Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-05-06, 9:14 PM   #276
Benjamin
I get it

AKA: PomPom

Is Thor the most powerful, physically, Asguardian? What is the range on their powers, comics people?

Also, regarding the Thor/Hulk fight. I loved the way they established Thor being the only person able to wield Mjolnir. Watching The Hulk struggle to pick something up that size is pretty great.
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 9:15 PM   #277
Human
Hey wanna ride bikes mom

Odin is, generally, considered more powerful than Thor, but otherwise Thor is their best warrior.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 9:35 PM   #278
Clay
Not really here

Hey, Shakespeare in the Park - dost Mother know thou wearest her drapes?

You are all so petty... and tiny.

Let me know if Real Power wants a magazine or something...

Raise the mizzenmast, unfurl the topsail...That man's playing Galaga. He thinks we don't notice, but we do...

*Banner, joining Our Mighty Heroes, rolls up on a scooter*

I also liked how Coulson knew that his death was a necessary piece of the puzzle. "It never would've worked, sir, unless they all had something... *dies*

Also, "Oh. That's what it does."
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 9:55 PM   #279
Jarp Habib
Chiseled slab of man-body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleddin View Post
I really enjoyed the simple fact that they seemed to get tired during the last fight (specifically Cap and Widow, but all of them to some degree besides the Hulk.) That was actually the only good acting I remember Johansson doing. Whedon does make attempts to humanize his characters - that's probably why he jumps to killing one of them a bit too much - but he also did it in a subtler way there and it made me happy to see that. It was nice to see it acted out in small pauses, rather than it only going from "Captain America!" to "Battle Damage Captain America!"
Another subtle reinforcement was the cops in the early-middle of the fight saying "The national guard isn't going to be here for an hour!" flashing forward to the end when the National Guard is actually finally on scene, and our bright eyed & bushy tailed heroes are worn down and battered and shot up. A nice bit of temporal context for the battle.

I may not know what I'm doing but I'm getting better at it.
Jarp Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 10:16 PM   #280
One Thursday
Pizza Dog Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I thought "The Other" was Thanos.
I heard it's Red Skull.
One Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 10:17 PM   #281
Swell
live for the feelings

AKA: goat, SwellAsHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Actually, I disagree with this!

The scene introducing her has a great payoff that I'm surprised how many people I've talked with missed. We learn that she isn't just your average "action chick" (although she sort of is and yes there are certain issues I have with her character) but that she psychologically manipulates people by faking a sense of vulnerability to gain information from her targets.

This actually pays off when she confronts Loki and uses pretty much the same technique (appearing vulnerable, making the villain think he's in charge of the conversation) to gain information on his motivations and target.

It isn't as flashy as having a punch out with Thor or anything, but it is very well done in my opinion.
Ok, I can see that. I'm still not a huge fan of it, but I can see what you're saying.
but it certainly couldn't hurt
Swell is online now I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:06 PM   #282
dane
just sitting

AKA: Trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
I guess I'll be the guy to say I was pretty bored... and I didn't really care about anything happening on screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
I guess every director can't be Michael Bay, though.
this is the funniest shit i've read here in MONTHS.

Last edited by dane; 2012-05-06 at 11:22 PM.
dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:09 PM   #283
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
this is the funniest shit i've read here in MONTHS.
To be fair, the 3D wasn't exactly brilliant.

- Me, Call of Cthulhu Mafia game 2010
Laoke is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:14 PM   #284
Packin' Fists
I'M KEVIN BACON!

Location: not where, but when. Or why? How long can this thing be oh man that's pretty long lol wait what usj
AKA: Pacifist

If you are comparing the merits of movies on the quality of their 3d versions then WHEEEEELLLLLLP

XBL Gamertag: Pacifist NJ, Steam ID: Pacifister, PSN: agreatgecko
Packin' Fists is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:20 PM   #285
dane
just sitting

nah, i saw it in 2D. i hate the 3D gimmick bullshit.

i should have bolded it, was laughing at the michael bay line; he has to be trolling.

seriously, i'm still giggling. Somebody honestly believes that a man who added Uncle Tom-bots to a beloved franchise is a good director? fuck outta here

Last edited by dane; 2012-05-06 at 11:25 PM.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:22 PM   #286
Aries Walker
will consider it.

Of course he is. He's playing Johnny Contrary because it's apparently fun for him to shit all over a thread for no reason.
Aries Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:25 PM   #287
Tortuga Bañana
the finest weed in the sou

AKA: Grayson, Geethree, Turtle Tomorrow

Anybody who dislikes the avengers is clearly delusional, it is objectively a great film.

