PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age looks so retarded

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Bester
2009-11-06, 12:53 AM
You don't have to change the title, just put "Blood Splatter in" to the front of it.

Nim
2009-11-06, 12:58 AM
I must be some kinda of freak, because pausing every three seconds and micro'ing my party commands is one of the big sells for me. It's almost like a Squad TBS game, I even hope someone makes a mod that expands the party size.

Bester
2009-11-06, 1:19 AM
Yeah, I came into this game wanting something like an Infinity Engine game and I'm happy. As for the party size, I"m not sure. The party selection screen may be hard coded for four. All these years of trying and no one has ever been able to let you use more than six characters in BG2 and there are people who might just know as much about IE as the people who made the thing.

Mods that would be nice:
Larger font size. Having to play at 1440 does not make for the best screenshots
Larger Party, but we'll see.
Glori wants one to give the war dog a deeper "voice". Shouldn't be too hard to replace sound files.
Speaking of, I'm sure there will be plenty of people making custom soundsets for the game like they did for the IE games. This may be one reason the PC is silent. Hell, they may even offer professional soundpacks as DLC. How busy is Jim Cummings right now?
Some sort of "respec" item might be possible for those who want it.

But the first things we're likely to get would be nude mods and maybe a mod to add in a voice for the gather party confirmation just for the hell of it. Probably some texture replacements too to try to make things look better. Who knows how much of this might even show up before the mod tools. After all, there were Fallout 3 mods before its set came out.

Nim
2009-11-06, 1:49 AM
I remember one of the dev folks saying that the party limit in Dragon Age isn't hard coded like it was in the BG games, they just didn't add and any GUI assests to support it. Shouldn't be too hard to change that.

Tracker
2009-11-06, 2:11 AM
Wonder if I should just wait to get the game until 6 months from now when the tools are out and someone made a compilation mod that addresses the AI and things that people like Sprint are talking about.

This is my plan, as well. I'll wait for a GOTY edition that comes with all of the content, fixes, and expansions,

Nim
2009-11-06, 2:19 AM

Wait, the guy for the Warden's Keep DLC is still in the game even if you haven't bought the content? He hangs around your camp pestering you to buy the DLC? Really?

Drascus
2009-11-06, 2:21 AM
The first line from the Gray Warden guy is fucking hilarious.

But yeah, that seems pretty um... I dunno, grasping of them?

Bester
2009-11-06, 2:24 AM
The hell? I know fable 2 did this with their DLC, but they at least made you download a "starter" pack of the DLC to get the person.

Anyone want to try disabling their DLC and see exactly what the guy says?

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-06, 2:26 AM
You're not pestered by anything. He's just in your camp. If you want to do his quest, you can download the DLC right there. Sheesh.

Nim
2009-11-06, 2:28 AM
You're not pestered by anything. He's just in your camp. If you want to do his quest, you can download the DLC right there. Sheesh.

Oh I'm not mad. I think it's pretty fucking funny, and clearly so do they. Hence the comic.

I love Bioware and will gladly shovel cash down their gaping maw for years to come as they doll out more content for this game.

Edit: You can DL the content while standing right there and then jump into the quest line without restarting or anything? That's pretty slick.

Decius
2009-11-06, 2:49 AM
I remember one of the dev folks saying that the party limit in Dragon Age isn't hard coded like it was in the BG games, they just didn't add and any GUI assests to support it. Shouldn't be too hard to change that.

That would be great. WoW made me so accustomed to 5-man-parties that I always miss a slot to add either a second tank/melee dps or a second Mage.

Nim
2009-11-06, 3:05 AM
Is it just me or are rogues kinda crap? Mages seem better in pretty much every way, only they can't open locked chests.

boogada
2009-11-06, 4:00 AM
I'd also like this game to have a 5 man party, I'd also like if you could do something to reset your skill selections.

Yes, I want single player WoW. Damn.

Gideon
2009-11-06, 7:48 AM
I'd rather it was true real time or turn based, the massive amount of pausing required bores me to tears.

At the worst you aren't hitting the space bar any more than you would in a true turn based game where space is "end turn."

There, now you can enjoy the game again. You're welcome.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-06, 7:49 AM
I'm playing a Dwarf Warrior its been really fun so far, storyline alone this game has been worth the money.

Jarp Habib
2009-11-06, 8:03 AM
OK so I just found out that disturbing graves can be a BAD THING.

Undead beasty popped out, I attacked, it fought back a little bit, I got it down to about ...98% health, and it rears back with its sword and wipes out my entire party in one blow. Ow.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 8:12 AM
Wonder if I should just wait to get the game until 6 months from now when the tools are out and someone made a compilation mod that addresses the AI and things that people like Sprint are talking about.
The AI is great. You can customize AI behavior to a ludicrous amount. Everything that Sprint is talking is the same stuff that everybody loves about the game. It sucks that Sprint doesn't like it but it just sounds like it's not his kind of game, not that there's anything wrong with it.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 8:20 AM
Is it just me or are rogues kinda crap? Mages seem better in pretty much every way, only they can't open locked chests.I'm playing a rogue and so far it's useful because I'm not as fragile as a mage, I can enter melee with my other melee classes, I can help stun/debuff people, and I can deal a lot of damage.

The game seems to support a variety of party combinations and maybe at the end of the day mages are a little OP, but as it is I don't regret choosing rogue at all.

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-06, 8:25 AM
I hear this game has a lot of text. I really like text so is this a game I'd enjoy?

Alymon
2009-11-06, 8:32 AM
I'm playing a rogue and so far it's useful because I'm not as fragile as a mage, I can enter melee with my other melee classes, I can help stun/debuff people, and I can deal a lot of damage.

The game seems to support a variety of party combinations and maybe at the end of the day mages are a little OP, but as it is I don't regret choosing rogue at all.

I'm doing ok as a rogue. Poison is my friend. I'm also dual wielding.

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 8:36 AM
But I don't like how the combat works. So making it easier doesn't solve anything. It just means I win the combats automatically, it doesn't make me enjoy them.

I'd rather it was true real time or turn based, the massive amount of pausing required bores me to tears.
You're bored, and yet you'd prefer turn-based to make it slower?

Anyway, I have loved the pause mechanic since the first Baldur's Gate. Needless to say my feelings on this are the opposite of yours.

Human
2009-11-06, 8:43 AM
My boyfriend wants to play this game very, very badly. Little does he know that once he's done Baldur's Gate 2 is coming out of the box to press the advantage.

Sam
2009-11-06, 8:55 AM
Is it just me or are rogues kinda crap? Mages seem better in pretty much every way, only they can't open locked chests.
Not the rogue's fault. Mage might need to be toned back a little.

Matt
2009-11-06, 8:57 AM
Edit: You can DL the content while standing right there and then jump into the quest line without restarting or anything? That's pretty slick.

No. I selected buy the DLC just to see what it would do (I was never going to buy it) and it saved my game and asked me if I really wanted to exit to get it. I think it's pretty tacky of them to basically sneak an ad for their DLC in the game as a NPC but I can also see the humor in it and I'm not going to let it ruin the game for me or anything. But I basically had the same initial reaction as the guy in the comic. If you don't have the DLC the guy will tell you all about this interesting sounding quest and you can ask him all sorts of questions about it. It's only when you're like "sounds cool I'll help you!" that he asks you for your CC number.

I'm playing as a mage right now on normal difficulty (so FF is off but cone of cold still freezes my allies for some reason?) and I'm pretty much tearing shit up.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-06, 8:58 AM
I wonder if they used Jeremy Soule to do the music in this game, because I know they used him in the Baldur's Gate games.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 9:00 AM
I don't regret choosing rogue myself. She may be a little less versatile, but Dirty Fighting and Below the Belt are some nice utility debuffs, and her damage with the bow and the sword aren't THAT bad.

Tho I was trying to make her a pure archer and mostly gave up. I wish the archery skills were a bit more robust.

Alymon
2009-11-06, 9:01 AM
No. I selected buy the DLC just to see what it would do (I was never going to buy it) and it saved my game and asked me if I really wanted to exit to get it. I think it's pretty tacky of them to basically sneak an ad for their DLC in the game as a NPC but I can also see the humor in it and I'm not going to let it ruin the game for me or anything. But I basically had the same initial reaction as the guy in the comic. If you don't have the DLC the guy will tell you all about this interesting sounding quest and you can ask him all sorts of questions about it. It's only when you're like "sounds cool I'll help you!" that he asks you for your CC number.

