Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2011-12-12, 1:54 PM   #126
Greatbob Umber
YOURE INSIDE THE STRAW MAN

AKA: Foghorn Leghorn, Mandingo Jones

If I'm Demps at this point, I think I just start offering tons of bullshit trades to troll Stern. Chris Paul for Bledsoe, straight up. Chris Paul for Kaman, straight up. Chris Paul for the Clipper's towel boy and $55 cash. Or I put through one that's like, Chris Paul for Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, thirty five unprotected first round draft selections over the next 15 years, Farroq-Aminu, and a bucket of Popeye's popcorn chicken.
Old 2011-12-12, 1:59 PM   #127
Kozzer
Second Sun

Location: Wonder Lake, IL, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster, Universe, ?
AKA: Paranoid Android

If I'm Demps at this point, I resign. They clearly aren't letting him do his job, even though Stern had said he's got complete control over Hornets personnel.

The Hornets are going to never be good, because Chris Paul will leave in free agency at the end of the season, and they'll get nothing out of it except for an apathetic fan base. Just contract the team already, Stern - it'd be cleaner than this slow death you're making the franchise endure now.

"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense." - Carl Sagan

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
- Siddhartha Gautama (The Buddha)
Kozzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 2:09 PM   #128
Enforka
whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'd probably resign also. What can you do? All your authority to make a trade is completely gone. Demps might have been able to make that Clippers trade with Bledsoe, but that was before the NBA destroyed all leverage he had.

Enforka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 2:26 PM   #129
Greatbob Umber

From Simmons new column on theories about what the fuck is up with David Stern RE: Chris Paul - this cracked me the hell up.

Quote:
THEORY NO. 3: There's no conspiracy at all the real problem is that Stern is relying on the NBA's executive vice president of operations, Stu Jackson, to advise him on the "fairness" of every trade offer for Paul.

Possibility of being true: 50 percent. The "Jackson is advising him on trade offers" part is actually, and amazingly, true.1 That doesn't mean it's part of a bigger conspiracy if one exists but just know that you should appreciate the rock-solid unintentional comedy of Stu Jackson assessing what's fair and unfair with an NBA trade. A nice guy by all accounts, Stu Jackson is the answer to the trivia question, "Who's the only executive in NBA history who did such a lousy job, his franchise actually had to relocate?" (Please see this footnote.2) Ask the 40 remaining NBA fans in Vancouver how they feel about Jackson's front-office acumen. On my podcast two years ago, Stern called Vancouver's NBA experience his single biggest regret as NBA commissioner; Jackson was in charge of Vancouver's basketball decisions that entire time. Now he's advising Stern on a basketball trade that's doubling as the biggest conflict of interest of Stern's entire commissionership? Really???? Either way, here's your answer to another trivia question: "What improbable chain of events had to happen for Stu Jackson to get another NBA GM job?
and the particularly damning footnotes:

Quote:
1. Stern leaned on Jackson's advice last Thursday before killing the three-team trade. These past few days, he's been leaning on both Jackson and Joel Litvin, who's currently the head of league's basketball, legal, player development and security operations.

2. The Grizzlies lasted six years before moving to Memphis. Only Jackson called the shits during that time I mean, called the shots. Some Stu highlights: He overpaid Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Bryant Reeves and Michael Dickerson; he stubbornly wasted the no. 2 pick in a loaded 1999 draft on a guy who didn't want to play in Canada (Steve Francis), then panic-traded Francis to Houston for Brent Price, Antoine Carr, Othella Harrington, Dickerson and a no. 1 pick a few months later; he passed on local hero Steve Nash not once (in the 1996 draft) but twice (when Nash became available via trade two years later); and he dealt an unprotected no. 1 pick for Otis Thorpe in 1997 that ended up being the no. 2 pick in the LeBron/Carmelo/Bosh/Wade draft (yeah, Detroit took Darko, but still); and (my personal favorite), he took Anthony Peeler and George Lynch off Jerry West's hands in 1996 so the Lakers had enough cap space to sign Shaquille O'Neal.
Old 2011-12-13, 3:59 PM   #130
DBZ Is Gold
OK.

AKA: TheWyrmDude

holy lol, that is a clown car of clusterfuck.
Old 2011-12-13, 4:59 PM   #131
Whiplash
everything is o.k.

AKA: Professor Lust, Haystack Calhoun, Whiplash D. Wolfwood, Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbob Umber View Post
From Simmons new column on theories about what the fuck is up with David Stern RE: Chris Paul - this cracked me the hell up.
Figures.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 6:16 PM   #132
Greatbob Umber

Should have linked the entire column. Whoops.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-nba-christmas
Old 2011-12-13, 6:32 PM   #133
danucleus
>8)

Quote:
Day 1: The Road to Groundhog Day (and more dumb contracts than ever)
Day 2: The Donut Dilemma (the bubble in the center market)
Day 3: Is Arron Afflalo Really Worth $50 Million?
Day 4: Where the Hell is Chris Paul Going?
Day 5: Inside Grantland Featuring Blake Griffin, Part II
Day 6: The Day the NBA Lost Its Way
Day 7: The One Day When the Clippers Actually Mattered (VOIDED BY DAVID STERN)
Day 8 (12/13): The Chris Paul NBA Hostage Crisis Continues

lmao at Day 7

danucleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 9:11 PM   #134
danucleus
>8)

Wow the last part of the Bill Simmon's article is so true.

