Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-05-29, 10:16 PM   #2151
BZArcher
Peace Through Strength

My soon to be wife and I use "adorkable" all the time.

Also, I'm kinda-sorta eloping tomorrow. We're still going to do the big ceremony in October, but we decided to do the civil ceremony now so she can get on my health insurance.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:54 PM   #2152
Dean
Gratification from doing

AKA: Eupfhoria

Congrats!
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 11:02 PM   #2153
Inspector Spacetime
in my DARSIT

AKA: KaePes, MoxiePoppet, Track 6

Good luck BZArcher! Sully, it's actually his word, not mine!
Old 2012-05-29, 11:20 PM   #2154
Elle
Is in a cute explosion

Love it. I've had it on my XBL profile for... like... ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg profile.jpg (113.4 KB, 467 views)

Last edited by Elle; 2012-05-29 at 11:23 PM.
Elle is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 11:39 PM   #2155
blackjack
Fascist Luigi

My best friend got a sweet new job, I got a new phone and I'm back on track for my fitness goals for this summer. And I've planned a trip to New York City to hang with some friends before we see another university friend's bachelor days end.

I feel good about life at the moment.

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 11:40 PM   #2156
Archangel3d
Watch Your Mouth

Who's got two thumbs and is working on Assassin's Creed 3? This guy. And almost everyone else working on the game and even those who don't have two thumbs are great at their jobs BUT STILL!
Archangel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 5:13 AM   #2157
Gornul
Warrior of Destiny

I've gone from Tan belt (level 1) to testing for Black belt (level 5) in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) in the last 5 months. MCMAP is kinda garbage as a real martial art but it looks good for my career.

With that training about to end, I decided I wanted to study something new. I like knives and otherwise fighting with a weapon in my hand, and I recall once seeing some guys stick-fighting in the park back home in FL. Googled up the name of that... Kali.

Turns out one of my Arabic students is a Kali instructor. Daily classes for the rest of the deployment. Score.
Gornul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 5:15 AM   #2158
Nitro411
En garde!

So this is a bit long and requires some backstory.

I'm 22 and work at an organization that provides assistance to youth who are in foster care, juvenile hall and homeless by way of meals, temporary housing for runaways and personal/family counseling, as well as just being there at all hours of the day if they need someone to turn to. I used to be homeless myself and was actually one of their clients before eventually gaining a job as a nightshift monitor at our long term housing program for youth looking for their first apartment.

Six months ago while coming home from the arcade I stopped by taco bell and spotted a kid no older than 16 or 17 outside begging for change. I went inside, ordered my food as well as a little extra for him and struck up a conversation. Long story short he'd fled home after his addict father threatened him with a knife and he was utterly terrified of the idea of not having anywhere to go. Within 20 minutes I had him hooked up with a place to stay, a ride to said place, and a warm meal. When the van came to pick him up he shook my hand and I assumed that would be the last I'd hear of him.

Three days ago I got a phone call from him, requesting that we meet up so he could thank me. When I went to see him he gave me a huge hug and was nearly in tears as he told me how much it had helped him to have me stop by and chat with him that night. He told me scared he'd been, how close he'd felt to hitting rock bottom, and how much it had meant to him for me to show a genuine interest in him rather than simply looking through him as most do the homeless. Since then he's managed to graduate, got a part time job and is registering for college come fall. The sweetest part? He's slowly rebuilding his connection with his family and they're seeking family counseling through us to try and work things out.

I've only had this job for two years, and to have my work validated not by my boss, not my coworkers, but by the youth I'm striving to help is the most incredible feeling in the world.
Old 2012-05-30, 1:30 PM   #2159
Dean
Gratification from doing

That is an absolutely amazing story
Old 2012-05-30, 2:48 PM   #2160
cactusmomma
Let's play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
and one of my brothers found our long lost eldest brother (same dad, different mom, prior marriages..)... Eldest had no idea he has 3 younger blood siblings, so we've been shooting messages all over the place via Facebook. I think we'll be planning on meeting up sometime after the midwest snow fury passes for this year. I think I'm still in a sort of surreal shock from all of this.. now, we only have our eldest sister to find.. Hopefully, that won't be too hard now.
Following up on this. My mother couldn't keep it a secret. She's flying this brother out to California when I go out there in July. My other older brother is driving up from San Diego for this. I seriously can't stop wanting to cry when I think about how freaking amazing this is going to be.
cactusmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 5:13 PM   #2161
mangelo
¡Que viva Tuco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro411 View Post

I'm 22 and work at an organization that provides assistance to youth who are in foster care, juvenile hall and homeless by way of meals, temporary housing for runaways and personal/family counseling, as well as just being there at all hours of the day if they need someone to turn to. I used to be homeless myself and was actually one of their clients before eventually gaining a job as a nightshift monitor at our long term housing program for youth looking for their first apartment.