I actually though this was a nicer and more immersive way of doing it. However, I didn't know that it saves and exits your game when you buy it.

It's a little sneaky, but they do say on the dialogue option right there "buy DLC" so you know if you select that option you are being taken to buy the DLC.

It is kind of nice to get a description of the content in the context of the game instead of having to go to the guide menu and read a paragraph about it there.

Divi Filius
2009-11-06, 9:32 AM
I wonder if they used Jeremy Soule to do the music in this game, because I know they used him in the Baldur's Gate games.
WRONG, ASSHOLE.

Michael Hoenig did the scores for Baldur's Gate I and II. Jeremy Soule did the Icewind Dale series, and also Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (but who cares?). Fuck you foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 9:40 AM
The pause mechanic annoys me because there's no way to queue up commands. Do if you have any ai tactics on your dude at all, there's an excellent chance he blew the ability you needed to stun that ai caster or whatever on some low hp scrub. Basically massive amounts of incredibly fine micromanagement
beats the hell out of any degree of pre-programmed tactics, leading to you staring at an immobile screen for the vast majority of the game.

There's also a lot of problems with ranged combat (blocked Los/loe that you can't see will be a problem until your dude has been sitting there uselessly shooting arrows into a fence he should be able to shoot through for several seconds, gimp bow damage, etc ) .

Meh. I am glad you all like it but I think you're crazy.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 9:45 AM
Do if you have any ai tactics on your dude at all, there's an excellent chance he blew the ability you needed to stun that ai caster or whatever on some low hp scrub. The default tactics for a lot of characters so far are mostly "use stun moves right away," which isn't a bad strategy all things considered to start a fight. However, I have turned them off because I want to be able to time those things better.

That said, the tactics screen is very detailed and it's easy to customize or just disable it entirely.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 9:56 AM
Disabling it entirely exacerbates my complaints one zillion fold. What I would like is a couple of hotbar slots right on their icon in the upper left so
you can access your favorite abilities for each character without having to select them. Or a universal, partywide hotbar. If you're not constantly pausing, hitting stuff on cooldown as fast as you can, youre basically going to lose.

And I'm sorry, a massive immob trap on a piece of terrain you have to through combined with an aoe knockdown plus 3/4 damage to you entire party before you get any decent heals is just dick encounter design. It's like if I actually did all the stuff I say I do in d&d.

Games that make a tpw extremely frequent are not my thing ...

Xyzandra
2009-11-06, 10:10 AM
My copy has arrived. On "launch" day! Yay for amazon!

Jarp Habib
2009-11-06, 10:15 AM
I'm playing as a mage right now on normal difficulty (so FF is off but cone of cold still freezes my allies for some reason?) and I'm pretty much tearing shit up.

I don't know if things are different on your Exboxen, but on the PC you still do friendly fire damage on Normal difficulty, it's just halved. No FF is Easy mode.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 10:15 AM
If you're not constantly pausing, hitting stuff on cooldown as fast as you can, youre basically going to lose.

Not true, at least in my experience. Spamming abilities just means you blow all of your mana/stamina and can't perform critical abilities later in the fight.

A partywide hotbar might be nice. At the very least, I'd like the ability to assign potions to the same button for all of my characters. However, a lot of abilities still require you to position the character, so you need to select them anyway.

Alymon
2009-11-06, 10:19 AM
I don't know if things are different on your Exboxen, but on the PC you still do friendly fire damage on Normal difficulty, it's just halved. No FF is Easy mode.

I think on Normal there's no FF on the xbox 360. It was the deciding factor for me bumping it up to hard.

Jarp Habib
2009-11-06, 10:22 AM
I think on Normal there's no FF on the xbox 360. It was the deciding factor for me bumping it up to hard.

Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Oh yeah, screeny goodness:

Killing ogres is women's work.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_e8EphcK7Z7c/SvRMhSy3tLI/AAAAAAAAAU0/pnkRc8rruaA/s912/Screenshot20091106002345920.jpg

dane
2009-11-06, 10:25 AM
sweet. we should get some more screenies going on, i'm too poor to buy the game just yet so i've gotta take what Dragon Age goodness i can get.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 10:27 AM
How bout that no confirmation if you're backstabbing, no notification that someone is low on health besides the small, dim health bar, the cheerful willingness of your dudes to throw ranged attacks - forever - at enemies they can't hit?

UI falls down all over the place. You have to pause the game even when you don't want to give orders just to check on how people are doing.

The only valuable resource in the game is player attention. I find it exhausting and tedious to control my little squad of poorly animated morons. And with that I think Im done hitting the thread, sorry bout that, hope you all enjoy it.

The Dude
2009-11-06, 10:30 AM
In JRPGs girls stay in the back and cast spells.

Jay
2009-11-06, 10:30 AM
Normal can be kinda rough at times. I'm doing the quest immediately before the joining where you go out and grab dark spawn blood, and I kept getting amubushed by all these baddies and some evil mage dude. So I actually had to think about shit like terrain and positioning the archer dude in my party and separating this group from that group and it was pretty cool!

Jay
2009-11-06, 10:33 AM
How bout that no confirmation if you're backstabbing, no notification that someone is low on health besides the small, dim health bar, the cheerful willingness of your dudes to throw ranged attacks - forever - at enemies they can't hit?

UI falls down all over the place. You have to pause the game even when you don't want to give orders just to check on how people are doing.

The only valuable resource in the game is player attention. I find it exhausting and tedious to control my little squad of poorly animated morons. And with that I think Im done hitting the thread, sorry bout that, hope you all enjoy it.

You're throwing in the towel on the game for good? That seems a shame. Can I ask how long you played it?

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 10:34 AM
How bout that no confirmation if you're backstabbingThe numbers are bigger I thought.
no notification that someone is low on health besides the small, dim health barI agree with this. I'd like to see their portrait flash or something. That said, I've found that once you get used to watching health, it's not a concern.
the cheerful willingness of your dudes to throw ranged attacks - forever - at enemies they can't hit?I've never had this problem but, again, I am only a few hours in and only have one ranged character.

UI falls down all over the place. You have to pause the game even when you don't want to give orders just to check on how people are doing. It's a tactical fantasy RPG. If you don't like micromanaging a squad of people, then yeah, this is not your game.

Jay
2009-11-06, 10:37 AM
In JRPGs girls stay in the back and cast spells.

In JRPGs this is the only way of knowing which of the characters in your party is actually female.

Sydney Carton
2009-11-06, 10:57 AM
The numbers are bigger I thought.

The animations are different, at least for one-handed weapons. When you're Backstabbing an opponent your attacks become stabs and jabs instead of the usual slashes and swings. They count as crits so the numbers are larger, but there's no "Backstab!" alert or anything when you hit.
I've never had this problem but, again, I am only a few hours in and only have one ranged character.

If you've got ranged characters on "Hold Position" and order them to attack a target, usually they do try to find an angle to attack from but they sometimes do stand somewhere with the environment in the way and they'll generate a lot of "Blocked" messages. Generally you can just order them to move manually to a better spot then resume attacking.

Bester
2009-11-06, 11:00 AM
Which is odd because the little flash game has notification for backstab and flanking damage.

Alymon
2009-11-06, 11:09 AM
I turned the brightness up on the game so that the health bars were easier to see. Also, I'm pretty sure the portrait (or at least the health bar) does flash a little when you are low on health (on the 360 version).

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 11:13 AM
I love the periodic killing moves like chopping someone's head off.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 11:13 AM
I turned the brightness up on the game so that the health bars were easier to see. Also, I'm pretty sure the portrait (or at least the health bar) does flash a little when you are low on health (on the 360 version).
I think it flashes if you drop below half health but I do not know if it flashes after that.

Alymon
2009-11-06, 11:26 AM
I think it flashes if you drop below half health but I do not know if it flashes after that.

I thought it was a continual flashing. I'll check at lunch.

Matt
2009-11-06, 11:28 AM

Aha so that's why everyone here is playing with FF on. I was confused thinking that everyone was playing on hard.

For my part I'm kind of glad that I'm playing a mage and have FF off. I beat the Redcliffe part last night and so far I haven't had to micromanage my dudes at all. I just sit in the back and throw out AOEs or heals as the situation warrants. I think I'd dislike this game almost as much as Sprint if I had to keep changing back and forth between dudes in battle cause the interface seems pretty clunky for that.

