injured.

I finally got it moving a bit but the Sandies knocked the ball free and picked it up. That didn't last long as I soon returned the favor. I finally managed to break through and get the ball in range of the endzone. It was then that my one of my mummies gave a hard hit to a dark elf lineman. The lineman didn't look like he would get up, but he eventually did, as a zombie. I then scored taking the lead. KS 1-2 RG

THe Sandies should have had only one turn left but a ruckus in the stands caused the refs to roll the clock back a turn. The Sandies picked up the ball near mid field and made a run for it leaving them in rage to score on their next turn but with little protection. I tried to knock the ball free and failed, but did get them surrounded. The Sandies tried to push through on their last turn but failed. I'm not even sure what happened, I was trying to come up with a plan for my last turn when he suffered an unexpected turnover.

Results

Keebler Sandies 1-2 Raising Game

I think thats pretty much covers how the game went unless I'm forgetting something or messing something up.

The game was very close, with just a little more luck Hawque could have stopped my drives (especially the one in the second half he had at least two blocks/blitzs on my ghoul with the ball that only resulted in a push) or even managed to tie it up at the end.

I feel kind of bad killing one of his linemen in the first game of the season, on the other hand who in Blood Bowl doesn't like dead elves.
substratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 2:29 AM   #387
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

Engine of Discord vs Ripping Lizards: 0 - 1 and he beat me 1 SI and 1 death to 1 sprained groin in the injury stakes.

Writeup, as ever, to follow : )

- Me, Call of Cthulhu Mafia game 2010
Laoke is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 8:18 AM   #388
dane
just sitting

AKA: Trickster

Nim and I were scheduled to play today (tonight) but I never heard back from him. We'll probably play on sunday instead.
dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 9:13 AM   #389
Nim
says hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Nim and I were scheduled to play today (tonight) but I never heard back from him. We'll probably play on sunday instead.
Did we get the time wrong? It's 7am here right now, which is the right time on my end.

Edit: Well, in any even I'm around. I'll check back in about half an hour.
You have 8 gold ingots. They are all the same weight, except for one that's marginally lighter. How can you find the lighter using a scale when you can only balance twice? ClueThe first step is to set a pair of the ingots aside and weigh the remaining six.

Last edited by Nim; 2012-03-13 at 9:21 AM.
Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 2:11 PM   #390
Sven Stryker
Hi little guy!

FYI, Day Light Savings Time may have just completely screwed over people that don't know that American Time Zones shifted 1 hour from now until Fall.
Old 2012-03-13, 2:19 PM   #391
Archangel3d
Watch Your Mouth

Lemon and I are set to play Thursday.
Archangel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 2:25 PM   #392
Tebriel
Here's my answer!

Also, make sure you know the person's Steam name or coach name if it's not the same as your screen name. That helps recognizing who's who.
"And lo, the day is coming and is now here when true worshippers will worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth. And without pants" -Book of No Pants, 4:23
#5 of 12
Steam ID: tebriel
Gamespy ID: [FO]Tebriel
Layton Avatar made by TheRyuuijnMike from gamefaqs.com
Tebriel is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 2:46 PM   #393
Bassetking
Sophisticated Ignorance

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BB_LE.exe
Application Version: 2.0.1.2
Application Timestamp: 4d80d5f0
Fault Module Name: nvd3dum.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.17.12.8562
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e992873
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00393452
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

What the hell, Bloodbowl. I just want to stomp. Why are you being like this?

Write my curses in cursive

FO 2011-2012 BQBL, 2011-2012 Survivor III, 2012 March Madness Brackets

Bassetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 3:07 PM   #394
Sheldon

Turn 11/16 and three DEADs. I'm getting the very strong impression that the Engine curse is still active with me.
Old 2012-03-13, 3:26 PM   #395
Rutkowski

That game was AWESOME.

Seriously, he had three injuries from trying to block my guys. Full writeup incoming.
Old 2012-03-13, 3:28 PM   #396
Sheldon

Well, well, well, the Brood Streetz Bulleez had a awesome start to the season, but the Skaven are still waiting to take part in their first match.

The Dark Age Outlaws in Season 1 and now the RatPAC in Season 3, that makes two teams murdered by Orcs coached by Rutkowski. I should know better...
Old 2012-03-13, 3:42 PM   #397
Rutkowski

Oh yeah, you know those three dead that Sheldon mentioned?

He had a fourth, another gutter runner, but it got APO'd into a BH instead. =/
Old 2012-03-13, 4:24 PM   #398
Rutkowski

Brood Streetz Bulleez catch RatPAC, add several skulls to collection
Filled-Elf-Filet, Naggaroth
Earlier tonight, the opening game for two of the Naggaroth's division pre-season favorites finished with the home team celebrating a well-won victory in a sport they do not understand.

