PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age looks so retarded

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 4:02 PM
Yeah, since my Rogue is a Ranger/Bard Archer who does most of her fighting at range, I end up staying in shoulder quite a bit to maneuver her. Although Isometric has its uses too, especially for healing non-party helpful NPCs, positioning AoEs not to hit party members, and maneuvering melee.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 4:05 PM
Edit: do most people play over the shoulder view or isometric? I zoomed in to over the shoulder view for a bit and enjoyed it, especially since I could tilt the view up or down. Going back to isometric made the camera feel so much more restrictive.
When not in combat I pretty much exclusively use the over the shoulder view.

When in combat I spend about 90% of the time in isometric, and about 10% of the time in a "pulled-out view" (distant from the character, but not technically isometric).

Xyzandra
2009-11-09, 4:13 PM
If you play dwarf noble, deactivate your dlc items before you start*. (PC only. Consoles are fine.)
Have enough cunning to learn coercion. It's a bioware game.
You don't need herbalism to use potions. You do need poison-making to use poisons.

*at the end of the origin you lose all your stuff. Permanently. However you can get most of your dlc back by "cheating".

Save your game. Exit to menu. Untick all the dlc. Reload your save game and select force load. Save the game again. Reselect all the dlc and reload.
However this will not give your memory ring thingy back nor the +1 skill tome that comes with it. So if you want to be sneaky, unselect that option in the dlc but keep everything else. Sell the Blood Armor to a vendor (you don't lose cash) as you won't be able to wear it before the origin ends anyway. After the force load as shown above, include the memory band as your reselect. Viola (sic) you have your stuff back and a ton of gold :)

Jay
2009-11-09, 4:31 PM
I really would have liked to have had a party size of 5.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 4:35 PM
I really would have liked to have had a party size of 5.
But if it were 5 would you want 6?

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 4:37 PM
4 is fine. 1-2 tanks, 1-2 DPS, and a healer.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 5:00 PM
Have enough cunning to learn coercion. It's a bioware game.
Oh man, THIS. I think you only need 16 cunning to max this too. Whatever, it's worth it to put points here no matter what class you are. The PC is the only one who can learn this, so prioritize this and let your companions be the tradeskill bitches.

As for party composition, I have Alistair (Templar/Champion) as tank, Shale as offtank/dps, Zevran for DPS (and comedy) and me as healing/CC.

Sometimes I have Shale be the main tank, (enemy tactics spoiler, no plot)namely against dragons because they can't pick him up and toss him around. But most of the time, I rotate him out for other companions in order to get different party interactions.

Sorry if my spoiler labels are too much, I figure it's better to label and describe what's there than have someone reading something they didn't want to know v:)v

Sydney Carton
2009-11-09, 5:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm not reading the spoilers. If I were to start playing this game now, what vague pointers could you give me that would allow me to avoid making some regrettable decisions/oversights that you guys made at the beginning of your play!

Unlike a lot of RPGs lockpicking is not crazy essential and doesn't seem to net you much. If you're a Rogue and/or have a Rogue in your party with some lockpicking skills, great, but you aren't ever missing out on some awesome loot because you can't pick open some chest or door.

edit: Also, yeah you do want to have one of your party members as a "tank". There are abilities Warriors can get which make enemies focus on them more, and the heavier the armor a character is wearing the more threat they generate on enemies.

Jay
2009-11-09, 5:09 PM
But if it were 5 would you want 6?

No, and mostly I'd just want the extra member for party interation. Because nobody really interacts with you.

The Lazarus
2009-11-09, 5:17 PM
Landsmeet spoiler
Is there a way to get past Catherien or whatever her name is with the big sword without fighting? I was able to Intimidate her to back down, but the only dialogue options afterwards forced a fight anyway.

boogada
2009-11-09, 5:23 PM
Landsmeet spoiler
Is there a way to get past Catherien or whatever her name is with the big sword without fighting? I was able to Intimidate her to back down, but the only dialogue options afterwards forced a fight anyway.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I know I made it by her without a fight.

BRAVE OR GRAVE!
2009-11-09, 5:33 PM
So, toolset-curious people - Will we be experiencing NWN1 or NWN2 levels of support?

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-09, 5:40 PM
Here's a question.

How many of you have gone back to the first page since launch to see how bad we were shitting on this game. I mean, we were justified! All we had to go on was THE NEW SHIT/

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 5:40 PM
So, toolset-curious people - Will we be experiencing NWN1 or NWN2 levels of support?
Better than NWN2, that's for sure. BioWare nailed the toolset. It's a great tool from what I can tell.

The problem, however, is that - like NWN2 - modules are simply more time-consuming than they were in NWN1. You can't get around that as technology progresses. It's harder to make a nice looking level than it was 7 years ago. This drives away the most casual toolset users, though arguably they're not producing anything noteworthy anyway.

There's also the fact that the assets in the game are all Dragon Age-specific. Since it's not a D&D game, it's hard to make "generic" worlds. You won't see remakes of D&D modules with this toolset. You'll see a lot of Ferelden-specific stuff, and that may or may not result in fewer people interested in working with this toolset.

In addition, the game does not support multiplayer. The persistent world scene won't drive any projects here.

However, again, BioWare has nailed the toolset. It's pretty much as good as it can be. It's integrated into the social site and they've done a lot of things to make it easier for people to collaborate on projects. They're also on the ball as far as documentation goes and run a toolset wiki, so all documentation will be concentrated and will only improve with time. Compare this to NWN2 which had terrible documentation.

I'm very hopeful.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 5:45 PM
Here's a question.

How many of you have gone back to the first page since launch to see how bad we were shitting on this game. I mean, we were justified! All we had to go on was THE NEW SHIT/

Yeah again it just goes to show how horrible this game was marketed. Really chaps my hide!

Human
2009-11-09, 5:46 PM
I named my dog SirBarkso

edit: i said I played the game and it was good months ago but no one even replied

BRAVE OR GRAVE!
2009-11-09, 5:49 PM
What exactly do you mean by DA-specific, TT?

EDIT: No one believed you, Human. Your word is nothing.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 5:52 PM
What exactly do you mean by DA-specific, TT?
well I mean, in NWN1/2 you had "orcs" and "trolls" and they are all kind of generic. In DA you have hurlocks and darkspawn. Everything is uniquely "Dragon Age-y." The toolset lacks some customization options that you have in NWN1/2. For instance, weapons and armor are not very customizable visually and have limited tinting options. You cannot scale creatures or buildings.

In short, it's very difficult to make anything that doesn't look like it's set in Ferelden.

BRAVE OR GRAVE!
2009-11-09, 5:57 PM
That's a shame, on the the customization front. I can understand the lack of models not in the setting but not able to tweak the shit out of the stuff you get seems a bit too limiting.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 5:59 PM
That's a shame, on the the customization front. I can understand the lack of models not in the setting but not able to tweak the shit out of the stuff you get seems a bit too limiting.

It's understandable from BioWare's end. Why spend time working on stuff that won't be in the game? You're spending time and money on content that the vast majority of users will never see.

That said, I will be shocked if they don't release content packs in the future for PC users. At the very least, they will probably package community-made content and give it out.

Katara
2009-11-09, 6:03 PM
Question about the Dwarf City

Are Behlen or Harrowmont "good" or "bad" or is it simply a choice between the two? I'm trying to play as a goody goody character this time around."

White Tyger
2009-11-09, 6:05 PM
I was hoping to get Dragon Age for my birthday but, alas it was not so. Going to have to trade in games to pick it up I guess.

AKBoarder
2009-11-09, 6:08 PM

Are Behlen or Harrowmont "good" or "bad" or is it simply a choice between the two? I'm trying to play as a goody goody character this time around."

Well, they're dwarfs, and it's all politics and assassination and everything with them, but Harrowmont is definitely the least bad.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 6:08 PM

Man I couldn't even tell after all the propaganda that was thrown at me. I chose Harrowmont because he didn't seem like a whiny "IT'S MY BIRTHRIGHT" prick like Behlen was. *shrug*

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-09, 6:10 PM
Here's a question.

I went there a bit after the first couple of days of release, and even had a post all set up that quoted lots of people making fun of it now changing their minds. It wasn't even the "the advertising for this game is awful," because that was widespread, it was the "nope, this game sucks, reviewers are biased about it, ain't no way this game won't be awful peace" type responses. But then I deleted and made fun of Draft by himself by suggesting ways that the thread title might be changed.

I am nowhere near the end of the game (maybe 65% through? maybe more? maybe less?) but I feel like after a lot of time spent in the game I can make the following conclusions.

