Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2011-09-23, 7:45 AM   #426
Mercurian
All burned out

I think we all know they were planning a 2011 launch. Blizzard mentioned a 'short beta' in previous communications and given that it's started, we'd have been looking at a pre-Christmas launch. Even though they never specified a date, it's a delay.

Mercurian is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 8:26 AM   #427
Testvan
Behold! A User Title!

June 2012
Testvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 10:03 AM   #428
Jaaboo
Bring da voodoo

AKA: badassboy, Jest

Blizzard cancels Christmas yet again.
Old 2011-09-23, 10:19 AM   #429
Sprint
Slartabartfast

late 2013
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 10:25 AM   #430
Common Sensei
KACHOU ON!

Early 21st Century.
Old 2011-09-23, 2:12 PM   #431
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

I was just watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty16K9fispk

And I have a question.. How the hell does his D2 look so good?!?! D2 looks like canned ass on my display. And does not take up near that amount of screen space >.< I must know!

"What do you think I am, completely without any moral whatsits, what are they called, those moral things?"
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 2:22 PM   #432
Testvan
Behold! A User Title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post

And I have a question.. How the hell does his D2 look so good?!?! D2 looks like canned ass on my display. And does not take up near that amount of screen space >.< I must know!
The video is taken with a shaky out of focus camera, its the beer goggle effect of graphics
Testvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 2:24 PM   #433
Sprint
Slartabartfast

Late 21st century
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 2:33 PM   #434
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

You say that.. but I can actually read the text on his D2.. on my d2 the text is so pixelated that I can't make out some of the characters.

I think it's the glide wrapper (found mentions of it with google search), but I can't get the glide wrapper to work on win 7

"What do you think I am, completely without any moral whatsits, what are they called, those moral things?"
Old 2011-09-23, 2:47 PM   #435
Aelussa
Engines screaming

AKA: KikassAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post

Most monitors have a built-in scaler that will scale up the image to fill the screen when it's set to lower than the native resolution. Look in the monitor's OSD menu and see if it has any scaling options. If your monitor doesn't have a scaler built in, your video card does.

If you have an nVidia card, go to the nVidia control panel > Display > Change Flat Panel Scaling, and select "Use NVIDIA scaling". "Fixed aspect ratio" will prevent the image from stretching if you're, for example, playing a game with a 4x3 aspect ratio (like Diablo 2) on a widescreen monitor.

I don't have a Radeon card in either of my PCs at the moment, but I'm sure there's a similar option in the Catalyst Control Center somewhere.

I don't know what would cause it to look pixelated, though. I have Win 7 and it looks fine for me. I did have to change some of the compatibility settings to get the game to work without a lot of color artifacts, though. Make sure you have Diablo 2's compatibility settings (right click on the exe or shortcut, go to Properties > Compatibility tab) set to "Windows 98 / Windows Me" compatibility mode, and check the boxes for "Disable visual themes" and "Disable desktop composition".
Aelussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 3:03 PM   #436
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

I got the wrapper to work. And now it's not so bad in full screen. I can actually read the text.

I'll play with some of the radeon settings here shortly. But the wrapper once configured is way superior image quality compared to d3d.

Old 2011-09-25, 9:41 PM   #437
DBZ Is Gold
OK.

AKA: TheWyrmDude

http://dailydiablo.tumblr.com/

Guy(girl?) started drawing a doodle a day, has declared they won't stop until Diablo 3 comes out. I kinda like the style.

Old 2011-09-27, 1:08 PM   #438
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

Still no beta At least I have d2 to console me. A friend and I just cleared up to LOD this weekend on bnet.

Old 2011-09-27, 3:03 PM   #439
echelonx
Echelon#1743

I've pretty much maxed out the beta now (max level on each char, top items, etc) so here are some thoughts for what it's worth:

Wizard: Most would says this is the best class right now, but it's really very fragile. If you get stuck in a pack or the boss targets you, you can go down pretty fast. It's the only class I ever use health pots on. Regardless it is the best for MF because you can use an offhand with MF without sacrificing damage.