The local Naggaroth Hockey League team Brood Streetz Bulleez accidently signed on for the wrong tournament, hoping to defend their hockey title for the second year in a row, but showed that they could adapt to the pitch without too many difficulties.

The game began with former playmaker Sidney Crushed'Bones kicking the ball to the ratside. What at first looked to be a dangerous kick due to the close proximity to the line of rats blocking the way for the Orcs to pick up the ball turned out to be a master stroke as the Skaven team had a hard time getting past the Orcish lines. In fact, early on the physical advantage of the Orcs shone through as Paul Biz'Nasty knocked out the linerat Koch to start of the game.

A scramble for the ball followed with highlights such as former power forward Keith Catchuck murdering the gutter runner Action who, as we later found out, in a display of rattish endurance recovered well enough to return at halftime. Before then the Orcs managed to knock the ball loose and pick it up, knock out linerat Mercer in the process, and the Skaven turned more and more desperate as their luck was running out early in the game. It became so bad that Sticky Fingers, normally a playmaking thrower, tried to push Grant Clitkick off the sidelines with the result of him catching a knee the face instead and letting Clitkick help Shane Doan't Run send the gutter runner Future, who was by now in possession of the ball, out of the field. Shane Doan't Run had the following to say about the play that resulted in Future leaving the game with a small injury.

"'ey, where I'z come from wez run enemis into da board all da time, it be not Shane fault that da board be gone in dis game."

With the ball being sent out of bounds the fans threw it back in to the middle of the rats' side of the field. Unfortunately for the rats, Sidney Cross'Bones managed to do a mad dash, covered by his teammates, to the ball and picked it up before any rats could reach it. In fact, by now most of the Skaven team was either down on the ground or covered by Orcs at least four times their size, something lineorc Nicklas Lifegone abused by donning one of his old iceskates and using it to behead the prone gutter runner Crossroads. The referee did not approve of this play and promtly ejected Lifegone for the rest of the game.

Crushed'Bones, seeing the situation on the pitch, promtly decided to slowly walk up the field while his teammates picked their opponents apart. The only real highlights of the battle was Grant Clitkick knocking out Sticky Fingers for the rest of the game with a brutal punch in the face.

The second half was much of a thematic continuation of the first with the Orcs quickly setting up to overwhelm their now outnumbered opponents with punches and tackles. Early on Clitkick manage to knock out the linerat Busch with his now signature punch in the face and then finished the play by recieving a pass from Sidney Crush'Bones.

What followed afterwards was nothing but a bloodbath. In what was later named the Bloodweiser Play of the Game, former defender and now linesman Keith "I'll Hyandle This" proved his worth by first injuring the stormvermin Dirty Money and then promtly murdering the other stormvermin Moneybomb by crushing his neck when the rat tried to retaliate his' kin, adding another skull to the Bulleez' trophy room.

While the Orcs slowly made their way down the field Keith Catchuck managed to cause his second injury of the game when he removed the gutter runner Tomorrow from the field with a brutal running tackle. Paul Biz'Nasty also did his part in the orcish efforts to decimate the Skaven team by managing to turn the linerat Dore's attempt to knock him down into a fractured skull.

In fact, the bloodbath was so interesting for the Brood Streetz Bulleez that they actually forgot to score, instead spending the time cheering on their teammates as they forced more and more rats off the field.

The Skaven team voted the black orc Dale Headhunter to be the Bulleez' Most Valuable Player, probably as a gift of appreciation as the black orc didn't murder or injure a single rat during the game. The Orcs in return voted RatPAC's Mercer to be the Skaven Most Valuable Player. By their own admission this was because Mercer had the brain not to stand up after getting knocked out and as such was spared the humiliation his teammates suffered instead.

Stat Block
Results:
1-0 Brood Streetz Bulleez
3 Linerats KO
1 Linerat seriously injured
2 Gutter Runners died(one got better)
1 Gutter Runner hurt
1 Thrower KO
1 Stormvermin died
1 Stormvermin hurt
MVP Dale Headhunter
MVP Mercer
Old 2012-03-13, 4:29 PM   #399
Rutkowski

Seriously Keith "I'll Hyandle This", 50k lineorc, murdered one stormvermin and injured another.

Best 50k ever spent.
Old 2012-03-13, 4:42 PM   #400
Sheldon

Hello, Blood Bowl fanatics, to our post-game coverage in the spin zone. So called because the heads of the surviving Skaven are still spinning.

Since no member of the RatPAC is in condition to talk, here is one of the team's official spokespersons Tucker Rathaus, a former skinkoil-salesman.

Good evening, Mister Rathaus. Thanks for your time.

Of course.

Who do you think won tonight's game?

