Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-04-21, 4:04 PM   #801
Symbolic
Russian Wrestling Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Yeah even now that I'm not dumb and I can actually use shift clicking the Monk is still far and away my favorite class.
What is shift clicking? I beat the Beta last night without using it.
Symbolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 4:44 PM   #802
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

Shift click lets you use your primary skill without moving. So no accidental moves when you miss click your intended target.

"What do you think I am, completely without any moral whatsits, what are they called, those moral things?"
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 4:46 PM   #803
Mü0n
Herald of Dawn of War 2

still unable to get in. Never got in. Waste of 3 gig bandwidth.
Old 2012-04-21, 4:48 PM   #804
Sprint
Slartabartfast

barbarian smash
Sprint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 4:54 PM   #805
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

Yeah I'm still getting error 37. I try for 30 minute blocks, then go do something else for an hour. I really hope that this test actually gives them a good idea of how many servers they need for launch. I'll be miffed if this is the case on launch day.

"What do you think I am, completely without any moral whatsits, what are they called, those moral things?"
Old 2012-04-21, 5:43 PM   #806
Anthony
Playtime is over

I just got in!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 6:09 PM   #807
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

Ok, so what is the point of dw handbows with the DH? it seems that with a handbow and a quiver you do more damage. Is it just pure stat for the offhand weapon?

Old 2012-04-21, 6:14 PM   #808
Sprint
Slartabartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Ok, so what is the point of dw handbows with the DH? it seems that with a handbow and a quiver you do more damage. Is it just pure stat for the offhand weapon?
If it's anything like the barbarian dual wielding, it's best if they have the same damage (or close to it), and they make you attack faster.
Old 2012-04-21, 6:16 PM   #809
Fara
om nom nom

What's the benefit from having roughly the same damage?

Fara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 6:19 PM   #810
Sprint
Slartabartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fara View Post
What's the benefit from having roughly the same damage?
Basically, you alternate which weapon is shooting every time you fire. If one is worse than the other to a certain degree, it's a net loss in DPS over just having one.

You CAN see the improvement in swing/attack speed if you try it out, but you should be holding down attack rather than clicking a lot.
Old 2012-04-21, 7:10 PM   #811
Xyzandra
Fezzes are cool

just finished the beta quests with my demon hunter

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xyzandra/
MMO of the moment: Star Trek online/Neverwinter/SWtOR
Xyzandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 7:32 PM   #812
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

So for DH if you don't have two good weapons, it's best to use a quiver in offhand instead?

Old 2012-04-21, 8:21 PM   #813
Xyzandra
Fezzes are cool

or if you're using a 2-handed bow/crossbow

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xyzandra/
MMO of the moment: Star Trek online/Neverwinter/SWtOR
Xyzandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 4:23 AM   #814
IridRadiant
Iridescent Radiance

Does anyone here have the ability to post a bug report? I found a minor sound one, but can't post it because I don't have a proper beta key. Let me know and I'll post the issue for you to forward.
IridRadiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 5:20 AM   #815
Fara
om nom nom

My experiences so far:
Barbarian plays wonderfully, smash smash smash. Getting leap is really good cause occasionally mobility feels sluggish. Had to use 2 pots versus Leoric.
Wizard played less wonderfully, but this partly due to having to relearn how to shift click so I walked towards monsters a lot. The early options of Electric Charge or Magic Missile were not so good (aiming on one, fickle damage applied on the other) and with Frost Nova there, Frost Ray seemed unnecessary. Had to use 2 pots vs Leoric.

Witch Doctor played like a charm! Initially I feared the poison dart would suffer from the same issues as magicmissile, but the supplementing skills worked very nicely. Grasp of the Dead was a great form of CC and Spiders managed to spam me nicely through to the 1st rune version of poison dart. Leaping Spiders wasn't nearly as good though. Dead dogs were preferrable over horrify, what with grasp of the dead being awesome especially when it's runed. Firebats didn't seem as useful, sucked lots of mana for not much added dmg. Didn't have to use any pots vs Leoric.

Gonna try the Demon Hunter and Monk next.

Last edited by Fara; 2012-04-22 at 5:44 AM.
Old 2012-04-22, 6:31 AM   #816
Fara
om nom nom

Monk was a breeze, think it's the one I did fastest yet. And with the ability to heal yourself in battle, Leoric was a cakewalk. I didn't like the teleport strike, that just seemed to cause a lot of misclicks on my part. Didn't have to use any pots vs Leoric

Old 2012-04-22, 8:20 AM   #817
Bedum
Peace and Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridRadiant View Post
Does anyone here have the ability to post a bug report? I found a minor sound one, but can't post it because I don't have a proper beta key. Let me know and I'll post the issue for you to forward.
I have a beta key, whats the issue?
Bedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 8:53 AM   #818
Malanche
Big Bad Bazooka Tooth

This game is going to be amazing. I was debating holding out on getting it but I think I will cave asap. Time to try a witch doctor.