Divi Filius
2009-11-06, 11:39 AM
It's just like Baldur's Gate, except your dudes don't die forever when they get knocked down to 0. I love it. No complaints.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 11:40 AM
While Normal difficulty was fun for a while, I have to admit that Easy's a lot more enjoyable for me too. It's not a complete pushover even so, and the magic system is annoying in that pretty much EVERY AE is friendly fire otherwise. I can set up some gambits and let my dudes go to town, and pause and do some tactics when I feel like it or on slightly harder battles, and I do just fine.

Wolfgang
2009-11-06, 11:43 AM
Haha, you just called them gambits.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 11:44 AM
except your dudes don't die forever when they get knocked down to 0.
The injury mechanic, i.e. suffering semi-permanent disabilities if you get knocked out, is such a good idea. I have no idea why no other game has done that (to my knowledge).

Bester
2009-11-06, 11:46 AM
The Fallout games let you get damage to certain body parts, but it wasn't from getting knocked out.

Gideon
2009-11-06, 11:46 AM
I can't imagine how brutal a game would have to be to make me play on Easy. Knowing I was on easy would make me feel so lame it would stop me from having fun.

I'm not judging you here, mind you, I'm judging me.

Danimo
2009-11-06, 11:47 AM
so is this game more like Baldur's Gate or KOTOR? I played both; I loved KOTOR but Baldur's Gate got somewhat tedious (also did not like the D&D system).

Sprint
I was never able to beat Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 because I loathed the combat in those, as well, so I guess I have no one to blame for wasting $50 but myself.

Tortuga Bañana
I don't think it's even a matter of difficulty. Normal requires party management. Easy seems to still be engaging if you just want to let the AI do whatever and only control your guy.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 11:48 AM
Haha, you just called them gambits.

They pretty much are gambits tho. >:[

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 11:49 AM
so is this game more like Baldur's Gate or KOTOR? I played both; I loved KOTOR but Baldur's Gate got somewhat tedious (also did not like the D&D system).probably more like BG in spirit (combat is involved, challenging party management is required at normal difficulty or above), but it's not really direct comparable to either IMO. Combat system is ten million times better than clunky D&D rulesets, though.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 11:51 AM
I have no way of knowing that, because the game came with no manual, yay digital distribution!

Lapak
2009-11-06, 11:51 AM
The injury mechanic, i.e. suffering semi-permanent disabilities if you get knocked out, is such a good idea. I have no idea why no other game has done that (to my knowledge).I suspect a large part of it is fear of a death-spiral effect, where your party is so chewed up when they arrive at the end of the story that it's all but impossible to finish the game. I don't have this game and have no idea how permanent 'semi-permanent' is, though.

Colossal
2009-11-06, 11:54 AM
I don't have this game and have no idea how permanent 'semi-permanent' is, though.Basically until the immediate area is clear of enemies.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 11:55 AM
You can use injury kits to clear off the injuries earlier too. And I've found the injuries last far beyond "the immediate area" myself.

Divi Filius
2009-11-06, 11:58 AM
The injury mechanic, i.e. suffering semi-permanent disabilities if you get knocked out, is such a good idea. I have no idea why no other game has done that (to my knowledge).
Wait, is that happening to my party? Alistair gets knocked out all the time. I thought he could just get back up and dust himself off and he'd be back to normal. Is he actually covered in injuries I don't know about?

FearTheKirby
2009-11-06, 11:59 AM

The closest thing to it would probably be Aion, because when you die in it you have injured experience and you have to pay a Soul Healer to remove it. Just like you have to buy those injury healer scrolls. But also this kind of reminds me of Halo ODST's Firefight, just cause if the rest of your party dies but you still have one left that manages to finish off the last of the enemies your characters are brought right back to life.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 12:00 PM
Probably. If you check his action bar down at the bottom of the screen when he's selected, it should show his debuffs. If he has a bunch of red icons down there, those are injuries that need to be cleared off.

Matt
2009-11-06, 12:03 PM
I can't imagine how brutal a game would have to be to make me play on Easy. Knowing I was on easy would make me feel so lame it would stop me from having fun.

I'm not judging you here, mind you, I'm judging me.

Get the 360 version then where the Normal is apparently PC Easy because contards.

Divi Filius
2009-11-06, 12:09 PM
Hey, do I have to suck Alistair off to get him to teach me his Templar ways? Because I'll do it.

CyanideRush
2009-11-06, 12:14 PM
Hey, do I have to suck Alistair off to get him to teach me his Templar ways? Because I'll do it.

Then you best get to sucking. :whistling (|=====8

Striker
2009-11-06, 12:14 PM

Drakensang did it. It's a pretty good idea.

Also, probably a question that's been asked before (huge thread...), but...is there ever going to be an actual demo of this? I'm not sure how well it'd run on my computer, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I'll have to spend even more money on to enjoy...:P

Yunara
2009-11-06, 12:16 PM

That seems to be my goal anyways, so I'll let you know ;) jk.

I do plan on making my character gay. I don't know anything about forming relationships or if it's even possible. I'm just generally being nice to guys and indifferent to girls unless they have something that needs my attention.

What I mean is that I'll ask guys where they are from, and chat with them, but from girls I generally only help them if they need it or talk about stuff I need to know.

I only just met Alistar when I stopped playing however, so I'm still really early.

Also, Sprint hates the game, news at 11.

AKBoarder
2009-11-06, 12:38 PM
There are both male and female bisexual characters in the game, so it is possible to have both male and female same-sex relationships.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-06, 12:45 PM
Forgot to mention (you can blame Brutal Legend for this) I named my Dwarf Warrior Ormagöden.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 12:46 PM
I have no way of knowing that, because the game came with no manual, yay digital distribution!
Game manuals are for cavemen.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 12:47 PM
Good thing they explain all the various statistics on weapons etc in mouseovers

Oh wait, they don't.

CyanideRush
2009-11-06, 12:48 PM
Forgot to mention (you can blame Brutal Legend for this) I named my Dwarf Warrior Ormagöden.

Brutal Legend is such a bad ass, metal face game. I really need to finish it.

Alymon
2009-11-06, 12:55 PM
Ok, so it doesn't appear that the health flashes at low values. The flashing is the character portrait and it flashes red when that character gets hit.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 1:03 PM
Link to non-rotten-teeth mod:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age/Dragon-Age-Origins-General-Discussion/Are-there-no-dentists-in-Ferelden-104767-1.html

Matt
2009-11-06, 1:08 PM
On the 360 version it looks like the people have a wooden block in their mouths where their upper teeth should be.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 1:10 PM
On the PC version it looks like their teeth are broken, rotten, wooden pegs.

Divi Filius
2009-11-06, 1:13 PM
Just like back home. I wonder why that bothers me so much.

Wage
2009-11-06, 1:22 PM
I was never able to beat Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 because I loathed the combat in those, as well, so I guess I have no one to blame for wasting $50 but myself.

Seriously? What the hell are you doing even looking at RPGs, then?

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 1:25 PM
I never played BG1 or 2 for more than an hour or so because I do not like isometric RPGs, to say nothing of isometric RPGs built from the framework of clunky, dated tabletop systems. I still love RPGs. I've just been waiting for RPGs to start loving me back. God bless BioWare.

Salo
2009-11-06, 1:27 PM
I've noticed that the game takes automatic screen shots from time to time, does anyone know where they are saved?

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 1:27 PM
I've noticed that the game takes automatic screen shots from time to time, does anyone know where they are saved?
my documents/bioware/dragon age/screenshots or something like that. You can also access them in your player profile from the menu.

Salo
2009-11-06, 1:29 PM
Thanks, man!

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 1:33 PM
Also, probably a question that's been asked before (huge thread...), but...is there ever going to be an actual demo of this? I'm not sure how well it'd run on my computer, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I'll have to spend even more money on to enjoy...:P
There are no plans for a demo. Watching video reviews is the closest you'll get.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 1:37 PM
If the character creator is still up, you could always try downloading and using that and seeing if it causes any major issues with your computer.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 1:37 PM
Seriously? What the hell are you doing even looking at RPGs, then?

Eat a dick. I've beaten tons of RPG's.

Striker
2009-11-06, 1:53 PM
If the character creator is still up, you could always try downloading and using that and seeing if it causes any major issues with your computer.

I did that, it runs smoothly. Of course, it's just a single character model with no notable background features or effects...

Squigit
2009-11-06, 1:55 PM

Just to add to another game that at least kind of did this, was Breath of Fire 3. If knocked out, your party members could be healed camping anywhere or being revived on the world map, but they'd be at a lower max HP. You'd have to make it back to an inn somewhere to fix the max HP penalty.

Wage
2009-11-06, 1:58 PM
I never played BG1 or 2 for more than an hour or so because I do not like isometric RPGs, to say nothing of isometric RPGs built from the framework of clunky, dated tabletop systems. I still love RPGs. I've just been waiting for RPGs to start loving me back. God bless BioWare.

Well, in fairness if I were to pick up BG 1 or 2 today to play for the first time, I'd probably feel the same way. When they came out, though, they certainly didn't feel dated and were quite fun.

@Sprint: sorry, that probably came off harshly. But it does seem from most of your complaints, that you don't really like most RPGs.

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 1:59 PM
I did that, it runs smoothly. Of course, it's just a single character model with no notable background features or effects...
For whatever my opinion is worth, I think the game is pretty fucking awesome.

Jay
2009-11-06, 2:00 PM
Stuck at work, wanna go home and plaaaaay.
My dog is the best character in the game thus far.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 2:01 PM
@Sprint: sorry, that probably came off harshly. But it does seem from most of your complaints, that you don't really like most RPGs.

I hate Japanese RPG's, having been able to stomach completing only one (Skies of Arcadia).

Western RPG's, I've been playing since Ultima I.

Edit: dog rocks

Striker
2009-11-06, 2:01 PM
For whatever my opinion is worth, I think the game is pretty fucking awesome.

I'm pretty sure it is. Everything I've seen so far looks good. I just want to know how well it'll run on my machine :P.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 2:02 PM
The dog is cool. I like to use him to harass annoying archers.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 2:04 PM
The next DA flash game needs to be about the dog.

Make Barkspawn his canon name.

Call it Dragon Age: Journeys: Barkspawn: The Barkening.

FearTheKirby
2009-11-06, 2:05 PM
This (http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Dragon-Age-Origins-Toolset-Released) looks pretty awesome!

Archangel3d
2009-11-06, 2:08 PM
I feel bad because I haven't used my dog since I'm a two-blade Warrior and I have Alistair with sword-and-board, so I need a rogue/ranged and a healer/mage to round things out, tactically speaking.

Should I replace Alistair? Seems like it would limit the dialogue options, plus Alistair's more resistant and has more abilities. If only I could re-spec to Shield style for my main character, I'd gladly bring the Dog instead.

Heck, my next playthrough I'll make a Rogue or Mage and run with the Dog 24/7

Brondolfr
2009-11-06, 2:12 PM
The dog is great but I replaced him with the crazy red headed chick. I regret this decision because she is the worst archer ever and always runs into and switches to daggers. No matter how I set her tactics.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 2:14 PM
She is the best archer ever. Which is the worst archer ever. Because archery in DA is busted.

Archangel3d
2009-11-06, 2:22 PM
This (http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Dragon-Age-Origins-Toolset-Released) looks pretty awesome!

Wooooo editor. There goes my weekend

Colossal
2009-11-06, 2:24 PM
She is the best archer ever. Which is the worst archer ever. Because archery in DA is busted.Pretty much. Since I'm not very far into the game yet, I'm probably going to start over since I made the mistake of using two of my human noble rogue's skill points on archery.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 2:26 PM
I used a point in archery for my rogue. It's the "ranged immobilization" to keep the *&%^^$^#$#@!#^%$@!#%#$!#^@!#$@!#$!@#$!@!#!@ monsters from running away.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-06, 2:27 PM
At 3am last night, I got passed the Deep Roads. What a fucking brutal dungeon towards the end.

Colossal
2009-11-06, 2:34 PM
I used a point in archery for my rogue. It's the "ranged immobilization" to keep the *&%^^$^#$#@!#^%$@!#%#$!#^@!#$@!#$!@#$!@!#!@ monsters from running away.I probably wouldn't be thinking of starting over if I had taken that one. Instead I made the mistake of getting the Combat Archery skill and the one that follows in the same line (Aim, I think; the one that boosts damage and armor penetration but reduces firing rate).

When I start over, I may take the ranged immobilizer, but THAT IS IT.

boogada
2009-11-06, 2:34 PM
Archery is working fine for me, but it probably would be better to just have another mage. The ranger animal summon ability are pretty nice, too. The bear can take a lot of punishment.

Trax
2009-11-06, 2:38 PM
Did anyone else name their dog Seymour?

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 2:44 PM
I hate Japanese RPG's, having been able to stomach completing only one (Skies of Arcadia).

Western RPG's, I've been playing since Ultima I.

Edit: dog rocks
This might be Geek Heresy but unseen random encounters, especially ones as frequent as they were in Skies of Arcadia, drive me bonkers. I couldn't get through that game because of it.

Yunara
2009-11-06, 2:45 PM
I don't get how everyone always has hardons for dogs in games like this. Honestly I don't get it.

These games try to give me a dog, and all I can think of is "how do I get it to stay.....like.... permanently."

I much rather have a human companion over any animal.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 2:45 PM
This might be Geek Heresy but unseen random encounters, especially ones as frequent as they were in Skies of Arcadia, drive me bonkers. I couldn't get through that game because of it.

I hated them. Hated it. Horrible. Only reason I was able to tolerate it was my characters got so uber I was able to destroy everything on screen in two turns max for anything that wasn't a major encounter.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 2:48 PM
I don't get how everyone always has hardons for dogs in games like this. Honestly I don't get it.

These games try to give me a dog, and all I can think of is "how do I get it to stay.....like.... permanently."

Sweet! You can keep the dog out of your party then.

I'll just be over here.

Being awesome.

With my awesome dog. :cloud9:

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 2:49 PM

I assume it's a dog lover thing. I love the big guy too, and I love dogs in general.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-06, 2:49 PM
DOGGIE IS AWESOME

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 2:51 PM
well I'm sure as hell not swapping out the dog for Lelliana or whatever and I passed up Sten. Morrigan's probably first to be replaced and then after that MAYBE I'll switch out the dog.

Divi Filius
2009-11-06, 2:53 PM
I only like him for the reactions other NPCs have towards him. Digital dogs are always wrong, no matter what. I say this authoritatively as a man who was a boy raised among wolves.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-06, 2:53 PM
I'm sticking with Alistair, Morrigan, and Sgt. Scruffles. All other NPCs I've ran across have been utterly worthless in comparison.

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 2:54 PM
I feel bad because I haven't used my dog since I'm a two-blade Warrior and I have Alistair with sword-and-board, so I need a rogue/ranged and a healer/mage to round things out, tactically speaking.

Should I replace Alistair? Seems like it would limit the dialogue options, plus Alistair's more resistant and has more abilities. If only I could re-spec to Shield style for my main character, I'd gladly bring the Dog instead.

Heck, my next playthrough I'll make a Rogue or Mage and run with the Dog 24/7
I figure Alistair will be the first to get dropped from my party since I'm a sword & board warrior.

Kaete

Dogs don't have annoying or repetitive dialogue that occasionally accompanies human companions in games, though. Sounds like you can switch it out for different party members once you get enough people anyway.

Dogs are the symbol of ultimate loyalty, are a naturally silent companion so it does not feel strange if they just follow silently, and are visually appealing to the part of our brain that likes furry things with big head and big eyes.

I can understand why someone wouldn't like dog characters, but not why it would be so mystifying that most people do like dogs in such adventurous games.

Trax
I want to replace Morrigan as well, she seems to dislike everything I do..so although she's voiced by Claudia Black, I'm going to have to go visit the Circle of Magi or something and get some other mage who won't bitch about me doing good deeds.

Jobrill
Yeah, Morrigan's sort of an asshole, so I've replaced her with Wynne. I will probably go do the stone golem DLC next, and I have to admit said giant stone golem MIGHT be awesome enough to replace the dog, though I am still pretty torn about that, to be honest.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-06, 2:55 PM
I am not a dog person, and would much rather have a big magic tiger or cheetah or something, Some kind of wonder cat, but I am going to have a kickass dog in this game.

Which I am buying in like an hour and a half.