Monk: I think this is the best class in beta. He has both a circular and linear melee attack, is impossible to kill with the dodge, and has a teleport to get in and out of mobs. None of those even use spirit, so I put the heal on him mostly to heal other people and at least spend my spirit on something. Constantly attacking you generate enough spirit to get a full heal every 2 seconds, which makes you invincible without even needing pots or globes.

Barbarian: Roughly the same as the monk with aoe melee and teleport but without the dodge/heal. 10% life leech with the cleaving attack means he pretty hard to kill though especially in groups. Single target boss is the most iffy fight, but even that I usually end with 75-80% health when soloing him. Both melee classes start off with weak damage due to bad weapons, but once you get good ones they easily match the wizard (who's damage doesn't increase much with gear upgrades).

Witch Doctor: Pretty bad in the beta honestly. He basically has 2 good attacks, a grenade which is super slow, fairly weak, and costs a ton of mana, and then poison frogs. Frogs is the only one worth using unless you need to hit a specific target at a distance. It's not controllable so you just spam and hope stuff dies. It works great in big open areas, and terribly in long hallways. Every single person uses the dogs as well, not because they're particularly good but because there's so little else worth taking skill wise. The one upside is that Frogs is the highest single target DPS in the game right now. If you stand directly next to a mob so that all three frogs hit it's 120-150 a shot which is easily double what wizard can put out.

Hunter: Nothing to say here until we see the new changes. Just making the current attacks generate hatred instead of using it probably won't fix the problem alone, but it looks like they're also buffing the attacks. I expect him to still be bad at aoe but good at single target since I don't think his aoe spells open up til later.

Crafting: Unlike crafting in wow this is basically just replacing gambling from d2. I salvage every magic item and use them crafting random items hoping for the max stats, most of which just get immediately salvaged again. It's easy to burn through 100+ items worth of salvaged parts and not create anything particularly useful.

Loot: the most annoying loot thing is an issue which was present in D2 but not noticable because you could overcome it with high MF. That is that you have a built in higher magic find rate the first time you kill a boss. In the beta you usually get 1-2 rare items from the boss the first time you kill him on a character without having any magic find. I have I think all the max MF gear now that a level 13 can have (82mf), and have killed the boss again around 20-30 times without ever getting another rare. This is a big problem for crafting specifically because there are a lot of rare item recipes but they require you to salvage 2 rares in order to craft 1. It could be that later bosses have higher rare drop rates, but I would think rate would be more or less even and just the quality of the rares would increase. This is making people do full-character magic find runs instead of just boss runs. Hopefully endgame you would have enough MF to overcome it and just do boss runs, but it will make getting beginner and midgame items a pain.

Auction House: the AH runs slow as crap right now and is super annoying to use. It is nice in theory since it can hit your stash or any characters inventory, but man is it a pain. When stuff is sold the money just kinda shows up but there's no way to verify you got it, when you win stuff you have to leave the game and go back into the AH to claim it, and you can't repost stuff that expires without first loading it back into your stash (takes forever). I basically only sell stuff I know is awesome (maxed random stats) and even then I post them for a cheap price I know will sell rather than have to deal with tracking and reposting it.

Gold: There is a ton of stuff to spend gold on and it's pretty hard to come by in the beta. I'm to the point after playing the beta for around 30 hours that I have the first 2 stash tabs opened (10k each), and 35k left across on my characters. The next bank tab (3 of 5) costs 50k just to open and then more to add spaces to it. My next blacksmith level will cost around 30k to go from level 4 to 5 (think there are 10+ total). I imagine though once you do work up the initial cash to pay for all that stuff then you'll just be rolling in money as there isn't a lot to spend it on besides those. Crafting will probably be the main sink as I know some of the higher recipes I have already take 3-4k gold to create 1 item which you'll likely just salvage again. Obviously you'll earn more at a time at higher levels, but I still expect gold to hold it's value pretty well as opposed to in D2.
echelonx is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 4:59 PM   #440
Maz
The Dark Hound of Kell

For anyone who is playing d2 until d3 is out, the ladder is going to be reset on the 25th

Old 2011-10-11, 5:29 PM   #441
Jaaboo
Bring da voodoo

AKA: badassboy, Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelonx View Post
I've pretty much maxed out the beta now (max level on each char, top items, etc) so here are some thoughts for what it's worth:
Pretty much agree with everything, but I haven't messed with the AH. I'm not too worried about the crafting because max level in the beta is so low. I do like the idea of it, though, gambling with time investment (and drop requirements for training pages.)