I love the craft system, not needing ID scrolls. The banner system to make questing with friends easier. It is everything I wanted in a new Diablo game.
Old 2012-04-22, 9:03 AM   #819
Mü0n
Herald of Dawn of War 2

Anyone else getting an error 3006 when attempting to start a game? I made a new hero (my 3rd) but can't get the game going.
Old 2012-04-22, 9:04 AM   #820
Fara
om nom nom

Keep trying, it happens with bouts here and there.

Old 2012-04-22, 9:24 AM   #821
Mü0n
Herald of Dawn of War 2

Noob questions:

-Leveling up brings 0 choice in terms of development. You simply unlock very linearly every upgrade that is accessible to your class, which you can decide to use, or not use. No choice is ever excluded, right?

-Why are there 10 character slots? Theoretically, you only need 5 (maybe a 6th to restart the whole game) because every character you'll develop would have exactly the same choices as every other of the same class - there is no differentiation to be had in terms of skills or attributes.

-How is the banner system useful (hotkey 'G')? I see it as a super slowly (so, not that useful) refreshed equivalent to the "look here" ping system of Portal 2.

-Still can't wrap my head around the fact that the monk holds weapons and sees his damage stats increase, but he'll still hit with his fists in the game animations.
Old 2012-04-22, 9:38 AM   #822
Bylak
Angriest of elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mü0n View Post
-Leveling up brings 0 choice in terms of development. You simply unlock very linearly every upgrade that is accessible to your class, which you can decide to use, or not use. No choice is ever excluded, right?
I think this is where the biggest divide is going to come from with Diablo players.

Personally I love the fact that they've done away with the talent tree from DII in favour of this system. Being able to customize your character for different groups or scenarios? Being able to try out new abilities without being penalized into a limited number of respecs or re-rolling your toon? Yes, please!

Ultimately the biggest difference I see between DIII and DII's leveling systems is they've made it pretty difficult for the player to screw up a build. Yeah you're not going to be able to invest stat points into niche builds, but I think the trade off is well worth it.

Bylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 9:48 AM   #823
Atropha
Pathetic wretch!

AKA: Barrin

Quote:
You always have the option to swap skills or runes, yes but it puts a cooldown on the skill to prevent "on the fly" swapping during combat. Later on you'll get a stacking magic-find buff that is canceled when you swap skills to encourage deciding on one skill load-out while you play.

Quote:
-Why are there 10 character slots? Theoretically, you only need 5 (maybe a 6th to restart the whole game) because every character you'll develop would have exactly the same choices as every other of the same class - there is no differentiation to be had in terms of skills or attributes.
It's one for each class in Softcore and Hardcore.

Quote:
-How is the banner system useful (hotkey 'G')? I see it as a super slowly (so, not that useful) refreshed equivalent to the "look here" ping system of Portal 2.
The banners always stand in town around the waypoint and when you click on one of the people in the game you are teleported to where they are. You can customize them to show off things you unlocked through achievements and also to make it easier for friends to identify yours without having to hover over it, I suppose.

Quote:
-Still can't wrap my head around the fact that the monk holds weapons and sees his damage stats increase, but he'll still hit with his fists in the game animations.
It's the same for the casters (which technically makes even less sense) but it's a very good mechanic imo to make sure spells and melee scales similarly. In the end it's not much weirder than your belt making you better at swinging a giant axe around, we're just used to that. xD
Atropha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 9:54 AM   #824
Subatomic Llama
One of many zeros

Quote:

Here's one possibility....I have a friend i am going to play multiplayer with, except he has a lot more time to play than me. So, he might want to have a character or two he can keep generally at my pace so I am not constantly walking around with a character capable of single handedly beating the game on the highest difficulty.
Subatomic Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 10:16 AM   #825
Mü0n
Herald of Dawn of War 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrin View Post
The banners always stand in town around the waypoint and when you click on one of the people in the game you are teleported to where they are. You can customize them to show off things you unlocked through achievements and also to make it easier for friends to identify yours without having to hover over it, I suppose.
I'm not talking about the "teleport to player x" banners found in town, I'm talking about the 'G' hotkey that spawns a banner somewhere on screen, at the mouse location. This "other banner" isn't used for teleportation whatsoever (at first, I thought it would help pinpoint a specific location for the "teleport to player x" feature, but it doesn't influence it at all).