Jobrill
In Morrigan's defense though, she will probably be a lot more fun to play with when I do another playthrough with an asshole character who hates everything just like her. >_>

Striker
Okay...found out that my computer should be able to run it decently, so I bought it on Steam...

And I can't download it.

Whenever I try, I get a 'Your Steam ticket has expired' message, prompting me to enter my password again. I do that, the box goes away, but no downloading happens. When I try to DL again...same message.

Jamster
2009-11-06, 2:58 PM
Odd, I got that buying a game recently but it only came up once and worked. There is however a new steam client update do download that and it might work (in your file menu).

Trax
2009-11-06, 3:03 PM
Did anyone get the Golem yet? How good is it?

Bester
2009-11-06, 3:05 PM
For anyone wanting a manual:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17450/
Look on the right and click on view manual. You can find any manual for any game on steam this way even if you didn't buy the game from steam.

Just about finished rereading Turn Coat so put me down for someone else who is calling the dog Mouse in at least one game.

frobbnik
2009-11-06, 3:07 PM
Okay...found out that my computer should be able to run it decently, so I bought it on Steam...

And I can't download it.

Whenever I try, I get a 'Your Steam ticket has expired' message, prompting me to enter my password again. I do that, the box goes away, but no downloading happens. When I try to DL again...same message.

as the man said, your client needs to be patched.

also, clear out your IE cookies and cache.

CyanideRush
2009-11-06, 3:09 PM
Did anyone get the Golem yet? How good is it?

Do you mean Shale? He's fucking awesome. He's the HK-47 of the game. You could be in the most tense dialog encounter and he makes snarky comments, meanwhile the whole group just looks at him funny.

You need him.

Yunara
2009-11-06, 3:11 PM
Dogs don't have annoying or repetitive dialogue that occasionally accompanies human companions in games, though. Sounds like you can switch it out for different party members once you get enough people anyway.

Dogs are the symbol of ultimate loyalty, are a naturally silent companion so it does not feel strange if they just follow silently, and are visually appealing to the part of our brain that likes furry things with big head and big eyes.

See... Instead of repeatitive dialogue, you get repetitive whining, growling or barking. The dogs are rarely "silent" which is part of why I hate them.

Striker
2009-11-06, 3:11 PM
as the man said, your client needs to be patched.

also, clear out your IE cookies and cache.

Client is patched, problem persists. Also, I haven't used IE in ages.

Sprint
2009-11-06, 3:12 PM
For anyone wanting a manual:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17450/
Look on the right and click on view manual. You can find any manual for any game on steam this way even if you didn't buy the game from steam.

Just about finished rereading Turn Coat so put me down for someone else who is calling the dog Mouse in at least one game.

Link no workie

Edit: link only workie in IE

Striker
2009-11-06, 3:20 PM
Odd, I got that buying a game recently but it only came up once and worked. There is however a new steam client update do download that and it might work (in your file menu).

I looked at the Steam forums...apparently there's been a few others with this problem.

One workaround is to delete 'clientregistry.blob' in your Steam folder and restart. Works fine now, depressingly slow download though :P.

Yunara
2009-11-06, 3:28 PM
Has anyone discovered any Spell Combinations yet?

Jay
2009-11-06, 3:28 PM
I love dogs in general, so a big, loyal, tail wagging killer is just awesome for me.

Archangel3d
2009-11-06, 3:48 PM
Has anyone discovered any Spell Combinations yet?

Freeze effect (Cone of Cold, Icy Grasp, etc) + Stone Fist
or
Freeze effect + Cripple (from Two-weapon fighting, or other attacks that automatically cause a critical hit)

These will cause a big awesome SHATTERED effect, which is apparently an auto kill.

Jobrill
2009-11-06, 3:55 PM
Another observation on the dog thing, as I am now a single bachelor with a full time day job, I do not have the time and energy for a dog of my own. Being as this is the first time in my life that I have not had a pet dog, I'm missing having one something fierce, so even a well done fake dog reduces to me to "AWWWWWPUPPYSOCUTE" Mode.

Yunara
2009-11-06, 4:13 PM
Freeze effect (Cone of Cold, Icy Grasp, etc) + Stone Fist
or
Freeze effect + Cripple (from Two-weapon fighting, or other attacks that automatically cause a critical hit)

These will cause a big awesome SHATTERED effect, which is apparently an auto kill.

are these actual spell combinations, or just combos that work well together. Because frozen or petrified people are generally vulnerable to shattering to begin with.

Gideon
2009-11-06, 4:20 PM
I know grease+fireball is listed as a spell combo. That more to your fancy?

Yunara
2009-11-06, 4:27 PM
Well I'm wondering for the Codex, there are 10 or so entries, one for each spell combination, so I'm wondering if these are them, or just spells that key off each other.

Archangel3d
2009-11-06, 4:48 PM
Well I'm wondering for the Codex, there are 10 or so entries, one for each spell combination, so I'm wondering if these are them, or just spells that key off each other.

It gives you a special particle effect, sound effect, big ol' "SHATTERED" on your screen in red letters and a Codex entry when you pull off your first Freeze + AutoCritAttack/Stone Fist combo, so I'd say yes.

Galyn
2009-11-06, 4:49 PM
Dog should not take up a party slot.

Bester
2009-11-06, 4:54 PM
Well, the tools are out now so if the talk is right about the party size not being hard coded, that may be one of the first mods we get.

That or they'll charge us for it.

nekodeev
2009-11-06, 5:02 PM
Sleep + Horror is a fun combination spell, hell sleep is a pretty awesome spell in this game.

Killjoy
2009-11-06, 5:09 PM
Dog should not take up a party slot.
Er, why? That would throw off the combat balance. He's a pretty effective fighter.

Bester
2009-11-06, 5:20 PM
Er, why? That would throw off the combat balance. He's a pretty effective fighter.
Yeah, this isn't like the familiars in BGII. I know I cheated to make my cat a bad ass vampire slayer/uber thief, but normally, the thing would be dead in a few hits. "Mouse" is a great fighter and has a few great moves to disable people for a while. Plus you have the option to equip the dog with various things.

nekodeev
2009-11-06, 5:33 PM
Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to find some of the things you need to click sometimes? Like I think if I didn't habitually press tab to look for interactive objects I would have missed a bunch of stuff.

Jamster
2009-11-06, 6:25 PM
I looked at the Steam forums...apparently there's been a few others with this problem.

One workaround is to delete 'clientregistry.blob' in your Steam folder and restart. Works fine now, depressingly slow download though :P.

steamfix.bat worked then lol

Windansea
2009-11-06, 6:30 PM
Man, I am so saddened to hear that Archery is a bit of a bust for the game. I've been taking my rogue down the Archery path too ;_;

Archangel3d
2009-11-06, 6:54 PM
Bit of a technical issue. I'm trying to install the toolset, but the installer just hangs at 100% with an "Execute: regsvr32.exe blablabla". I can't even close the window or anything, it's just stuck there. It ain't doin' nuthin'

Halp?

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 6:55 PM
Bit of a technical issue. I'm trying to install the toolset, but the installer just hangs at 100% with an "Execute: regsvr32.exe blablabla". I can't even close the window or anything, it's just stuck there. It ain't doin' nuthin'

Halp?did you download the game through steam? There are some issues with installing the toolset with a steam release.

I am currently using this fix: http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Installation_with_Steam

That is not what you are going through I don't think, but try checking out the DA forums.

Nim
2009-11-06, 10:15 PM
Why does steam hate mods and DLC so much?

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-06, 10:49 PM
My DLC worked fine and most steam games work just fine with mods.

Melanchthon
2009-11-06, 11:08 PM
Gamestop-working buddy bought me a copy for early Christmas present. Yay! I can add the retail version of the game to my Steam list, right?

Also, just finished the prologue as an elf mage. I took the idealistic friends forever route and got fucked by karma. Jowan, WRYYYYYYYY?! :cry:

...on second thought, given Bioware's history I really should have seen it coming.

Melanchthon
2009-11-06, 11:12 PM
Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to find some of the things you need to click sometimes? Like I think if I didn't habitually press tab to look for interactive objects I would have missed a bunch of stuff.
Yeah, interactable objects really ought to sparkle like lootable ones do.

ZSquared
2009-11-06, 11:45 PM
It's convoluted. Best way: Go to http://social.bioware.com and register, OR use your EA account, whatever. Sign up for the social site first, then go back to STEAM.

