PDA

View Full Version : The best television show, Freaks and Geeks

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 3:53 PM
Let's talk about the greatest fucking show ever. It's called Freaks and Geeks and it's goddamn amazing. I've watched it before, but because I'm a maudlin motherfucker who loves depressing stories.

Here's a blurb about Freaks and Geeks from the authoritative www.wikipedia.com :

"Freaks and Geeks is an American comedy-drama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy-drama) television series, created by Paul Feig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Feig) and produced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_producer) by Judd Apatow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judd_Apatow), that aired on NBC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC) during the 1999–2000 television season. Eighteen episodes were completed, but the series was canceled after only twelve had aired."

You might recognize that name Judd Apatow, he's responsible for a lot of really excellent comedy and he wrote and directed some of the best episodes.

The show is centered around two principle characters, Sam and Lindsay Weir. Two

The two principle characters are siblings Lindsay and Sam Weir.

Lindsay is the older of the two siblings who starts hanging out with the freaks her junior year of highschool. Prior to her junior year she was a definite nerd but after an important life moment began to question the nature of life, social structure and everything else. I feel the show is centered primarily on Lindsay and her experience over everyone else.

Sam is the younger sibling and a freshmen in McKinley high and is very much a geek. He's in love with a girl named Cindy, he and his geek compatriots are the biggest source of humor.

Basically, this show is incredibly well written and is incredibly easy to relate to.

My three favorite episodes are:

"Chokin' and Tokin," "Noshing and Moshing," and "The Little Things."

It's a really outstanding show and I highly urge you fine folk who haven't seen it to check it out, and for those who have to discuss it.

Here's a nice starter topic to get us going, how much of an insane creeper is Nick Andopolis? His obsession with Lindsay is ridiculous.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-22, 3:55 PM
I can never decide whether I like Freaks and Geeks more than the UK Office (i.e. the two best TV shows ever). Either way, both shows are about why growing up is sad.

Phantom
2010-06-22, 3:55 PM
How can you go wrong when you have Joel from MST3K making cameo appearances as the local disco clothing salesman?

Also, this show features the best portrayal of D&D in modern entertainment, bar none.

AndySlash
2010-06-22, 3:59 PM
Lindsay Weir is/was my dream girl. If only she existed in real life.

The "Yearbook Edition" or whatever of the DVD set is a must buy if you are a fan.

Kickflip Jones
2010-06-22, 3:59 PM
Nice job spelling Curb Your Enthusiasm wrong, OP.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:05 PM
I can never decide whether I like Freaks and Geeks more than the UK Office (i.e. the two best TV shows ever). Either way, both shows are about why growing up is sad.

Man, both shows are fucking amazing. Full disclosure, I can't be real objective about it right now, but I would give it to Freaks and Geeks. The UK Office makes me feel uncomfortable a lot, and reminds me a lot of my former soul crushing office job - but Freaks and Geeks reminds me way more of my life and feelings.

I mean, I can't think of an episode that hasn't left me feeling a little down, I mean sure I laugh a ton - but sometimes, I feel like I want to cry at the end of every episode. Either because something is sad, or heartwarming.

Lindsay Weir is/was my dream girl. If only she existed in real life.

The "Yearbook Edition" or whatever of the DVD set is a must buy if you are a fan.

I date a lot of Lindsay Weirs, but I go all Nick on them and welp. Yearbook box set owns.

Kendrick Damar
2010-06-22, 4:09 PM
Yes this is like Judd Apatow: ORIGIN. Full of great characters and jokes. Also one of the few places you can see Martin Starr.

As for Nick Andopolis - super creepy. Apparently Jason Segel came across creepy like that on set.

Swell
2010-06-22, 4:11 PM
--
Also, this show features the best portrayal of D&D in modern entertainment, bar none.

Fact. Even down to having The Cool Guy sit in on a session.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:13 PM
Yes this is like Judd Apatow: ORIGIN. Full of great characters and jokes. Also one of the few places you can see Martin Starr.

As for Nick Andopolis - super creepy. Apparently Jason Segel came across creepy like that on set.

It really fucking is - you can see where he really developed his style. I think it's really funny how quick the bromance between Rogen and Apatow developed - as you'll note, that the episodes that featured Seth Rogen the most are written or directed by Apatow.

Fun Segel fact, Forgetting Sarah Marshall was based in part on Segel's real relationship with Linda Cardellini.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:15 PM
Fact. Even down to having The Cool Guy sit in on a session.

Daniel Desario (the "cool" guy) is one of the best and my favorite characters. One of my favorite scenes is when he comes home with Black Flag's Damaged and listens to it, it's so fucking great.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-22, 4:16 PM
Several F&G alumni can be seen in the TV comedy Party Down, most notably Martin Starr. However, Lizzy Caplan, who played Nick's girlfriend, is also a primary cast member. Party Down is also a pretty good show. Coincidence?

Unfortunately, Party Down also has a lot of Veronica Mars alumni.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-22, 4:17 PM
James Franco is probably one of my favorite actors ever because of Freaks & Geeks :shy: I always like him.

Cameron Frye
2010-06-22, 4:17 PM
I love Freaks and Geeks so much. It's hands down my favorite show of all time. Part of me is sad that it didn't last longer, but part of me thinks it really wrapped up perfectly.

I pretty much love everyone who was ever involved with this show, no matter what they do. And Martin Starr is the best.

Human
2010-06-22, 4:18 PM
James Franco is probably one of my favorite actors ever because of Freaks & Geeks :shy: I always like him.

Perhaps the best guest star ever on 30 Rock, a show filled with great guest stars?

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-22, 4:19 PM
Rick was watching that episode and I walked into the living room and - he can verify this - I very excitedly said "IS THAT JAMES FRANCO?"

Phantom
2010-06-22, 4:20 PM
Daniel Desario (the "cool" guy) is one of the best and my favorite characters. One of my favorite scenes is when he comes home with Black Flag's Damaged and listens to it, it's so fucking great.
I can't believe it took until Pineapple Express to get James Franco back to playing a stoner character. The guy is born to play those roles.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:21 PM
I love Freaks and Geeks so much. It's hands down my favorite show of all time. Part of me is sad that it didn't last longer, but part of me thinks it really wrapped up perfectly.

I pretty much love everyone who was ever involved with this show, no matter what they do. And Martin Starr is the best.

It's kind of a tragedy in that it ended with only one season, and had it been a show from the early 2000s or so I'm sure it would have been much bigger, and not have been canceled. However, I also agree that it ends really well. Certainly I want, no crave more - but it's done so perfectly.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-22, 4:23 PM
I remember reading a little bit about what Paul Feig planned for season 2, and it did sound really good. Sam was going to join the drama club which is PERFECT. But, F&G did wrap up very appropriately for a show about teenagers. I am content.

oreth
2010-06-22, 4:24 PM
Freaks and Geeks is tops when it comes to television shows. I loved it and I watched it over once or twice.

However, my favorite show of all time is Sports Night, I've been on th elook out for a show that could topple it; few (like F&G) have come close, but none of succeeded.

blackjack
2010-06-22, 4:28 PM

Maybe it hits a little close to home because you are still in high-school.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:31 PM
Freaks and Geeks is tops when it comes to television shows. I loved it and I watched it over once or twice.

However, my favorite show of all time is Sports Night, I've been on th elook out for a show that could topple it; few (like F&G) have come close, but none of succeeded.

Cool, let's talk about Freaks and Geeks!

Maybe it hits a little close to home because you are still in high-school.

Good Buzzard burns aside, I think it always hits close to home - because I think the awkward and real subject matter that Freaks and Geeks deals with is ubiquitous across time, certainly it's more pertinent to high school, but those experiences happen all the time and not just in high school. Feeling out of place, unrequited love, being who you are versus who you want to be, it's done exceptionally well.

I Choose Shorts
2010-06-22, 4:31 PM

:gleam:

Kickflip Jones
2010-06-22, 4:32 PM
Maybe it hits a little close to home because you are still in high-school.My high-school experience actually owned. Eat shit nerd.

it was a really good show though

DiNovi
2010-06-22, 4:36 PM
wait this isn't about The Wire

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:37 PM

You're about as funny as Neal Schweiber's stand up routine.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-22, 4:39 PM
I think it is poor form to make this post before Joe

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:47 PM
I don't really want this thread to turn into a "No, this show is better than Freaks and Geeks." thread, because that's stupid and wouldn't foster good discussion. Or, at least that's my view. It would be rather unfair to compare Freaks and Geeks to The Wire as the Wire got to tell a complete story over five seasons whereas Freaks and Geeks only got one season.

I really enjoy the episode where Sam breaks up with Cindy. It's Little Things, one of my favorites I mentioned above. I mean Sam, really, really steps up in that episode in a huge way and it rules.

Gilead
2010-06-22, 4:47 PM
Sorry bro the answer is actually Nathan Barley, threadshittin' hard.

b.glad
2010-06-22, 4:52 PM
I've never watched it, but it's been recommended to me a bunch and I always hear good things about it. It's in my Netflix DVD queue, so maybe I will bump it to the top so I can watch it soon. :)

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-22, 4:54 PM
I've never watched it, but it's been recommended to me a bunch and I always hear good things about it. It's in my Netflix DVD queue, so maybe I will bump it to the top so I can watch it soon. :)

I think this is an excellent idea so that way we'll have another thing to gab about.

One Thursday
2010-06-22, 5:04 PM
This and The Wonder Years always have a special place in my heart.

Templar
2010-06-23, 2:49 PM
Freaks and Geeks basically captured my childhood on screen. It is glorious and painful at the same time.

Brock Landers
2010-06-23, 2:52 PM
I have not seen one minute of this show, and I always intend to.

Also, I wasn't going to be the The Wire guy in here :(

Nerd Ard Ri
2010-06-23, 2:53 PM
I couldn't watch more than one episode.

DiNovi
2010-06-23, 3:11 PM
thread is STILL not about the wire.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-23, 4:18 PM
Freaks and Geeks is better than The Wire.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-23, 4:19 PM
I don't care that they are only distantly comparable under the vague umbrella of "television shows."

Matt
2010-06-23, 4:26 PM
I saw about half the series at a friend's place many years ago and enjoyed it. Will I ever see the rest? Stay tuned to find out.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-23, 4:27 PM
thread is STILL not about DiNovi

Nerd Ard Ri
2010-06-23, 5:27 PM
Freaks and Geeks is better than The Wire.
By what standard?

DiNovi
2010-06-23, 5:44 PM
Jason Segel was better in Undeclared

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-23, 10:40 PM
I'm glad this thread has turned into let's talk about shows that are The Wire or aren't Freaks and Geeks.

I was thinking some more about the show, and I think James Franco's character, Daniel Desario is my favorite secondary character. I really enjoy the episode where he goes to the punk rock club, and the one where he plays dungeons and dragons. Those two show Daniel, really letting his guard down, which shows how well written he was and how good of an actor Franco is because the whole show Desario is the coolest, slickest motherfucker around. I think him letting his guard down in the D&D episode is really interesting in contrast to the episode where Where he gets Lindsay to help him cheat on a test and he tells that sob story about being put in the dumb class, and then in the D&D episode he's actually really upset with himself for not doing well and how he can't seem to do anything right, even be in the AV club.

What's interesting about Freaks and Geeks is that all of the secondary characters get really fleshed out and you get some insight into them. It would have been really interesting to see what would have transpired in the second season.

Jason Segel was better in Undeclared

I would disagree with that! His character in Undeclared is a good character, but Nick Andanopolis is a much more fleshed out character. Although, it may have ended up that his character in Undeclared would get more fleshed out as he was supposed to have a bigger role in the second season. Oh well, that's kind of Apatow's luck!

Human
2010-06-23, 10:45 PM
He was the most fleshed out in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Benjamin
2010-06-23, 11:02 PM
Yeah, it's an alright show.

My favorite part is when Lindsay goes "Do you think The Who practice teenage wasteland before they play it?" And Ken just says, "Baba O'Riley."

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-23, 11:06 PM
He was the most fleshed out in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

lol

Yeah, it's an alright show.

My favorite part is when Lindsay goes "Do you think The Who practice teenage wasteland before they play it?" And Ken just says, "Baba O'Riley."

That was a pretty good part, Ken kind of rules. I like when he makes a ton of money playing quarters in Beers and Weirs.

DiNovi
2010-06-23, 11:14 PM
Lizzy Caplan is in it which is just weird

One Thursday
2010-06-23, 11:41 PM
I'm glad this thread has turned into let's talk about shows that are The Wire or aren't Freaks and Geeks.

I was thinking some more about the show, and I think James Franco's character, Daniel Desario is my favorite secondary character. I really enjoy the episode where he goes to the punk rock club, and the one where he plays dungeons and dragons. Those two show Daniel, really letting his guard down, which shows how well written he was and how good of an actor Franco is because the whole show Desario is the coolest, slickest motherfucker around. I think him letting his guard down in the D&D episode is really interesting in contrast to the episode where Where he gets Lindsay to help him cheat on a test and he tells that sob story about being put in the dumb class, and then in the D&D episode he's actually really upset with himself for not doing well and how he can't seem to do anything right, even be in the AV club.

Daniel was probably my favorite character, but he really was kind of a douchebag. Franco just gave him such charisma that you can forgive the way he acted in the Tests and Breasts episode.

But I did love it when he tried to fit in at the punk rock club.

karlean7
2010-06-23, 11:57 PM
The episode with the D&D game was probably one of the greatest ever.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-24, 12:02 AM
Daniel was probably my favorite character, but he really was kind of a douchebag. Franco just gave him such charisma that you can forgive the way he acted in the Tests and Breasts episode.

But I did love it when he tried to fit in at the punk rock club.

He can be a tremendous douchebag - but I think the D&D episode, and oddly enough the punk rock episode really show the person he is. A confused and lost individual just trying to figure out his place in life.

The episode with the D&D game was probably one of the greatest ever.

It's absolutely incredible. I like how Desario and the geeks really end up bonding together and it makes me all :3 when Desario Is the one who wants to play again the very next night.

Phantom
2010-06-24, 12:05 AM
This thread is going to make me have to watch the show again.

Inspector Spacetime
2010-06-24, 7:00 AM
I bought both volumes of the screenplays a year ago. I need to actually read through them.

The show is definitely in my top ten. Also, the show is timeless eough to be similar to my own high school experience even though it was set in the early 80's.

Benjamin
2010-06-24, 7:29 AM
That was a pretty good part, Ken kind of rules. I like when he makes a ton of money playing quarters in Beers and Weirs. Haha, that's a good one. When he figures out that it's non alcoholic beer right away and just makes the most of the party.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-24, 8:47 AM
I think what distinguishes Freaks & Geeks from a lot of other teenage shows is that a lot of the principal characters are actually intelligent people, especially Lindsay and Sam. They make dumb teenage mistakes, sure, but they're never just stupid or foolish. They grapple with the same sorts of problems that anybody does, and they're usually able to understand why situations are upsetting or unfair. Rarely does the show descend into the sort of petty, hormone-driven clique-wars that define most other high school shows. In fact, though characters get into fights, they'll also often treat each other fairly and in fact pretty compassionately, like when Lindsay makes a real effort to befriend Kim Kelly. I think that the show treats its characters with respect and dignity makes it richer and a more genuine reflection of that slice of American high school.

I think that really is one of the driving themes behind the show, the idea that "freaks and geeks" are often intelligent kids who struggle to find their niches and outlets in life. The scene where Daniel plays D&D with the geeks is not only an amazing scene, but pretty clearly makes the point that these two types of people find comfort in the same place, and sometimes that place is hard to find. As this board is populated exclusively by nerds, I think most of us can relate to that. If you are a weird nerdy kid, then it can be tough to figure out and accept what makes you most comfortable. The show overall explores this (admittedly ubiquitous) theme with an honesty that goes far beyond the sort of saccharine "always be true to yourself" message behind most other teenage shows - I think largely because the show takes the "misfits vs. normal kids/jocks" and completely drops the "vs. normal kids/jocks" part of it, because that sort of competitive attitude is a pretty simplistic and often inaccurate portrayal of high school. Indeed, I think the show steadfastly refuses to portray high school as a "battleground" or as some insular phase of life that you eventually grow out of.

In fact, I think Nick contrasts pretty sharply with all of the other characters for this reason. He comes closest to a "stereotypical" high school character, and, not coincidentally, he's also probably the least smart of the group, makes the worst decisions, suffers some of the worst setbacks, and is probably the most tragic character altogether. Also not coincidentally, his parent is by far the most severe and restrictive, which is something else the show is great about: showing that even though the Weirs are somewhat old-fashioned and goofy, they're also undeniably good parents.

Jimmy McForum
2010-06-24, 9:28 AM
I want to watch this program, but have yet to do so.

Evan the Shaggy
2010-06-24, 9:52 AM
Pete and Pete vs Freaks and Geeks. Go.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-24, 9:53 AM
Pete and Pete vs Freaks and Geeks. Go.

What about Pete and Pete versus The Wire versus Freaks and Geeks in a battle royale????

Oh wait, that's fucking stupid!

Phantom
2010-06-24, 10:29 AM
What about Pete and Pete versus The Wire versus Freaks and Geeks in a battle royale????

Oh wait, that's fucking stupid!
"This should be an exciting match! People have been waiting to see these three shows duke it out in the ring. There's been a lot of talk and speculation on this. Oh! The referee has rung the bell! This match is officially underway!

Oh, right. All three of these are just inanimate DVDs of TV shows. They can't fight.

Man, the people who paid $50 to see this on Pay-Per-View are going to be pissed."

Benjamin
2010-06-24, 10:55 AM
I think Nick's biggest problem is that he's just a teenager. He has very little direction in life at the moment and high school just doesn't appeal to him. I don't think the problem is his intelligence (though I would agree that he is probably the least intelligent of the group). I think his problem is motivation.

His biggest goal in life is to play drums for a rock band, which is an admirable goal. However, he does very little to actualize this goal (save for the one episode where Lindsay pushes him to work at it), and swiftly gives up. He is a typical teenager (or stereotypical, if you will) in this way. How many times in high school did we go, "I think I'll become a blah blah blah" and just never follow through? It seems like his drumming is just a mindless hobby, and the current thing he is sticking to right now. This might also be why he takes to Disco dancing so quickly and rapidly.

I always hoped the best for Nick in the show.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-24, 11:00 AM
I think Grayson's analysis of Nick is pretty spot on. However, I would like to add something, he talks about how he needs people to believe in him and I think that's true. I mean look at how Nick was when he stayed with the Weirs and how he started actually doing something and taking the drums seriously, just because Mr. Weir believed in him.

Benjamin
2010-06-24, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I more or less wanted to add to Grayson's point. I mean, it's pretty clear he is the dumbest of the characters. And to say that he has less direction than any of the other freaks is pretty off. But I think he has potential. Maybe I just see a lot of my own brother in Nick (thinks that because he has a talent he doesn't need to do anything regarding school), and I really see where he is coming from in terms of his "I'm going to be a famous rock star, so nothing else matters" attitude.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-24, 11:19 AM
I think one of my favorite characters in the show is Bill. If Nick is the most stereotypical "hormone driven wannabe rockstar" teenager, then Bill is the most stereotypical "awkward lanky nerd" teenager.

IIRC this is even commented on by characters in the show, but Bill is also the character probably most comfortable with himself. He seems to have the least concern for how uncool or weird he is. I also love that his major media passion is Dallas, because IMO that's an aspect of nerd-kind that writers often miss. Nerds don't just watch Star Trek and play D&D.

But even though Bill is seemingly the most comfortable with himself, he's also somewhat complacent and perhaps even reclusive. The story arc where Coach Fredricks starts dating his mom comes out of left field and shifts Bill from a goofy secondary character to a surprisingly vulnerable and thoughtful kid who's not really equipped to deal with a major life change like that. The scene where Bill breaks down in the car is IMO one of the strongest in the show.

Phantom
2010-06-24, 11:40 AM
He was more of a supporting character, but I loved Harris. He was like the Obi-Wan zen nerd of the group. He gave the others someone to look up to, and seemed to have himself mostly together.

In the world of Freaks & Geeks, he seemed like the one most likely to start a successful software startup.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-06-24, 11:42 AM
Harris was awesome. The scene where he's reading a monster manual on the lawn when Daniel approaches him is so cool. I eventually purchased that very monster manual because it was in the show.

UngorEatStefan
2010-06-24, 11:43 AM
Haverchuck is amazing. The Bill centered stories are all fantastic. I think they do a really good job conveying how comfortable Bill is with himself. Actually the biggest heartbreaking Bill scene, for me is where Allan is yelling at him in his apology/pleading to not die. Talking about how much fun it looks like Bill is having, and the same when he's in the closet with Vicky, "Bill whenever I look at you, you're always laughing and having fun."

Bill rules and the scene where he starts telling Coach Fredericks about Dallas is pretty :3

His breakdown in the car is intense, it's definitely one of the moments that punches you in the gut.

Haha, I too have that Monster Manual.

Benjamin
2010-06-24, 11:45 AM
I love Bill's scene in the closet with Vicky

"What makes you think I want to be in here with you?"

AndySlash
2010-06-24, 12:54 PM
uY_r5O4PKi4

AndySlash
2010-06-24, 1:04 PM
<-----------

booya

this is the first time i have ever changed my avatar since i've been on this forum (that's 7-8 years guys). a worthy change.

One Thursday
2010-06-24, 3:37 PM
Watching the Girlfriends & Boyfriends episode. I've been wondering if Mr. Rosso's actor ad libs lines for a while, but when he mentions to Lindsey that he "got it on in a van" at Woodstock, she looks like she almost lost it.

Hannah Manana
2010-07-05, 11:07 PM
Last Friday, the Independent Film Channel started re-airing the entire series sans commercials on Friday nights with encore showings on Sunday and Monday. I just watched the pilot, which is also the first episode of the show I've ever watched. I really, really liked it. I will be watching the show throughout the summer and look forward to discussing it with people

First of all, can I just comment on how many awesome and recognizable people there are in this show? I knew about Seth Rogan, Martin Starr, Jason Segel, and James Franco, but then Ben Foster shows up out of nowhere, and Lizzy Caplan, and Tom Wilson, and tons of other people.

UngorEatStefan
2010-07-05, 11:10 PM
Watching the Girlfriends & Boyfriends episode. I've been wondering if Mr. Rosso's actor ad libs lines for a while, but when he mentions to Lindsey that he "got it on in a van" at Woodstock, she looks like she almost lost it.

He almost certainly did. A big part of what they did in their writing and filming was leave room open for the actors to ad lib. The actress who played Kim talked about going to Dawson's Creek and how it was so different. You had to say exactly what was in the script, no ad libbing.

Last Friday, the Independent Film Channel started re-airing the entire series sans commercials on Friday nights with encore showings on Sunday and Monday. I just watched the pilot, which is also the first episode of the show I've ever watched. I really, really liked it. I will be watching the show throughout the summer and look forward to discussing it with people

First of all, can I just comment on how many awesome and recognizable people there are in this show? I knew about Seth Rogan, Martin Starr, Jason Segel, and James Franco, but then Ben Foster shows up out of nowhere, and Lizzy Caplan, and Tom Wilson, and tons of other people.

Yeah, it's got a pretty knockout cast. It's strange to think how popular and well received it might have been had it premiered in this decade. That's life I suppose!

I'm eager to hear what you think and want to discuss it with you.

I love how the first episode really cements how important music (and consequently why getting it on DVD was such a laborious process) with Syx's Renegade playing before the bully fight. Ugh what a great show.

One Thursday
2010-07-05, 11:16 PM
Just finished watching the entire series the other day. One thing of note that I don't think anyone mentioned yet, far as surprising cameo roles go: Shia LeBeouf's role as the mascot.

AndySlash
2010-07-05, 11:18 PM
man, i love that first minute of the first episode. the cheesy music and generic high school couple 'i just love you so much' crap, only to pan under the bleachers to the 'freaks'. great stuff.

AndySlash
2010-07-05, 11:20 PM
and then linda cardellinis smile in the opening credits... mmmm

Odyssey
2010-07-05, 11:32 PM
I have mixed feelings about how the show ended. It felt satisfactory in some ways, but it also feels like the creators weren't quite finished with the story. If anything, it was just an ambiguous ending, with equal parts optimism and pessimism.

Also, this show can be credited as having one of the most honest portrayals of what smoking weed is like ever. It's cool that they didn't demonize it or romanticize it.

Tortuga Bañana
2010-07-05, 11:35 PM
but it also feels like the creators weren't quite finished with the storywell it was, uh, cancelled.

Odyssey
2010-07-05, 11:37 PM
yeah duh

UngorEatStefan
2010-07-05, 11:42 PM
I have mixed feelings about how the show ended. It felt satisfactory in some ways, but it also feels like the creators weren't quite finished with the story. If anything, it was just an ambiguous ending, with equal parts optimism and pessimism.

Also, this show can be credited as having one of the most honest portrayals of what smoking weed is like ever. It's cool that they didn't demonize it or romanticize it.

My mom pretty much admitted to me she smoked pot when we watched that episode. She turns to me and says regarding a character's particularly long and paranoid high, "Is this the world's best marijuana?" in a tone of disbelief. My mom got cooler that day.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say it wouldn't be so ambiguous if it hadn't been canceled and it had a second season.

Odyssey
2010-07-05, 11:43 PM
Don't wake up that dog

Benjamin
2010-07-05, 11:47 PM
Yeah, seriously.

I don't think I've ever been as high as Lindsay is in that episode. She must have had some dank ass nugs.

Odyssey
2010-07-06, 12:00 AM
My mom pretty much admitted to me she smoked pot when we watched that episode. She turns to me and says regarding a character's particularly long and paranoid high, "Is this the world's best marijuana?" in a tone of disbelief. My mom got cooler that day.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say it wouldn't be so ambiguous if it hadn't been canceled and it had a second season.

In a way, the ambiguity felt appropriate with the tone of the whole show. It didn't really tell us what the implications behind Lindsay's decision were, or wether things would turn out bad or good because of it. Just that it was a decision she felt she owed it to herself to make. It felt satisfactory, but I guess it's weird knowing that the writers still had more to tell.

Also, I have literally been that high before. I'm not saying that in an "it was awesome" way, just that it felt like a really relatable experience. When she was sitting on the couch wondering how Nick was able to do that every day of his life and still go to class, well, that's how I've felt about friends who smoke all the time.

Benjamin
2010-07-06, 12:04 AM
It didn't look like she smoked enough to get that high, TBH.

I've always thought it was a bit hyperbolic. However, you're right that it was probably one of the better portrayals of the drug. And it shows Lindsay making an informed, educated decision.

Also, Ungor, your mom is pretty cool.

Swell
2010-07-06, 12:06 AM
Also, I have literally been that high before. I'm not saying that in an "it was awesome" way, just that it felt like a really relatable experience. When she was sitting on the couch wondering how Nick was able to do that every day of his life and still go to class, well, that's how I've felt about friends who smoke all the time.

Jesus, yes. I am easily affected by such things and so it's really easy for me to step over "a good time" and move right into "OH GOD I AM SUSPICIOUS AND PARANOID OF EVERYTHING FUCK FUCK FUCK."

And I felt they tapped into that very nicely.

Aries Walker
2010-07-06, 1:32 AM
Seriously, guys, this show was about me and my sister. I looked, acted, and quoted Caddyshack like Sam Weir. My sister looked, acted, and wore a green army jacket and early-80's hair like Lindsay. It was similarity bordering on creepiness.

I should get it on DVD.

Brock Landers
2010-07-07, 12:49 PM
Just started the pilot, holy shit, this show is Final Destination 3 canon !!!!! :)

post pilot edit: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Brock Landers
2010-07-09, 9:45 PM
If you have IFC, the second episode "Beers and Weirs" airs in a mere 15 minutes on that channel! I can't wait :crinkle:

Odyssey
2010-07-09, 9:47 PM
I'M SO WASTED

Brock Landers
2010-07-26, 6:25 PM
Now I've seen 4 episodes. I like the show a lot! I can't wait for the next episode on Friday.

I have to admit the Halloween episode has been my least favorite. It felt really episodic, and I could see what was gonna happen coming really far away. I did like that it characterized the dad some, though!

Hannah Manana
2010-08-01, 12:13 PM
Kim Kelly is My Friend is a pretty amazing hour of television.

Jimmy McForum
2011-06-30, 9:23 PM
Just got up to speed (save for the weed episode; I don't think Nickelodeon is gonna show it). Amazing, amazing show.

It made me thank God I'm not in high school any more

AKBoarder
2011-06-30, 9:41 PM
So I have just recently finished watching this show, as I mentioned in my ill fated other thread on this topic, because I'm bad at searching and making awesome threads like my bro Stefan.

Anyway, I thought it was really fantastic and some scenes definitely stuck out for me, like the scene with Black Flag that Stefan mentioned, the DnD scene that everyone mentioned, and a few others. Jason Segal's character, and romantic activities, made me super uncomfortable. So creepy. He really was a terrible person (very well written character, just not good), creepy, unmotivated, lots of other things. I love Jason Segal as an actor, basically ever since I saw him in Slackers and SLC Punk, but Nick is really just.. unbecoming.

I was reading some articles about the show, and this is a total aside from above, and I found some recent pictures of the cast at some event they did, and John Frances Daly really grew like.. a ton. He is almost as tall as Jason Segal who is, himself, really god damn tall.

I think my favorite character was Bill, because he seemed the most in tune with who he was and just kind of wandered through life enjoying things. It would have been exciting to see him develop his athletic side more in following seasons, but what can you do?

Like everyone else I now have a crush on Linda Cardellini. I've never watched ER or anything else she's been in so she was a total surprise to me. I definitely knew girls in high school who were exactly like her so it was kind of fun seeing that played out on screen.

I worry about Daniel though, curious as to what would have happened with his character over the years. He was already 18 in the season that aired, and he seemed obviously older than the rest of the kids, so I kind of wonder how he would have handled being 20 when he graduated, or if he would have ended up dropping out. I kind of feel as though that's where it would have gone with him, and then he'd either end up in prison or the military. Or maybe I'm just projecting because he's the character I identified with the most.

Lindsey and Sam's parents are such great parents, I especially liked the episode where they read Lindsey's diary and the Mom started standing up for herself more, making her husband do the dishes, etc. I've often heard that being a parent in the late 70's and early 80's was a really transitional time for people because of the changing gender roles, things like that..

Neil was the most annoying character, by far. It always irritated me that Alan picked on Sam because he was so much less nerdy and annoying than Neil. His attempts at humor, the fucking dummy, everything, just annoyed the shit out of me. Even in the last episode he pissed me off when he was being a dick to Daniel when he showed interest in playing DnD. I would have enjoyed watching him get trash canned.

I think the music deserves a ton of credit as almost a member of the cast on its own. The songs were so well chosen, and fit the scenes so well, it was really perfect. Especially the scene with Linda Cardellini dancing to Box of Rain, it was the perfect song for her situation, and it was so exciting to see her dip out on the academic masturbation conference and go explore instead. I wasn't surprised, because her love of On the Road kind of foreshadowed that, but it was just a really fun scene.

Hmm..

Yeah, I literally just watched episode 18 after work today, so my thoughts are still pretty fresh and processing, but in general I'd say that this was a fantastic show and definitely deserved to be around longer.

I can also so that Undeclared is an amazing show as well, and having watched it years ago I can see where they cribbed a lot from Freaks and Geeks.

OH

My actual favorite scene, now that I think about it, was the scene where Sam was asking Gordon Crisp about his body odor, and just how conscientious and cute Sam was being and then Gordon is just like "I know I smell bad, but I don't care and here's all the reasons why". Gordon was just such a great and lovable character, he just, like Bill, seemed to have, or at least project, a really good grasp of who he was. He made a lot of light deprecating jokes about himself, but always with a grin on his face. I just really liked him as a character. He reminds me a lot of one of my best friends in high school, who unfortunately ended up dying of a heart attack a few years ago because he kept getting bigger (he was over 500 pounds when he died, at 24), but seeing the Gordon Crisp character really brought a lot of nice memories back for me.

So yeah, what a great show and I wish that I would have watched it a long time ago. I had "browncoat syndrome" with it. Anytime people are too evangelical about certain media I tune out and can't imagine watching it, like with Firefly, and now this. I may need to reexamine that policy ;)

AKBoarder
2011-06-30, 9:47 PM
Here's the pictures of the cast recently, Cindy Sanders is a stone cold fucking fox now. Like.. GOT DAMN.

I honestly think if I had watched this show in high school (I would have been 15/16 when it came out, I think) it would have really changed my perspectives on some people that I also went to school with.

Guy who plays Neil looks exactly the same. Same with Millie.

UngorEatStefan
2011-06-30, 9:51 PM
Akboarder, that was damn fine post about Freaks and Geeks

AKBoarder
2011-06-30, 11:14 PM
He almost certainly did. A big part of what they did in their writing and filming was leave room open for the actors to ad lib. The actress who played Kim talked about going to Dawson's Creek and how it was so different. You had to say exactly what was in the script, no ad libbing.

This is pretty well reflected in the way the characters on Dawson's Creek spoke to each other. I loved that show when it was on, because I am a big sappy teddy bear when it comes to teen dramas, but it was definitely never intended to be the slice of real life kind of show like Freaks and Geeks. I don't believe that even today Katie Holmes or James Van Der Beek would be capable of speaking (on their own) as eloquently as they supposedly were as characters in the show.

It seems like the creators of Freaks and Geeks were kind of showing a true reflection of how their high school experience was, without trying to dress it up and pretend they were the prom kings or bad boys or whatever, while Kevin Williamson (Dawson's Creek creator) tried to retcon his high school experience and turn himself (the Dawson character) into some sort of ultra mature and intelligent wunderkind.

Jesus, yes. I am easily affected by such things and so it's really easy for me to step over "a good time" and move right into "OH GOD I AM SUSPICIOUS AND PARANOID OF EVERYTHING FUCK FUCK FUCK."

And I felt they tapped into that very nicely.

Yeah, I'm the same way. That's the main reason I don't smoke, it's too easy for me to smoke just a bit too much which either leaves me ultra paranoid or so knocked on my ass that I just lay on a couch and stare.

Akboarder, that was damn fine post about Freaks and Geeks

Thanks brah

AndySlash
2011-07-01, 12:17 AM
I think the music deserves a ton of credit as almost a member of the cast on its own. The songs were so well chosen, and fit the scenes so well, it was really perfect. Especially the scene with Linda Cardellini dancing to Box of Rain,

this scene hit me hard, in a good way. tears of joy.

AndySlash
2011-07-01, 12:27 AM
also

http://www.forumopolis.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76812&stc=1&d=1309488425.

daaaaaaaaaaamn

Jimmy McForum
2011-07-01, 7:53 AM
Here's the pictures of the cast recently, Cindy Sanders is a stone cold fucking fox now. Like.. GOT DAMN.

I honestly think if I had watched this show in high school (I would have been 15/16 when it came out, I think) it would have really changed my perspectives on some people that I also went to school with.

Guy who plays Neil looks exactly the same. Same with Millie.
Who's the guy between Apatowsaurus and Harris?

AKBoarder
2011-07-01, 12:25 PM
I think that's Paul Feig, the other Producer and Creator of the series.

UngorEatStefan
2012-10-04, 11:49 AM
Whoa Stefan, why are you bumping this year old thread??? Don't you have a poll you should be monitoring??

Well, I'm glad you asked - because while it's true I do have many important threads to tend to in my thread garden, this particular thread has begun to bloom after I thought it dead.

Here's why suckas, Netflix has Freaks and Geeks streaming:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Freaks_and_Geeks/70253797?locale=en-US

Here's an article about why you should stop what you're doing right now and watch it.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/10/10-reasons-to-stop-what-youre-doing-and-watch-freaks-and-geeks-on-netflix.html

Although beware, some spoilers are contained in the article

10. The music
The music is essentially a supporting character on Freaks and Geeks. In fact, difficulty securing the rights for its killer, period-specific soundtrack was the main reason why the show (which aired for one season in 1999) wasn’t released on DVD until 2004. Thankfully, that’s all been sorted out and we can relive some of the best uses of music on TV, like Nick serenading Lindsay with Styx’s “Lady,” the freaks driving aimlessly on Halloween to Cheap Trick’s “Gonna Raise Hell,” Janis Joplin belting out a mournful “Maybe” after Lindsay finds Daniel and Kim making out on her bed, Daniel (who once wisely taught us that “rock and roll don’t come from your brain; it comes from your crotch”) discovering punk rock, or Bill enjoying some alone time to The Who’s “I’m One”—which you can watch below.

9. The cast
Nearly everyone who starred on Freaks and Geeks has gone on to bigger and better things—so much so that it almost seems laughable that NBC decided to pull the plug on this show after just 18 episodes. “It’s an Apatow teen comedy, starring James Franco, Jason Segel and Seth Rogen” is pretty much all you’d have to say today to start a network bidding war, but beyond that, the entire ensemble was perfectly cast. Linda Cardellini is the heart of the show as Lindsay Weir. Busy Phillips steals every scene she’s in as Kim Kelly, and John Francis Daley is adorable as Lindsay’s dorky brother Sam.