Beeps & Boops
Tortuga Bañana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:27 PM   #288
Jay
Halloween was months ago

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga Mañana View Post
Anybody who dislikes the avengers is clearly delusional, it is objectively a great film.
TT with the truth postin
:I

Jay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:40 PM   #289
Phantom
Slammin' Evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aureate View Post
So, according to iFanboy, The Other in the scene with Thanos is supposed to be Annilihus
I'd be surprised, for two reasons:

1) I thought he'd be locked up with Fox, as they hold the rights to Fantastic Four and its characters.

2) He seems a bit too heavy to play second-fiddle. He would have been a great pick for a Guardians of the Galaxy villain.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 11:41 PM   #290
Jimmy McForum
december is coming

AKA: Thews McGee

I'm still tickled at how they figured out how to show RDJr's face without taking off his helmet. After three movies that still delights me.

That said, I don't understand why Thor didn't get his helm in this movie; it's not like it obscures his face.

now available

working class paladin
Harlan Ellison.
Jimmy McForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 12:05 AM   #291
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga Mañana View Post
I was going to get all nit-picky here but the more I think about it... yeah. It's a great film, a block-buster done right. Easily the most entertaining flick I've seen in years. And the reactions from the other people in the cinema where I watched it, the reactions here, all confirm that this isn't just me feeling this way - the vast majority of the people who saw the movie loved it.

Quick question - for those who've seen it in a group. Did you immediately after leaving the cinema go for a coffee or something and talk excitedly about the film with whoever you went with? Man we were buzzing and talking over each other and just geeking the fuck out.

- Me, Call of Cthulhu Mafia game 2010
Laoke is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 12:11 AM   #292
One Thursday
Pizza Dog Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoke View Post
I was going to get all nit-picky here but the more I think about it... yeah. It's a great film, a block-buster done right. Easily the most entertaining flick I've seen in years. And the reactions from the other people in the cinema where I watched it, the reactions here, all confirm that this isn't just me feeling this way - the vast majority of the people who saw the movie loved it.

Quick question - for those who've seen it in a group. Did you immediately after leaving the cinema go for a coffee or something and talk excitedly about the film with whoever you went with? Man we were buzzing and talking over each other and just geeking the fuck out.
We never made it that far. We were geeking out at the curb while waiting for another friend to go back inside and find his phone. Then we spent a few minutes watching this kid that we thought was wandering alone through the parking lot, but was actually with someone that was sitting behind a car.

It was weird.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:17 AM   #293
Phantom
Slammin' Evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoke View Post

It was 3AM on a work night for me and I still had a half-hour drive to get home, so no. I carpooled with a friend, so the two of us just geeked out on the way home.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 1:20 AM   #294
Krista
Why do I even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McForum View Post
That said, I don't understand why Thor didn't get his helm in this movie; it's not like it obscures his face.
Easy. His helm would obscure that wonderful hair of his. But then I'm pretty sure I'm the target audience for his hair and you're not.
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 2:18 AM   #295
One Thursday
Pizza Dog Knows

Was kinda hoping for a thicker beard.
Old 2012-05-07, 2:21 AM   #296
ChildOWind
Ramen? Again?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thursday View Post
Was kinda hoping for a thicker beard.
Are you talking about Jane Foster, Pepper Potts, or Black Widow?

I'll see myself out.
Old 2012-05-07, 2:27 AM   #297
Nim
says hello.

The bit with Coulson's death, I'd be kinda disappointed if it wasn't a ruse. The melodramatic speech, the bloody playing cards. It was so hammy and manipulative, exactly the kind of thing you'd expect Fury to do to get what he wanted out of the Avengers.
You have 8 gold ingots. They are all the same weight, except for one that's marginally lighter. How can you find the lighter using a scale when you can only balance twice? ClueThe first step is to set a pair of the ingots aside and weigh the remaining six.
Nim is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 2:27 AM   #298
dane
just sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
It was 3AM on a work night for me and I still had a half-hour drive to get home, so no. I carpooled with a friend, so the two of us just geeked out on the way home.
haha, yeah i was much the same. We all split straight away so i came home and started this thread as a means to gush.

had to chuckle though; right after we walked out of the cinema my best mate Adam and i walked past the pub where a mutual friend, Ben, works. We stopped for a chat and Adam told him we'd just seen the avengers, Ben was bummed out that we'd all seen it and that he was stuck at work til midnight, so Adam went back into the cinema and bought two tickets for the midnight session.

he saw it twice in four hours. That's a fan right there.
Old 2012-05-07, 3:50 AM   #299
Jimmy McForum
december is coming

AKA: Thews McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildOWind View Post
Are you talking about Jane Foster, Pepper Potts, or Black Widow?

I'll see myself out.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

now available

working class paladin
Harlan Ellison.
Jimmy McForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 4:02 AM   #300
Jay
Halloween was months ago

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

idgi

i'm dum