PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age looks so retarded

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Kamileon
2010-06-30, 5:17 AM
K, Morrigan got pissed at me because I wouldn't let some Tevinter Maleficarum use my own damn father as fuel for a fucking health buff.

Fucking bitch.

Mark Waters
2010-06-30, 5:26 AM
The one thing about Morrigan that is consistent with all of her reactions is that she favors power above anything else. If it will make you or her more powerful, she approves. The opposite applies for disapproval. Other than that, she's a crazy ho.

Weirdo
2010-06-30, 5:41 AM
K, Morrigan got pissed at me because I wouldn't let some Tevinter Maleficarum use my own damn father as fuel for a fucking health buff.

Fucking bitch.

The best is when you threaten her in situations like this how bout I use you instead?? then she relents a bit.

Kamileon
2010-06-30, 6:04 AM
I am too goody goody for Morrigan's power lust. Also, having just finished the Landsmeet (why no that has no bearing on why I am still awake at 4am, why do you ask?) I have to say that Anora is a fucking bitch too.

Striker
2010-06-30, 6:58 AM
At least Anora is consistent and mostly rational in her bitchiness :P.

Nim
2010-06-30, 11:04 AM
The best is when you threaten her in situations like this how bout I use you instead?? then she relents a bit.

Threatening to make her a Golem is awesome.

Kamileon
2010-06-30, 12:01 PM
At least Anora is consistent and mostly rational in her bitchiness :P.

She was consistent but it wasn't terribly rational for her to cone out calling me s liar, traitor, kidnapper, Again. After I wheedled and dealed for to keep her power at the throne and marry Alistair and she agreed.

Enjoy the tower, bitch.

Krall
2010-06-30, 12:14 PM
She was consistent but it wasn't terribly rational for her to cone out calling me s liar, traitor, kidnapper, Again. After I wheedled and dealed for to keep her power at the throne and marry Alistair and she agreed.

Enjoy the tower, bitch.

I wanted a "put a hatchet in the bitch's head" option when dealing with Anora after that.

Kamileon
2010-06-30, 12:17 PM
Yeah. I was so proud of Alistair when I was all Hey let the king decide what to do with her, and he was all BITCH GOES IN THE TOWER. Maybe I'll let you out if I die.

Common Sensei
2010-06-30, 12:51 PM

Enjoy the tower, bitch.

If you spoke to her and brought up marriage with Alistair, talked to Alistair and convinced him to do it and went back to Anora and told her Alistair agrees, she should have spoke out against Loghain. Other than that, she is totally a chip off the old block. She sees an opportunity and she will do anything to capitalize on it, like sell out her father, marry a bastard child with a claim to the throne, etc.

Yunara
2010-06-30, 12:55 PM
The one thing about Morrigan that is consistent with all of her reactions is that she favors power above anything else. If it will make you or her more powerful, she approves. The opposite applies for disapproval. Other than that, she's a crazy ho.

Morrigan I thought was one of the most consisten PCs.

She values power, but she also is extremely survival of the fittest. She's also anti-incarceration. Either kill them or let them go.

Handling Morrigan is easy if you understand her. The problem is that ignoring most people's cries for help means not playing any sidequests, etc.

Common Sensei
2010-06-30, 12:59 PM
Morrigan was well-written.

She was also never in my party after I got Wynne.

Jimmy McForum
2010-06-30, 1:36 PM
Is that Mordin with a space vuvuzela.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-30, 1:54 PM
I have Morrigan as my party's spirit healer simply because she's way more fun to have around then Wynne. How much stat benefit did I sacrifice for flavor?

Kamileon
2010-06-30, 2:07 PM
If you spoke to her and brought up marriage with Alistair, talked to Alistair and convinced him to do it and went back to Anora and told her Alistair agrees, she should have spoke out against Loghain. Other than that, she is totally a chip off the old block. She sees an opportunity and she will do anything to capitalize on it, like sell out her father, marry a bastard child with a claim to the throne, etc.

I did all of those things. Proposed it to her first, she agreed, I agreed to talk to Alistair, and I did. I persuaded him to do it, I made lots of sad faces, gave him Duncan's shield to show I still loved him, and went back and talked to her. Was I not supposed to be honest about the fact I intended to keep caboodling her marriage of convenience? She seemed to want to know outright more. But when I got to the Landsmeet, and Loghain brought her up, I was all "Anora can speak for herself!" and she went all "I'm a lying sack of bullshit!" on me.