Quote:
Maybe [Stern] envisions Sterling getting seduced by that one Zihuatanejo-esque moment in the distance: Paul dribbling 30 feet from the hoop in the last minute of a tight Lakers game, Griffin catching his eye, and suddenly, Griffin charging toward the basket as Paul lofts a pass toward the rim. The pass will be perfect, and only because Paul plays point guard about as perfectly as anyone ever played the position. Griffin will take care of the rest. Clipper fans will leap up and down, slap palms, scream incoherently toward the ceiling. The Lakers will call timeout and slink back to their bench. Griffin and Paul will point at each other, smile, laugh, and slap hands, the league's most electric new duo, the hottest ticket in town.

And when that sequence happens, believe me nobody will care that the Clippers gutted their future to rent Chris Paul for 19 months, or that the league disgraced itself to get there.

But guess what? The Billups acquisition changed everything for the Clippers; suddenly they believe they can contend without Paul, and in the shocker of shockers, they might be right. They backed away from negotiations last night, and one more time this morning, leaving David Stern sitting at the "CHRIS PAUL FIRE SALE" table by himself. There isn't a single suitor in sight. Not one. With the season just 12 days away, Stern finds himself stuck with a miserable star, a disgruntled fan base and the single most hopeless roster in the league. Unless that was his intention all long, it sure seems like the old man overplayed his hand twice. And we thought Donald Sterling was a bad owner.

Old 2011-12-14, 6:25 PM   #135
Brock Landers
MOTORIN'!

AKA: NeoRaven, M Nght Shamajoe

Yup, the Clippers whole team to the Hornets for two years of Chris Paul. Thanks David Stern
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 6:59 PM   #136
PrinceAli
we are undone

I will now pay $500 million for the Hornets. Thanks Mr. Stern.
PrinceAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 7:27 PM   #137
Whiplash
everything is o.k.

AKA: Professor Lust, Haystack Calhoun, Whiplash D. Wolfwood, Buckshot

Once again, Donald Sterling asserts his position of worst owner of all time. I'm surprised they didn't throw Blake Griffin in too.

Although I wonder how much Stern twisted his arm to get him to do this. I'm sure Stern was hoping this would prove that there was a better deal out there, but honestly given that they backed out twice it just looks like Stern forced the team into it to prove that he wasn't forcing teams to do shit.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 8:00 PM   #138
Greatbob Umber

I'm really annoyed at Stern, but fuck Donald Sterling too. They should both go away forever.
Old 2011-12-14, 8:04 PM   #139
Otto
Cars and Freedom

Are there any Clippers fans actually giddy about that trade? Is it really worth it?

A Couple of Things America Got Right
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 8:22 PM   #140
danucleus
>8)

Ugh fuck life. Bill Simmons nailed it. The major thing is, Clipper management promised Eric Gordon that he won't be included in ANY trade talks. To then trade him is just really shitty. CP3 had also said he would look forward to play WITH Gordon.

Old 2011-12-14, 8:26 PM   #141
danucleus
>8)

I just heard one of the analyst on NBA TV say something like "Now that the Clippers have 14 mil cap space to add more pieces for a contending team". I couldn't help but laugn and cry at the same time. Did he really think that was the reason the Clippers have the cap space in the first place?

Old 2011-12-14, 9:21 PM   #142
DiNovi
Social Justice Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Nght Shamajoe View Post
Yup, the Clippers whole team to the Hornets for two years of Chris Paul. Thanks David Stern
Isn't it just one year?
DiNovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-14, 10:23 PM   #143
danucleus
>8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNovi View Post
Isn't it just one year?
No. As part of the trade, Paul agrees to sign the 1 year extension. No team is going to want Paul for just 1 year. Not even the fucking Clipper management.

It really isn't surprising that Sterling really just wants to milk the two years he's got Griffin and then not even give a fuck after that.

Old 2011-12-15, 12:04 AM   #144
Enforka
whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa

Stern got a lot of flack, from me included, but I have to give him credit- this trade is better than the Lakers one, especially for the future of the Hornets. Playing hard-ball worked.

Old 2011-12-15, 12:17 AM   #145
Sully
Victim of the Muses

AKA: apollonike

CP3/Blake could be entertaining...if they find people that merit defending for the other 3 positions.

CP3/Stat/Melo/D'Antoni would've been fucking beautiful though.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 12:30 AM   #146
Enforka
whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
CP3/Blake could be entertaining...if they find people that merit defending for the other 3 positions.

CP3/Stat/Melo/D'Antoni would've been fucking beautiful though.
I'm picturing a CP3 to Mike D'Antoni alleyoop in my mind and it is glorious

Old 2011-12-15, 12:48 AM   #147
Skiace
Viva Puig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforka View Post
Stern got a lot of flack, from me included, but I have to give him credit- this trade is better than the Lakers one, especially for the future of the Hornets. Playing hard-ball worked.
and all it took was dealing CP3 to the worst owner in the NBA, who will dump him after 2 years.

Skiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 1:02 AM   #148
Enforka
whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiace View Post
and all it took was dealing CP3 to the worst owner in the NBA, who will dump him after 2 years.
Sterling is awful yes, but what does this really have to do with the trade? The Hornets got a great deal, the Clippers got 2 years of Blake & Paul, everyone is happy.*

*except the Lakers

Old 2011-12-15, 1:17 AM   #149
Skiace
Viva Puig

Will Clippers fans be happy when they both walk after two years? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Skiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 1:40 AM   #150
Enforka
whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa

Maybe not, but remember, Clippers fans were awfully sparse before this trade. They went 32-50. Now the Clippers are selling out their season tickets and look to be a contender in the West. It might have been worth it for just that alone. And sure, the dynamic duo may leave after two years, but maybe they make a deep playoff run one of those two years, or both. If they do that, there's a much better chance they stay.

EDIT: Let's not forget, they're also playing in LA. What bigger market are they leaving to go to?

Last edited by Enforka; 2011-12-15 at 1:43 AM.