Pros: The world is fantastic. The voice acting is extremely well done. The interaction between characters is amazing, even for a game type/genre that is built upon those types of conventions. The game is extremely polished in terms of errors/screw ups. Every now and then I start to get extended loading sequences, but if I exit and return the game it clears up. The UI, while often dense, is pretty effective. I love that unlocking a specialization keeps it unlocked for further playthroughs. The origins are really well done, and it makes me fully understand why they couldn't just "add" an origin at the last second. The story arcs are really in depth and meaty, and it feels like an accomplishment when you finish them off.

Cons: There's very little heft to being a Grey Warden, like KJ mentioned, outside of worldwide respect/scorn. The game is difficult, with the big battles being challenging on easy mode. A lot of fights can be accomplished with most groups, but unless you want a CRAZY CHALLENGE, you best have someone to soak up a tank role, and you best have some way to manage heals. This wouldn't be as big a deal, in my opinion, if you had five party members, as you can mix and match with roles more. Inventory can be an utter bitch, but I just read/found a mod that puts a chest in your camp that doesn't require you to buy bullshit DLC. Player AI can be pretty sketchy with your characters, no matter how in depth you make your tactics. Some skills could use, well, more reasons to pick them, like stealth/survival/etc.

So, in summation:

Reasons to buy the game: It is really good, and it has worthwhile replay value, on a more fundamental level than "now let's see what happens when I play an evil character."

Reasons to not buy the game: It (can be) challenging? Sketchy teammate AI? Those are question marks because they are more opinions than anything. I have no doubt that some people love the challenge, and the people who tend to micromanage like crazy have no problems at all with AI.

Really, the best reason to not buy this game (if you normally like this type of game) is to protest the abysmal advertising campaign. To send a message that if you are going to promote a game with level of idiocy, I am not going to reward that with my money.

Melanchthon
2009-11-09, 6:12 PM
So I'm pretty sure I'm done in Lothering now (Nothing more on the chantry board, Sten is in my group and no more quest NPCs that I can find), and I just hit 7 without having any specializations unlocked (Mage char, FYI). Where should I head next?

edit: Also, can't get my DLC to work. I've read quite a bit about it, and it seems I'm now at the point of either waiting for a fix or cracking software I legitimately own. Joy.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 6:13 PM
man just go where-fucking-ever. How did you people play videogames before the internet?

Lapak
2009-11-09, 6:15 PM
So I'm pretty sure I'm done in Lothering now (Nothing more on the chantry board, Sten is in my group and no more quest NPCs that I can find), and I just hit 7 without having any specializations unlocked (Mage char, FYI). Where should I head next?

edit: Also, can't get my DLC to work. I've read quite a bit about it, and it seems I'm now at the point of either waiting for a fix or cracking software I legitimately own. Joy.There are two companions you can add in Lothering.

Greatbob Umber
Man I couldn't even tell after all the propaganda that was thrown at me. I chose Harrowmont because he didn't seem like a whiny "IT'S MY BIRTHRIGHT" prick like Behlen was. *shrug*

Spoilers for the Orzammar storyline in reference to the dwarf commoner origin:
Yeah, I chose Harrowmont too. And that decision was made even more difficult since the dwarf commoner storyline has your sister rising up out of the slums by marrying Behlen. I had to go with Harrowmont because I decided that my character cares more about his duty as a Grey Warden than in making his sister happy by putting the wrong person on the throne. And I made that decision after quitting the game to think about it. And now my sister has disowned me, I killed my childhood best friend, all for making what felt like the best decision for Orzammar. Goddamn.

Say Yes To The Wes
the game is open and everything scales to your level so you literally have the freedom to go where-evs.

Gideon

edit: Also, can't get my DLC to work. I've read quite a bit about it, and it seems I'm now at the point of either waiting for a fix or cracking software I legitimately own. Joy.

Did you get the bard? If not, you aren't done with Lothering.

Melanchthon
2009-11-09, 6:17 PM
There are two companions you can add in Lothering.

Oh, right. I also have Leeloodallasmultipass. And was just asking for opinions, Grayson. In the days before the internet I was busy gossiping with my friends about possible hidden areas in zelda and shit. Wanting others to be a part of your gaming experience isn't a crime.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 6:19 PM
it's a crime in my america.

Xyzandra
2009-11-09, 6:22 PM
Dlc has been fine for me. The only problems I've had is the social.bioware.com stuff being buggy and and the odd game bug

Windansea
2009-11-09, 6:23 PM
I caved and bought some of the DLC stuff, like Soldier's Peak. I am weak-willed and I already had the MS points to spend.

4 is fine. 1-2 tanks, 1-2 DPS, and a healer.
My only issue there is that Wynne's the only healer if you aren't a healer yourself. You are sort of shoehorned into using her more than the others.

LeeloodallasmultipassLOL

Melanchthon
2009-11-09, 6:23 PM
I live in Redneckistan. There's a line of scary mountain men with rifles and butter churns between your 'merica and mine. :smug:

Lex Senthur
2009-11-09, 6:35 PM
So are there any romance options beyond Morrigan and Leliana? Well, Mantonio is, and Alistair as a girl, but what about everyone else?

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-09, 6:36 PM
You can give Sten a happy ending.

Edit: But he doesn't enjoy it.

Lex Senthur
2009-11-09, 6:40 PM
You can give Sten a happy ending.

Edit: But he doesn't enjoy it.
I'ma marry my dog, like Yatzee would have wanted.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 6:41 PM
YOUR HAIRY KNUCKLES ARE A WORTHY OPPONENT

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 6:43 PM
I caved and bought some of the DLC stuff, like Soldier's Peak. I am weak-willed and I already had the MS points to spend.

My only issue there is that Wynne's the only healer if you aren't a healer yourself. You are sort of shoehorned into using her more than the others.

LOL

I had this problem in BG2 as well with Viconia being the only pure cleric.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 6:54 PM
healing's not too bad as long as someone can cast heal. You can rely on potions a fair amount.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 6:55 PM
The Soldier's Peak DLC was actually pretty awesome, if only for the fleshing out of the Warden back story.

And yeah, honestly, just give Morrigan a heal, set a tactic, and watch yourself, and it isn't too bad to go Wynne-less.

Not that I would want to, Wynne is such an awesome old lady. <3

Lex Senthur
2009-11-09, 6:56 PM
I eventually gave Morrigan the first tier heal and it saved me so much hassle.

The Lazarus
2009-11-09, 7:00 PM
Relying on potions was all I did because I delayed going to the Circle Mages for a while. I basically emptied every merchants' inventory of their potions. Stuns and knockdowns were my bane.

bosskii
2009-11-09, 7:13 PM
Going back three pages because this thread moves too fast, am I the only one who thinks the Redcliff/Connor option nobody seems to like is actually the one a true Grey Warden would choose? I believe I can 100% say Duncan would have done it. There is no time to fuck around! You get more of it in Soldier's Peak, but Grey Wardens seem to feel that there is no cost too great. I mean, I realize we do a lot of stupid shit in the game to level up and whatnot, but when there is a serious Grey Warden moment it always feels a little disconcerting.

As I start yet another character, have I mentioned I love this game?

Krall
2009-11-09, 7:25 PM
Going back three pages because this thread moves too fast, am I the only one who thinks the Redcliff/Connor option nobody seems to like is actually the one a true Grey Warden would choose? I believe I can 100% say Duncan would have done it. There is no time to fuck around! You get more of it in Soldier's Peak, but Grey Wardens seem to feel that there is no cost too great. I mean, I realize we do a lot of stupid shit in the game to level up and whatnot, but when there is a serious Grey Warden moment it always feels a little disconcerting.

I agree! There's no time to fuck around, a demon is weakening a town that's potentially in the path of the blight. The quickest most sensible way to slay the demon should be the one immediately chosen!

Yunara
2009-11-09, 7:39 PM
So are there any romance options beyond Morrigan and Leliana? Well, Mantonio is, and Alistair as a girl, but what about everyone else?
There are four romance options

Morrigan, Stupid Elf and Liliana for Male Characters

Alistair, Stupid Elf and Liliana for Female Characters

Navarp
2009-11-09, 7:41 PM
Question about the Fade/Dream/Circle part of the game.

I took Alister and The Bard into the Fade and saw theier dreams, what are Morrigan and Slates dreams?

Windansea
2009-11-09, 8:02 PM
I would totally take the dog into the Fade to see his dream.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 8:05 PM

The tag line for Dragon Age is "not every hero is pure", meaning that sometimes you have to be a heartless fuck head and not help every poor unfortunate soul in order to do what is required.