Morrigan I thought was one of the most consisten PCs.

She values power, but she also is extremely survival of the fittest. She's also anti-incarceration. Either kill them or let them go.

Handling Morrigan is easy if you understand her. The problem is that ignoring most people's cries for help means not playing any sidequests, etc.

I guess she would have hated me MORE if I hadn't been like "eat it Tevinter shit" and stabbed his shit.

I've taken to not bringing Morrigan with me, because while she kicks the ass out of things, she's not THAT great, Wynne heals me, and Zevran manages to kill things and be far less grating. As a rogue myself, with Zev, I sort of send Alistair and Wynne into the packs of 5000 mobs, then sort of have a stabby elf hit squad party with Zev and we obliterate things one by one. Maybe I've gotten better shit, or gotten better at strategics or something, but the fights are not especially difficult anymore.

The first time I came across the Elder dragon up by the temple it just sorta landed on me several times, insta-killed Morrigan before anyone could move, then handed us our asses. I went back for it, and maybe spreading the party out and telling them to hold positions before calling him down was the trick, because it only wumped down once on Alistair, and then I shot it with arrows and Morrigan.

Common Sensei
2010-06-30, 2:17 PM
I did all of those things. Proposed it to her first, she agreed, I agreed to talk to Alistair, and I did. I persuaded him to do it, I made lots of sad faces, gave him Duncan's shield to show I still loved him, and went back and talked to her. Was I not supposed to be honest about the fact I intended to keep caboodling her marriage of convenience? She seemed to want to know outright more. But when I got to the Landsmeet, and Loghain brought her up, I was all "Anora can speak for herself!" and she went all "I'm a lying sack of bullshit!" on me.

It sounds like a bug, but never gone through Landsmeet with a character that was a romantic interest. However, there is an ending where Alistair marries Anora while you have an affair with him, so I dunno. Human female nobles can also marry him instead.

Is that Mordin with a space vuvuzela.

Yup.

Kamileon
2010-06-30, 2:20 PM
It sounds like a bug, but never gone through Landsmeet with a character that was a romantic interest. However, there is an ending where Alistair marries Anora while you have an affair with him, so I dunno. Human female nobles can also marry him instead.

The former is what I was angling for. Though it is not necessary for Alistair to marry Anora, if you are not a human noble, he will try to cut off the relationship and unless you tell him to keep you on as a mistress, because he can do what he wants as king, it's over.

Kamileon
2010-07-04, 5:08 AM
Welp. Threadbump to say that I finished. I stalled for a few days because I didn't want it to be over.

Morrigan was actually legit nice to me at the end, calling me a friend and all that, you know in between propositioning me to have Alistair father her demon baby. Maybe she was fucking with me, but she seemed genuinely grateful for what was done, and not all "Mwahahahaa, spawning my evil old god baby to fuck the world, suckah!" I am going to imagine that given what she learned from Flemeth and the grimoire, and her explanation that it would free it from the taint, that the old god is somehow known to her or flemeth somehow, and that we really did rescue it, and maybe it's not evil. Or maybe that's what I'd like to believe, since I may have encouraged creating an evil demon baby just so I could not die in a darkspawn fire and keep shtooping Alistair.

I freed the elves, and made Shianni their Bann; even if that didn't come up in the game, I had already decided in my head that I would imagine that sometime after that whole blight-ending thing that my character could perhaps have some pull with the king to get the Elves treated better. How convenient they wrote that in for me.

I may have to replay the shit out of this just so it won't be quite as over. I started a few other characters to see the origins, and I just have Dwarf commoner yet to finish. I am terrible at being evil, and even my best intentions to make opportunitic assholes to play doesn't stick for long. *sigh*. I did the human noble origin, thinking lol human noble, I'll be a corrupt dick, and I just couldn't.

Striker
2010-07-04, 5:46 AM
If you want to feel good about playing an opportunistic asshole, start a dwarf noble and play through the prologue as a good guy.

Then whenever a moral decision comes up, tell yourself 'remember what happened the last time I tried to be nice? Yeah, fuck that.' :P

Weirdo
2010-07-04, 9:12 AM
Yup.

hell yes, could you post the full image please??

edit: nm found it (http://pokketmowse.deviantart.com/art/Space-Bros-169499831?q=1&qo=1) lol

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-07-04, 9:21 AM
hell yes, could you post the full image please??

edit: nm found it (http://pokketmowse.deviantart.com/art/Space-Bros-169499831?q=1&qo=1) lol
hahahaha miranda

Weirdo
2010-07-04, 9:29 AM
pretty much

Jimmy McForum
2010-07-04, 9:58 AM
DAT ASS

Kamileon
2010-07-04, 1:07 PM
If you want to feel good about playing an opportunistic asshole, start a dwarf noble and play through the prologue as a good guy.

Then whenever a moral decision comes up, tell yourself 'remember what happened the last time I tried to be nice? Yeah, fuck that.' :P

That or the mage origin, considering I Tried to feed Jowan to the wolves like a good little fucking stool pigeon, and they were still all "can't trust her, make her pay!" Not so mad at Irving, but can't decide if I want to play her bitter at mages/templar/chantry or as a sycophant.

White Tyger
2010-07-04, 2:34 PM
Mage origin is an interesting start point. The dwarf noble is quite fun too. I'm on a play through as a bitter angry "kill em all" female city elf.

gamerk2
2010-07-06, 11:38 AM
Mage's clearly got the best origin story in my mind. Lots of ways to play the mage, where most of the other origins are somewhat...lacking in that regard.

Kamileon
2010-07-06, 2:23 PM
I have a really hard time being a dick even in games. I made a City Elf dude just so I could practice being a jerk with plenty of reason to be bitter, and because I wouldn't have the option of being all goody-goody to get in Alistair's pants.

I kept trying to go for all the "Look at me I'm an asshole!" and "KILL THEM ALL!" answers, but Duncan and Alistair are pretty hard to actually be jerky to, especially when there aren't any options to be mean at the beginning.

I am bad at being bad.

Maybe I should go get one of my old saves from my first playthrough (god I saved all over tarnation, my hard drive weeps) and unlock reaver and bloodmage and try to find my inner asshole.

Phantom
2010-07-06, 2:30 PM
My Dwarf Noble has generally tried to be a good guy.

Even though he's an Assassin/Dualist Rogue.

Kamileon
2010-07-06, 2:40 PM
My Duelist Assassin City Elf rogue was such a damn good guy, I am pretty sure I had a choir of angels tagging along behind me, singing.

CyanideRush
2010-07-06, 3:06 PM
I picked up the Awakenings expansion yesterday and logged a healthy 7 hours and so far I'm digging it more than the original campaign.

Rutkowski
2010-07-06, 3:15 PM
Where can I pick up the Awakenings expansion if I got DA for Gamer's Gate?

EDIT: Apparently, it's there but not in my region. Anyone in the US set up a paid gift?

gamerk2
2010-07-06, 3:38 PM
I am bad at being bad.

I hear ya :(

ModusPwnens
2010-07-06, 5:07 PM
Awesome, just reached the Arch Demon and everyone's injured I have no kits and I have no potions or poultices of any kind. Please tell me I can backtrack and find a merchant.

Rutkowski
2010-07-06, 5:09 PM
Isn't there a merchant just before the battle?

Kamileon
2010-07-06, 5:27 PM
Got a spirit healer with cleanse?

Striker
2010-07-06, 6:28 PM
Isn't there a merchant just before the battle?

Not just 'a merchant'.

'Enchantment!' :D

ModusPwnens
2010-07-06, 7:25 PM
Not just 'a merchant'.

'Enchantment!' :D

So he is an actual merchant? Word. I saw him and just ran past him like a retard. Time to bring this shit to a close.

Xyzandra
2010-07-06, 7:44 PM
My favourite character is still my Dwarven Blood Mage-Arcane Warrior Princess. Yeah, they try to tell you dwarves can't be mages but it's all a lie. "I'm a goddamn batman princess I can be whatever I want to be. So there!"

(no seriously, the game allows it. You just need to play about with the settings. You don't need an addon or anything)

Even if Alistair broke my heart. Bastard! You're not the only royalty in the room! Hell, I'm a Paragon, you're just a mortal. I outrank you! *grumble*

But yeah. Blood Mage-Arcane Warrior. Sick Combo. And so much fun.

Kamileon
2010-07-06, 7:55 PM
My favourite character is still my Dwarven Blood Mage-Arcane Warrior Princess. Yeah, they try to tell you dwarves can't be mages but it's all a lie. "I'm a goddamn batman princess I can be whatever I want to be. So there!"

