Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-05-04, 7:14 PM   #51
Archangel3d
Watch Your Mouth

Quote:
-Public dungeons are essentially instances that aren't actually instanced, so anyone can be in them, so imagine a World of Warcraft dungeon that featured everyone on the server in the area instead of just your party
"Real books are essentially digital books that aren't actually digital, so anyone can read them regardless of platform, so imagine a digital book that was made up of thin "pages" that you could actually hold and interact with, and doesn't need batteries"

Why are they touting something old and fundamentally flawed as a feature? WHY?
Archangel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 7:19 PM   #52
Miles Standoffish
Banned

man I remember training frogloks to the entrance in l guk, I hope they have that
Old 2012-05-04, 7:23 PM   #53
Arctyc
Nostalgic

Quote:
Why are they touting something old and fundamentally flawed as a feature?
Or completely misrepresenting one of the newer concepts (the Public Quest area ala WHO & Rift).
I'll still smile.
Eyedea & Abilities
Arctyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 8:01 PM   #54
Nayland
itsy bitsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
Speaking of M'aiq, I have no idea how they're planning to handle Elsewyr. The bizarre biology/culture of the Khajiit is easily dodged around in other territories, but on their home turf you're going to need to address it.
I know.

Quite frankly, the whole thing gives me paws.
And will keep your foot from being caught." (Proverbs 3:25-26)

"Those who read own the world, and those who watch television lose it." -Werner Herzog

Formerly known as Iron Spyder
Nayland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 1:16 PM   #55
Sonny
Hero of Time & Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
i want to know who wrote that list of features, the way it's written is terrible.

'art style kind of like Rift or Everquest 2'

that's how you're officially billing it? 'kind of like' ? read a dictionary, fuckers.
Although, it really does remind me of EQ 2 in terms of style.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/games/the...tml?tab=images
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 11:23 PM   #56
Varrin
Wizard for Hire

Looking like EQ2 does nothing but inspire me to flee.

Varrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 5:52 AM   #57
Artemius
running with..swords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
i want to know who wrote that list of features, the way it's written is terrible.

'art style kind of like Rift or Everquest 2'

that's how you're officially billing it? 'kind of like' ? read a dictionary, fuckers.
To be fair, that list comes from NeoGAF, they're summarizing the Game Informer article, it's not like it's coming direct from Zenimax
"If it hurts when you stab yourself, do you do it seven more times, just to see if that’ll stop the bleeding? Maybe you should try that out. I’ll even get you a knife. I’ll pry it out of the last patron who asked me whether or not we could copy a DVD for them, so they wouldn’t have to return it.” -- Xenoman
Artemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 4:28 PM   #58
Sam
GENERIC PYLONS $6.99ea BUY

AKA: Dypthropos, This is amazing

This looks worse than uninspiring. It looks like lore poison. Tiresome MMO convention splits the races into arbitrary factions, and the history of the world builds up to the point of "the entire world is at the brink of war!!!!1 choose your side!!!1"
Old 2012-05-10, 4:29 PM   #59
Sam

b.a.r.f.
Old 2012-05-10, 4:33 PM   #60
Midnight
Ugly?

When I first heard of this I was like oh cool. But then I read it was basically like every other mmo and was like oh okay never mind.
Old 2012-05-10, 4:34 PM   #61
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemius View Post
The amount of internet backlash this "reveal" is generating is frankly amazing. Even Kotaku is lambasting it. I've never seen such a negative response for what is supposed to be an AAA title

This is obviously too far in development to cancel or majorly change the game's direction, so I'm honestly curious how Zenimax is going to manage this.
It really is a terrible project bound to fail which cannot even in the prospective developmental and marketing phase provide an inch of confidence in the project. At least all other essentially doomed, sterile MMO conversion ideas had the good sense to fool the crap out of us.

This is the perfect project to be horrified by.

- It involves an adapted franchise that would have all of its most notable elements (in fact, really anything that makes it worth playing) absolutely ruined by the necessary structures and contrivances of MMOs

- It comes at a time in which people have long since become rightfully jaded about MMO's and rightfully reluctant to invest time in Yet Another MMO, since they all seem to follow the same pattern: exhausting people's tolerance with balance issues and bugs, then fading into ghost servers which leave the remainder in a cascade of leavers who feel like their achievements have become meaningless in a social vacuum.

- Where other MMO cash grabs have been similarly fated to the same ignominious end as what we now ruefully anticipate for World of Elder Scrolls Online Quest, they at least managed to string people along with really exciting ideas, stills, or concepts that really make it sound like this time, it could be different™ — whereas with this, the promotional developmental material and commentary is a smorgasboard of MMO development red flags that should warn off any savvy player. They might as well have said "We are invested in throwing money at a really generic and forgettable MMO which fills no niche, won't hold a lot of interest, is poorly designed because of how quickly we had to ratchet backwards from our overconfident original design theory, and will be free to play in months assuming it ever really comes out under the same publisher."