8. The cameos
That’s baby Shia LaBeouf as Hebert, the school mascot who breaks his arm, below. He’s just one of many people you’ll recognize in bit parts on Freaks and Geeks. There’s Rashida Jones as the bullying, boyfriend-stealing Karen Scarfoli, Ben Stiller as a secret service agent considering a new career path, Jason Schwartzman as a fake ID salesman, Lizzy Caplan as Sarah (Nick’s disco-loving rebound gal) and more. And, while it’s more of a recurring role than a cameo, Tom Wilson (who you probably know best as Biff from Back to the Future) turns up as gym teacher Mr. Fredericks, and it’s nothing short of awesome.

7. It’s realistic
High-school shows tend to veer dangerously close to after-school special territory, getting preachy or offering contrived romances and happy endings. But Freaks and Geeks has an impressive realism to it. Maybe it’s because nearly all of the primary cast members were actually teenagers at the time of filming, or maybe it’s Paul Feig’s insistence that everyone on the Michigan-based show refer to soft drinks as “pop” instead of “soda” (a small touch that warms my Midwestern heart). The dialogue isn’t always as snappy as the rapid-fire one-liners on Gilmore Girls, but the teens on Freaks and Geeks speak like real high-schoolers—even if that means a “no duh” or an “anyways” thrown in here or there. But ultimately, what it comes down to is that the characters on Freaks and Geeks are flawed people trying to figure out who they are. Sometimes they hurt each other, sometimes they make mistakes and sometimes they have to come to terms with the fact that they’ll never become famous drummers (we’re looking at you, Nick Andopolis).

6. It’s relatable
No matter who you were in high school—freak, geek, jock, or someone with feet in a few different camps—there’s someone for you to identify with on Freaks and Geeks. The storylines often dealt with run-of-the-mill adolescent issues like dealing with crushes, being picked last in gym class, cheating on tests, etc., but it never felt formulaic. Because, let’s be honest, who among us hasn’t sat through an assembly like the one below?

5. It’s concise
Hey, you’re preaching to the choir when you tell us that this show got yanked too soon. But we have to admit, the fact that Freaks and Geeks only lasted one season does make marathon viewings a lot less daunting. Plus, its early exit means that the show went out on top. The series finale—the final scene of which you can see below—leaves just the right amount of mystery and is so nearly perfect that we almost wouldn’t want any more than what we got. Almost.

4. The outfits
Sure, the clothing on Freaks and Geeks is nowhere near as chic as the wardrobe on Mad Men, but as we all know, fashion is cyclical, and it’s fun to look back at the plaid flannel shirts and colored denim and marvel at the fact that they’d be trendy again a decade after the show aired. Some of the little numbers on the show, like Sam’s Parisian nightsuit or basically anything Millie wore, will never come back, but they’re still fun to gawk at.

3. You might pick up on some stuff you missed the first time around
Rewatching a series always inspires little moments of discovery where you pick up on small touches you overlooked the first time around, and Freaks and Geeks is no different. For example, you’re only able to chuckle knowingly when Kim steps in poop and yells “I’m gonna kill that dog” in “The Diary” if you know that she does, in fact, accidentally run over said pooch with her car four episodes later (in the aptly titled “Dead Dogs and Gym Teachers”). But, for those of us who were angsty adolescents ourselves during the show’s original run, there’s also something to rewatching Freaks and Geeks with a little adult perspective. We can only hope to one day be as astute as Mr. and Mrs. Weir listening to The Who’s “Squeezebox”:

2. It’s hilarious
This almost goes without saying, but in addition to being incredibly moving and relatable, Freaks and Geeks is extremely funny. No other show has captured the inherent humor of being an awkward teenager quite like this series did.

1. A funny scene

Blurry
2012-10-04, 12:01 PM
It really is one of the best shows. It's so well done and everyone in it is so good.

If you haven't watched the show, you have no excuses left, so watch it.

UngorEatStefan
2012-10-04, 12:04 PM
It really is one of the best shows. It's so well done and everyone in it is so good.

If you haven't watched the show, you have no excuses left, so watch it.

It is the best show. Hands down. Perfection.

Just peep this scene everyone and recognize how well done it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmCpmEQD0L4

Templar
2012-10-04, 12:38 PM
This show ruled so much. And it was SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO accurate.

UngorEatStefan
2012-10-04, 12:52 PM
Just finished the first episode, spoiler alert still the best

Sam
2012-10-04, 12:52 PM
It is the best show. Hands down. Perfection.

once I got in like a two hour argument about how my friends in longmont watched both it and Heroes over a week and thought Heroes was better in "pretty much conceptually every way"

Benjamin
2012-10-04, 1:50 PM
I love the scene where Sam thinks Come Sail Away is a slow dancing song.

Blurry
2012-10-04, 1:57 PM
I love the scene where Sam thinks Come Sail Away is a slow dancing song.

That scene / episode made me love that song even more than I already did.

UngorEatStefan
2012-10-04, 1:58 PM
I think Styx is fucking terrible but that first episode uses Styx in the most perfect way

Swell
2012-10-04, 2:14 PM
Have you guys seen the deleted scene that shows the counselor's comment after the song? It is pretty lol

/edit To be specific, this is the Styx song moment

Blurry
2012-10-04, 2:25 PM
Fun fact: watch Anchorman, look for the counselor eating dinner over someone's shoulder in a restaurant scene. He's just sitting there eating dinner.

Benjamin
2012-10-04, 2:34 PM
I think Styx is fucking terrible but that first episode uses Styx in the most perfect way

Agreedo

Griff
2012-10-04, 4:28 PM
Hah. I just started watching this on Netflix streaming too. Love this show.

Icenine
2012-10-04, 8:50 PM
I was so excited when I saw Freeks & Geeks show up in Instant Watch. I've been re-watching it recently and ya, pretty awesome.