Six months ago while coming home from the arcade I stopped by taco bell and spotted a kid no older than 16 or 17 outside begging for change. I went inside, ordered my food as well as a little extra for him and struck up a conversation. Long story short he'd fled home after his addict father threatened him with a knife and he was utterly terrified of the idea of not having anywhere to go. Within 20 minutes I had him hooked up with a place to stay, a ride to said place, and a warm meal. When the van came to pick him up he shook my hand and I assumed that would be the last I'd hear of him.

Three days ago I got a phone call from him, requesting that we meet up so he could thank me. When I went to see him he gave me a huge hug and was nearly in tears as he told me how much it had helped him to have me stop by and chat with him that night. He told me scared he'd been, how close he'd felt to hitting rock bottom, and how much it had meant to him for me to show a genuine interest in him rather than simply looking through him as most do the homeless. Since then he's managed to graduate, got a part time job and is registering for college come fall. The sweetest part? He's slowly rebuilding his connection with his family and they're seeking family counseling through us to try and work things out.

I've only had this job for two years, and to have my work validated not by my boss, not my coworkers, but by the youth I'm striving to help is the most incredible feeling in the world.
I salute you. You've made a world a better place.
mangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 8:41 PM   #2162
Erpin
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangelo View Post
I salute you. You've made a world a better place.
I agree 100%!

And my gloat-worthy post: my new job is wicked awesome, and so far I love it! I had my first working day, learned a lot, and impressed my manager (who is also totally awesome!)

No HoBo
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 9:50 PM   #2163
Jay
Fun & Fanciful

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

Quote:

This is incredible. You're a credit to humanity. I know that term gets kind of overused or is used sarcastically, but I sincerely mean that. You're a wonderful person.
:I

Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 10:27 PM   #2164
pakx
Human Animal

Quote:

wow on just about every level.
Old 2012-05-31, 7:25 AM   #2165
BZArcher
Peace Through Strength

So, yeah. Got married yesterday.

We kept saying this was the "paperwork" wedding - as much about making sure she can get on my health insurance as anything while we work on the "big wedding in October...but it was still amazing, and it still meant just as much to us.

I have a wife now. That's so cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 598939_10150879010147605_1159267880_n.jpg (104.4 KB, 384 views)
Old 2012-05-31, 7:49 AM   #2166
Templar
Kaaaa-nigit

Congrats!
Old 2012-05-31, 8:51 AM   #2167
Jay
Fun & Fanciful

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

Congratulations to both of you :]
:I

Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 8:59 AM   #2168
Aiacha
Yo Ho Ho

This is a future life rocks item, but I've decided to sit for my CPLTA certification. I already have one sponsor letter from an old boss (who sent it to me for my feedback, though I don't think I'm supposed to see it) and I figured out an easy way to put the huge study guide on my ipad easily. It's going to make reviewing for the test much easier!
Aiacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 10:10 AM   #2169
mangelo
¡Que viva Tuco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZArcher View Post
So, yeah. Got married yesterday.

We kept saying this was the "paperwork" wedding - as much about making sure she can get on my health insurance as anything while we work on the "big wedding in October...but it was still amazing, and it still meant just as much to us.

I have a wife now. That's so cool.
Welcome to the married forumites club.
mangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 12:05 PM   #2170
Inspector Spacetime
in my DARSIT

AKA: KaePes, MoxiePoppet, Track 6

I know it's been said, but this story is amazing!
Quote:

Old 2012-05-31, 12:24 PM   #2171
BZArcher
Peace Through Strength

Thanks, everyone.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:32 PM   #2172
RGCrab
The Good Kind of Cancer

Just played a concert with an unaccompanied solo on a brand new stage. Stage was hotter than I expected, and I blacked out standing up. Apparently I practiced the solo enough that I finished it while still out. Next thing I knew there was applause.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:48 PM   #2173
Dean
Gratification from doing

I was extremely worried about finding a good place to live in LA. I wanted to live with a bunch of other MBAs, but getting people together at the right time to look at places and agreeing on where to look wasn't going very well.

I eventually said fuck it and drove down to LA this past weekend. Eventually I met up with 3 other guys in my program who turned out to be awesome. We proceeded to completely to fail to find anywhere worth living for nearly 2 days.

At the very end of Sunday, we stopped by a gorgeous place in Westwood right next to Beverly Hills. The lady renting it was extremely nice and has to be renting it out at cost. It is too great a place at too cheap a price.

I cannot even describe how excited I am about starting this coming semester at this school with these roommates living in this house.
Old 2012-06-05, 8:05 AM   #2174
Sully
Victim of the Muses

AKA: apollonike

So we can't browse freely on our work computers. However, we can browse freely on any iOS devices(not android, lol).

And I just got my 4g wifi hotspot activated and working with my iPad. Awwww yeah.
Sully is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 5:34 PM   #2175
AussieYank
Chauvinist pig

Okay, it's official. I'm not just on the road to honor graduate. I AM the honor graduate now. Kinda stoked that all my work paid off.
AussieYank is offline   Reply With Quote