Right click DA:O in STEAM, bring up CD keys. You will see this box:
*snip image*

The BOTTOM key is the actual Game key. The first two are for DLC.

On the Social site, under your profile, register your game. Now, the key as given by STEAM isn't formatted proper, yer gonna need to add a dash - every 4th digit, but whatevs. Register game, then also in yer profile hit Redeem Code. That'll be where you put the DLC codes. Also put your game key in there too, because for some reason when I did it it said Code Accepted so i dunno.

Close the game down if it was running, wait a tic and restart it. Your content will start downloading. I know it's dumb that you don't redeem codes directly through the game- there looks like there's an option to, but all it actually does is launch your browser and take you to the Bioware page.

Ok, maybe I've screwed something up, but I don't see that last CD Key, just the first two. Is there anything I need to do to get that one?

Yunara
2009-11-06, 11:54 PM

I'm glad to report that you don't actually have to go that far.
Alistair has offered to teach anyone I send to him the Templar ways, unlocking the Templar specialization. He's currently at an approval of +38 (warm) for me.

I did it when you first meet morrigan. I just spent some time going through all his dialogue. Basically just be sensitive to his pain, and ask about his history. I also discovered he's never licked a metal poll in the winter ;) (I asked him that since he was part of the Chantry, does that mean he's never.....)

NVB
2009-11-07, 12:04 AM
The soundtrack is fantastic for this game, really set the tone.

nekodeev
2009-11-07, 12:29 AM
Yeah, interactable objects really ought to sparkle like lootable ones do.

Spoilers for a mage specialization I don't know how you'd find the Arcane Warrior quest without going tab crazy, that's for sure

Jarp Habib
2009-11-07, 12:57 AM
Ok, maybe I've screwed something up, but I don't see that last CD Key, just the first two. Is there anything I need to do to get that one?

Apparently the latest STEAM update changed this. I have no idea why. I just checked myself, and I only have the two gift codes visible. They won't work for the actual game registration though. I have no idea why they'd have changed it.

As Yoda said, THERE IS ANOTHER! way to get it though that I stumbled across.

Doubleclick the title and when the dialog box pops up, choose "Launch DA:O's Launcher" instead of the game itself. This will bring up the main splash screen. Click Configure, and the confguration utility will start. Go to Game on the left navbar and your CD key is displayed in the info box. Finding that the other day was what clued me in that the last (now removed) number displayed by Steam was the actual game key, not another DLC key.

ZSquared
2009-11-07, 1:02 AM
Awesome, found it. Thank you!

Jay
2009-11-07, 1:28 AM
So yeah, on normal this game can get really rough.
Raiding that castle filled with undead in that one town. Something called a revanent basically kicked my ass pretty solidly.

bosskii
2009-11-07, 1:41 AM
Yeah, I just got back to back asskickings from a hermit near the Dalish and then some demons who didn't like me molesting a gravestone. My problem continues to be not being able to get my people out of the way in time before a bunch of AoE stuns or damage erupt and fuck me before I can even get started.

I went ahead and picked up the Warden's Keep DLC yesterday as well. I thought the story it gives does a lot to expand what being a Grey Warden has meant historically and has some decent fights to boot. I don't know that I can recommend it if you only plan to play through once, but if kind of like the lesser of the Fallout DLCs I see the value being there after multiple plays-through.

Xyzandra
2009-11-07, 1:57 AM
DAMN IT!

They keep moving the goalposts on dragon age journeys.

I play the game on hard so I can get the "complete the journey on hard" unlock and they change the requirement just as I finish the game.

And the new stuff isn't retroactive, so if I want to do the new replacement achievements I have to play the game again!

Jarp Habib
2009-11-07, 2:06 AM
So yeah, on normal this game can get really rough.
Raiding that castle filled with undead in that one town. Something called a revanent basically kicked my ass pretty solidly.

Yeeeeeep. The Revenants don't fuck around. I couldn't even DING one on easy mode with the party I had at the time- and the mad codger was a breeze in comparison. I got an idea I want to try though.

Xyzandra
2009-11-07, 2:30 AM
So is Warden's Keep worth buying

Jarp Habib
2009-11-07, 3:36 AM
It's a close call. I enjoyed it, it was well done, the story meshed well, I got cool stuff out of it. It was worth it for me to pay the extra for the collector's edition. If it was a smidge cheaper, I'd say go for it. As it is, it's up to you if you can afford the splurge.

After a dozen tries, I managed to kill a forest Revenant. Holy fuck. Even their little skel mobs are enough of a challenge that I can't just leave my dudes to whack away at 'em with no direction; and the Big Bad himself is tough enough to kill everybody in the party with one hit if I let my party drop to 3/4 health in close quarters. But I did it. I touched the tombstone and I RAN AWAY. Morrigan was the first to die. The fiend used his Pull on her and I abandoned her. She died quickly. The rest of the mob pursued the other three of us across the map until his group was all strung out. I then turned and left Alistair and Sten to their grisly fate at the hands of the towering undead murdermachine, while I led a few skels away to deal with them. Led the Big Bad, his lieutenant and a couple others away on another merry goose chase. Isolated another skel, killed it, repeat. When the Big Bad Skeletor was the only one left, and I'd left him in a corner of the map of his own, I went back and revived my party. Poor buggers, you shoulda seen how they staggered. RE-united the party, healed up, set a trap, and lured the big bad in to his eventual death with no repeat casualties (though an awful lot of health pots were consumed)

Goddamn. This is what each of these things is going to be like. Oh well. 2 down, 2 to go.

nekodeev
2009-11-07, 3:53 AM
Did you get a codex entry on what those fuckers actually are? There's a bunch of them around, the quest ones, and I've found a couple in ruins triggerable by touching a certain item.

Striker
2009-11-07, 3:53 AM
Why does steam hate mods and DLC so much?

It's not Steam hating DLC and mods. It's EA hating Steam.

Jarp Habib
2009-11-07, 4:40 AM
Did you get a codex entry on what those fuckers actually are? There's a bunch of them around, the quest ones, and I've found a couple in ruins triggerable by touching a certain item.

They don't have a codex entry of their own, which is a shame. They're listed at the bottom of the Skeleton entry.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-07, 6:43 AM
I got it last night, and I'm about three or four hours in, and the only complaint I have is that I pressed the wrong button and the dog is now named "Dog".

Also: I picked an Irish name for my dudes (as I always do in games), and it just happened that a lot of the other characters have Irish names; that was cool.

Rook
2009-11-07, 7:22 AM
Starting the game in... about an hour when it finishes downloading.

Any very basic tips to prevent me from making any catastrophic errors from the get-go? Anything I should absolutely not take? Or the opposite, things I must remember to take/do?

Striker
2009-11-07, 7:32 AM
Yeah, I'd be interested in some starting tips too. I started with a mage...

Another thing...while my worries about performance were utterly unfounded (looks gorgeous, plays smoothly), there's an odd issue with the sound. It sounds...tinny. Like...cheap-ass speakers, the kind they don't make anymore. It's like it's missing a whole range of frequencies...

The Lazarus
2009-11-07, 7:41 AM
I'm surprised at how much I enjoy the conversations with Wynne.

Matt
2009-11-07, 8:46 AM
Damn you can do some pretty evil shit in this game. I'm going through trying to be as much of a dick as possible but sometimes I just can't pull it off.

At least I was able to (Redcliffe end spoiler) kill a little kid when there were alternatives that would have saved his life.

Striker
2009-11-07, 11:20 AM
I just met my first giant spider in the mage prologue.

I think any serious arachnophobe would uninstall the game at this point :P.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-07, 11:29 AM
Party Recruitment Question

Is there a way to get Sten out of his gibbet without jacking the old priestess? Is it just a matter of leveling up Coerce? Because she almost seems like she's going to go for it.

Speedforce
2009-11-07, 11:48 AM

Is there a way to get Sten out of his gibbet without jacking the old priestess? Is it just a matter of leveling up Coerce? Because she almost seems like she's going to go for it.

I believe that you haveto make mention that you're a grey warden, and mention that its a way for him to atone. I can't exactly recall what the option to choose is, but it is possible, as I did it with my character, though I did have two ranks in coercion, so that may be a factor

Decius
2009-11-07, 11:51 AM

Take Leliana - the French Rogue you meet in the inn - with you, the old bird will trust you with her vouching for you.

frobbnik
2009-11-07, 12:25 PM
man, i am convinced there is no possible way for the friendly AI to be any fucking dumber than this.

Navarp
2009-11-07, 12:40 PM
I assume this was a random encounter:

I saw baby Superman arrive and two peasants take him away from the crash site.

Nice homage.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-07, 12:40 PM
I am almost positive that the AI literally does not do a single thing that its tactics don't tell it to do so just change them if it bothers you.

frobbnik
2009-11-07, 12:46 PM
simple things like

THERE IS A BARRICADE BETWEEN YOU AND THE ENEMY THAT IS KILLING YOU, MAYBE YOU SHOULD HIT IT?

there's no tactic definition for that.

Talkinsquirrel
2009-11-07, 12:53 PM
You could take control of the character and instruct them to hit it?

frobbnik
2009-11-07, 12:56 PM
thank you for that summary of obvious things

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-07, 12:59 PM
also it is very very possible for friendly AI to be dumber than this, see NWN 1 and 2, pretty much all other fantasy RPGs.

Archangel3d
2009-11-07, 1:01 PM
Oh God the AI in NWN 2 was awful.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-07, 1:01 PM
Bioware RPGs: the more things change, the more things stay the same.

Human
2009-11-07, 1:04 PM
Okay, think I'm gonna make a Dwarf Warrior.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-07, 1:05 PM
Take Leliana - the French Rogue you meet in the inn - with you, the old bird will trust you with her vouching for you.
Yup, that was it.

NVB
2009-11-07, 1:13 PM
Oops I killed wynne without even realizing I could use her

Jobrill
2009-11-07, 1:14 PM
I'm surprised at how much I enjoy the conversations with Wynne.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I enjoy more, getting sage advice from her, or flirting with/seducing Alistair.

Jay
2009-11-07, 1:15 PM
I think I'm breaking the game.

that first settlement you visit, Lotherain or whatever it is, where you can free that white-haired, red-eyed dude, has apparently fallen to the Darkspawn while I've been mucking about in Redcliffe. I went ahead and killed the kid at Redcliffe.

Now the Arl of Redcliffe is still sick, and I have to go get the urn of sacred ashes, but the only mention I've heard of it was from that first town that the darkspawn sacked. So I figure, hey, it's a magical object, I'll go see some mages.

I get into the mages tower and accidentally piss off this old lady named Wynn, and she attacks me, so I kill her. Oops?

Striker
2009-11-07, 1:39 PM
...Okay.

I bought the 'Digital Deluxe' version on Steam.

So...technically, I believe I should get at least some DLC. The guide for installing DLC says I should check the cd keys for the game...but it only displays the key for the basic game, no additional redeemables.

What am I doing wrong here?

Jamster
2009-11-07, 1:43 PM
No that one key is the DLC, steam update hides the game key.

Striker
2009-11-07, 1:55 PM
No that one key is the DLC, steam update hides the game key.

Yeah, I figured it out a few minutes ago. It's just odd because the steam forum threads were all talking about three keys...

Analyzer
2009-11-07, 2:13 PM
PS3 version here. Definitely enjoying the game. Had to crank it down from Hard to Normal when I met the Arcane Horror. Micro-managing is difficult in comparison to PC games, but I'm really developing my AI tactics.
Unfortunately, this morning I hit the bug in Redcliffe. The eternal horde scenario. It blows. If I can't fix it in an hour (spent four already), I'll start a new game. Lame.

Jay
2009-11-07, 2:18 PM
I think I'm going to start over. I couldn't make up my mind between dual swords or sword and board character, and I really feel like I've righteously screwed up multiple times. Plus, my ass keeps getting handed to me.

Bester
2009-11-07, 2:24 PM
Yeah, there needs to be at least a cheat that will take you down to level one and keep your XP so people who aren't happy with their builds can redo them without restarting.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-07, 2:30 PM
it seems like it is pretty hard to actually fuck up your character build in this game. I mean, yes you can obviously make a mistake, but you're never going to be a substantially weaker or less effective character as a result of leveling up "incorrectly."

Yunara
2009-11-07, 2:47 PM
For people having trouble with the AI. Are you actually changing the character's attitudes, or just their tactics.

For example, you can put all the ranged abilities you want on the characters tactics, but unless you change their attitude to ranged, they ARE going to run in and beat things with their daggers, etc.

If you want people to default to attack mobs rather than standing there, make sure you pick an attitude that lets them do that, some will default to standing still when no tactics apply.

Also, it seems to matter for me, but if told your party to hold still, instead of move freely, they will just stand there unless someone gets in their range or you manually order them to move.

The AI isn't perfect, but I'm not having problems with it. Micromanaging does help tho, and is more or less necessary on bosses.

Decius
2009-11-07, 3:10 PM
it seems like it is pretty hard to actually fuck up your character build in this game. I mean, yes you can obviously make a mistake, but you're never going to be a substantially weaker or less effective character as a result of leveling up "incorrectly."

Oh, you can. Like taking a ranged Rogue. Makes the game far harder. Or speccing tank when Shale is so much better. (Shale is the best anyway. The most flexible and also the funnest) Or taking some of the weak mage talents (like Shapeshifting).

Two Mages in the group really, really rules. Between me and Morrigan we lock down everything with two Waking Nightmares/Sleep/Forcefield/Glacial Blast etc. Yellow Boss with lots of adds? Force Field the boss, CC the rest, kill them with the Walking Bombs, take care of the boss.

Analyzer
2009-11-07, 3:23 PM
Fixed my problem with a reload of an old save. Guess that didn't fix it, really, but at least I'm playing again.
Dual-wield rogue is working for me, though I tend to have to attempt difficult fights a couple times.
I think two mages, one focused on buff/heal and one on kicking ass, combined with a rogue and a warrior, is pretty much optimal. I guess you can use the dog as the warrior. What I'm saying is that you should either play a rogue or a mage.

Sam
2009-11-07, 3:29 PM
sooooooo

rogue wizard cleric fighter

Xyzandra
2009-11-07, 4:07 PM
So, I've gotten all my dlc downloaded

Memory Band, Blood Dragon Armor, The Lucky Stone, Embri's Many Pockets, The Stone Prisoner, Amulet of the War Mage, Helm of the Deep and The Lion's Paw (have I missed anything?) and am ready to play.

Here goes nothing.

Archangel3d
2009-11-07, 4:09 PM
I've been running Healer (minor damage dealer), two-weapon warrior, Sword-and-shield Warrior and Two-handed warrior. It's a very tough team, it can take a huge beating. It runs into trouble against larger groups (due to being outflanked) and against ranged groups (which is why my dex-based two-weapon fighter has Pinning Shot and my healer has Stone Fist) but all in all, it works well.

[Edit] Good luck Xyz! Don't let the repeated deaths get you down.

Striker
2009-11-07, 4:18 PM
Okay...what's so bad about ranged weapons? Haven't tried them yet due to...well, mage, but the way people talk about them...

Nim
2009-11-07, 4:24 PM

Jumping back to this for a second. I was messing around with the Dev Console and one of the commands, "runscript zz_addparty," let's you break the four party limit. It worked up to seven members and then reset when I tried to add Wynne. There is indeed no GUI past four, but any additional NPC's seem to function just fine so all we need is for someone to expand the interface. Someone get on that!

frobbnik
2009-11-07, 5:33 PM
ugh, I figured it out, it's a turn based game without turns, you see. Which doesn't work.

Talkinsquirrel
2009-11-07, 5:49 PM
ugh, I figured it out, it's a turn based game without turns, you see. Which doesn't work.

I guess you never played Baldur's Gate then.

Nim
2009-11-07, 6:04 PM

You didn't know this going in, I thought this was common knowlage on Bioware RPGs?

There's even a ten year old penny arcade on the topic: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/01/27/

Xyzandra
2009-11-07, 6:16 PM
what's more useful in the beginning for a human noble rogue? Improved Combat or Improved Coercion? I'd think Combat but I don't want to miss out on something cool early on in the story by not being charming enough.

Nim
2009-11-07, 6:24 PM
I maxed out Coercion before anything else, even though I've had it hurt me a few times when spell get interrupted.

I just can't stand missing dialogue options, and Persuade appears quite a bit from what I've seen.

frobbnik
2009-11-07, 6:25 PM
I guess you never played Baldur's Gate then.

hey man, i've slept since then. jade empire and mass effect spoiled me.

