PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age looks so retarded

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Windansea
2009-11-08, 12:35 AM
I went through the Mage origin and saved before the quest with Jowan. I played through without outing him to Irving at all and boy was Gregor pissed. I am going to load and play through again and see if the dialog is any different if I take Irving's quest and betray Jowan.

Weirdly I would've thought Morrigan as the more likely choice for female romance.

I am legitimately upset over this.

Melanchthon
2009-11-08, 12:36 AM
I went through the Mage origin and saved before the quest with Jowan. I played through without outing him to Irving at all and boy was Gregor pissed. I am going to load and play through again and see if the dialog is any different if I take Irving's quest and betray Jowan.
Gregoir is never not pissed. Ever.

e: I did pretty much the same thing you did, and ended up feeling like they cut some corners on dialogue. Gregoir has exactly the same lines, the only thing that changes is both Irving and Duncan argue your side instead of just Duncan.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 12:39 AM
Gregoir is never not pissed. Ever.

e: I did pretty much the same thing you did, and ended up feeling like they cut some corners on dialogue. Gregoir has exactly the same lines, the only thing that changes is both Irving and Duncan argue your side instead of just Duncan.

Then I hope I get to kill his fucking ass when I turn into a blood mage because whoamygodIshouldhavenamedmyselfKataratimetobloodbendsomebitches

Melanchthon
2009-11-08, 12:41 AM
That whole quest just pissed me off for Lily's sake. I mean way to fuck over someone who did nothing wrong but stand by their love, game.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 12:42 AM
There was no way I was just going to betray Jowan when they wanted to turn him into a Tranquil. My character is very anti-tranquil, because well, they are creepy and I hate them. Blood mage or not, no one deserves that shit.

Nim
2009-11-08, 12:48 AM
There was no way I was just going to betray Jowan when they wanted to turn him into a Tranquil. My character is very anti-tranquil, because well, they are creepy and I hate them. Blood mage or not, no one deserves that shit.

Well, they do have the option of death if it doesn't appeal to them.

Yunara
2009-11-08, 12:54 AM
The vast majority of people aren't gay in real life either.

This is a game. I don't see why there's any reason to not program in options for all the romantic options. It just would be nice to have more than 1 choice for a romance, because apparently the flaming elf is my only option.

This game isn't about real life, and besides, Bioware already mentioned that homosexuality is just unusual in this setting, not frowned upon or anything, and I believe they mention that those from Orleans just consider it a personality quirk.

Yunara
2009-11-08, 12:57 AM

Jowan came off as a whiny bitch from the first time I met him, so when he asked me to risk my neck to help him, I was not inclined at all. I was considering trying to option of just refusing to help, but i was curious, so I tried the casually mention Jowan's lack of Harrowing method, but that just got me roped into agreeing to trick the both of them. I felt bad for Lily, but not in the least for Jowan.

The Dude
2009-11-08, 12:59 AM
The (male) gay option was cut from Mass Effect entirely due to deadlines and stuff, so it's nice they were able to get something for everyone in this game. Doing the additional content to make everyone in the game bisexual and fuckable would just be a waste of otherwise valuable time that could be spent on more important parts of the game.

I mean really it seems a bit silly to complain about something like this when Bioware's "romance" is always hamfisted and kind of embarrassing anyways, you're not missing out on much.

Tortuga Baņana
This is a game. I don't see why there's any reason to not program in options for all the romantic options. It just would be nice to have more than 1 choice for a romance, because apparently the flaming elf is my only option.

There are only 4 romances in the game total, including the bisexual characters. I mean, yes heterosexual characters have 1 extra option, but it's not like there's 4 straight options to each gay one.

Decius
Okay games really need more genre savvy characters in them. Anyone who didn't see that shit coming from Teyrn Loghain shouldn't have survived toddlerhood.

If you don't have the Persuade option to get him out of his tent you don't even see him before the fight, do you? Or is he in the scene of the war council? But yes, the really, really telegraphs "evil fuck". But wait until later in the game, he still has an interesting story later on

You can really do some really evil things in the game. Like Sacrificing Isolde in Redcliff to get into the Fade, bargain with the Demon to get Blood Magic and give Connor to the Demon to possess again when everything has blown over. Too bad I always have a hard time to play the evil asshole in such games.

It's also a bit odd that you kill about 50 Templar to get the blood in the Mage origin story and simply have to say "I'm sorry" to get out of jail. You just murdered a lot of people to help a Blood Mage. A life is worth nothing in Ferelden. The Dwarf commoner origin and City Elf origin at least has Duncan save you, but the Mages/Templar didn't intend to kill you if I remember correctly.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 1:01 AM
Jowan came off as a whiny bitch from the first time I met him, so when he asked me to risk my neck to help him, I was not inclined at all. I was considering trying to option of just refusing to help, but i was curious, so I tried the casually mention Jowan's lack of Harrowing method, but that just got me roped into agreeing to trick the both of them. I felt bad for Lily, but not in the least for Jowan.

You got roped into it? Did you forget how to save before speaking to quest NPCs? :P

Jay
2009-11-08, 1:49 AM
My best attempts so far involved (I think) cheesing the encounter slightly. If you run up the stairs right away, the "pull you across the courtyard move" seems to fail or at most just pulls you a few feet to the side of the stairs. Then I wale on the archers and try to fight all of the goddamned zombies before the revenant destroys me.

My best try so far ended with everybody dead except the revenant who had like 75% health.

Have you tried opening the castle gate to let the knights in to join you?

Divi Filius
2009-11-08, 1:53 AM

This game isn't about real life, and besides, Bioware already mentioned that homosexuality is just unusual in this setting, not frowned upon or anything, and I believe they mention that those from Orleans just consider it a personality quirk.
Well, considering that just 9 years ago you didn't get any gay romances (in fact, Bioware basically said "Fuck off, homos. This isn't sicko land.") I don't really get your complaint.
Yeah, this. I only boned it once on this encounter. My second run through I just flipped the switch and let the knights take the brunt of it.

Talkinsquirrel
2009-11-08, 1:55 AM
Ya. I kind of felt really stupid dying on that encounter so many times then after I finally beat it, I see the lever to open the gate and the knights come rushing in.

boogada
2009-11-08, 3:22 AM
About Morrigan romance: You get a pretty good indication of why she wouldn't possibly be interested in another woman later on, and it's somewhat...unsettling. :ermm:

Skeletor
2009-11-08, 4:10 AM
I wish I could return to the Korcari wilds. I didn't do that little quest involving Gazareth and now I can't go back for some reason, though I can still visit the completely useless Flemeth's Hut.

bosskii
2009-11-08, 4:33 AM
I have to admit, opening a fight where I get stunned until I'm dead without being able to even use a potion is getting pretty fucking annoying.

Trax
2009-11-08, 4:36 AM
How much affection to Gifts give you with a person, because at the rate that Morrigan disapproves of me being a nice she's going to bust a blood vessel from Mage Rage.

bosskii
2009-11-08, 4:40 AM
It varies by gift type and gift-giving frequency.

Rook
2009-11-08, 5:43 AM
Alastair has some mad haterade goin' on due to me playing pokemon with recruitable characters. He gets real pissed when I bring some scrub on the team.

The Lazarus
2009-11-08, 5:53 AM
I'm really loving that bit near the endgame when you get tossed in jail, going through and seeing all the different ways and combinations you can escape. It's pretty awesome.

Nim
2009-11-08, 7:20 AM
OMG, OMG!

If you click on the little tab on the right side of your Action bar you can pull it out and create like twnety more slots. This makes like about a thousand times easier!

Necrosaro
2009-11-08, 7:31 AM
OMG, OMG!

If you click on the little tab on the right side of your Action bar you can pull it out and create like twnety more slots. This makes like about a thousand times easier!

Well of course you can. It is the PC version! Not like those poor suckers who bought the console versions. Laugh at them! :lol: HAHAHAHAH! :lol:

Nim
2009-11-08, 7:45 AM
Well of course you can. It is the PC version! Not like those poor suckers who bought the console versions. Laugh at them! :lol: HAHAHAHAH! :lol:

How many action button are there on the console version?

Necrosaro
2009-11-08, 8:05 AM
How many action button are there on the console version?

They get radial menu and two sets of three mapped action buttons. Watch this video to see.

UXtVSl1n_Mk

They also can't zoom out!

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-08, 8:32 AM
I'm still having fun.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-08, 8:55 AM

well that will certainly help.

PrinceAli
2009-11-08, 9:09 AM
So I'm playing an Elf Rogue and I was going to play him as a stealthy archer type. But since that type of character seems to really suck in this game, I don't know what to do with him now. I'm a level 7. Is there time to turn him into a successful duel-wielder or does this character need to be scrapped?

Decius
2009-11-08, 9:35 AM
You can easily turn him into a dual-wielder. Sure, you wasted a few points, but you still get a lot of them. If you get a really good weapon you might even stay Archer. I use Leliana as Archer, and while her damage isn't incredible she at least stays out of the way (needing less healing) and does reliable damage. And the next patch is supposed to improve ranged damage too.

Archangel3d
2009-11-08, 9:54 AM
At the moment, Ranged is more of a "Debuff" class than a high damage class. It's reliable, stays out of the way, and can lay down some nice pin/armor break/weaken states on the enemy. Plus I'm working my way to the ranged AoE Stun (with no friendly fire!).

Jay
2009-11-08, 9:55 AM
well that will certainly help.

:eng101:

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-08, 9:57 AM
one thing that actually seems pretty useless is stealth. The ability to stealth while in combat seems pretty cool, but that's far down the stealth tree. I've never really seen any opportunity to use stealth so far.

Jarp Habib
2009-11-08, 10:56 AM
My best attempts so far involved (I think) cheesing the encounter slightly. If you run up the stairs right away, the "pull you across the courtyard move" seems to fail or at most just pulls you a few feet to the side of the stairs. Then I wale on the archers and try to fight all of the goddamned zombies before the revenant destroys me.

My best try so far ended with everybody dead except the revenant who had like 75% health.

The only way I've been able to kill these things has been through entire wheels of cheese. Whatever the party makeup, I've never been able to kill one of those things in a straight-up fight. To kill it requires all four members alive, two providing ranged/magical support, and two beaters. One fighter takes the direct attacks until his health gets low, then switches off with the 2nd while the 1st runs and heals up. And that's only after all the support minions are dead. With the other skels in the equation, it's outright impossible. They're strong enough to stand up to your party well enough 1-on-1, which mean that more than one of your dudes is taking damage at a time, which means the big one can instantly kill all of you.

You've got to draw off all the skels 1 by 1 and kill them alone, so you can focus on the revenant alone. Best way is to trigger the summons, and FLEE in the opposite direction. Whichever of your dudes that gets pulled becomes the sacrificial lamb, so try to position one of your fighters to take it. He'll take the first big hit and should have enough life to limp away in another direction from your party and put enough separation between the two groups before he dies. When he dies with your party off the radar, the skels will return to their spawn point, and you can have your mage or bowman draw one or two off from extreme range till it's just the revenant left. Then you have a decent chance.

boogada
2009-11-08, 11:10 AM
So I'm playing an Elf Rogue and I was going to play him as a stealthy archer type. But since that type of character seems to really suck in this game, I don't know what to do with him now. I'm a level 7. Is there time to turn him into a successful duel-wielder or does this character need to be scrapped?

I beat the game fine on normal with a rogue archer, in fact having ranged attacks will make the last boss that much easier.

Talkinsquirrel
2009-11-08, 11:22 AM
one thing that actually seems pretty useless is stealth. The ability to stealth while in combat seems pretty cool, but that's far down the stealth tree. I've never really seen any opportunity to use stealth so far.

Really? I use stealth all the time to scout and if I see a group of mobs together, throw a bomb at them to weaken them and set a trap for them to run through as I lead em back to the group.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-08, 11:23 AM
I don't have trap making so maybe that's why.

Archangel3d
2009-11-08, 11:33 AM

Stealth works well for scouting, and laying traps (once you get rank 2 which allows you to use items while stealthed). Also, it's saved my bacon a bunch of times where there was a hall of traps before an encounter with ranged/caster types. Stealthed up, disabled each trap, stealthed next to the enemy caster. My warriors charge down the hall (shield guy first, with the anti-arrow defense mode up) and the stealther "saps" the magic user with Dirty Tricks, interrupting the incoming Fireball.

Archangel3d
2009-11-08, 11:38 AM
Also:

Earthquake:
Pro: Awesome for large packs of melee, ambushes, and against ranged around corners. You can drop it even if you don't have direct line of sight. Drop it so that only one or two guys actually make it past, kill them quickly while everyone else is doing the three stooges impersonation.

Con: Once a lot of people are within range of your guys, it becomes rather useless. Also the area of effect is friggin huge. Do not use against enemies that can pull you to them.

Tip: Only affects the "height" at the epicenter. Does not work well on stairs. Use to your advantage; drop it on a higher rise/platform where the archers are, and even if your melee are within range, they are below the effect and won't get knocked down.

Lapak
2009-11-08, 11:44 AM
So I'm playing an Elf Rogue and I was going to play him as a stealthy archer type. But since that type of character seems to really suck in this game, I don't know what to do with him now. I'm a level 7. Is there time to turn him into a successful duel-wielder or does this character need to be scrapped?Ranged attacks don't seem quite as bad to me as people make them out to be, though I'm only just past Ostegar. Regardless, starting off each combat with a full-party volley seems to make a significant difference in a lot of fights where you start at range - I often downed at least one enemy of my choice before the enemy closed to melee range. So I certainly like ranged weapons for that.

boogada
2009-11-08, 11:52 AM
Anyone else try out the ranger animal summons? Because they're really quite useful, having a disposable 5th party member. At level 16 Alister had maybe 250ish hp, the bear had over 400hp, and all 3 of them do respectable amounts of damage.

Jay
2009-11-08, 12:12 PM
Holy FUCK
you do NOT want to fight Flemeth

Brondolfr
2009-11-08, 1:00 PM
For people having problems with the revenant, I noticed that his attack procs a cold effect. If you chug some ice balms on who ever you have tanking him he does far less damage, I easily killed him after that.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-08, 1:00 PM
Holy FUCK

#1 - A little bit better spoiler warnings are helpful. Some people have played part of the game, and don't mind being spoiled, but just random spoilers is not very helpful.

#2 - Yes.

Decius
2009-11-08, 2:15 PM
Holy FUCK

Two Mages and Shale as tank and it was pretty easy. +Fire Resist is great, just like you would have fought Onyxia in ye olden days :D. Also Shale is perfect against dragons because they can't pick it up, only do a knockback. I had a lot, lot more troubles with the random Reveant (or whatever they're called) I found in the Dwarven City.

NVB
2009-11-08, 2:30 PM
Well, just finished it. Fuck the Morrigan romance. The rest of it was p. cool though. Allister is going to be a boss king, even if he did let the capitol get trashed. On another note, serioulsly fuck the morrigan romance, what a bitch.

Decius
2009-11-08, 2:36 PM
Well, just finished it. Fuck the Morrigan romance. The rest of it was p. cool though. Allister is going to be a boss king, even if he did let the capitol get trashed. On another note, serioulsly fuck the morrigan romance, what a bitch.

Personally I would have prefered if the whole thing with being a Grey Warden was handled like the Blackwatch in ASoIaF (after which it's clearly modeled): You enter, you have given up all your former ranks and heritage rights*. They have princes and heirs to houses (or most of the time second or third sons) serving together with convicts and former city guard commanders and knights

*although a certain would-be-king would have granted a certain bastard son an annullment from the rule for his support

Tobiath
2009-11-08, 2:45 PM
I liked Leliana better than Morrigan, anyway And its really really awesome when she sings to you

Necrosaro
2009-11-08, 2:51 PM
The Glyph line of spells for a mage is amazing for crowd control. Repulsion keeps guys off my mage long enough to deal with them. Or if a large group is coming I drop the Repulsion rune and drop the paralyzing rune on top of it causing them both to explode and paralyze everything in a wide area for a long while. Rune of warding is great too. I did not acquire the last glyph yet.

Bloodstain
2009-11-08, 2:55 PM

What happened with the Morrigan romance? Did they pull a "Crying Game" on us?

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 3:20 PM
I had a lot, lot more troubles with the random Reveant (or whatever they're called) I found in the Dwarven City.

All revenants must fucking die.

Striker
2009-11-08, 3:21 PM
Okay games really need more genre savvy characters in them. Anyone who didn't see that shit coming from Teyrn Loghain shouldn't have survived toddlerhood.

Also, the betrayals from Lord Howe in the noble human prologue and your other brother in the dwarf noble prologue. WAY too easy to spot, and it's kinda annoying that you can't foil them somehow.

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 3:22 PM
also, all loading screens must die. 12gb of memory and a nehalem 940 and the transition from Andraste's temple to the mountain took literally five minutes. WTF, Bioware?

Windansea
2009-11-08, 3:24 PM
Has anyone put the game on their HDD? I wonder how the loading is then in comparison.

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 3:26 PM
this is a steam copy. the disks are 10K RPM raptors to boot.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 3:30 PM
Ah okay. I haven't seen many loading issues on my Xbox copy, which is why I asked about putting the game on the Xbox HDD.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-08, 3:30 PM
also, all loading screens must die. 12gb of memory and a nehalem 940 and the transition from Andraste's temple to the mountain took literally five minutes. WTF, Bioware?

man I've never had a loading screen last more than, like, 30 seconds max. They usually last 5-20 seconds.

AKBoarder
2009-11-08, 3:38 PM
Ah okay. I haven't seen many loading issues on my Xbox copy, which is why I asked about putting the game on the Xbox HDD.

I did, it loads super quick.

ZSquared
2009-11-08, 3:38 PM
this is a steam copy. the disks are 10K RPM raptors to boot.

Have you used the steam defragment cache tool? That may help things.

Common Sensei
2009-11-08, 3:39 PM
Dexterity Hotfix which should boost Rogues a little.

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-08, 3:42 PM

I would not get that hotfix unless you want to be torn to shreds by enemy archers.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-08, 3:59 PM
Hahaha, the dialogue in this game. Shale and Zevran were talking and in response to a jibe from Zevran, Shale says it's impossible for him to win the affection of another golem because golems are slaves to whoever holds their control rod. Zevran says "Funny, it works the same for us as well." :groucho:

Seriously, the party banter is great.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 4:00 PM
I've been looking around and I've been unable to formulate a complete list... can someone tell me the specific instances in which companions will leave your party? I only know of one so far: Alistair will leave if you invite Lohgain into your party

Sprint
2009-11-08, 4:07 PM

I would not get that hotfix unless you want to be torn to shreds by enemy archers.

This hotfix applies to all creatures in the game, not just the party members (http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/characters/party_members). Due to enemies outnumbering the party in most situations, the benefits of better ranged weapons act asymmetric in favor of enemy groups. \\Installing this hotfix will cause a steep increase in difficulty (http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/difficulty) by almost a full level for any encounters that include multiple archers. If you are having trouble with easy or normal difficulty, stay away from this hotfix until we have updated it to offset these effects.

LOL@Bioware

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-08, 4:12 PM
for an epic fantasy RPG, the launch could have been so much worse. Never again the NWN2 days.

Common Sensei
2009-11-08, 4:24 PM
LOL@Bioware

Kind of like a genie twisting a wish.

"I wish dexterity worked better"

"Granted. It works better for everyone, especially your enemies."

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-08, 4:28 PM
for an epic fantasy RPG, the launch could have been so much worse. Never again the NWN2 days.

the first baldur's gate had a shitty launch too. That thing was buggier than a dead witch's crotch.

Shit the fact I'm playing the PC version and havent run into any game breaking bugs yet is awesome.

Nim
2009-11-08, 4:30 PM
If you've got more money than you know what to do with you can turn it into XP once you finish with the Arl Eamon and his Knight appears in your camp. Just spam the Allied supply chest with 30 gold donations and you get an XP reward each time, doesn't seem to be any limit on it.

Nim
2009-11-08, 5:02 PM
I am a cat. Really.

Ha!

Windansea
2009-11-08, 5:12 PM
Okay so why in the heck can't I make my character have huge, pointy ears like some of the other elves have? The chick at the beginning of the city elf origin, I want her ears but the sliders for the ears in character creation won't let me make them like hers. Unfair :(

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-08, 5:33 PM
Could it be a combination of factors, like size, height, position, et cetera?

All I know is, my human d00d looked badass in the character creator, but looks like a Special Kid in the field. Kind of like how jeans always fit in the fitting room, but go up or down a size on the way home.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 5:34 PM
Nope, they are completely different type of ear and I wants it.

Striker
2009-11-08, 5:35 PM

All I know is, my human d00d looked badass in the character creator, but looks like a Special Kid in the field. Kind of like how jeans always fit in the fitting room, but go up or down a size on the way home.

It's the lighting. Characters look a little different in daylight :P.

On a different note: I like the explanation why (noble) dwarves wear chainmail all the time in the Dragon Age world :D.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 5:36 PM
Well you know what they say: The camera angle adds 10lbs.

Windansea
2009-11-08, 6:15 PM
The Dwarven Noble surname sounds like Hadōken. I am now Lady Sakura, 2nd daughter of King Ryu.

Lapak
2009-11-08, 6:17 PM
Kind of like a genie twisting a wish.

"I wish dexterity worked better"

"Granted. It works better for everyone, especially your enemies."It's the company that created Baldur's Gate: they got their computer-RPG sensibilities from old-school D&D.

EDIT: Also, I am a tactics dunce. I accidentally set not one but two characters to use healing potions when they were OVER 25% health rather than UNDER.

nekodeev
2009-11-08, 6:26 PM
It's the company that created Baldur's Gate: they got their computer-RPG sensibilities from old-school D&D.

EDIT: Also, I am a tactics dunce. I accidentally set not one but two characters to use healing potions when they were OVER 25% health rather than UNDER.
I always get mixed up with those little pacman symbols too.

Jay
2009-11-08, 7:01 PM
Okay, so I know the name of the town I have to go to to get Shale, but I think I might be halfway through the game (Redcliffe and Mage Tower quests complete) and do not see this mother fucking town on my fucking map and YES the DLC is totally installed and raring to go.

Jobrill
2009-11-08, 7:10 PM
Hahaha, the dialogue in this game. Shale and Zevran were talking and in response to a jibe from Zevran, Shale says it's impossible for him to win the affection of another golem because golems are slaves to whoever holds their control rod. Zevran says "Funny, it works the same for us as well." :groucho:

Seriously, the party banter is great.

Yeah, I swear I'll need to play this game 5 or 6 times just to have multiple party combos to get all the party banter. It's good stuff.

Melanchthon
2009-11-08, 7:12 PM
This game is just really not drawing me in for whatever reason. I've just started my do-gooder routine in Lothering and I find myself not really wanting to continue. I may park my mage for a while and start playing a rogue, those seemed more dynamic in fights at least.

Talkinsquirrel
2009-11-08, 7:20 PM
Okay, so I know the name of the town I have to go to to get Shale, but I think I might be halfway through the game (Redcliffe and Mage Tower quests complete) and do not see this mother fucking town on my fucking map and YES the DLC is totally installed and raring to go.

The DLC areas should appear gold on your world map.

bosskii
2009-11-08, 7:20 PM
I think my favorite part of this game is that it really presses what being a Grey Warden means in this world. The Human Noble intro probably does it best, but there are so many times in the game where you can't make the easy decision but have to make the one that brings you closer to stopping the Blight.

Jay
2009-11-08, 7:31 PM
The DLC areas should appear gold on your world map.

I got the tower! And some kinda wagon/cart thing, but no town with a big fuckin golem in it!

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-08, 7:35 PM
I got the tower! And some kinda wagon/cart thing, but no town with a big fuckin golem in it!

IIRC the golem is part of an existing town so it might not show up as a gold area on your map.

bosskii
2009-11-08, 7:35 PM

You have to go see the merchant first, I believe, at the wagon icon. You'll get the next town from there.

The Lazarus
2009-11-08, 7:55 PM
I've been looking around and I've been unable to formulate a complete list... can someone tell me the specific instances in which companions will leave your party? I only know of one so far: Alistair will leave if you invite Lohgain into your party
Zhevran will double cross you once more Crows show up (probably if you haven't been good friends with him)

You know, you could easily go to the wagon/cart thing and see for yourself.

Jay
2009-11-08, 8:21 PM
Yeah I see the wagon and I figured out what went wrong. I was moving around the world map, and one of those cross swords icons popped up immediately UNDER the wagon. So I go into this little area and it's the wagon owned by the traveling dwarf merchant (not the dude with the savant enchanter son, the other dwarf merchant) so I just figured that's all there was and never went back.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get Shale with as little child killing as possible.

Rook
2009-11-08, 8:44 PM
This game is just really not drawing me in for whatever reason. I've just started my do-gooder routine in Lothering and I find myself not really wanting to continue. I may park my mage for a while and start playing a rogue, those seemed more dynamic in fights at least.

I seriously wanted to quit the game and regretted buying it until I got out of Lothering. Those first few hours of the game were fucking terrible. It got a lot more fun though. Stick with it.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-08, 8:59 PM
Endgame spoilers and sequel speculation: So did anyone summon Arl Foreshadow in the Mage Tower? I pickpocketed his notes and it's a list of "books to pursue for future endeavors," namely a Ferelden->Orlesian phrasebook, Raising Spirits: Offspring and the Fade, and a book about the lost elven city Arlathan. Will the next game be in Orlais featuring Morrigan's hellchild as medieval Indiana Jones? I HOPE SO

Next spoiler regarding companions leaving. Note that when I say your influence has to be low for some of these to happen, you have to have seriously negative rep, like almost -100.

Zevran: He will betray you to the Crows if you have negative rep with him, stand aside and let you fight the Crows alone if you have neutral rep, or join you to beat them if you have good rep. Also, if you lose too much rep with him, he will get mad and come at you.

Leliana and Wynne: If you destroy Andraste's Ashes with the dragon blood, they will leave. Also, for Wynne, if you side with Cullen about killing all the mages, she will fight you, and if she ever finds out you are a blood mage (or that you unlocked it by dealing with a demon) she will turn on you too.

Morrigan: I don't believe there is any event that will cause her to leave, but it is really darn easy to lose rep with her

Sten: On the way to the temple with Andraste's ashes, he will question whether you are committed to ending the Blight. I don't know why since this is a major part of forming your alliance. Anyway, if you sass him here he will fight you for control of the party, apparently, and if you beat him he will leave.

Oghren: He'll leave if you lose too much influence.

You can never lose Dog, he loves you forever :wub:

Swell
2009-11-08, 9:02 PM
I love this game so much it terrifies me and is pretty much the worst thing that could happen to me this month.

It's like BG2 and high school all over again

oh god I'm going to end up in community college again because of a PC game

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-08, 9:05 PM
so do archers really suck?

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-08, 9:08 PM
I love this game so much it terrifies me and is pretty much the worst thing that could happen to me this month.

All I can say is that considering the engine is complete, if DA2 takes five years to get here I am going to go Misery on Bioware.

edit: Archers really suck. Okay not really, but they don't do very much damage, they are more of a debuff class. I dumped Leliana for Zevran because I needed the DPS more than CC.

nekodeev
2009-11-08, 9:09 PM

Duke Nukem 3d multiplayer sent me to community college

PrinceAli
2009-11-08, 9:12 PM
Duke Nukem 3d multiplayer sent me to community college

Wait 30 seconds....

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 9:15 PM
okay, is it me, or does Steg look like a godamn Asari?

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 9:16 PM
All I can say is that considering the engine is complete, if DA2 takes five years to get here I am going to go Misery on Bioware.

edit: Archers really suck. Okay not really, but they don't do very much damage, they are more of a debuff class. I dumped Leliana for Zevran because I needed the DPS more than CC.

mage feels really weak too, but did you really expect an answer other than "chug another potion, you pussy" from bioware

bosskii
2009-11-08, 9:19 PM
I turned off Rapid Fire and kept Heroic Offense-ing Leliana and liked her well enough for a while. I'll probably use her all game in my next play through.

Somebody was asking about tips for starting the game. Something I just recently saw that I'll use for my next playthrough is the Archivist's Belt or Shawl or whatever it's called. You basically get 50% more XP for codex entries. Considering they are piled on thick early in the game, it could get your party started quick. You can find it the capital city in the mage shop in the market district for a mere 15s. Also sweet is the money belt you get from that merchant dwarf who is stalking you. It's also relatively cheap--89 silver, I think--and you figure that early in the game you can drop that on a random party member and get a leg up. I think it's a good idea to go to Demeren early in the game because you can get a lot of guild quests for all over the land as well as a decent chunk of quests right in the city. I'm also not 100% sure but I think the merchant dwarf who is stalking you also keeps everything you sell to him (maybe everybody does?) so if you just sell to him only you can basically always have access to things in case you sell some love letters or whatever that you might need later on, since he is always there.

Edit: if mage is weak then you are doing it wrong.

Common Sensei
2009-11-08, 9:23 PM
I think Sten was Bioware trying to make a big warrior type as much of an antithesis of Minsc as possible.

They did make a "If all else fails, go for the eyes" reference in one of the loading messages once.

I like the big guy.

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 9:26 PM
well, weak in the sense that: 1, mana sucks, regen sucks, potion chugging sucks, and 2, being surrounded by 37 enemies sucks even worse, when aoe just gets you killed.

Necrosaro
2009-11-08, 9:30 PM
Sten: On the way to the temple with Andraste's ashes, he will question whether you are committed to ending the Blight. I don't know why since this is a major part of forming your alliance. Anyway, if you sass him here he will fight you for control of the party, apparently, and if you beat him he will leave.

I had that fight with Sten but he stayed when I won. Perhaps there is a conversation choice that he leaves or if you lose, but he didn't leave for me.

Jay
2009-11-08, 9:39 PM
I had that fight with Sten but he stayed when I won. Perhaps there is a conversation choice that he leaves or if you lose, but he didn't leave for me.

Yeah, me too. I actually got some approval from the big man after beating his ass.

Necrosaro
2009-11-08, 9:54 PM
Yeah, me too. I actually got some approval from the big man after beating his ass.

About Sten:
I wish there was some way to explain to that asshole that going after the urn heals the guy with the big army we need to kill the Blight. Since he pointed that out before about how we were going to get through so many Blight to get to the Arch Demon. What an ass! But he hits things good so I keep him.

Also about the end of the Urn quest
Has anyone been able to kill that dragon before the temple with the urn in it? I tried three times and only managed to get it down to 30% health at best. My characters were only around level 9 at the time. I was going to go back and try again around level 14.

AKBoarder
2009-11-08, 10:07 PM
Has anyone been able to kill that dragon before the temple with the urn in it? I tried three times and only managed to get it down to 30% health at best. My characters were only around level 9 at the time. I was going to go back and try again around level 14.

I managed to kill it, I think my party at the time was Morrigan, Alastair and Oghren. Basically I just made sure I(rogue) was behind it all the time backstabbing and doing as much damage as possible, along with stocking up on a ton of potions. I mentioned it before, but I started with about 35 health potions and by the end I was down to having three left. It took absolutely forever and once I found out it was optional I felt stupid.

Rook
2009-11-08, 10:08 PM
I told Sten to GTFO personally.

Jay
2009-11-08, 10:15 PM
I'm still not entirely clear why Sten murdered an entire family
Also, Morrigan can be really fucking bitchy. At the beginning, she encourages you to save Sten from the cage. But she disapproves of freeing an innocent girl from a demon? I don't get it.

Rook
2009-11-08, 10:17 PM
I opened a box in Redcliff and Morrigan disapproved.

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-08, 10:20 PM
literally no one answered my question

nekodeev
2009-11-08, 10:24 PM
I think the answer is that she's a crazy swamp witch high on the vapors.

Jay
2009-11-08, 10:29 PM

Shit I missed it Ask again.
I mean, I can totally see her getting grumpy bout shit like helping those two elf kids find love, or blindly deciding to help some poor woman hunt for her kid/husband, or random do-gooder shit like that. But come ON. If you're okay with me showing mercy to a giant towering manslayer, what's wrong with mercy for a hypnotized, enthralled girl?

Nim
2009-11-08, 10:31 PM
well, weak in the sense that: 1, mana sucks, regen sucks, potion chugging sucks, and 2, being surrounded by 37 enemies sucks even worse, when aoe just gets you killed.

1. Potions, Dark Sustenance (Awesome Power), Blood Magic, another Mage casting Rejuv on you. Plenty of ways to keep your mana stores stocked.

2. Mind Blast, Sleep and Cone of Cold are your Friends here. Cone of Cold especially is bloody amazing, it stuns just about any enemy it hits for a good long time. Also helps if you have a solid tank to keep stuff off your squishies.

Overall I've found my Mages to be incredibly powerful. Healing, AoE, Debuffs, CC it just never ends. My main Character has done 56% of the total damage for the game.

About Sten:

Have your tank face the Dragon away and just pick away at it. I find having two characters along who can heal is a huge help. The big thing you have to watch for is when someone gets picked up and chomped on. The target will lose about a lifebar and a half over maybe ten seconds, and needs huge healing to keep going. Or you could just cheese it and use Shale, since he won't get picked up. Dragon fights have been the most rewarding in the game by far for me.

Also, Morrigan can be really fucking bitchy. At the beginning, she encourages you to save Sten from the cage. But she disapproves of freeing an innocent girl from a demon? I don't get it.

After he awoke Sten found himself alone, surrounded by strange people and without a weapon he considered to be part of his soul. He went mad with panic and didn't realize what he'd done until everyone was already dead.

Also, Morrigan can indeed be a capricious bitch.

Rook
2009-11-08, 10:33 PM

i think someone did

they said yes

The Lazarus
2009-11-08, 10:35 PM
I found archers to be pretty amazing toward the late game. The problem came when they started doing too much damage, making all the mobs gun for them and cutting them to pieces.

Archangel3d
2009-11-08, 11:04 PM
Not sure if this has been covered or not... but how exactly does one leave the major city of Denerim?

[Edit] Nevermind, found it

Windansea
2009-11-08, 11:21 PM
Endgame spoilers and sequel speculation: So did anyone summon Arl Foreshadow in the Mage Tower? I pickpocketed his notes and it's a list of "books to pursue for future endeavors," namely a Ferelden->Orlesian phrasebook, Raising Spirits: Offspring and the Fade, and a book about the lost elven city Arlathan. Will the next game be in Orlais featuring Morrigan's hellchild as medieval Indiana Jones? I HOPE SO

Next spoiler regarding companions leaving. Note that when I say your influence has to be low for some of these to happen, you have to have seriously negative rep, like almost -100.

Zevran: He will betray you to the Crows if you have negative rep with him, stand aside and let you fight the Crows alone if you have neutral rep, or join you to beat them if you have good rep. Also, if you lose too much rep with him, he will get mad and come at you.

Leliana and Wynne: If you destroy Andraste's Ashes with the dragon blood, they will leave. Also, for Wynne, if you side with Cullen about killing all the mages, she will fight you, and if she ever finds out you are a blood mage (or that you unlocked it by dealing with a demon) she will turn on you too.

Morrigan: I don't believe there is any event that will cause her to leave, but it is really darn easy to lose rep with her

Oghren: He'll leave if you lose too much influence.

You can never lose Dog, he loves you forever :wub:

Thank you! This will definitely help me considering the parties I mostly want to put together. I'm doing a Human Blood Mage for my first play-through, with Alistair, Morri, and possibly Oghren or Zevhren as my third. If Morri ends up really frustrating me though, I might switch her out with someone else.

Does anyone know which characters have the most dialog with each other? Like, which ones are "meant" to be together?

Yunara
2009-11-08, 11:23 PM
I mean, I can totally see her getting grumpy bout shit like helping those two elf kids find love, or blindly deciding to help some poor woman hunt for her kid/husband, or random do-gooder shit like that. But come ON. If you're okay with me showing mercy to a giant towering manslayer, what's wrong with mercy for a hypnotized, enthralled girl?

For Morigan, she's more about people solving their own problems, or relying on their own strength. She is generally opposed to helping others. Sten was different because he was locked in a cage and couldn't help himself. She would approve either releasing him, or killing him, but not leaving him locked up. So she is not actually pro-helping Sten, she is just anti-captivity.

Nim
2009-11-08, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know which characters have the most dialog with each other? Like, which ones are "meant" to be together?

You seem to get a pretty balanced amount of banter no matter who you bring, although I've noticed that a lot of people like talking to Morrigan.

Also, has anyone noticed that most banter seems to happen when you're crossing bridges?

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 11:45 PM
I've been rolling with Alistair, Wynne, and Leliana. Fuckers won't shut up.

Archangel3d
2009-11-08, 11:48 PM

Leliana and Wynne tend to have a very fond, mother-daughter sort-of relationship, if you're planning on playing a Good character.

Sten and Dog have some funny moments.

I've been rolling with Alistair, Wynne, and Leliana. Fuckers won't shut up.
Ditto

Archangel3d
2009-11-08, 11:50 PM

mercy to a giant towering manslayer = useful to her plans.

mercy for a hypnotized, enthralled girl = useless to her plans.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 12:05 AM
Rolling with Alistar and Wynne sounds great, I've heard they get some good banter. My only problem is that I am going to be a Blood Mage and well Wynne will ditch the party if she "catches" me being a bloodbender, whatever that entails. I don't know how I could get away with it and still keep Wynne in the party.

frobbnik
2009-11-09, 12:09 AM
Rolling with Alistar and Wynne sounds great, I've heard they get some good banter. My only problem is that I am going to be a Blood Mage and well Wynne will ditch the party if she "catches" me being a bloodbender, whatever that entails. I don't know how I could get away with it and still keep Wynne in the party.

theirs is mostly about socks. not kidding.

Jay
2009-11-09, 12:14 AM
Dirty socks
Also, lol Shale.
He really is just like the fantasy counterpart to HK-47. Not so much murderous towards organics, just incredibly irritated with and condescending towards.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 12:19 AM
Does anyone else get pissed when you sub them/others in the party? I am genuinely concerned about Alistair potentially getting pissed and his approval rating going down if I treat my companions like pokemon.

Nim
2009-11-09, 12:34 AM
Does anyone else get pissed when you sub them/others in the party? I am genuinely concerned about Alistair potentially getting pissed and his approval rating going down if I treat my companions like pokemon.

No, you can swap around whoever you like, nobody minds.

That's one of the better things about this game so far, it doesn't punish you for common sense gaming decisions even if they'd make no real world sense. Another example is that there are no timed quests, at least none I've found. No matter how urgent is sounds you can always come back weeks later and people are cool with it.

Windansea
2009-11-09, 12:35 AM
No, you can swap around whoever you like, nobody minds.

That's one of the better things about this game so far, it doesn't punish you for common sense gaming decisions even if they'd make no real world sense. Another example is that there are no timed quests, at least none I've found. No matter how urgent is sounds you can always come back weeks later and people are cool with it.

Hmmm, that's really curious considering what Senpai said:

Alastair has some mad haterade goin' on due to me playing pokemon with recruitable characters. He gets real pissed when I bring some scrub on the team.

I guess it's just anger flavor text and doesn't actually affect the story, dialog options, or his approval rating then?

Bester
2009-11-09, 12:40 AM
The only time I had him mad with me (Spoiler for End Of Redcliff/info you can get from him at that time.) Was after I got back from his "hometown" I'd gone without him and killed his "step-mom". He got over it, but that may just be because I had high persuade, or because he didn't like her to start with.

Decius
2009-11-09, 12:42 AM

Make your own potions with Herbalism. I roll around with 50-100 potions at all times. Set your party to drink them automatically when they drop below 25 % health (and if you want similar treshholds for mana) and below 50 % for the tank.
There are also several regen talents for your Mages (if enemies die, they get mana).

In this game AoE (if you can accept friendly fire - get your melee high resist against your favourite AoE-type of spell) and especially AoE CC is essential. I have two mages with tons of CC spells and at least 3 AoE CC spells. If 20 mobs come for me I can at least lock down 15 of them between Sleep, Glyphs, Paralysis, Waking Nightmare, Petrify, Horror, Disorient, Force Field and Crushing Prison (which works on most bosses too btw, same as Force Field). Add Shales AoE-stun and there isn't much that fights back. Sure, I sacrificed killing speed (less AoE, less DD-spells on my mages), but I rather kill them slower but savely.

Also, use spell combinations. Sleep is great. But Sleep with Horror kills lower mobs outright. Combine two Glyphs for major CC, use the first Hex with Drain Life for nearly the effect of a Health Potion (and a dead mob), use Ice spells with spells that crit the opponent, shattering them and so on.

Good combination: Cone of Cold (Ice?) and giving your melee high cold resist gear/potions. Locks everything around them down pretty good (and the Cone lasts nearly as long as the cooldown) and allows you to shatter them outright if you crit.

Nim
2009-11-09, 12:46 AM
I guess it's just anger flavor text and doesn't actually affect the story, dialog options, or his approval rating then?

I belive what he's referring to is adding new party members, like Zevran. When you first meet him Alister doesn't approve and will take a -10 hit if you add Zevran too the party, although you can knock it down to a -3 with Persuade.

Yunara
2009-11-09, 12:51 AM

With only 4 party members, it's relatively easy to plan that AoE.

I'm rocking 2 mages right now, and I couldn't imagine surviving without them.

Swell
2009-11-09, 12:52 AM
Question 1: Anyone had any experience with the Specializations for Rogue? I'm thinking Duelist and Assassin in particular.

Question 2: Gemstones! They just for selling, or for crafting?

boogada
2009-11-09, 12:58 AM
For mages, death siphon is pretty nice. Walking bomb is pretty nice against those huge groups of archers you encounter sometimes too, heh.

Cone of Cold is probably the best spell in the game, though.

Nim
2009-11-09, 1:04 AM
Question 1: Anyone had any experience with the Specializations for Rogue? I'm thinking Duelist and Assassin in particular.

Question 2: Gemstones! They just for selling, or for crafting?

1. Both are pretty nice, Duelist gives you some new attacks and upkeep powers and Assassin has some nice passive buffs and a cool final power that ups the damage a target takes (great for bosses).

2. Mostly yes, although keep an eye out for any gemstones that say "Remarkable," or something like that. They're gifts for Shale, but the Icon looks just like a normal gem, easy to miss if you don't check the name or tooltip before selling it.

Cone of Cold is probably the best spell in the game, though.

Agreed, the stun lasts a crazy long time and rarely gets resisted.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 1:13 AM

Nah, it happens when you first recruit certain dudes (as in, "gotta catch 'em all."). Alistair's all like "WTF Man this dude's an asshole we don't NEED him" and stuff.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 1:14 AM
Alistair rules, wynne rules, Shale rules. Replace Shale with Doggie if you don't have the DLC.

Everyone else can suck it, imho.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 1:17 AM

If you get his personal quest, he explains it to you. He lost his sword in a darkspawn battle, and the family found him dying on the battlefield and nursed him back to health. Unfortunately, when he awoke without his sword, he panicked, because apparently, in his culture, your sword is essentially your soul for the Warrior caste. He flew into a rage and killed them.

Common Sensei
2009-11-09, 1:18 AM
theirs is mostly about socks. not kidding.

There sure is a noticeable amount of dialogue and banter about footwear. Socks, shoes, boots...

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 1:19 AM
SHOES! I LOVE SHOES! IM A WORTHLESS RED HEAD BARD! I SWITCH ACCENTS EVERY 3RD SENTENCE! IM CURRENTLY NAKED IN THE CAMP BECAUSE IM A PIECE OF SHIT!

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 1:19 AM
Alistair rules, wynne rules, Shale rules. Replace Shale with Doggie if you don't have the DLC.

Everyone else can suck it, imho.

Honestly, Lelianna's pretty amazing. She has a really interesting past, a somewhat naieve but heartwarming outlook on the world since converting to the Chancery, and she's a hot redhead. Plus, she's nearly as fun to flirt with as Alistar. While I haven't quite completed my dwarf commoner playthrough, I am dabbling with a human noble warrior who was going to have a Lei/Alistar/Morrigan group, but upon hearing up above that Leilanna and Wynne have a cute mother-daughter type banter going when they're in party together, I may switch out Morrigan instead.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 1:20 AM
Dangit, sometimes a girl just wants pretty feet. >:[

Rook
2009-11-09, 1:24 AM

He disapproves when you recruit certain people, is what I mean. Inviting people to your party. Switching members around in your party doesn't do anything bad th ough.

Common Sensei
2009-11-09, 1:29 AM
Dangit, sometimes a girl just wants pretty feet. >:[

Zevran has a little spiel about boots, himself.

Rook
2009-11-09, 1:48 AM
It's the gays. They can't get enough shoes.

Jarp Habib
2009-11-09, 2:53 AM
Left my new base at Soldier's Peak to go to Sulcher's Pass. Oh god. I made a stop at camp to change my party a bit (took Alistair, Morrigan and the redhead), and on the road to the Pass i stumbled upon a darkspawn ambush. Two yellow-level Shrieks, about ten Genlocks and ten Hurlocks, both groups set as Archers. They were attacking a small group of Elven scouts, completely wiped 'em out in a minute.

I burned through 3/4 of my health pots :( All of my Greater, all but one of my Normal, all i've got left is a bunch of lessers.

Which brings me to a new question. Morrigan's got a couple levels of herbal crafting- howcome she can only make some basic healing pots? Even after I increased her skill, it didn't change what she can make. What's the point of the skill if I can only make minor healing pots? Is there some way to learn how to make more?

Nim
2009-11-09, 3:08 AM
You have to buy recipes for you crafting from vendor. Note that you don't have to have the requisite skill level to learn a recipe, just to craft it.

The Lazarus
2009-11-09, 3:12 AM
I can't figure out which type gifts, if any, Alistair and Sten like. Since I don't use them in my party, I don't get a lot of chances to make up influence with them so conversations don't get very far.

Wasn't hard to figure out what Oghen liked though. Shale, Leliana, and Morrigan were the easiest ones to gift into my good graces.

Zhevran was only neutral to me but ended up siding with the crows when they came back. And then I finally found some leather gloves as a gift for him.

Jarp, you gotta buy recipes from the various merchants out in the world.

Rook
2009-11-09, 3:16 AM
Alistair likes statues and stuff like that.

Edit: And I think Sten likes war momentos? I dunno, he liked the Painting of the Rebel Queen I found.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 3:21 AM
Sten likes paintings in general, actually. Apparently he finds the discipline of the paint brush to be akin to warrior discipline.

And yeah, Statues and Runestones for Alistair.

Striker
2009-11-09, 4:17 AM
Best reference so far...

'Gather your party and venture forth?'

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-09, 4:32 AM
What's that a reference to?

Striker
2009-11-09, 4:37 AM
What's that a reference to?

The single most annoying sound effect of BG2.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-09, 4:38 AM
Oh, okay

Divi Filius
2009-11-09, 6:11 AM
I belive what he's referring to is adding new party members, like Zevran. When you first meet him Alister doesn't approve and will take a -10 hit if you add Zevran too the party, although you can knock it down to a -3 with Persuade.
Really? I never got that. Alistair didn't even say anything when I brought Zevran on board.

Decius
2009-11-09, 6:25 AM
Really? I never got that. Alistair didn't even say anything when I brought Zevran on board.

He only complains if he's in your party when you take Zevran on board.

Striker
2009-11-09, 7:04 AM
Hmm...I've played through all the origin stories now...still can't decide what to continue with.

Right now I'm leaning towards human noble warrior or rogue...

GeoGonzo
2009-11-09, 7:45 AM
Im playing with a human rogue and having lots of fun. It's really important to position yourself behind enemies, though.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 8:10 AM
Alistair says something like "Really? We're bringing the assassin along now?" and then at the end of the conversation you'll get a little "Alistair disapproves" message. He doesn't say anything like "I disapprove, I like you less now."

Alymon
2009-11-09, 8:20 AM
Love this game. Love it!

I don't know how many hours I put in so far, but I can't stop playing it. Which sucks because I have 3 other games I want to play right now.

Some cool moments for me so far:

- Running through a building fighting guys, slipping and falling on what appeared to be ale poured out on the ground from an overturned barrel (which, much to my demise, also is very flammable)
- Setting up an ambush with my 2 archers and mage. Had them holding around the corner, used my fighter to draw some guys out into the trap. They round the corner and are met with flaming and freezing arrows plus magic bolts.
- Killing someone I suspected of being a snitch. I didn't have any proof. I just know that before I talked to them, I was not ambushed when I went into a building. Afterwards, I was. When I went back and asked the person about it, they swore they didn't say a word. Unfortunately, I must've slipped and accidentally slit the persons throat. Funny how accidents like that happen sometimes.

Divi Filius
2009-11-09, 8:23 AM
Alistair says something like "Really? We're bringing the assassin along now?" and then at the end of the conversation you'll get a little "Alistair disapproves" message. He doesn't say anything like "I disapprove, I like you less now."
Yes, thank you for clarifying, Grayson.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 8:25 AM
I was just reminding you of a line you may have forgotten Alistair said.

Jay
2009-11-09, 8:27 AM
SHOES! I LOVE SHOES! IM A WORTHLESS RED HEAD BARD! I SWITCH ACCENTS EVERY 3RD SENTENCE! IM CURRENTLY NAKED IN THE CAMP BECAUSE IM A PIECE OF SHIT!

What the fuck

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-09, 8:35 AM
I'm playing this and NwN2 + Mask + Zehir. It's a Bioware Bananza! (playing NwN2 first)

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 8:36 AM
Obsidian made NWN2, not BioWare.

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-09, 8:38 AM
oh that's right.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 8:46 AM
Love this game. Love it!

I don't know how many hours I put in so far, but I can't stop playing it. Which sucks because I have 3 other games I want to play right now.
I hear you. I am so in love with this game.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 8:48 AM
I hear you. I am so in love with this game.

Every time I finish one thing, I find 10 more things to do. It's a little daunting. I'm actually struggling to decide where I want to go next and how I want to respond to just about everything.

Angel
2009-11-09, 8:58 AM
Anyone know where I can find Zevran?

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 9:01 AM
I ran into him while traveling between towns after I got the cutscene with him. I am pretty sure he just triggers at a certain point, though for what it's worth I found him after completing the castle quest at Redcliffe.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 9:03 AM

I believe it was after I cleared Castle Redcliffe. I was on my way south to do the DLC for Shale and hit a random encounter with Zevran and the Crow Assassins.

There's a cutscene you get after Castle Redcliffe I believe of Loghain hiring assassins to kill you. I think after that occurs, anytime you are travelling between locations you can get the random encounter for Zevran.

Sydney Carton
2009-11-09, 9:05 AM

He finds you.

You have to have done at least some of the main quest before you run into him. More detailed and spoilery info here: You'll see him in a cutscene around the time you complete your first "treaty" area, whichever one you chose. He's sent to assassinate you, and once you see that cutscene he'll show up later in a random encounter while traveling through the map. Once you beat him you have the option of recruiting him.

Matt
2009-11-09, 9:11 AM
The more I play this game the more the little quirks of the interface and combat system annoy me. Perhaps the PC version plays a lot better. Still I think for me it'll be worth playing through just once to see where the story goes. I've changed my difficulty down to casual cause it was getting annoying just coasting along but occasionally running into the right combination of enemies that just decimates my party in seconds.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 9:13 AM
The more I play this game the more the little quirks of the interface and combat system annoy me. Perhaps the PC version plays a lot better. Still I think for me it'll be worth playing through just once.

I've generally found the interface on the 360 to be pretty good. I still mix up controls here and there (mostly switching between filters on inventory versus party members).

My biggest annoyance is that I can't sell items that my party members are equipping without first exiting the merchant, swapping equipment, then starting up the conversation again.

I also don't like that I can't swap my weapon set for comparison when in a merchant screen. So if I want to compare melee weapons, then compare my bow, I have to exit the trade, swap weapons, then start it up again.

Other than that, I've been happy.

Divi Filius
2009-11-09, 9:17 AM
I was totally ready to kill Zevran based on the silly gameplay video of him, but the guy is just too charming in game. This is kind of odd for a RPG. Usually I can find one character that I absolutely loathe, but this game is just devoid of them.

CyanideRush
2009-11-09, 9:21 AM
I was totally ready to kill Zevran based on the silly gameplay video of him, but the guy is just too charming in game. This is kind of odd for a RPG. Usually I can find one character that I absolutely loathe, but this game is just devoid of them.

He's like gay, elvan Antonio Bandaras from Desperado.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-09, 9:22 AM
I'd probably kill Alistair if he wasn't already getting owned in battle so quickly. I feel like I've messed up a bit when it comes to equipping my characters, plus I still can't seem to make up a decent strategy for what I do have. Part of me wants to start over but I have gotten my guy to level 11 already.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 9:23 AM
He's like gay, elvan Antonio Bandaras from Desperado.

I really hate that I can't have him in my party. I keep Leilana with me at all times because I'm trying to get her in bed. And since I'm already a rogue, there's no room for 3 rogues in my party.

Sydney Carton
2009-11-09, 9:23 AM
My main beef is that I can't find a way to use my teammate's skills at the party camp. So, say, if I want Morrigan to make me a bunch of health pots I have to put her in my party, travel somewhere, and when we finally get there have her make the potions. I'd much rather just make the potions in camp where the vendor to sell flasks/etc is handy.

Also, if anyone can point me to where better Health Poultice recipes can be bought, that'd be much appreciated.

So far I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I tend to spend a lot of time paused to micromanage my party but doing so keeps everyone alive and healthy.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 9:24 AM
I'd probably kill Alistair if he wasn't already getting owned in battle so quickly. I feel like I've messed up a bit when it comes to equipping my characters, plus I still can't seem to make up a decent strategy for what I do have. Part of me wants to start over but I have gotten my guy to level 11 already.

It might be worth dropping the difficulty down then? I dropped from Hard to Normal. I'll try it again on hard on my second playthrough when I'm not being a rogue, but I was struggling too much for my taste and I prefer to focus more on my main character and let my buddies be managed by the tactics I choose for them.

CyanideRush
2009-11-09, 9:29 AM
Can someone who's gone Arcane Warrior tell me if it's worth the hard ass battle to get all 4 parts of the arcane warrior armor in the forest?

Lapak
2009-11-09, 9:32 AM
I have a question and I'm not sure if the topic has come up; I've lost track since this thread has gone mega-threadish. For people who've gotten further along in this game: what warrior specialties would you recommend?

(Should we start a new thread for strategy/advice as opposed to general game discussion?)

Archangel3d
2009-11-09, 10:00 AM
I think that a "Dragon Age - Story/Character Discussion" and "Dragon Age - Tactics/Mechanics Discussion" would do well, because things are really getting jumbled. Do you guys think it would be a good idea?

Lex Senthur
2009-11-09, 10:21 AM
One way this game is better than Mass Effect: It doesn't make you choose. :pimp:

Nim
2009-11-09, 10:24 AM
I have a question and I'm not sure if the topic has come up; I've lost track since this thread has gone mega-threadish. For people who've gotten further along in this game: what warrior specialties would you recommend?

I'd say Champion and Templar if you want a tank and Zerker/Champion if you want DPS. I have't tried out Reaver yet, so no idea about that one.

One way this game is better than Mass Effect: It doesn't make you choose. :pimp:

There are so very many ways this game is better than Mass Effect. I love ME, but this is the Bioware RPG I've been waiting for since I finished Throne of Bhaal.

Lex Senthur
2009-11-09, 10:31 AM
Dragon Age: Go Go Dragon Micromanagement

Dragon Age: Oh Shit Baby Dragons

Dragon Age: Elftonio Bandaras

Dragon Age: Two Girls One Warden. Not really, but I did get them both separately on one trip to camp. They have both been in my party as soon as I could add them (sorry Barkspawn :( ) and they have remained oblivious, until Alistair was like "omg Leliana did you HEAR?" and she was like "oh my what juicy gossip!"

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-09, 10:43 AM
I am going to absolutely ruin Morrigan. I am bending all of my thought not spent on killing dudes onto getting her to the tent.

Also: Redcliffe spoilar

Does everybody get the third option on the posessed kid storyline? I was all set to sacrifice the mother (and I wasn't particularly happy about it) when somebody says "Are you sure you don't want to grab some Magi to hook the kid up" and I was all like WHY DINTCHA SAY SO and now all is well in Ye Olde Redecliffe

CyanideRush
2009-11-09, 10:52 AM
Dragon Age: Elftonio Bandaras

I lol'd. I'll never be able to watch Desperado in the same light. Especially when he says "Let's play".

Does everybody get the third option on the posessed kid storyline? I was all set to sacrifice the mother (and I wasn't particularly happy about it) when somebody says "Are you sure you don't want to grab some Magi to hook the kid up" and I was all like WHY DINTCHA SAY SO and now all is well in Ye Olde Redecliffe

That's the option I took.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 10:53 AM
I am going to absolutely ruin Morrigan. I am bending all of my thought not spent on killing dudes onto getting her to the tent.

Yeah. I couldn't imagine NOT doing it that way, cuz I ain't no jerk, but as it turns out, Wolfgang and Lex both killed poor Isolde. Okay, technically Isolde is sort of a ass, and everything IS her fault, but she's also hot and her husband is old enough that he'll probably die in a few years anyway, so... hey, score?

Alymon
2009-11-09, 10:55 AM

I don't know, but I got the that option. I was all like "Fuck that shit there isn't time man!"

Wolfgang
2009-11-09, 10:56 AM
Yeah. I couldn't imagine NOT doing it that way, cuz I ain't no jerk, but as it turns out, Wolfgang and Lex both killed poor Isolde. Okay, technically Isolde is sort of a ass, and everything IS her fault, but she's also hot and her husband is old enough that he'll probably die in a few years anyway, so... hey, score?

Isolde deserved to die. Everything in that castle was her fault. And she had a horrible, horrible accent to boot. No regrets. Even Arl agreed with me.

Sydney Carton
2009-11-09, 10:58 AM

It may be different depending on who you have n your party at the time. I had Wynne and Alistar, and Wynne offered up the Fade option quickly and Alistar was all "OOH LET'S DO THAT." Maybe if you had, like, Shale Sten and Dog in your party noone would think of that option. Or if you hadn't done the Mage Tower yet maybe?

FearTheKirby
2009-11-09, 11:01 AM
I read one thing I kind of wished I saw before, in the beginning when you're trying to prove yourself for the ritual if you grab just the blood and not the treaties, you can turn that in and over and over again, until your character reaches level 25, as long as you don't grab the treaties straight of the back.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 11:03 AM
I read one thing I kind of wished I saw before, in the beginning when you're trying to prove yourself for the ritual if you grab just the blood and not the treaties, you can turn that in and over and over again, until your character reaches level 25, as long as you don't grab the treaties straight of the back.

So... cheating?

Not to say I wouldn't do the same thing.

Also, I thought the cap was 20?

Wolfgang
2009-11-09, 11:03 AM
There is no level cap. :3

Well, outside the finite amount of experience available in a normal playthrough.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 11:07 AM
There is no level cap. :3

Well, outside the finite amount of experience available in a normal playthrough.

Awesome. I was worried I wasn't going to be able to get all the skills I wanted. At least now I know there is a chance I could.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 11:12 AM
Here's something that kind of disappoints me:

In terms of the story Grey Wardens have the ability to "sense" darkspawn and know that an archdemon is hanging around, which is all fine and dandy, but there seems to be zero gameplay application of Grey Warden "abilities". I keep finding myself asking, "What's special about me again?" They should have implemented some tangible Grey Warden ability or abilities that are applicable to gameplay.

Alymon
2009-11-09, 11:13 AM
Here's something that kind of disappoints me:

In terms of the story Grey Wardens have the ability to "sense" darkspawn and know that an archdemon is hanging around, which is all fine and dandy, but there seems to be zero gameplay application of Grey Warden "abilities". I keep finding myself asking, "What's special about me again?" They should have implemented some tangible Grey Warden ability (or abilities) that are applicable to gameplay.

Haven't you noticed how you always seem to go places where the darkspawn exists? :whistling

I kind of just rationalized it as I was new to the grey warden thing and my powers were still not the same level as an experienced grey warden.

frobbnik
2009-11-09, 11:18 AM
seriously. Wynne gets a special ability from her angelic posession, the rest of us get squat? piffle.

Krall
2009-11-09, 11:20 AM
Isolde deserved to die. Everything in that castle was her fault. And she had a horrible, horrible accent to boot. No regrets. Even Arl agreed with me.

Then I guess I'm a horrible motherfucker with how I handled Redcliffe

Sorry, but little Timmy deserved to die by the laws of the game world. I was also a sick fuck in my reasoning FOR doing it that way. Kid's mother fucked things up royally just for her image. Her fucking IMAGE. I am NOT going to let you get off easy by dying. I'm going to kill the kid and not only let you live, but go out of my way to keep you the fuck alive. I'm going to let you live every fucking day knowing that because of your shallow, completely selfish mentality that YOU brought about the death of your countrymen and YOUR actions caused your child to die.

...Should I seek counseling?

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-09, 11:23 AM
Yes

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 11:24 AM
Yeah, pretty much.

I can see letting Isolde die to make up for her crimes, but the kid doesn't deserve death for his mother's mistakes and/or to be an object lesson.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 11:27 AM

Harsh! A mother wanted to keep her kid. The way I handled it she's losing the kid to the mages.

Yunara
2009-11-09, 11:31 AM
I kind of just rationalized it as I was new to the grey warden thing and my powers were still not the same level as an experienced grey warden.

They specifically mention it in game a couple times that your character is too new to be able to sense darkspawn or any other abilities.

That doesn't explain why Alistair doesn't get this ability however :(

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 11:34 AM
For funniest character banter, you have to include Zevran in your party, he will hit on everybody. If you take Alistair, try to pair him with Morrigan as often as you can manage because the mutual loathing is pretty funny. Wynne and Zevran have a number of good, related banters that had me in stitches (Wynne: "Zevran, this is just a game of yours. What would you even do if you had me?" Zevran: "You are a cynical woman. Cynical and powerful. It drives me mad with desire." Also, she tries to tell him that assassinating people is wrong, his response is "I'm so confused.. I think I may cry... Can I cry into your bosom?" Wynne: "NO"). Wynne and Alistair are good together too; if you are in a romance with him, she explains to him where babies come from and then laughs at him when he blushes. Although, the way she leads in to this conversation is with a double entendre and I was a little disappointed that it went over his head. Also I hear if you have Oghren in your party while you are in a relationship with Alistair but before you sleep with him, Oghren will make fun of him for not sealing the deal.

I've noticed that conversations happen at set points, one example being in Orzammar when you cross the bridge to the Proving arena, and one in the Mage Tower on the second(?) floor. There seems to be a delay between banters so you can't just run back and forth over the triggers, but you can reload and hear a different conversation. I prefer to just let them happen naturally, the conversation I posted about earlier with Zevran and Shale happened unexpectedly and I was drinking water right as the punchline hit. Like I said, Zevran is great for those :monocle: moments.

Bester
2009-11-09, 11:40 AM

With all the people ripping off Dresden, this has made be want to make an asshole mage named Morgan.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-09, 11:48 AM
So if I just finished Redcliffe, about how far along the main storyline am I?

Jarp Habib
2009-11-09, 12:09 PM

I've been playing for several days straight now, and have finally gotten around to Redcliffe just last night. I've done the DLC, and only one other main quest: rousing the Elves. So I'd say I'm maybe 1/4 done, with about 40 hours logged so far.

How the hell have some of you already beaten it?

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 12:10 PM
What else have you done? To complete Redcliffe you have to beat the mage tower first (unless you're playing a jerk I guess) so I'd say maybe 40%? There are 4 groups you have treaties for, once you have gotten commitments from all four, you go on to the Landsmeet after which you have the final battle. It sounds short but it really isn't.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 12:14 PM
I haven't beaten it yet but I did succumb to the lure of spoilers. Basically they heavily foreshadowed an ending I didn't want so I looked everything up to see how to get out of it. No solid plot spoilers but you still may not want to read: I did find a way out but it involves gross dereliction of duty so I won't be doing it with this character, but next game I am rolling up someone who don't give a fuck and I will weasel out.

Ending-ish spoiler: It does make me mad that Alistair has no appreciation for poetic justice. Making Loghain become a Grey Warden and end the Blight seems completely appropriate to me.

PrinceAli
2009-11-09, 12:14 PM
Uhh, I went to Redcliff first. I can still go back and do all the other stuff right?

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 12:20 PM
Yeah, you can do them in any order, but if you want to do the good thing the guys at Redcliffe will send you over to clear out the Mage tower before you can progress further.

You'll be fine, I did Redcliffe first too.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 12:20 PM
You know, weirdly enough, when I'm not romancing Alistair, I can't help but think that he and Morrigan would make a cute couple once Morrigan mellows out a little. I must be a sucker for teasing, even if Morrigan's brand gets a bit overly malicious at times.

Archangel3d
2009-11-09, 12:21 PM
At that point it's hard to say; you've got 4 separate main quest areas to complete (Redcliff, Circle Tower, Daleish Elf lands and Dwarf lands), but you can do them in any order. And have you done the whole of Redcliff, including the Urn?

Basically, if you did Redcliff (without any of the other stuff with the Circle or anything) and got the Arl's pledge, then you're roughly 25% done the "middle" of the story, not including the Origin and the siege of Ositgar (which comes before), or anything that happens after you finish the middle of the story (not there yet, no idea how long the story lasts after you've gathered your army)

And that's not counting the 50billion side quests.

You've got a looooot of content to go, yet.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 12:41 PM
For funniest character banter, you have to include Zevran in your party, he will hit on everybody. If you take Alistair, try to pair him with Morrigan as often as you can manage because the mutual loathing is pretty funny. Wynne and Zevran have a number of good, related banters that had me in stitches (Wynne: "Zevran, this is just a game of yours. What would you even do if you had me?" Zevran: "You are a cynical woman. Cynical and powerful. It drives me mad with desire." Also, she tries to tell him that assassinating people is wrong, his response is "I'm so confused.. I think I may cry... Can I cry into your bosom?" Wynne: "NO"). Wynne and Alistair are good together too; if you are in a romance with him, she explains to him where babies come from and then laughs at him when he blushes. Although, the way she leads in to this conversation is with a double entendre and I was a little disappointed that it went over his head. Also I hear if you have Oghren in your party while you are in a relationship with Alistair but before you sleep with him, Oghren will make fun of him for not sealing the deal.
I had a sick laugh when Oghren said to Wynne (this won't be exact), "Yeah, I'd go for a roll with ya."
Wynne: "I'm sorry?"
Oghren: "I'd roll with ya."
Wynne: "I supposed that I should be flattered."
Oghren: "I don't know if I have the equipment for that, but I'd hit it." (or something to that effect)

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 12:44 PM
You know, weirdly enough, when I'm not romancing Alistair, I can't help but think that he and Morrigan would make a cute couple once Morrigan mellows out a little. I must be a sucker for teasing, even if Morrigan's brand gets a bit overly malicious at times.
I don't think it would work out at all. One of his things is that while he likes to joke and can take the occasional ice burn, he needs to be accepted unconditionally. Although you can make him become more selfish if you handle his personal quest a certain way, I don't really see it working between them.

He and Leliana could be cute though. If he can put up with her talking about shoes and hair (God knows I couldn't :().

FearTheKirby
2009-11-09, 12:51 PM
Alistair got fucking pissed when I offed the kid at redcliffe personally lost 24 points of his favor rating. Does anybody know what happens if you opt to take the kid to the magi's? also how the hell do you access the werewolf chamber where they are all barred in?

AKBoarder
2009-11-09, 12:55 PM
also how the hell do you access the werewolf chamber where they are all barred in?

Are you talking about the thing where the tree just keeps making you go back to where you started from? If so, there's a hermit you need to find, and he tells you about an old oak tree, then you go to the old oak tree and(who is basically tree beard with a demon mouth) and figure it out from there!

Jay
2009-11-09, 12:55 PM
So question about the human noble character:

Do you ever actually locate your brother Fergus or confront/kill Howe? That part of my dude's story just totally dropped off.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 12:56 PM
Alistair got fucking pissed when I offed the kid at redcliffe personally lost 24 points of his favor rating. Does anybody know what happens if you opt to take the kid to the magi's? also how the hell do you access the werewolf chamber where they are all barred in?
The kid: offering the kid to the Mages is the "everyone ends up reasonably happy and still alive" option with no fallout.

The other issue: There's only one consistent open path through the ruins. Just follow it all the way to the end, and them area-transition through the pool of water.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-09, 12:57 PM
Are you talking about the thing where the tree just keeps making you go back to where you started from? If so, there's a hermit you need to find, and he tells you about an old oak tree, then you go to the old oak tree and(who is basically tree beard with a demon mouth) and figure it out from there!

No I figured that part out easily, I'm talking about when you're actually inside the main chamber where Witherfang is in a barred off room, I can't figure out for the life of me in how to access that room.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 12:57 PM

Do you ever actually locate your brother Fergus or confront/kill Howe? That part of my dude's story just totally dropped off.
I certainly hope so, but I haven't seen anything happen with it yet.

AKBoarder
2009-11-09, 1:00 PM
No I figured that part out easily, I'm talking about when you're actually inside the main chamber where Witherfang is in a barred off room, I can't figure out for the life of me in how to access that room.

Ahh, can't help you there. I chose to take the werewolves instead of the elves, so I never head to hunt him down.

Because the dalish annoyed the shit out of me, and getting to slaughter them was awesome.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-09, 1:03 PM
Ahh, can't help you there. I chose to take the werewolves instead of the elves, so I never head to hunt him down.

Because the dalish annoyed the shit out of me, and getting to slaughter them was awesome.
I figure for that portion I wouldn't go the evil route, but I will be incredibly evil when I make a Mage.

Edit:
The other issue: There's only one consistent open path through the ruins. Just follow it all the way to the end, and them area-transition through the pool of water.

Now when you say through the pool? I've tried everything with the pool room I drank the water, I read the altar, I put the vase with water on the alter, I sipped the vase to have the water boil and summon the bad guys to kill, is there something I missed?

AKBoarder
2009-11-09, 1:09 PM
I figure for that portion I wouldn't go the evil route, but I will be incredibly evil when I make a Mage.

Yeah, if you're planning on trying it later I won't spoil it for you, but let me just put it this way.

The relationship between the Dalish and the Werewolves is not nearly as cut and dry as it seems, and who is good and who is bad is really academic, because both sides have done some terrible things.

I made the decision that the elves were worse(plus they annoyed me).

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 1:19 PM
Now when you say through the pool? I've tried everything with the pool room I drank the water, I read the altar, I put the vase with water on the alter, I sipped the vase to have the water boil and summon the bad guys to kill, is there something I missed?
That isn't the pool room I meant. Keep moving forward through the tunnels.

Jay
2009-11-09, 1:24 PM
I certainly hope so, but I haven't seen anything happen with it yet.

Me neither. That seems kind of shitty.

Jogga
2009-11-09, 1:28 PM
Me neither. That seems kind of shitty.

I'm not sure about Fergus, since I haven't played the Human Noble origin, but I can guarantee that you'll have your chance with Howe.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 1:30 PM
I think Human Noble characters get their resolution pretty late, but I'm just guessing. You do get some plot bonuses toward the end of the game because you outrank Loghain so it's possible to get the arls to back you as king since Alistair doesn't want to claim it.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 1:34 PM
I think Human Noble characters get their resolution pretty late, but I'm just guessing. You do get some plot bonuses toward the end of the game because you outrank Loghain so it's possible to get the arls to back you as king since Alistair doesn't want to claim it.
But Grey Wardens can't hold a title. Do they just violate that policy?

frobbnik
2009-11-09, 1:52 PM

Edit:

kneel at the altar before you drink

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 1:53 PM
Where is that said? I've only seen that said about Mages. Anyway, apparently so. Male Noble can become king or Female Noble can become Queen but I think only if you get Alistair to claim the crown and marry you. Which is dumb because if you aren't noble he dumps you and says too bad, he needs an heir. Being a noble doesn't make a female PC immune to the reproductive damage done by the blight. Maybe that didn't make sense, I don't know if other characters mention it besides Alistair, but becoming a warden somehow damages your fertility. You might still have a kid with a non-warden, but if you're sleeping with another warden you might as well be sterile.

edit: On consideration it can't be the case because otherwise that aspect of Alistair's character shouldn't even come up, it would be completely irrelevant.

Rastlin
2009-11-09, 1:54 PM
Where do you get this Oghren?

And dear god, are there any good magic two handed sword or axe drops in this game! Haven't seen one since the first Warden quest.

Sydney Carton
2009-11-09, 2:00 PM
Where do you get this Oghren?

And dear god, are there any good magic two handed sword or axe drops in this game! Haven't seen one since the first Warden quest.I got a fairly strong 2-handed sword pretty early on which had 2-3 rune slots and bonus damage to dragons, and I think I walked out of the Redcliffe arc with a couple Axes.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-09, 2:01 PM
kneel at the altar before you drink

I'll try that tonight thank you.

Divi Filius
2009-11-09, 2:02 PM
What I love about this game is that genuinely powerful and enchanted weapons are rare.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-09, 2:04 PM
What I love about this game is that genuinely powerful and enchanted weapons are rare.

Yeah rare or at least really expensive

The Lazarus
2009-11-09, 2:04 PM
Yeah, you can do them in any order, but if you want to do the good thing the guys at Redcliffe will send you over to clear out the Mage tower before you can progress further.
I figured it would take too long to go to the Circle and then back again, so I just made do without them. :whistling

I had a sick laugh when Oghren
He has so many more interactions with Wynne, it's hilarious

Yes (but only as a footnote), and yes.

Look at your map, that's what it's there for.

I don't think that they specifically can't, it would just be a conflict of interest. And probably interfere with their duties.

Killjoy
2009-11-09, 2:16 PM
Where is that said? I've only seen that said about Mages.
It has come up a couple of times. Most recently it was in a conversation between my Human Noble character and Wynne.

Xyzandra
2009-11-09, 2:48 PM
My Dwarf Warrior Princess is awesome. Even if the bioware social site thingy won't update her info. Stupid website.

I have a dog. He's so cool. He's called Barkspawn because I was coincidently reading penny arcade while I was waiting for the scene to load.

frobbnik
2009-11-09, 2:52 PM
I had to name mine Dogmeat. Fallout supremacy.

Lapak
2009-11-09, 3:00 PM
I named mine Bruin, because those things seriously look like they crossbred dogs and bears somehow.

Lex Senthur
2009-11-09, 3:22 PM
Barkspawn looks like that pictures of the super muscular dog with the gene disorder or whatever that makes him look like a pile of bricks.

Sam
2009-11-09, 3:37 PM
Hey guys, I'm not reading the spoilers. If I were to start playing this game now, what vague pointers could you give me that would allow me to avoid making some regrettable decisions/oversights that you guys made at the beginning of your play!

Divi Filius
2009-11-09, 3:39 PM
Don't kiss a girl if there are other girls in the room.

Lapak
2009-11-09, 3:42 PM
Don't choose items on conversation trees with your companions just because they're there; there are a number of them that do not lead to any positive outcomes.

Especially with Morrigan.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 3:43 PM
Explore a lot in the first couple major questgiver areas past your origin story, or you may miss some key party members and never be able to get them again.

The Lazarus
2009-11-09, 3:53 PM
The Tab key highlights stuff you can interact with. Use it, love it.

I didn't even know about it until halfway through the game. I hate to think of what I've missed because of that. :x

Edit: do most people play over the shoulder view or isometric? I zoomed in to over the shoulder view for a bit and enjoyed it, especially since I could tilt the view up or down. Going back to isometric made the camera feel so much more restrictive.

Jobrill
2009-11-09, 3:54 PM
Also: Dragon Age Dwarves are pretty much the best dwarves ever, hands down.

AKBoarder
2009-11-09, 3:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm not reading the spoilers. If I were to start playing this game now, what vague pointers could you give me that would allow me to avoid making some regrettable decisions/oversights that you guys made at the beginning of your play!

As of right now, try not to play a ranged rogue. If you want to play ranged, use a mage, and if you want to be a rogue, focus on dual weapon skills.

edit:

What Jobrill said times a million

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-09, 3:55 PM
Edit: do most people play over the shoulder view or isometric? I zoomed in to over the shoulder view for a bit and enjoyed it, especially since I could tilt the view up or down. Going back to isometric made the camera feel so much more restrictive.Shoulder view mostly. Isometric is useful in battles.

Lapak
2009-11-09, 3:58 PM
Shoulder view mostly. Isometric is useful in battles.Though it's worth noting shoulder view is the only way to conduct ranged combat in battles, especially if you want to initiate combat that way. If you wait until they're in view from the overhead, they'll already be charging you.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-09, 4:00 PM
Don't leave the first town (Lothering) until you are really really done there. This isn't a spoiler, just a reminder I guess since I've noticed some people leave without finding the couple of companions that are there.

Be a mage, they rule. If you won't be a mage, become buddies with a mage. Cone of cold owns, pair it with stone fist or a critical hit (all melee attacks from behind are crit, or backstab if you are a rogue).

Bow and arrow combat is okay but not awesome. Mages have some unbelievably OP spells and spell combos, and if you play melee you will sometimes get really awesome finishing moves (like you will jump on top of a dragon's head and stab him in the face while he tries to shake you off). Archers get no such things, sorry archers. Well, sometimes you can use them to cheese encounters, I won't say which ones, I guess that's cool.

If you want to unlock a specialization that requires you to do a bad thing, you can save before and reload once it's unlocked. This also goes for doing good things when you want to be a bad guy. It's not cheating, it's efficiency.

You can do any of the main quest objectives in any order, so don't sweat it.

Shale is great, do his quest as soon as possible. Um actually I don't know the level range on that area so it might not be successful right away. But keep trying because he can tank, DPS, or CC so he's pretty flexible.

If you end up in Denerim or Orzammar but want to leave and then get mad because the world map changed, there is a little button on the bottom of the world map that toggles which map you use in those areas.