Witch doctor I think has some broken early skills. I don't get the spiders at all (they don't last long and do dick for damage), poison dart is single target and slow (though it's a level 1 skill), zombie charger doesn't seem to always hit stuff in it's path, Haunt is single target. Hex is "okay", Grasping Dead is pretty good, though, I used that a lot, being one of the few targeted AE's available to the good voodoo doctor.

Wizard is by far my favorite though.
Old 2011-10-21, 9:31 AM   #442
calius
Random witty comment

Blizzcon 2011 starting today. Diablo III opening cinematic suposedly being released today at 8pm pst. Bumping thread for those of you scumbags that had the ability to take off work and travel to california, who are now obligated to take pictures and keep us updated with your shinanigans and other such infos.
Old 2011-10-21, 2:41 PM   #443
DreamOfTheRood
Budapest

It's going to be free for anyone who had subscribed to WoW for the 12 months previous to its release.
Old 2011-10-21, 2:44 PM   #444
salamangkero
Warcaster

whut?

salamangkero is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 2:45 PM   #445
DreamOfTheRood
Budapest

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamangkero View Post
whut?
ITS GOING TO BE FREE TO ANYONE WHO SUBSCRIBED TO WOW FOR THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO ITS RELEASE, GRANDPA!
Old 2011-10-21, 2:48 PM   #446
Mercurian
All burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOfTheRood View Post
It's going to be free for anyone who had subscribed to WoW for the 12 months previous to its release.
That's not entirely true, according to Kotaku:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku
Diablo III Will be Free To World of Warcraft Annual Pass Subscribers

Diablo III will be free to play for annual pass World of Warcraft subscribers, Blizzard announced at their convention.
Starting today you can go and sign up for the World of Warcraft annual pass. By making a 12-month commitment to World of Warcraft you will get Diablo III free when it launches.
In addition you will also get guarantee access to the next World of Warcraft expansion beta when it goes live. You will also get the Tyrael's Charger mount for free.
That new annual pass, which you can pay for monthly, is live on the site now.
To get D3 for free, you need to take out a 12-month subscription for WoW - it doesn't go back and check what your account status has been for the past year.

Old 2011-10-21, 2:52 PM   #447
Bylak
Angriest of elves

Well brb, making a 12 month commitment to WoW ^_^

Bylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 2:53 PM   #448
Athos
Ack Ack the Law

"Uh... we... really have kind of milked Warcraft for all its worth, and really don't have anything really ground breaking to make you stay subscribed in the coming year. But we really don't want you to quit your subscription to go and play a ceratain starwars MMO this year. Sooo.. if you pay for a year upfront.. you can have a free Diablo 3! How cool is that! Its like playing $150 for a game that you could buy at the store for a third of that! Please don't leave warcraft...please..."
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 2:55 PM   #449
Archangel3d
Watch Your Mouth

Good God that is evil.

Also, using the term "free to play" for Diablo III makes it seem like it'll be a subscription game. -_-
Archangel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 2:56 PM   #450
Mercurian
All burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos View Post
"Uh... we... really have kind of milked Warcraft for all its worth, and really don't have anything really ground breaking to make you stay subscribed in the coming year. But we really don't want you to quit your subscription to go and play a ceratain starwars MMO this year. Sooo.. if you pay for a year upfront.. you can have a free Diablo 3! How cool is that! Its like playing $150 for a game that you could buy at the store for a third of that! Please don't leave warcraft...please..."
That's kind of what I thought of it, too. They know they've only got 1 more major patch before the next expansion, which is probably about a year away.