(no seriously, the game allows it. You just need to play about with the settings. You don't need an addon or anything)

Even if Alistair broke my heart. Bastard! You're not the only royalty in the room! Hell, I'm a Paragon, you're just a mortal. I outrank you! *grumble*

But yeah. Blood Mage-Arcane Warrior. Sick Combo. And so much fun.

Re: Alistair you can Keep on as his mistress if you choose "a king can do what he wants" in the conversation where he dumps you make an heir. If you haven't tented him and hardened him during his personal quest, it's not an option though.

Nim
2010-07-06, 11:26 PM
New DLC (http://dragonage.bioware.com/lelianas_song/) out that that covers Leliana's backstory.

I'm hearing it's pretty good. More character driven than combat, but it does mess with the continuity of DA: O.

gamerk2
2010-07-07, 6:43 AM
New DLC (http://dragonage.bioware.com/lelianas_song/) out that that covers Leliana's backstory.

I'm hearing it's pretty good. More character driven than combat, but it does mess with the continuity of DA: O.

How so?

Nim
2010-07-07, 11:13 AM
Not 100% sure, since I haven't played it yet, but I understand that how the mod plays out doesn't totally line up with what Leliana told the PC in Dragon Age about her past.

Melanchthon
2010-07-07, 11:14 AM
Well, that could just mean Leliana lied to the PC. She is a sneaky seducey bardy spy person, after all.

Rutkowski
2010-07-07, 11:16 AM
Where can I pick up the Awakenings expansion if I got DA for Gamer's Gate?

EDIT: Apparently, it's there but not in my region. Anyone in the US set up a paid gift?
Anyone?

The Lazarus
2010-07-07, 1:32 PM
Not 100% sure, since I haven't played it yet, but I understand that how the mod plays out doesn't totally line up with what Leliana told the PC in Dragon Age about her past.
She's a bard. They're supposed to lie.

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-07, 1:33 PM
character driven? meaning i have to hear leliana talk? no thanks.

Sprint
2010-07-07, 1:43 PM
She can't talk if you put something in her mouth

Kamileon
2010-07-07, 1:48 PM
Playing through again, the only way to tolerate Leliana is by spamming the escape key while she babbles. It's the RPG equivalent of smiling and nodding.

Nim
2010-07-07, 3:15 PM
She's a bard. They're supposed to lie.

Yeah, I love Bioware, but I don't think I can give them that much credit.

Does kinda suck that the DLC is centered on Leliana. Would have rather seen more of Zevran or Sten's backstory. Maybe next time.

The Lazarus
2010-07-07, 3:25 PM
Credit for what? It didn't require any prior planning on their part. If you've established a character as a liar, fudging their past isn't exactly some horribly complex plan.
Continuity is a pretty ridiculous reason to complain about an addon, seeing as we just had the Darkspawn Chronicles which isn't even close to being in continuity at all.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-07-07, 3:26 PM
Leliana's voice and accent is sexy as fuck.

Nim
2010-07-07, 3:31 PM
Darkspawn wasnt Intended to be cannon, so that doesn't really apply.

Note that I haven't played the DLC yet so I can't comment on what the continuity errors are. I only meant that whatever discrepancies there are seem more likely to be an oversight on the part of the writers rather than an intional attempt at using an unreliable narator.

Phantom
2010-07-07, 3:41 PM
Next backstory should be the dog.

The Lazarus
2010-07-07, 4:00 PM
Note that I haven't played the DLC yet so I can't comment on what the continuity errors are. I only meant that whatever discrepancies there are seem more likely to be an oversight on the part of the writers rather than an intional attempt at using an unreliable narator.
Yes, because DA: O is so old already the writers have already forgotten what they wrote. :rolleyes:

Jobrill
2010-07-07, 4:01 PM
Retcons happen. It's silly to pretend they don't.

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-07, 4:01 PM
Playing through again, the only way to tolerate Leliana is by spamming the escape key while she babbles. It's the RPG equivalent of smiling and nodding.

hahahaha yes

ModusPwnens
2010-07-07, 4:02 PM
Word, that was sweet. Too bad now all I want to do is fine Morrigan. If they make any DLC about her I might actually buy it.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-07-07, 4:04 PM
Word, that was sweet. Too bad now all I want to do is fine Morrigan. If they make any DLC about her I might actually buy it.
50 sovereign fine for baby snatching

Nim
2010-07-07, 4:10 PM
Yes, because DA: O is so old already the writers have already forgotten what they wrote. :rolleyes:

Have you played Awankening? It's pretty clear they're taking a fast and loose approch to continuity.