- Top that with a release promo ingame screen which screams 'extremely generic' and we're off to the races

Guessing a better than 50% chance (wish it were more) that the title just gets canceled outright.
Old 2012-05-10, 4:40 PM   #62
Tortuga Bañana
the finest weed in the sou

AKA: Grayson, Geethree, Turtle Tomorrow

Has any MMO included cross-faction dungeons, where both groups enter at different sides and may run into each other / fight at some point? Maybe that's even the point: tracking down an enemy group and stopping them? Toss in some wandering monsters and other obstacles to keep things saucy. That would be cool. Anyway this MMO looks boring.

Beeps & Boops
Tortuga Bañana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 4:50 PM   #63
HauntedPixel
Meet The Deadlys™

AKA: Spook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
- It comes at a time in which people have long since become rightfully jaded about MMO's and rightfully reluctant to invest time in Yet Another MMO, since they all seem to follow the same pattern: exhausting people's tolerance with balance issues and bugs, then fading into ghost servers which leave the remainder in a cascade of leavers who feel like their achievements have become meaningless in a social vacuum.
This does a really good job summing up my thoughts about MMOs in general. I've become the one thing developers hate and that's a player who realizes that, no matter how pretty the package, these things are a huge waste of time and money.
HauntedPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 5:01 PM   #64
Miles Standoffish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga Mañana View Post
Anyway this MMO looks boring.
--grayson on every mmo ever
Old 2012-05-10, 5:02 PM   #65
Tortuga Bañana
the finest weed in the sou

AKA: Grayson, Geethree, Turtle Tomorrow

yes, I typically do not like MMOs.

Beeps & Boops
Tortuga Bañana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 5:06 PM   #66
Trash Boat
Ignorant man changes name

AKA: Cedric the Owl, Lightning Lord, Muscular Mordecai

The Before Watchmen of video games
Old 2012-05-10, 5:19 PM   #67
bata
Ceci n'est pas le pays bas

AKA: master bata

The factions aren't completely arbitrary. The thalmor did convince the khajiit to join them with the missing moon incident for example. Though I don't know much about the rest.
bata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 7:01 AM   #68
Artemius
running with..swords?

Quote:
Has any MMO included cross-faction dungeons, where both groups enter at different sides and may run into each other / fight at some point? Maybe that's even the point: tracking down an enemy group and stopping them? Toss in some wandering monsters and other obstacles to keep things saucy. That would be cool. Anyway this MMO looks boring.
Not that I remember (maybe DAoC had that, never played it). I do know that this was a thing in Asherons Call 1, but with player factions instead of hardcoded factions, where (specially on the pvp server), guilds would lock down a popular dungeon, in order to farm it in peace, while posting guards at the entrances to gank opposing guild members as they entered. Although the mobs in this case became a nuisance in potential pvp battles more than anything.
"If it hurts when you stab yourself, do you do it seven more times, just to see if that’ll stop the bleeding? Maybe you should try that out. I’ll even get you a knife. I’ll pry it out of the last patron who asked me whether or not we could copy a DVD for them, so they wouldn’t have to return it.” -- Xenoman
Artemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 7:02 AM   #69
Jay
Halloween was months ago

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

Seriously, stop making this game. Stop. Cut the losses and make a good game.
:I

Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 7:55 AM   #70
FlawedLogic
Champeen Time-waster

Quote:
I never played it, but DAoC had a dungeon called "Darkness Falls." I've been told it was a PVE dungeon/zone that was only open to the server which was in control at the time in RvR -- and if control changed, the new leading server could rush in and fight the guys who were running it. Not exactly what you mentioned, but the closest thing I can think of.
FlawedLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 8:46 AM   #71
dane
just sitting

AKA: Trickster

the Schadenfreude i will feel when this game tanks will be immense.

i can't wait.
dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 9:05 AM   #72
Jay
Halloween was months ago

AKA: Emperor Dick Butt

It'll be the most entertaining thing about it
:I

Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 4:16 PM   #73
Maxime
Life in gray

AKA: Thanatos

Maxime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 4:18 PM   #74
Maxime
Life in gray

AKA: Thanatos

and here is an interview
Maxime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 5:13 PM   #75
showler
Doctor Whooooooowwwwlllll!

There's a trailer on Youtube, that is incredibly boring, and a gameplay video that shows no gameplay but does have a fly-through of some of the various places and dungeons.

Game doesn't look bad, but I dunno about the gameplay.

It does seem like they've scaled up the dungeons considerably (in terms of room size), probably to make room for groups of players in them.
showler is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote