Forumopolis

Go Back   Forumopolis > Main > The Main Forum

Old 2012-04-26, 8:57 PM   #1
Varrin
Wizard for Hire

Work They want their money back..wait what?

So a government job I was working about a year ago sent me a letter today. Apparently they are saying they over paid me by around 800 dollars. They are also saying I worked about 2 weeks less time than I did...no idea if I can prove this...yay centralized accounting for a huge organization..... So yeah that's awesome. I totally can afford to just randomly be out that much money.

Is there any reasonable recourse here I'm not thinking of? Other than hoping a Nuhuh! will work. I very much doubt the odds they will listen to me are good.

Varrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 9:02 PM   #2
Caleddin
In the pines, in the pines

Are you self-employed? If so you should have records of how long you worked. If not, someone in the company you work for should be handling this instead of you personally.
Caleddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 9:08 PM   #3
Varrin
Wizard for Hire

This was an 11 month contract position with this organization under which I was directly employed by them. The potential for renewal on a yearly basis was there but sadly they eliminated the position due to budget issue.

Varrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 9:55 PM   #4
Banphrionsa
Her majesty

I would look into your state's labor laws. Seems like something should make a length of time they can dispute something.
Banphrionsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 9:59 PM   #5
Yachem
Social Justice Warrior

Go through your records as best you can to figure out if the mistake is legit. If it's a job where you're constantly working a lot of overtime or other weird hours leading to different sized checks every week it might be tough.

You could also ask them to prove the mistake. Specifically when they claim they paid you for the extra time and so forth. Of course if it is legit I'm not sure there's much you can do, although I would consider going after former employees a year later over $800 a dick move.
Yachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 10:29 PM   #6
Nukesquad
Better than the Best

Around here, we laugh at those claims and ignore it. Here, companies have very little legal power to ask for money back once an employee leaves. At best, if the money owed is large enough for the company to have you declared bankrupt, most people just either stall or ignore it. The cost of following up and retrieving the money is typically much more than the owed amount.

$800 for instant, is my daily work rate in terms of manpower calculation. If I spent more than 1 day doing the necessary to proof you owe the company money and trying to extract it from you, the company is losing money on the whole endevour already. Hence, companies around here and Europe generally write off something as small as that. Hope your case is the same.

All Religions are true for a given value of True.
Nukesquad is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 10:48 PM   #7
Laoke
Evil Little Ducker

I'd personally be helpful. Obstructively helpful, but helpful. Ask them if they could specify the period over which they overpaid you so you can reconcile it with your own records. Ask for the tax details so you can check with the IRD. Basically ask them for more information which will cost them to provide.

If it is legit and they insist on going for it, explain that you don't have the money available right now and ask politely if they'd be willing to consider an installment plan.

- Me, Call of Cthulhu Mafia game 2010
Laoke is offline I donated to Forumopolis!   Reply With Quote