Nim
2009-11-07, 6:45 PM
Jade Empire and Mass Effect always kinda left me miffed cause I liked the larger party and more tactical battles.

Not that I wanted Jade Empire and Mass Effect to be like that. They had combat systems that worked great for them, but I pined for an RPG like Dragon Age for such a long time.

Brondolfr
2009-11-07, 7:42 PM
Found another useful spell combination, the vulnerability hex makes targets take double damage from drain life/mana and you get twice as much back to boot.

Nim
2009-11-07, 7:49 PM
I wish there were more Action Bars :(

Jobrill
2009-11-07, 8:16 PM
Oh Gosh I am going to be SO Depressed when Wynne inevitably succumbs to death as her guardian spirit grows too weak. Don't die awesome advice-giving grandma figure. ;_;

Jay
2009-11-07, 8:35 PM
I just went back to an earlier save and roamed around the countryside, leveling up. Did the Warden's Keep DLC at level 9 without too much trouble, got some kick ass armor out of it.

Rufi
2009-11-07, 9:19 PM
So, this whole unlocking specializations for all playthroughs thing is pretty nice... for example, I just unlocked reaver... but didn't like that I had to kill off wynne and the rogue chick to do it.

No biggie, just reloaded after doing the evil solution, and pow, I'm a goody little two shoes reaver now :)

Xyzandra
2009-11-07, 9:27 PM
Is it possible to make dragon age run in a borderless window?

Archangel3d
2009-11-07, 9:31 PM
So, this whole unlocking specializations for all playthroughs thing is pretty nice... for example, I just unlocked reaver... but didn't like that I had to kill off wynne and the rogue chick to do it.

No biggie, just reloaded after doing the evil solution, and pow, I'm a goody little two shoes reaver now :)

Dude, spoiler than, man :angry:

Jay
2009-11-07, 9:47 PM
What's this unlocking specializations business?
Also, where do I find Shale, the stone guy DLC?

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-07, 9:51 PM
I thought I could get away with not having a healer in the party but goddamn. Potions just don't cut it. I am going to have to struggle through this revenant in redcliff castle for the time being but as soon as Morrigan levels up she is getting heal.

Analyzer
2009-11-07, 9:57 PM
I thought I could get away with not having a healer in the party but goddamn. Potions just don't cut it. I am going to have to struggle through this revenant in redcliff castle for the time being but as soon as Morrigan levels up she is getting heal.

This was the exact moment that I gave her Heal, as well. It's one thing to use her herbalism to make healing stuff, but that gets freaking old quick. And the first time you need some AI healing...
Sorry, I know you're a misanthrope Morrigan, but you'll have to suck it up for the team this time.

Nim
2009-11-07, 10:09 PM
Just fought my first Dragon, and my GOD that was awesome. Even with two Spirit Healers Alister almost got fuckin' ate alive.

Nim
2009-11-07, 10:14 PM
What's this unlocking specializations business?
Also, where do I find Shale, the stone guy DLC?

You get a specialization point at levels 7 and 14 and each class has four specializations that can be unlocked. Some are unlocked by talking to party members, some can be bought, others have to be found in the story or on quests. Each one gives you some bonuses and unlocks a new talent tree.

I think you get Shale from Sulcher's Pass, it's on the overhead map and it's a slightly different color than the other options (Just like Warden's Keep).

It get's worse too, you really need a solid healer to get through some of the stuff in this game.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-07, 10:25 PM
Gettin Wynne made life so much easier. Oh my god. A dedicated healer and things go smooth like BUTTER. But, it's frustrating to me that in order to apparently play this game without serious difficulty, I have to have one of my players specced into some serious healing, especially since of the characters I've encountered, there's only been one healer.

Also, do all the fights tend to scale to whatever level your characters are? Because, I'm on EASY mode (and totally okay with that) and there are still some fights that are murderously hard to impossible, even with an optimized group and me micromanaging every little thing.

The Lazarus
2009-11-07, 10:25 PM
Not sure why people are complaining about archers. Leliana's owning people with her bow, especially with her aoe stun move, it's come in pretty handy.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-07, 10:47 PM
Also, do all the fights tend to scale to whatever level your characters are? Because, I'm on EASY mode (and totally okay with that) and there are still some fights that are murderously hard to impossible, even with an optimized group and me micromanaging every little thing.
I am pretty sure enemies scale to your level.

It really does seem like most of the more difficult fights involve finding the right strategy and anything substantially different from "the right strategy" is probably going to fail. You can micromanage the shit out of your perfectly optimized group, but if you're not using the right tactics, then you're fucked.

edit: this is not a criticism, by the way.

Greatbob Umber
2009-11-07, 10:50 PM
It's too late, I hate you.

Edit Mandingo Jones disapproves (-9)

Melanchthon
2009-11-07, 11:07 PM
So I've been playing a mage and put most of my points into creation magic so far, the heal line and the nature damage line (I want to overwhelm my foes in waves of stingy bitey insects, ohyes). I guess that means I should spec Morrigan for full damage?

Jay
2009-11-07, 11:48 PM
Okay the shit you have to go through at the Magi tower in the Fade....fucking boring and irritating and waaaay too long.
Shapeshifting is cool though.

Nim
2009-11-07, 11:49 PM
So I've been playing a mage and put most of my points into creation magic so far, the heal line and the nature damage line (I want to overwhelm my foes in waves of stingy bitey insects, ohyes). I guess that means I should spec Morrigan for full damage?

It doesn't hurt to have two people who can heal, it really doesn't.

AKBoarder
2009-11-07, 11:49 PM
Okay the shit you have to go through at the Magi tower in the Fade....fucking boring and irritating and waaaay too long.
Shapeshifting is cool though.

Yeah, that was really, really, annoying.

Yunara
2009-11-08, 12:03 AM
So I just found out Alistair is not a gay romance option. How lame is that.

There's only 1 gay romance option, and 1 lesbian one? That seems kind of weak...

AKBoarder
2009-11-08, 12:06 AM
The vast majority of people aren't gay in real life either.

The Dude
2009-11-08, 12:08 AM
I wasn't aware they provided a lesbian option in this game.

Jay
2009-11-08, 12:12 AM
So I just found out Alistair is not a gay romance option. How lame is that.

There's only 1 gay romance option, and 1 lesbian one? That seems kind of weak...

Go to the pearl in the big city. Whole handfuls of gay guys there.

Also, I just played a bit of Mass Effect and recalled something:

The place in ME where the geth come from is a portion of mysterious space called "The Veil" and some of the characters refer to a "Maker" deity.
Are these terms common throughout the BG games and other BioWare stuff?

AKBoarder
2009-11-08, 12:14 AM

The rogue chick that is a nun.

frobbnik
2009-11-08, 12:14 AM

the joan of arc clone is apparently bisexual

AKBoarder
2009-11-08, 12:15 AM
In my second play through that I'm slowly working through, where I plan to get as close to 100% completion as I can, I'm working on the lesbian relationship option, and I'll probably also work on the two different heterosexual options as well, try to sleep with everyone.

The Dude
2009-11-08, 12:17 AM
Weirdly I would've thought Morrigan as the more likely choice for female romance.

AKBoarder
2009-11-08, 12:21 AM
Yeah seriously

Archangel3d
2009-11-08, 12:24 AM
This was the exact moment that I gave her Heal, as well. It's one thing to use her herbalism to make healing stuff, but that gets freaking old quick. And the first time you need some AI healing...
Sorry, I know you're a misanthrope Morrigan, but you'll have to suck it up for the team this time.

Hell yes, same here. That fight, the whole pull you across the courtyard to impale yourself on his blade attack was just the start of the trouble. That fight ended with all my party down except rogue, who got off a very VERY lucky crit as it swooped in, amazingly pulled off Dirty Tricks, moved behind it and double backstabbed to finish it off. She had like no health left.

Tortuga Bañana
2009-11-08, 12:27 AM
My best attempts so far involved (I think) cheesing the encounter slightly. If you run up the stairs right away, the "pull you across the courtyard move" seems to fail or at most just pulls you a few feet to the side of the stairs. Then I wale on the archers and try to fight all of the goddamned zombies before the revenant destroys me.

My best try so far ended with everybody dead except the revenant who had like 75% health.

Melanchthon
2009-11-08, 12:32 AM
Okay games really need more genre savvy characters in them. Anyone who didn't see that shit coming from Teyrn Loghain shouldn't have survived toddlerhood.