Duncan floored me when he killed Ser Jory. He didn't have to kill him. He could have let him go. But you go into the Grey Wardens and there is no turning back and they mean it in the most literal sense possible.

Analyzer
2009-11-09, 8:10 PM

The second I realized that I hadn't done this I swore I would do it next playthrough. The dog's dialogue is so good, you have to expect that they would've made sure his dream was awesome.

Jay
2009-11-09, 8:30 PM
Duncan floored me when he killed Ser Jory. He didn't have to kill him. He could have let him go. But you go into the Grey Wardens and there is no turning back and they mean it in the most literal sense possible.

This part owned.

Lapak
2009-11-09, 8:33 PM
This part owned.Indeed. Best part?

He was genuinely sorry.

But he did it anyway.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 8:33 PM
To be fair, killing Ser Jory made sense. Could you imagine the uproar if Jory walked and let out what exactly HAPPENS in the joining? The Witch Hunt would make the hunt for Apostate Mages look like a sunday picnic, I'd bet.

Jay
2009-11-09, 8:44 PM
Indeed. Best part?

He was genuinely sorry.

But he did it anyway.

Fuck yeah.

Like "Aw man I'm sorry. you seemed like a cool dude."
*SPLLCCHHH*

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-09, 8:46 PM
The tag line for Dragon Age is "not every hero is pure", meaning that sometimes you have to be a heartless fuck head and not help every poor unfortunate soul in order to do what is required.

I was like "Oh, here we go, standard Obi-Wan Kenobi archeHOOOOOLEEE SHEEEEIT"

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 8:56 PM
I was like "Oh, here we go, standard Obi-Wan Kenobi archeHOOOOOLEEE SHEEEEIT"

He's like Obi Wan Kenobi if Obi was a a badass dark side wielding climb-on-top-of-a-bantha-and-stab-him-to-death dude who was slowly going mad due to the voices in his head. Also was never an ass who gave subpar training and regularly lost apprentices to the dark side. \m/

Nim
2009-11-09, 9:07 PM
So, a question about the Warden's Keep DLC for anyone who's finished the game.

Does anything else ever happen with Avernus? I agreed to let him leave and continue with his research so long as he didn't go murdering anyone else, but every time I've return to the keep since they haven't heard anything from him.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 9:09 PM
So, a question about the Warden's Keep DLC for anyone who's finished the game.

Does anything else ever happen with Avernus? I agreed to let him leave and continue with his research so long as he didn't go murdering anyone else, but every time I've return to the keep since they haven't heard anything from him.

I'm hoping you have to return to him at certain points in order to further Power of Blood.

Yunara
2009-11-09, 9:09 PM

Regarding Grey Wardens and Joining: It's part of the sacrifice the Grey Wardens need to make. If people find out going through the Joining means at worst you die on the spot, and at best you die in roughly 30 years they will never ever get new recruits. So for them it's an unfortunate necessity to keep that a secret.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 9:12 PM
Regarding Grey Wardens and Joining: It's part of the sacrifice the Grey Wardens need to make. If people find out going through the Joining means at worst you die on the spot, and at best you die in roughly 30 years they will never ever get new recruits. So for them it's an unfortunate necessity to keep that a secret.

Yes. I know that. I've played past that point in the game too, you know :P That's why I said that for recruits, being unable to turn back was literal.

bosskii
2009-11-09, 9:22 PM
The point on which I believe we all agree is that Grey Wardens own?

Windansea
2009-11-09, 9:24 PM
They totally own and I'm glad that they aren't little goody two-shoes either. My "Stately Wayne Manor" camp is amazing.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 9:24 PM
They seriously do.

Angel
2009-11-09, 9:25 PM
My god, the dialogue for when you start gay-flirting with Zevran is delightful.

Kachunkachunk
2009-11-09, 9:28 PM
My name is Duncan and the game was really weird for me in a lot of parts.

karlean7
2009-11-09, 9:31 PM
Disappointed that certain rumors about being able to convince Alistair to give gay sex a go appear to be wrong, mollified by this post and several other things I've read about this game.

Bester
2009-11-09, 9:41 PM
Regarding the part everyone's talking about Jory was warned several times that joining the wardens meant giving up your former life. He seemed way too attached to his family so I knew something was going to happen, but yeah, I was shocked at what actually did happen. But as others said, it makes sense. The only other option would be to only take one recruit to the joining at a time and never tell them what the blood was. Maybe in their minds it's more honorable to give people the option of dying to Duncan's sword rather than taking the taint into them if they are that against it.

Nim
2009-11-09, 9:44 PM
Disappointed that certain rumors about being able to convince Alistair to give gay sex a go appear to be wrong, mollified by this post and several other things I've read about this game.

If I were gay I'd take Zevran in a heartbeat anyway. He's about a thousand times more witty and entertaining than Alistair, who is more of a lovable oaf.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 9:45 PM
Alistair is totally gay anyway.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 9:45 PM
He was sleeping and dreaming. Dreaming within a dream.

The Lazarus
2009-11-09, 9:51 PM
By the way has anyone seen any horses in Dragon Age?

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 9:54 PM
I heard a man talk about a mule once. However, I can neither confirm or deny whether it was real.

Jay
2009-11-09, 9:56 PM
He was sleeping and dreaming. Dreaming within a dream.

Hahahahaaa

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 9:57 PM
Alistair is totally gay anyway.

I honestly ship him with Morrigan when I am playing a male Warden, I won't lie.

On my female dwarf commoner tho, Alistair is all mine. <3

I am both looking forward to and dreading finishing the main story, because as much as I want a happy ending for Alistair and Cifgha, something tells me the odds are increasingly stacking again it what with the King thing and the Warden madness and etc.

Bester
2009-11-09, 9:57 PM
Playing a Dalish Elf, I heard some people commenting about them having very smart horse like creature, but I don't remember seing any.

Jay
2009-11-09, 9:59 PM
So you don't always automatically get the same dog despite your race/whatever?

The Lazarus
2009-11-09, 10:07 PM
Playing a Dalish Elf, I heard some people commenting about them having very smart horse like creature, but I don't remember seing any.
I've seen the Haalas, there's a bunch in the Bercilian forest, and while they mention horses, I've never seen any of those.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 10:08 PM
So you don't always automatically get the same dog despite your race/whatever?
Between Aaron and I, we've done three play-throughs that go up to getting the dog in one form or another. It's always the same dog starting out. Humans just get theirs earlier.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-09, 10:19 PM

I believe someone, specifically the Orlais girl in Denerim talks about how Orlais is filled with the finest horsebacked in this country, I can't remember her exact wording, but something close to that.

Jay
2009-11-09, 10:30 PM
Between Aaron and I, we've done three play-throughs that go up to getting the dog in one form or another. It's always the same dog starting out. Humans just get theirs earlier.

Oh okay. I thought you meant like, if you're a Dalish elf you're going to get one of those white halla deer things or something similar. Or like if you're a mage you get a raven or an owl or some shit.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 10:37 PM
No, the dog is a companion character. You get him in the same manner as everyone else, Nobles excluded. You get the dog through a chain of quests in Ostagar.

Yunara
2009-11-09, 10:40 PM
If I were gay I'd take Zevran in a heartbeat anyway. He's about a thousand times more witty and entertaining than Alistair, who is more of a lovable oaf.

I'm the oposite, Alistair is just to lovable for me not to pick him. Witty is cool, but at the end of the day, I prefer someone who caring and loving than someone witty and slutty.

Jay
2009-11-09, 10:43 PM
Okay, this is pissing me off. I'm going after the werewolves for those Dalish elven folk and I'm in that big temple beyond the mist.

I come to this big chamber where there's an Arcane Horror. Normally I could mop the floor with this bitch, but there are 2 problems: 1, he keeps teleporting around the room, and 2, he keeps spawning these mother fucking skeleton knights. I kill a bunch, but he respawns them, and this plus the horror means my party is FUCKED. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Windansea
2009-11-09, 10:48 PM
I'm the oposite, Alistair is just to lovable for me not to pick him. Witty is cool, but at the end of the day, I prefer someone who caring and loving than someone witty and slutty.

I hope you're a Human Nobel then.

Nim
2009-11-09, 10:58 PM
Ok, I'm a moron. I was getting pissed because Shale seemed like an awful tank. He took damage like a pro, but couldn't hold aggro worth a damge.

Turns out I hadn't noticed he has Taunt and Threaten, doh.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-09, 11:00 PM
Okay, this is pissing me off. I'm going after the werewolves for those Dalish elven folk and I'm in that big temple beyond the mist.

I come to this big chamber where there's an Arcane Horror. Normally I could mop the floor with this bitch, but there are 2 problems: 1, he keeps teleporting around the room, and 2, he keeps spawning these mother fucking skeleton knights. I kill a bunch, but he respawns them, and this plus the horror means my party is FUCKED. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Ranged on the horror, he only teleports when people try to run in and melee him. Everyone else on take out the adds.

Jay
2009-11-09, 11:01 PM
Okay cool. My main is a sword and shield dude, so I've been "Run in and KILL IT" for p. much the entire game.

Rastlin
2009-11-09, 11:02 PM
So I can't decide Champion or Reaver on my Human Noble Warrior two-handed user.

I tend to run with Morrigan, Lel, and Wynne.

Jay
2009-11-09, 11:36 PM
*Fills earthen jug with water*
*places jug on altar*
*kneels and prays*
*takes a sip*
*repeats variations on this process ad nauseum*
*breaks earthen jug*
*lights altar on fire*
I've tried what seems like every possible combination for this. It just seems like a dumb puzzle.

frobbnik
2009-11-09, 11:52 PM
pick it up
fill it
put it on the altar
kneel
take a sip
pick it up
pour it into the puddle

the end

frobbnik
2009-11-09, 11:52 PM
also, hilarious:

"You're surrounded by dead bodies, what happened?"

"ENCHANTMENT"

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-09, 11:53 PM
*Fills earthen jug with water*
*places jug on altar*
*kneels and prays*
*takes a sip*
*repeats variations on this process ad nauseum*
*breaks earthen jug*
*lights altar on fire*
I've tried what seems like every possible combination for this. It just seems like a dumb puzzle.

The quest or the codex spells it out for you in clear detail.

Jay
2009-11-10, 12:14 AM
also, hilarious:

"ENCHANTMENT"

HAHAHAHAA
Please give me the context for this. I have to hear it for myself.

The quest or the codex spells it out for you in clear detail.

Oh yeah, dur. Keep forgetting I have that fucking thing.

Also, the Lady of the forest is hot.

frobbnik
2009-11-10, 12:19 AM
HAHAHAHAA
Please give me the context for this. I have to hear it for myself.
end of the game, on your way to fight the archdemon

Yunara
2009-11-10, 12:25 AM
Ranged on the horror, he only teleports when people try to run in and melee him. Everyone else on take out the adds.

For anyone else trying, there is one other strategy, it involves putting 1 character on each telepad, overloading them all and therefore stopping the teleporting, Unfortunately this strategy will usually involve at least one round of skeles, so the easier route is just give everyone bows/staves and autoattack. You'll kill him before anyone gets hurt really.

frobbnik
2009-11-10, 12:47 AM

this. if you go all staves you can artillery him down and take zero damage, even. caster ranged autoattacks are seriously broken.

Decius
2009-11-10, 12:47 AM

Harrowmat is the good, decent guy, but he will turn out a shitty, weak ruler who not only tries to keep things like they were in the "good old times" but who has no regard for the castless. He also has a religious uprising at his hands if you allowed the Chantry to establish in Orzimmar. He will also die prematurely and there will be another civil war after that.

Bhelen is a real asshole, who tries to frame Harrowmat and who killed your brother and framed you in the Dwarven Noble origin. If you don't chose him he will try to start a rebellion and you need to put him down. However if you chose him he will turn out to be a decent and strong (and ruthless) ruler and he will improve things for the castless. But he will also behave like Palpatine and dissolve the Assembly to rule as a tyrant.

Dwarves can't catch a break in this game.

Swell
2009-11-10, 1:02 AM
Ok, Redcliffe question regarding the evening assault.

Just defeated walking corpse horde at the second location but the game is not cutting to the next event or whatever. Am I supposed to do something else?

Decius
2009-11-10, 1:04 AM
Ok, Redcliffe question regarding the evening assault.

Just defeated walking corpse horde at the second location but the game is not cutting to the next event or whatever. Am I supposed to do something else?

There are probably some enemies still somewhere around. If all are killed you should switch to the next scene.

Swell
2009-11-10, 1:06 AM
Well they keep spawning up top by the first choke point (with the oil burning and what not) but it seems like an infinite spawn.

Bester
2009-11-10, 1:24 AM
Dwarf city spoilers

Yeah, I was really hoping for the option to put the paragon on the throne, if only to screw with them.

GeoGonzo
2009-11-10, 1:26 AM
Sounds like a bug to me. Question about that same quest: Is it possible to save the mayor, the inkeeper and the other npcs at the lower barricade? I just couldn't kill zombies fast enough and was forced to pull my group up the hill when we ran out of potions. To be honest, I wish we could have been defending there from the beginning: the knights were doing just fine up there.

The Lazarus
2009-11-10, 1:34 AM
Well they keep spawning up top by the first choke point (with the oil burning and what not) but it seems like an infinite spawn.
I ran into that problem, but it was because there was a lone zombie just chilling on the docks by the boats. Once I killed him the game continued on.

Decius
2009-11-10, 1:36 AM
Sounds like a bug to me. Question about that same quest: Is it possible to save the mayor, the inkeeper and the other npcs at the lower barricade? I just couldn't kill zombies fast enough and was forced to pull my group up the hill when we ran out of potions. To be honest, I wish we could have been defending there from the beginning: the knights were doing just fine up there.

Yes, you can save them all if you're really good (or have lots of CC) and get a different ending for it. You get also only those people who died named if anyone died in the scene afterwards

Striker
2009-11-10, 1:42 AM

From what I've seen in both of their origins they deserve everything they get. The few decent ones should just move to the surface, Stone be damned :P.

frobbnik
2009-11-10, 2:02 AM
I broke down and bought Warden's Keep after finishing my first playthrough.. 15 minutes, half a dozen stupidly good items. Feh.

Decius
2009-11-10, 2:06 AM
I really enjoyed the fleshing out of the Grey Warden's the DLC did. Also it took me far longer, but that's probably because it was the first thing I did after Lothering.

Also, magic Dr. Strangelove works now for me doing his borderline evil stuff for the greater good Walter Bishop style.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 2:13 AM

My elf rogue just got the achievements for bangin' Zevran and Morrigan. All within 5 minutes of each other.

Yeah I unlocked a prestige class alright. The ASS-assin. woot woot. aww yeah.

Jobrill
2009-11-10, 3:25 AM

You can save them. The easiest way to do it is to have someone with a heal spell in your party. Pause often to check the HP Levels on the militia and heal them. Depending on the difficulty level, it's hard to save them all, but you should at least be able to save Murdock and Tomas.

GeoGonzo
2009-11-10, 4:21 AM
That's pretty awesome, thanks for the answers. I'll have to try harder next time!

Human
2009-11-10, 4:33 AM
Ugh, running around The Fade by myself is so annoying. Even the graphics make me a little queasy.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-10, 4:35 AM
Oh, man, this game gettin' RAUNCHY. I just hit up The Pearl and was all like whuuuuut

Decius
2009-11-10, 5:02 AM
Oh, man, this game gettin' RAUNCHY. I just hit up The Pearl and was all like whuuuuut

If you did the right things and if you're a player you can at least manage a threesome there - even a foursome is apparently possible. :D

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-10, 5:06 AM
fuck yes

I'm going to be a horrid combination of King Arthur, G. Gordon Liddy, and Glen Quagmire.

Krall
2009-11-10, 5:15 AM
fuck yes

I'm going to be a horrid combination of King Arthur, G. Gordon Liddy, and Glen Quagmire.

"Gonna hit that so hard that whomever pulls me out will be the next King of England born... Giggidy."

gamerk2
2009-11-10, 7:36 AM
Yes, you can save them all if you're really good (or have lots of CC) and get a different ending for it. You get also only those people who died named if anyone died in the scene afterwards

I had a hard enough time keeping myself alive, thank you very much.

I clearly need to get a healer at some point...

FearTheKirby
2009-11-10, 7:41 AM
So i'm at the part where the Sloth Demon places me into the fade and so far I have the mouse, burning man, and spirit form. Which part of the fade do I get the final form?

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-10, 7:41 AM
Oh man I don't think I'll have time to get much deeper into this game now that I found a NwN PW worth a hoot. I really like what I've seen so far though. I never played BG1 or BG2 :shy:

Divi Filius
2009-11-10, 7:50 AM
Oh boy, you really should.

Decius
2009-11-10, 7:54 AM
So i'm at the part where the Sloth Demon places me into the fade and so far I have the mouse, burning man, and spirit form. Which part of the fade do I get the final form?

It's non-linear, you can get them (except for mouse) in any order and you have to backtrack to old areas to solve all the areas to get to the demon. Golem Form should be in one of the lower areas of the transport system IIRC

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-10, 8:10 AM
Oh boy, you really should.

Yeah I know :/

hard to find them now though, anyone have any ideas?

Common Sensei
2009-11-10, 8:11 AM

This is one of those spots where I'm looking forward to going back in other playthroughs with different characters. When you have Sten with you for this and you go into his nightmare, I liked how it shows that all Qunari are pretty much dry and sarcastic.

Divi Filius
2009-11-10, 8:11 AM
Amazon is selling the whole shebang on DVD for about $45. I will eventually fork over that money to buy the series for a third time. If you ever do get it, I can recommend like a million mods that will make the game more enjoyable =)

Hambone
2009-11-10, 8:13 AM
The second I realized that I hadn't done this I swore I would do it next playthrough. The dog's dialogue is so good, you have to expect that they would've made sure his dream was awesome.

Its not...
:disgust:

Striker
2009-11-10, 8:13 AM
So...I finally continued in the main storyline rather than trying out other origins and class combos. I went to the party camp ASAP and started chatting with my companions...

Now I know what you were talking about with Morrigan. I don't think it's actually possible to not offend her somehow.

Alymon
2009-11-10, 8:14 AM
Holy crap the Dwarf section and getting to the anvil of the forge is long.

Awesome though.

Divi Filius
2009-11-10, 8:16 AM
Now I know what you were talking about with Morrigan. I don't think it's actually possible to not offend her somehow.Yeah, it's great. She's like my first girlfriend. It takes a little while, but eventually you learn how to talk around a person like that.

Common Sensei
2009-11-10, 8:17 AM
So...I finally continued in the main storyline rather than trying out other origins and class combos. I went to the party camp ASAP and started chatting with my companions...

This is one of the details of the game I really enjoyed. What the party members say when you approach them varies depending on how much they like you. Warmer greetings for warmer feelings.

Striker
2009-11-10, 8:23 AM
Yeah, it's great. She's like my first girlfriend. It takes a little while, but eventually you learn how to talk around a person like that.

She's like my first girlfriend too, hence my sudden impulse to kick her out of the party and run away, leaving the continent if possible :P.

Decius
2009-11-10, 8:49 AM
Now I know what you were talking about with Morrigan. I don't think it's actually possible to not offend her somehow.

You just need to know how to handle her. She simply hates civilization and all the stuff having to do with it. She hates conformity and she hates helping people who could very well help themselves. She hates everything related to the Circle or Templars and all it implies. She doesn't believe in the Maker and is disdainful of anyone who does. She loves shiny things.
She's not really evil or cold hearted, but she doesn't suffer fools lightly. She also never had a single friend before.
However she also ignores the bigger picture, because bitching about helping people who in turn will allow me to use them in my army is stupid.

<- has her in the high Nineties approval

Killjoy
2009-11-10, 9:15 AM
Holy crap the Dwarf section and getting to the anvil of the forge is long.

Awesome though.
This and the Fade section when you rescue the Mages are way too long in my opinion. The reason I say this is because they're both long and repetitious. Short and repetitious is fine. Long and dynamic is also fine. Long and repetitious is bad.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-10, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it's great. She's like my first girlfriend. It takes a little while, but eventually you learn how to talk around a person like that.

Yeah my Dwarf Warrior has already slept with Morrigan she's like 98% in love with me practically.

Windansea
2009-11-10, 11:00 AM
MMM MMMM MMM CANT WAIT TO BE A BLOOD MAGE

POWER OF BLOOD MAGE DOUBLE BLOOD ACTION

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 11:03 AM
I'm interested to know what the other classes get for abilities in Soldier's Peak. The Rogue ones are pretty nice.

Swell
2009-11-10, 11:05 AM
Wait, how'd you get abilities in Soldier's Peak? I ran it but didn't find anything.

Yunara
2009-11-10, 11:06 AM
You just need to know how to handle her. She simply hates civilization and all the stuff having to do with it. She hates conformity and she hates helping people who could very well help themselves. She hates everything related to the Circle or Templars and all it implies. She doesn't believe in the Maker and is disdainful of anyone who does. She loves shiny things.
She's not really evil or cold hearted, but she doesn't suffer fools lightly. She also never had a single friend before.
However she also ignores the bigger picture, because bitching about helping people who in turn will allow me to use them in my army is stupid.

<- has her in the high Nineties approval

Yeah, it's just knowing how to answer her. Unlike most of your other party members, agreeing with her or picking the options that is more or less just smile and nod will actually piss her off. Her conversations ARE landmines though, so I suggest to save before them if you aren't already.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 11:09 AM
Wait, how'd you get abilities in Soldier's Peak? I ran it but didn't find anything.

There's a bigass green jar that says "DRINK ME".

Gideon
2009-11-10, 11:10 AM

It sorta says, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DRINK ME," but you should do it anyway.

Sydney Carton
2009-11-10, 11:11 AM
I'm interested to know what the other classes get for abilities in Soldier's Peak. The Rogue ones are pretty nice.What weirds me out is that as near as I can tell there's no reason to not take the abilities. I took a party filled with blood mage hating goody-two-shoes when I went to the keep and they didn't even react to me drinking the vial. For a game that usually lets you make choices and deal with their consequences it seems oddly out of place.

Anyway yeah, love the ability which removes the stealth movement penalty, cause I spend way too much time stealthed and scouting and positioning myself before a battle.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-10, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking berserker or champion for my d00d.

GeoGonzo
2009-11-10, 11:14 AM
You know, all the companions could really use some thicker skin: They can't take a single joke. This applies to Shale too.

Windansea
2009-11-10, 11:15 AM
Alistair can on occasion, but he's got the emotional fortitude of a wet nap if you try to joke about his personal shit.

Swell
2009-11-10, 11:18 AM

I drank the potion, all but shit happened. do I have to activate it somehow?

Jobrill
2009-11-10, 11:20 AM
I drank the potion, all but shit happened. do I have to activate it somehow?

You might need to read the notes on the floor if you haven't. I drank the potion and got the abilities no problem, but maybe the book is part of the puzzle.

frobbnik
2009-11-10, 11:21 AM
read the book first.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 11:28 AM
does anyone else keep a finger on Tab the entire time playing this game? I MUST KNOW WHERE EVERY CLICKY IS.

Mark Waters
2009-11-10, 11:30 AM
does anyone else keep a finger on Tab the entire time playing this game? I MUST KNOW WHERE EVERY CLICKY IS.

Yeah, it's been a terrible habit since NWN.

Swell
2009-11-10, 11:30 AM
Argh. This is what I get for playing the game when I am tired as hell.

CyanideRush
2009-11-10, 11:31 AM

There isn't an option in the pc version to have all clickies auto highlit?(or sparkle, as it were)

It's either on by default or I turned it on for the 360 version before I started playing.

Angel
2009-11-10, 11:32 AM

OH MY GOD yes.

I kind of wish there was an option to leave it on.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-10, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking berserker or champion for my d00d.

I'm totally going Beserker if anything just cause it seems to be the most Badass.

Jobrill
2009-11-10, 11:33 AM
You can have auto sparklies on, but if you keep tab pressed it adds extra highlighting and floats the object name in the air to make it even easier to spot.

And yeah, as soon as I found out about tab, it was pressed and stays pressed when I am not in combat or conversation.

Sydney Carton
2009-11-10, 11:34 AM
Our WoW group was raiding Mimiron Hard mode last night and I found myself doing this trying to find where he dropped the mines. :(

Who else likes taking Dog into the different areas just to find the trees he can pee on? hehe, pee.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-10, 11:36 AM
I don't keep a finger on tab because I can play through an RPG without impulsively clicking on everything and exhausting the content. I've deliberately passed up two allies and a ton of quests.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-10, 11:37 AM
I know it's bad...but I stabbed Barkspawn (the dog) in the beginning. I know better now but wish I didn't felt bad immediately afterwards.

Angel
2009-11-10, 11:38 AM
I don't keep a finger on tab because I can play through an RPG without impulsively clicking on everything and exhausting the content. I've deliberately passed up two allies and a ton of quests.

I don't have that strength of character.

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-10, 11:40 AM

Yeah except in NwN2 it's fucking z

dane
2009-11-10, 11:44 AM
right, i searched the thread and couldn't see anything about a problem i'm having; i can't take screenshots. At all. The game takes automatic ones fine but no matter what i remap the screenshot key to, it doesn't work.

anyone else had this problem?

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 11:50 AM
There isn't an option in the pc version to have all clickies auto highlit?(or sparkle, as it were)

It's either on by default or I turned it on for the 360 version before I started playing.

Doesn't work for everything. Especially Codex updates.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 11:51 AM

hahahaha

Bester
2009-11-10, 11:51 AM
Are you trying trying to find them in windows explorer, or the in game interface. If you're looking in game, you might have to change one of the options to show player taken shots.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-10, 11:53 AM
right, i searched the thread and couldn't see anything about a problem i'm having; i can't take screenshots. At all. The game takes automatic ones fine but no matter what i remap the screenshot key to, it doesn't work.

anyone else had this problem?

As you play Dragon Age: Origins, the game takes screenshots at many
decision points and other special game moments you encounter during
your play-through of Dragon Age: Origins, such as unlocking an
achievement. This provides you with a unique visual progress of
your experience in Dragon Age: Origins. You can also take
screenshots manually at any time by hitting the PrintScreen key.

That's all I've gotten on google also it might help if you place it in Windowed Mode.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 11:57 AM
Yeah except in NwN2 it's fucking z

POLL: What do you prefer as your "SHOW EVERYTHING" button?

Alt (Diablo)
Tab (Bioware RPGs)
Z (NWN2)

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-10, 12:09 PM
I don't have that strength of character.
I usually roleplay pretty strictly. I have more fun that way. If my character wouldn't be interested in a quest or companion, I'll just pass it up. Plus then when I play the game a second time through I am still experiencing new content.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-10, 12:12 PM
POLL: What do you prefer as your "SHOW EVERYTHING" button?

Alt (Diablo)
Tab (Bioware RPGs)
Z (NWN2)

The "Alt Button" personally I like how I can have my thumb over the alt key while the rest can still reach the numerical and WASD keys.

Lex Senthur
2009-11-10, 12:40 PM
Wasn't Z autoloot in dungeon siege? It's what you do after transmuting everything on your umpteenth trip to the chicken level.

Alymon
2009-11-10, 12:47 PM
You can have auto sparklies on, but if you keep tab pressed it adds extra highlighting and floats the object name in the air to make it even easier to spot.

And yeah, as soon as I found out about tab, it was pressed and stays pressed when I am not in combat or conversation.

On the 360, LT does this too. It brings up the radial menu which pauses the game, but it also then displays text over interactable objects.

Killjoy
2009-11-10, 12:51 PM
I can't do that. I have to be as thorough as possible.

That said, I don't always remember to keep tab held down and I've missed stuff because of it.

Lex Senthur
2009-11-10, 12:57 PM
also, hilarious:

"ENCHANTMENT"
"Never go full retard. :angry:"

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 1:02 PM
If it were up to me, Sandal would be the king of Orzammar.

Windansea
2009-11-10, 1:02 PM
ENCHANTMENT WHEEEE

Jobrill
2009-11-10, 1:06 PM
Sandal would be the awesomest king ever.

Jay
2009-11-10, 1:06 PM
We're having our Fall Festival at school today and somebody wrote up a poster that says the festival is "Enchanting" and I just blurted out "ENCHANTMENT" in Sandral's voice super loud in front of my 1st period.
They've thought I was crazy for a while now but this just sealed the deal.

Jobrill
2009-11-10, 1:09 PM
Haha, that is amazing.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-10, 1:41 PM
'elloooo

Nim
2009-11-10, 1:44 PM
Why are there gifts for Dog? Is it even possible to lose approval with him?

Gideon
2009-11-10, 1:46 PM
They are there because he deserves them. Because he's a good dog.

Nim
2009-11-10, 1:51 PM
I just gave them to Zevran since he's my lowest approval right now. He got two beef bones and a tangled ball of yarn, he was unthrilled.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 1:57 PM
Shale responds better to dog gifts than anyone else, fyi.

Windansea
2009-11-10, 1:57 PM
You give Zevran bars of gold and silver and leather gift items. Try to do so before the Crows show up or he'll betray you.

CyanideRush
2009-11-10, 1:58 PM
I just gave them to Zevran since he's my lowest approval right now. He got two beef bones and a tangled ball of yarn, he was unthrilled.

I thought that Zevran was all about the beef bonin'?

Kachunkachunk
2009-11-10, 2:00 PM
The dog gave me a gross cake. What do I do with it, other than eat it and get diarrhea.

Nim
2009-11-10, 2:01 PM
I thought that Zevran was all about the beef bonin'?

Context.

Bester
2009-11-10, 2:42 PM
The dog gave me a gross cake. What do I do with it, other than eat it and get diarrhea.
Put it in Morrigan's pack. nah, probably doesn't give you that option.

Xyzandra
2009-11-10, 2:55 PM
The wardog is almost as big as my dwarf.

Put it in Morrigan's pack. nah, probably doesn't give you that option.

He does that himself.

The Lazarus
2009-11-10, 3:27 PM
Endgame Morrigan spoiler: So when Morrigan explains her ritual, you can apparently convince Loghain to sleep with her instead...but do they really have to show the "romantic montage" for it? Geeez.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-10, 3:30 PM
Question concerning the order of Redcliffe stuffz:

Okay, I accidentally went to Redcliffe and talked to everyone and accepted quests, etc etc etc, most specifically the Urn of Andastre quest. But I didn't want to actually DO Redcliffe until I finished some other quests first. But when I leave the bad guys from the castle come and drag everyone back to the castle and there's only a scavenger when I come back. I still have my save from when I was in town, and I am wondering if I miss out on something important by leaving and come back, and if the Urn quest is something I definitely ought to do BEFORE I do the Redcliffe quests.

Summation:

1. Should I go ahead and do Redcliffe and come back with Urn after?
2. If I leave and do the Urn, do I miss out on important shit by letting villagers get dragged off?

Jobrill
2009-11-10, 3:32 PM
You can do the urn after you finish the rest of Redcliffe no problem. I can't say if you miss out on anything important, but I suppose you're technically abandoning those people in their hour of need. Also, there's a couple other quests that eventually would require talking to someone in redcliffe who would presumably no longer be there.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-10, 3:33 PM
Thank you!

Alymon
2009-11-10, 3:35 PM
I didn't realize you could abandon them. I guess it makes sense. I just kind of figured I would have to help them if I wanted Arl Eamon's help.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-10, 3:39 PM
Well, when I came back, it didn't say anyone was dead, just that they had been dragged up to the castle. Again, I haven't done it, so I don't know what happens.

Tobiath
2009-11-10, 4:00 PM
There are four romance options

Morrigan, Stupid Elf and Liliana for Male Characters

Alistair, Stupid Elf and Liliana for Female Characters

its possible to have a fourway with leliana, zevran and isabella

Sydney Carton
2009-11-10, 4:13 PM
its possible to have a fourway with leliana, zevran and isabella

Or Alistar/Zevran/isabella, apparently. I think there's some trickery into getting Leli or Alistar to go along with it, but I doubt Zevran puts up much resistance to the idea.

CyanideRush
2009-11-10, 4:17 PM
Maybe I didn't get far enough, but who is Isabella?

Sydney Carton
2009-11-10, 4:20 PM
Maybe I didn't get far enough, but who is Isabella?

An NPC you'll potentially encounter in Denerim. She's not a party member but she's potentially got a few tricks she can teach you if you can impress her.

Lex Senthur
2009-11-10, 4:38 PM
Or Alistar/Zevran/isabella, apparently. I think there's some trickery into getting Leli or Alistar to go along with it, but I doubt Zevran puts up much resistance to the idea.

Achievement Unlocked- High-five Over Her Back: You have too much time on your hands.

The Lazarus
2009-11-10, 4:43 PM
An NPC you'll potentially encounter in Denerim. She's not a party member but she's potentially got a few tricks she can teach you if you can impress her.
I don't remember an Isabella...or is that the Duelist?

Wolfgang
2009-11-10, 4:45 PM
Yep, that's her.

Swell
2009-11-10, 4:51 PM
Where is the duelist? I must have my specialization class unlocked.

Wolfgang
2009-11-10, 4:52 PM
The whorehouse. Though I understand why you may have been preoccupied and missed it.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-10, 4:53 PM

In the Pearl.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-10, 5:39 PM
To get Alistair or Leliana to go in for a foursome, you have to change their personality by telling them something after their personal quest. For Alistair, you have to tell him that everyone is looking out for themselves and he should too, and then reinforce it in the next conversation. For Leliana it's similar but you have to convince her she is still an assassin and can't change. Zevran probably just requires that you have middling approval, ~50ish. He's a manwhore :P

I don't know when you get the option, maybe if you lose the game Isabela makes you play when you want to learn duelist? No idea.

Nim
2009-11-10, 7:56 PM
Holy fuck Ozammar is depressing, it's like the Grapes of Warth if everyone was only four feet tall. The city, the deep roads, the darkspawn everything so miserable. I feel like a need a stiff drink after that leg of the game.

On the other hand I think this is the first fantasy world I've ever see with female dwarves that are actually attractive.

Jay
2009-11-10, 8:44 PM
I can't decide which dwarf king candidate to support. They both sound like underhanded shits.

Human
2009-11-10, 8:48 PM
UNDERHANDED? ANOTHER HUMAN SLUR AGAINST NOBLE DWARFS

Melanchthon
2009-11-10, 8:50 PM
I had to reinstall my game so I decided to just restart my character since I wasn't that far in the first time and I didn't want to risk the saves being corrupted as well. My first four spell points went to getting the basic heal and Cone of Cold, and it makes the early game so much easier.

Yunara
2009-11-10, 8:51 PM

In the Pearl in Deneton or wherever. Also, if you aren't a rogue personally, bring Liliana.

frobbnik
2009-11-10, 8:57 PM
I can't decide which dwarf king candidate to support. They both sound like underhanded shits.

that's because they're both underhanded shits

Nim
2009-11-10, 9:00 PM
Cone of Cold

I kinda wonder if this spell is broken. It says that the target gets a physical resistance check to avoid being frozen, but I've almost never had it fail to freeze someone.

Nim
2009-11-10, 9:01 PM

One is a better person and one will make a better king, but they're both shits so no helping that.

Windansea
2009-11-10, 9:07 PM
One is a better person and one will make a better king, but they're both shits so no helping that.

Regarding this, I read that the underhanded guy was better because he knew politics better and if you chose the nice guy, things go even further south. True?

Nim
2009-11-10, 9:30 PM
Regarding this, I read that the underhanded guy was better because he knew politics better and if you chose the nice guy, things go even further south. True?

My understanding is that Bhelen will bring some of the change the city needs, like incorporating the castless and dissolving the indecisive assembly, but he's also a tyrant. Harrowmont on the other hand is a kinder king, but he allows Ozammar to stagnate even more and things end up back on the brink of civil war.

Jay
2009-11-10, 11:27 PM
Man that fucking sucks. They should let me be king. Or that drunk dwarf in the pub.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-11, 12:02 AM

Sandal.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-11, 12:03 AM
I kinda wonder if this spell is broken. It says that the target gets a physical resistance check to avoid being frozen, but I've almost never had it fail to freeze someone.

I've had it fail vs dragons before. Other than that the sky is the fucking limit.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-11, 12:05 AM
Sandal.

All hail the Downs Dwarf, may he reign supreme

Tobiath
2009-11-11, 2:15 AM
Sandal is the most moral dwarf in this game.

Also, play through the dwarf noble origin to see which of the two candidates are total shitfucks.

edit: and i've been walking around with Shale and did the personal quest. This puts a whole new spin on things.

Decius
2009-11-11, 2:52 AM

It's a descision between pest and cholera:

Bhelen is a shithead: framing, killing, stealing, bribing and using you. He a complete asshole and will rule with an iron fist (and dissolve the Assembly, thus ending the elective monarchy). However he will rule pretty well and do good things for the castless.
Harrowmat is a relatively honest guy, but what Bhelen says about him is true: he is weak and he will be a weak ruler. Under him Orzimmar will become even shittier and another civil war will happen. And a religious uprising.

As I said a few pages ago: Dwarves can't catch a break.

nekodeev
2009-11-11, 5:47 AM
Haha, I won redcliffe, though I was expecting a bit more closure after all that I took the safe summoning way, then bargained with the demon for BLOOOOOOD MAGGGIIIC (since the pleasure option was crap) and no-one was the wiser that I was up to anything. I'll have to take it as my second specialization, but oh well.
Also mage in general owns super-hard.

Striker
2009-11-11, 7:13 AM
Question about game mechanics...how important is your Cunning stat for coercion? Can I get away with low Cunning and a full Coercion skill and still get access to those nifty persuasion options?

The thing is, I think I'll go back to a mage character (shouldn't take too long to get back to where I am with the rogue), but stats are looking tricky. I'll need high magic and willpower, obviously, but Cunning might have to be a priority too...

Decius
2009-11-11, 7:47 AM
Never had a problem to Persuade people with low Cunning as Mage as long as I had high Coercion.

Alymon
2009-11-11, 7:59 AM
It's a descision between pest and cholera:

Bhelen is a shithead: framing, killing, stealing, bribing and using you. He a complete asshole and will rule with an iron fist (and dissolve the Assembly, thus ending the elective monarchy). However he will rule pretty well and do good things for the castless.
Harrowmat is a relatively honest guy, but what Bhelen says about him is true: he is weak and he will be a weak ruler. Under him Orzimmar will become even shittier and another civil war will happen. And a religious uprising.

As I said a few pages ago: Dwarves can't catch a break.

For Harrowmont!

Jay
2009-11-11, 9:37 AM
Yeah I'm going for Harrowmont. With Bhenlen, it seems too much like shit would eventually turn sour with no hope. Harrowmont may be weak and another civil war may start up LATER, but by then hopefully the Blight won't be a problem and the dwarves will have better chances of getting their shit together, instead of being trapped under the thumb of a tyrannical shitface.

Matt
2009-11-11, 9:41 AM
Sandal.

Enchantment?

Sandal is my favorite character by far with his dad being my second favorite. I guess that says a lot about my opinion of the other characters.

Anyway spoilery question can someone who has beaten the game tell me approximately how much playtime I have left to go on the main storyline? Here's what I've done so far I've gathered up all of the different armies as far as I can tell and woken up Arl Eamon who has called the Landsmeet

Striker
2009-11-11, 9:52 AM
Yeah I'm going for Harrowmont. With Bhenlen, it seems too much like shit would eventually turn sour with no hope. Harrowmont may be weak and another civil war may start up LATER, but by then hopefully the Blight won't be a problem and the dwarves will have better chances of getting their shit together, instead of being trapped under the thumb of a tyrannical shitface.

From a more cynical long-term point of view...the longer the current system i.e. Harrowmont) remains in place, the more disenfranchised dwarves will head to the surface, building up communities and eventually forcing recognition from a position of strength.

Alymon
2009-11-11, 9:55 AM

To be honest, I just went with Harrowmont because it seemed like Bhelan was just an asshole. Plus, it kind of reminded me of Gladiator (the movie).
Marcus Aurelius wants someone other than his son to be emperor, so his son kills him so he can claim the throne.

I immediately associated Bhelan with Commodus and couldn't support him. Harrowmont is no Maximus, but I had to support him.

Jobrill
2009-11-11, 10:22 AM
Man, I dunno, The whole Dwarven Politics thing was painful, doubly so since I was playing the Dwarf Commoner and thus kept getting stuff from my past bought up, but what really got me was some of the stuff you find out in the Deep Roads.

Golems? created by giving living dwarves, not all of them volunteers, a hot molten metal bath, then shaping them into golems while they're still lucid and writhing in pain.

Darkspawn? birthed by giant malformed brood mothers who themselves are dwarven, human, elf, and quinari women who have been captured and tortured beyond all tolerance until they either die or turn into giant tentacled abominations who spit out thousands of new darkspawn.

Striker
2009-11-11, 10:30 AM
To be honest, I just went with Harrowmont because it seemed like Bhelan was just an asshole. Plus, it kind of reminded me of Gladiator (the movie).
Marcus Aurelius wants someone other than his son to be emperor, so his son kills him so he can claim the throne.

I immediately associated Bhelan with Commodus and couldn't support him. Harrowmont is no Maximus, but I had to support him.

Harrowmont looks like Pertinax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertinax) to me, actually :P.

Alymon
2009-11-11, 10:31 AM
Man, I dunno, The whole Dwarven Politics thing was painful, doubly so since I was playing the Dwarf Commoner and thus kept getting stuff from my past bought up, but what really got me was some of the stuff you find out in the Deep Roads.

Golems? created by giving living dwarves, not all of them volunteers, a hot molten metal bath, then shaping them into golems while they're still lucid and writhing in pain.

