Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-01-21, 2:01 PM   #26
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Yeah I spent over 300 bucks on the fabrics for this costume, it cost me a pretty penny. =/ That's why this time around I am taking some extra steps to make sure it holds up a little better than some of my previous projects.

And even though I already hit it once, it definitely needs to be ironed again, but my ironing board is currently acting as a hanger for 6 yards of red spandex I have to air dry because it can't go in the dryer. Still trying to figure out where I am gonna hang the back up in my house.

But anyways, step one is done! Might start on the cuffs later today since the spandex is still drying, but right now I think I might nap for a bit.

Kay
-- "(Tika) is in your pants... Right now."
Phantom
-- "Tika: Sometimes, you're actually kinda Bitchadelic. And full of bitchtitude.Though for one hour on Sundays, I usually find you kinda wonkelastic."
The Traveler -- "Myth: Tika ate a yak once. Fact: Well, not all of it. She left the feet."
Tika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 2:04 PM   #27
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeSti View Post
What sucked with mine is that I made the whole thing, and it ended up too tight. So I had to put an extension to the collar, and it messed up the whole look of the thing.
To make sure that didn't happen with mine, I made it extra wide, then tucked it in and around itself when I found out how much extra fabric I had. Nobody can tell it's tucked in from the back and it just kinda covers yer ass.

Kay
Phantom
-- "Tika: Sometimes, you're actually kinda Bitchadelic. And full of bitchtitude.Though for one hour on Sundays, I usually find you kinda wonkelastic."
The Traveler -- "Myth: Tika ate a yak once. Fact: Well, not all of it. She left the feet."
Old 2012-01-21, 2:32 PM   #28
Aries Walker
will consider it.

What con is this for?
Aries Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 2:35 PM   #29
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Ideally, Planet ComiCon, which is a local convention in March.

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-01-22, 7:02 PM   #30
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Haven't started a new piece yet. The inconsistent weather here lately has been giving me an allergic reaction 'joyride' and today was no exception. I slept prolly... Uuuhhh...13 or 14 hours so far in the last 20. =/

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-04, 10:42 PM   #31
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Gloves an wristcuffs are done, after some dramaz in real life that kept me from sewing. I will prolly start on the hood tomorrow.

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-05, 8:24 AM   #32
HazeSti
That other costume is just a phase...

Show me show me show me! I wanna see how you did the cuffs, everyone does them differently (same in the comics really).

You did the gloves completely from cratch? With all of the little V bits between the fingers?
Old 2012-02-05, 8:53 AM   #33
Tika
Are You Suffering?

I'll see if I can find time to snap a shot between getting ready for a superbowl party at my bud's house.

I did mine like this, but they certainly didn't come out like this: http://theliteraryassassin.blogspot....ern-wrist.html

Mine are like.... loosey goosey ruffles. I think it's because in the instructions she said to use three inch wide ribbon but when you pull up her tutorial you can see she has changed it around to be wide strips of ribbon like fabric made from the same fabric as the neck piece , and because of that the fabric isn't as stiff. I also couldn't find three inch wide ribbon, so mine is 2 and 1/4 inch. I actually kinda like em though.

My first glove was done using her pattern but I feel like it's too small mebbe. The second I did from scratch and I like it a lot better, though I obviously still need practice sewing gloves, they're trickier than I thought they would be. Both have gussets (the little V thingies).

Kay
Phantom

Last edited by Tika; 2012-02-05 at 9:09 AM.
Old 2012-02-05, 9:10 AM   #34
HazeSti

Yeah I think you're better off making your own pattern for your hand size.

And that's funny, that tutorial is pretty similar to how I made my ruffs, only I came up with it myself after finding info on neck ruffs. I used silky ribbons I bought that have a wire in them so it holds up nicely (but it's kinda cheap so it's falling appart a little). I hadn't figured out how to do it with a machine so I sewed it all up to the elastic by hand. It took me 7:30 for the cuffs alone. Crazy.

The wire is cool in that it makes the cuffs stand upright, but on the other hand I'll have to reshape them often because they'll get smushed up.
Old 2012-02-05, 9:19 AM   #35
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Yeah I think if I redid them using a lot more ribbon and a tighter sewing pattern than suggested they would look a LOT fuller than they do now. I certainly have enough ribbon because my instructions said to have ten yards worth, but then the tutorial says I only need 50 inch long strips 'at least'. I decided " 60 inch strips should do it, that's like over a yard!". By the time I got marking off all the measurements and what not my wrists were so tiny that the width of the spacing made it so that I actually still had some ribbon I had to cut off because there was too much measured out.

And I have ATLEAST half my ribbon left over still not to mention it's VERY common ribbon by the most common US manufacturer of ribbon (Offray) so I know I can get more if I wanna try again for a fuller look.

Right now I am not going to though. I basically decided since I am running a bit behind if I decide I hate the cuffs or gloves, I have extra fabric so I will redo them when I have the time to. Onto more important pieces that need more of my attention to look right.

Kay
Phantom

Last edited by Tika; 2012-02-05 at 9:21 AM.
Old 2012-02-05, 12:20 PM   #36
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Here ya go Haze. I took one close up of the glove and cuff but there was a mess behind it. So here's just the one of me being silly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oooohhhh.jpg (58.8 KB, 577 views)

Kay
Phantom

Last edited by Tika; 2012-02-05 at 12:27 PM.
Old 2012-02-05, 6:33 PM   #37
HazeSti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tika View Post
Here ya go Haze. I took one close up of the glove and cuff but there was a mess behind it. So here's just the one of me being silly.
What is it about Harley clothing that makes us wanna make that face? Seriously. I keep making it in my photos.

And they look great! Looks like you gave yourself a good lenght of the wrist on your gloves, good! You don't want your wrist poking up if your sleeve rides up a bit.

That fabric looks simply fabulous. Shiny!
Old 2012-02-06, 7:56 AM   #38
Templar
Kaaaa-nigit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tika View Post
Those look great. I can't wait to see the rest.
Old 2012-02-07, 7:47 PM   #39
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Thanks guys. :3

The hood will prolly pop up next saturday or sunday. I haven't started it yet because Monday and Tuesday are my busiest days with very little free time.

And right now I am unclogging my sink drain. EXCITING.

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-09, 5:21 PM   #40
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Got my leather scraps in today so when I finish my hood I can plow right into the boots. I'll need to look into what I should use to sew the leather on and also, some insoles.

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-10, 10:29 PM   #41
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Everything is cut up for the hood. Assembly shall be tomorrow when i'm not falling asleep.

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-11, 9:00 AM   #42
HazeSti

Woa, you're making boots from scratch? Hardcore. I only made covers for a comfy old pair of shoes that were pointy enough.
Old 2012-02-12, 11:57 AM   #43
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Yeah, I got inserts for the inside to glue in once I am done so they are not entirely uncomfortable, and thick leather for the soles so I can walk around on outside concrete at least.

And as should be for the standard of this thread, hood still not done. Husband wanted to go out for Valentine's on this weekend and tomorrow is my best friend's birthday so I have to go to a party today.

Social obligation are SUCH A PAIN. Being a world hating hermit was a lot easier lifestyle, I should go back to being a friendless recluse who despises everyone. That worked out well.

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-18, 6:49 PM   #44
Tika
Are You Suffering?

I am installing the zipper in the hood, the last bit of it. There should be pictures, at the latest, by tomorrow morning.

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-18, 7:56 PM   #45
Koalas
Bro 4 (After)Life

AKA: koalas_march

Oooh! I'm so excited to see how this turns out! I'd like to start my costume soon because I waited far too late to finish last year.
Old 2012-02-18, 8:01 PM   #46
Tika
Are You Suffering?

You doing Harley too or something else?

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-18, 8:10 PM   #47
Koalas
Bro 4 (After)Life

AKA: koalas_march

Oh, no. I'm going as Gum from Jet Set Radio. I'm just really excited to see how your's turns out! My sewing skills are pretty sub-par so I'm going to need a bunch of extra time to get things right this time. Last year was my first time cosplaying and I had to duck tape a lot of things.
Old 2012-02-18, 8:56 PM   #48
Tika
Are You Suffering?

Honestly I am not *that* good at sewing myself, evident by the next picture.

I feel like one of my horns (the black one) is kinda arching out further than the other. I think if I change some stitch placement or the way the polyfill is laying this will probably correct it. Otherwise though, I'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood1.jpg (35.9 KB, 287 views)

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-19, 10:32 AM   #49
Tika
Are You Suffering?

What we think guys, better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood3.jpg (64.1 KB, 267 views)

Kay
Phantom
Old 2012-02-19, 11:08 AM   #50
HazeSti

The archs look fine, but is it just the angle or is the red one longer? Looks like your cowl wraps around your face neatly... Mine can't quite completely hide my ears it makes me angry!