PDA

View Full Version : A question about inboxes

Jasper
2009-09-16, 4:05 PM
This may be a dumb question but I will ask it anyway because it has bothered me for a long time.
Why is it that outgoing PMs count against the inbox??

Jamster
2009-09-16, 4:23 PM
Because they take up room like anything else, I guess.

ColinZeal
2009-09-16, 5:48 PM
Ding!

Jasper
2009-09-16, 5:49 PM
But shouldn't they be taking up space in the other person's box?? They seem to take up spaces in two places??

I have less than 100 messages in my box, but it says I have 500 and I am 100% full. It doesn't really seem fair.

Jasper
2009-09-16, 5:50 PM
Also in that manner, one could have no messages in the inbox but still be full.

ColinZeal
2009-09-16, 6:03 PM
But shouldn't they be taking up space in the other person's box?? They seem to take up spaces in two places??
This is how it's coded. When you send someone else a message, that becomes their message, and you can't read it. Delete your sent folder!

Kendrick Damar
2009-09-16, 6:07 PM
They don't serve the PM feature Colin, take it away if they complain about it being too small!

Jamster
2009-09-16, 8:07 PM
You have a copy for your own viewing pleasure. There's a lil' system called e-mail that works much the same way. As Colin says just delete what's in your sent folder...

Baldrick
2009-09-17, 3:52 AM

It's the way it's set up. This way you both get your own copies of the message and can delete them separately at will. Just clean up your Sent folder!

But honestly, if you excuse the tangent: I don't get the way some of you use PMs. It's supposed to be a quick, convenient feature for direct/emergency contact if you have no other way to reach them, not your own personal Jesus chatboxes.

- If your messages are bigger than a couple of paragraphs and/or go back and forth more than once or twice, you're doing it wrong.

- If you feel such a conversation might take place, there's no reason for your next or initial message not to be: "hey, give me your email/IM".

- PMs consume a non-trivial amount of server resources. The limits we have set now are pretty generous, and work under the assumption that people will clean up after themselves and only push them when the situation requires it (Secret Santas and such). Before anyone asks, raising them even more would be silly.

- If you want to save them, we now have a multi-format message export feature. Select messages from the list, choose "Download as ___" from the dropdown just below. Learn it. Love it.

- For perspective, PM box size used to be 5 for the longest time. Let's not feel the need to go back there, shall we?

I Choose Shorts
2009-09-17, 8:58 AM
I have less than 100 messages in my box, but it says I have 500 and I am 100% full. It doesn't really seem fair.

Maybe you should stop PMing so many people that don't want to respond to you

pillows de radio
2009-09-17, 4:42 PM
If only there was some other way to send someone a message on the Internet. Sigh I guess I'm just a dreamer like that.

Breathe
2009-09-17, 8:18 PM
If you want to hang onto the messages you sent, there's links at the bottom to let you download them in three different formats. Every year during and after the Santa swaps I have to do this at least once. Then I move the stuff I need to keep into a sub folder and nuke the rest. Really helps free up the space.

Jasper
2009-09-18, 1:57 PM
Well I *did* say in the opening post that it was a dumb question.
Now that I know about the sent folder, I have emptied it and I am happy. Ticket closed.

I also find it annoying when people reply to a pm in which I gave them my e-mail and told I prefer it over other methods.

Capecreek
2009-11-26, 12:29 PM
Id like to get a flat screen for my daughters room. My question is this: How do I know what size is good? To give an idea of how big her room is: she has a twin bed with a trundle underneath...when thats pulled out and raised, about 50 of the space in her room is gone. I dont want a huge 40-something inch, but I also dont want her to have to sit right up on the TV to see it.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ColinZeal
2009-11-26, 12:48 PM
Capecreek, or NotPayingAttentionSpammingcreek?

Eh, I got nothin.