Darkspawn? birthed by giant malformed brood mothers who themselves are dwarven, human, elf, and quinari women who have been captured and tortured beyond all tolerance until they either die or turn into giant tentacled abominations who spit out thousands of new darkspawn.

I didn't take it to mean all golems. I took it to mean the "super invincible golems" that were forged on the anvil. I made a distinction between run of the mill dime a dozen golems and the paragon type golem.

Jobrill
2009-11-11, 10:33 AM
No, Caridan specifically said that you cannot make new life from nothing. There are no "normal" vs. "Elite" Golems. Every single Golem was created using the Anvil of the Void and a living dwarf.

Alymon
2009-11-11, 10:34 AM
Harrowmont looks like Pertinax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertinax) to me, actually :P.

:eng101: I see.

No, Caridan specifically said that you cannot make new life from nothing. There are no "normal" vs. "Elite" Golems. Every single Golem was created using the Anvil of the Void and a living dwarf.

You're ruining my world!!!! :cry: :whistling

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-11, 10:47 AM
Haha, I won redcliffe, though I was expecting a bit more closure after all that I took the safe summoning way, then bargained with the demon for BLOOOOOOD MAGGGIIIC (since the pleasure option was crap) and no-one was the wiser that I was up to anything. I'll have to take it as my second specialization, but oh well.
Also mage in general owns super-hard.

My next playthrough will have to be a mage then. I always had to take an NPC there instead and didn't get those options.

Windansea
2009-11-11, 10:50 AM

And Shale becomes my favorite party member.

Jobrill
2009-11-11, 10:54 AM
And Shale becomes my favorite party member.

Yeah, beyond the heartwarming part, talking with him after the fact as a Dwarf Commoner and making jokes about girl talk and stuff was priceless.

GeoGonzo
2009-11-11, 10:54 AM
Asking for spoilers: How would Alistair feel about siding with the Templars at the mage tower and the whole "kill every single mage" thing? Who would be happy with such a decision? (other than Morrigan, the dog and... maybe Shale?)

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-11, 10:59 AM
Since we're talking dwarf related spoilers, the coming and going of archdemons means nothing to the dwarves besides occasional respite when the darkspawn horde all go upstairs for a bit. On my way out of Orzammar I ran into a legion of the dead guy who told me how grateful they were to have time to regroup and promised to give the horde a "proper welcome home" when I kill the archdemon. There was a persuasion option to get them all up to the final battle with me but I didn't have the heart.

Basically the wardens are surface obsessed jerks and need to spend more time in the deep roads rather than treating it like a retirement home for old farts.

Alymon
2009-11-11, 11:05 AM
Since we're talking dwarf related spoilers, the coming and going of archdemons means nothing to the dwarves besides occasional respite when the darkspawn horde all go upstairs for a bit. On my way out of Orzammar I ran into a legion of the dead guy who told me how grateful they were to have time to regroup and promised to give the horde a "proper welcome home" when I kill the archdemon. There was a persuasion option to get them all up to the final battle with me but I didn't have the heart.

Basically the wardens are surface obsessed jerks and need to spend more time in the deep roads rather than treating it like a retirement home for old farts.

I convinced him to join for the battle. I'm looking at it from the perspective of "I will be the Grey Warden to end the blight forever."

Jobrill
2009-11-11, 11:06 AM

Yeah, I thought that myself, and sort of wonder why Wardens apparently are so dead set on staying on the surface when the real fight is so obviously below. Maybe the Taint would drive them mad if they stayed down there too long? Although interestingly enough That guy actually straight up volunteered to come join me on the surface for the battle. I wonder if it's because I'm a dwarf, or something I said at some point when I talked to him in the Deep Roads.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-11, 11:12 AM
Is there anyway to bone

(Dalish Elves (not the origin) spoilers)

The Lady of the Forest? Because god damn. I was all ready to rip the heart out of some werewolves until I met this blushing bride and blood started rushing to my penis.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-11, 11:13 AM
Asking for spoilers: How would Alistair feel about siding with the Templars at the mage tower and the whole "kill every single mage" thing? Who would be happy with such a decision? (other than Morrigan, the dog and... maybe Shale?)
Spoilers for the Mage tower:

I haven't done that, but I think he would be disturbed. He definitely sympathizes with templars but he's not a fanatic like Cullen. He's also one of the most morally good NPCs in the game, up there with Wynne and Leliana, so I don't think wholesale slaughter "just in case" is going to go over well.

If you really want to go that route, try Sten, Dog, or Shale. Zevran might not give a shit either (he does sometimes though, but I've noticed his morals are very resolute only when the situation affects him, ie elf rights are important to him but killing mages probably isn't because, well, he murders for money). I think you are gravely mistaken about Morrigan being okay with this because of her enormous hate-on for the Chantry and Templars specifically. She is very pro-mage. Don't take her if you want to do the "evil" thing here.

Honestly, I really like the variety in the Templars in this game. It's not all "OMG, poor mages, evil templars!" You have some mages who, yeah, are persecuted by templars. You have templars who are crazy and kill hungry. But you have psycho blood mages and (minor endgame spoiler for the Alienage in Denerim) a templar who gives his life to root out demons from an oppressed ghetto nobody else in society gives a fuck about. So it isn't ever mages=good, religion=bad or even the other way round.

I convinced him to join for the battle. I'm looking at it from the perspective of "I will be the Grey Warden to end the blight forever."

You aren't though. The darkspawn are more numerous than you personally can eradicate, there is some other place I hear talk of on the surface called the "blightlands" wherever that is, and there is a lot more to the deep roads than you ever see in game. Plus, each Blight proper is marked by the emergence of an old god corrupted into an archdemon, and I believe there are seven (I could be wrong, there might be more). We witness blight number 5. It isn't remotely over. Maybe your warden thinks he is, but my warden felt bad about letting routed darkspawn escape back into the Deep Roads unchallenged.

Alymon
2009-11-11, 11:16 AM
You aren't though. The darkspawn are more numerous than you personally can eradicate, there is some other place I hear talk of on the surface called the "blightlands" wherever that is, and there is a lot more to the deep roads than you ever see in game. Plus, each Blight proper is marked by the emergence of an old god corrupted into an archdemon, and I believe there are seven (I could be wrong, there might be more). We witness blight number 5. It isn't remotely over. Maybe your warden thinks he is, but my warden felt bad about letting routed darkspawn escape back into the Deep Roads unchallenged.

Well then, your warden just isn't as dedicated as my warden. There, I said it. :smug:

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-11, 11:19 AM
What I'm sayin is she gives me wood. :smug:

Matt
2009-11-11, 11:21 AM
What I'm sayin is she gives me wood. :smug:

Hehehe yeah she has nice boobies

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-11, 11:23 AM
my army is gonna be fucked up by the time I get done with this playthrough. Damn.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-11, 11:27 AM
Well then, your warden just isn't as dedicated as my warden. There, I said it. :smug:
This comeback features end battle spoilers! Have fun with the final fight against the archdemon http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/bobsmyuncle/Smileys/emot-allears.gif. We'll see who does their duty as a Warden.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-11, 11:41 AM
Don't read any of this spoiler unless you've beaten the game.

Speaking of the ending, has anyone else beaten the game? Partway through I quit going out of my way for sidequests because I was antsy to see the end. I'm not really a "dark fantasy" fan, I've heard conflicting opinions on the quality of the Song of Ice and Fire series so I passed on it, so since I was unused to the genre the end of this game was pretty jarring because it's so different than the Bioware I'm used to. There is no happy ending, really. Depends on who you pair up with I guess, but for Female PC and Alistair you can have temporary happiness if you do something incredibly reckless and selfish, or you can do the right thing at personal expense. If you are Male PC going after Morrigan there is no way to end up happily ever after. I think your only choice for your warden's personal happiness is to romance Zevran or Leliana and throw Alistair under the bus.

So over in the SA thread someone mentioned Malazan Book of the Fallen, if you liked DA, which is supposed to be of fairly consistent quality and well done. I can get the first three books on Amazon fairly cheap (~30 bucks), is it worth going further in anyone here's opinion?

Kinslayer
2009-11-11, 12:19 PM
To get Alistair or Leliana to go in for a foursome, you have to change their personality by telling them something after their personal quest.

Is this the case for ALL characters? Which characters can be given a personality change based on your actions?

Killjoy
2009-11-11, 12:50 PM
I've heard conflicting opinions on the quality of the Song of Ice and Fire series so I passed on it
A mistake, in my opinion. It's awesome. Fantastic characters and story.