Oh, it was a great night for the RatPAC, no doubt about it. A perfect night. The Skaven hit a homerun tonight!

You lost 0-1.

Out favorabilities skyrocketed. They were high before the game, but they're off the chart after tonight's performance.

You're saying you won new supporters?

No. But our supporters now concentrate their love on fewer players. So each player is favoured by more supporters. It's a massive increase, statistically speaking.

Care to elaborate on that astounding and absolutely insane point?

The game received a 12 point average rating on our tracker. Previously that would have translated to a 1.09 favorability rating for each of our players, but since four of them are now deceased, the remaining players shot to a 1.5 favorability rating. If we keep this up, very soon we'll have narrowed the field of competitors down to one Gutter Runner with a fantastic 12 point rating. And then he'll be ready to beat Obama in the fall.

Uh... what?

We're playing a long game here. The greenstream-media may say we lost three points today, but at the end of the season it's the delegates that count.

You were shit from the first minute, is that fair to say?

We executed our plan exactly the way we intended. We're happy with how it went.

You allowed a Blitz on the only rat protecting your ballcarrier in the first turn. Your half of the pitch was orc territory.

We are supremely confident in our ability. We offered the Bulleez a weak point to suck them in, knowing that we could recover from a bit of pressure on the ball. They lost their organization and exposed their backfield. As soon as that happened we would disengage from their blitz, circle around their lines and run away with the ball for an unstoppable 1-0 lead.

That never happened. You're making the second part of that up in your mind.

You're free to believe what you wish. Over here, where I live, in the rat-reality based community, Sticky Fingers, our most popular Thrower, was so confident in his team's ability, that he ignored a perfect opportunity to push the Orc that was about to tackle Future, who had the ball, off the pitch and into the stands. Instead Sticky Fingers pretended to slip and knocked himself out, leading to us losing the ball and one of our rats getting send to meet his adoring fans.

Why would he do that?

The orcs weren't hitting hard enough. Without self-inflicted injuries, there would have been no challenge in beating them.

My journalistic ethics require that I mention again that you did, in fact, not beat them. You did, in fact, lose.

The instant reactions after the game are notoriously unreliable. We'll wait until the debate has sunk in a bit and we have tomorrow morning's headlines and polls for an accurate judgement of today. In any case, we're well positioned to do even better than today in our next match against the Bulleez.

That's only one week away.

What?

The next game against the Bulleez. It's in one week. We don't do the season in two halves like usual.

Oh crap.

I mean...

Good!

We're always up for more games. Indeed, we have called for a Lincoln-Douglas style series against the Bulleez. Seven games. 90 minutes each. No teleprompters. But they refused. I guess in ice hockey they're not familiar with series spanning seven games. I don't know. I don't follow ice hockey. I think it's a sport for Canadians and Soviet Russia. It smells of communism and socialist healthcare.

Anyway, of course we're ready for the Bulleez. If they're not afraid of us after tonight. They saw how ferocious we can be to ourselves. Imagine how ferocious we can be to people we dislike!

Will you have replaced the Gutter Runner and Blitzer by then? You lost three players today. Crossroads and Money Bomb are dead---

They temporarily suspended their campaign.

---Crossroads demise was particularly grueling. He was victim of a gang foul.

Negative attacks like that are despicable but sadly part of the game. It's no wonder it makes wonderful, kind, upstanding citizens like Crossroads quit if being dragged through the mud is the price for trying to change the world for the better for our children and grandchildren. Crossroads is currently weighting his options on how to continue his agenda in a different venue, but still help shape the future in a more of a behind-the-scenes role.

At the start of the first half, you had more Gutter Runners than other players on the pitch. Three Gutter Runners to one Linerat and one Stormvermin. Will you stick with that approach?

It's gotten us good results. You have to ask how it is that the Bulleez aren't running away with the league? They're the clear frontrunner and have been declared the inevitable winner. But they haven't convinced today. They poured all their ressources - eleven players! - into this contest and won one touchdown! Eleven players could only buy them one touchdown. We invested a third of that and got almost the same result.

Can your team raise enough funds to overcome their disadvantage in the contests that are coming up over the next few weeks?

Definitely. We're in it until the convention. Even today, we were always only one failed pick up or a Black Orc connecting with an uppercut to his own chin or a Blitzer going one step too far and fast and losing his balance away from scoring a touchdown.

But instead Sidney Crushed'Bones, the Bulleez Thrower, scooped up the ball in the orc's backfield and made a perfectly accurate pass that was caught by a lowly lineorc. When can we expect to see the first completed pass from the RatPAC?

That's so typical, you with your gotcha-question. So typical. Learn some respect please, otherwise you won't get any more interviews next time. Think about that. Good day, sir.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Sheldon; 2012-03-13 at 5:04 PM.