Salo
2010-07-07, 4:14 PM
Awankening
This sounds awesome.

Nim
2010-07-07, 4:23 PM
Sorry, Awakening. Posting from iPhone r hard.

ModusPwnens
2010-07-07, 4:28 PM
Awankening would just be Morrigan and Leliana going at it, for hours

Nim
2010-07-07, 4:32 PM
Pretty sure there's already a mod for that.

Phantom
2010-07-07, 4:40 PM
Awankening: The Isabella Story.

Hambone
2010-07-08, 8:08 AM
So... Dragon Age 2 (http://kotaku.com/5582189/dragon-age-2-is-an-all+new-game?skyline=true&s=i).

I know the original was in development forever, but I am surprised they are turning out a sequel in a little over a year (launch expected in Q1 2011).

Draft
2010-07-08, 8:33 AM
So... Dragon Age 2 (http://kotaku.com/5582189/dragon-age-2-is-an-all+new-game?skyline=true&s=i).

I know the original was in development forever, but I am surprised they are turning out a sequel in a little over a year (launch expected in Q1 2011).I'm not surprised at all. They cranked out a huge expansion in like 6 months. Bioware is a sweatshop.

Whiplash
2010-07-08, 9:44 AM
Interesting art style.

Draft please change thread title to 'Dragon Age 2 looks so retarded' tia

Tortuga Baρana
2010-07-08, 9:48 AM
A lot of development time goes towards creating development tools i.e. the Dragon Age toolset, which can now be used on sequels. They also, presumably, were working on this sequel while Dragon Age was being developed.

Same thing (roughly) with Neverwinter Nights. They pumped out their expansions like crazy.

Hambone
2010-07-08, 10:11 AM
Official Site (http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/) is now up.

Not much info, but it looks interesting...
* Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
* Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
* Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
* Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
* Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

Sprint
2010-07-08, 10:12 AM
Will it have armor for non-warriors that look like non-ass?

Nim
2010-07-08, 10:13 AM
Glad to hear their moving on with a new character and new parts of the world. Much as I loved the cast of DA: O that Blight is over and the story pretty tied up.

Even more important I don't feel like a direct squeal could match the same level of personal continuity that ME2 had, so it would feel like a letdown.

ModusPwnens
2010-07-08, 10:15 AM
I'm loving this new art style.

Will it have armor for non-warriors that look like non-ass?

Let. Us. Pray.

A Benevolent Picaroon
2010-07-08, 10:22 AM
I'm gonna buy this this weekend :J

Killjoy
2010-07-08, 10:35 AM
Official Site (http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/) is now up.

Not much info, but it looks interesting...
One of the things I really liked about BG2 was the all-too-small element of strongholds. I thought that's what the DA: O DLC of Warden's Keep was going to be, but that ended up being a huge let down (though they put a little stronghold management into the DA: O expansion; emphasis on "little"). Hopefully they bring strongholds into DA2 in a serious way.

Nim
2010-07-08, 10:37 AM
Looks like you're locked into playing a Human named "Hawke" (I.E. Shepard) in DA:2. At least people can call you something other than Warden.

Also rumors going around that the you're Morrigan's demon child thingie.

Jimmy McForum
2010-07-08, 10:41 AM
If they make it Mass Effect 2: Medieval Edition I will be very happy. I enjoyed DA, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it more than ME1. ME2 just had ZAZZ.

DA2 needs more ZAZZ, and it looks like ZAZZ is what we're getting.

Hawque
2010-07-08, 10:49 AM
Looks like you're locked into playing a Human named "Hawke" (I.E. Shepard) in DA:2.:gleam:

Jobrill
2010-07-08, 10:53 AM
Yeah, if Hawke is a more fleshed out character in a Shepard type of way, I'll be pretty happy. As much as the origins were sort of fun to play, I think I liked the full voice acting and character of Shepard more. I'll miss my Dwarf Commoner, but I think a new, more solid singular character is for the best.

Yunara
2010-07-08, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't mind playing a Human named Hawke, I honestly didn't like playing the other races much anyways.

Phantom
2010-07-08, 11:14 AM
One of the things I'm hoping is that, despite being a new game world, the events of the previous game still influence it. If, for example, you wiped out the mages, freed the elves, sided with Bhalen, and defiled the Urn, then all of those things would have an effect on the political situation in DA2.

Syngyne
2010-07-08, 11:14 AM
Leliana's voice and accent is sexy as fuck.
So's her voice actress... :wub:

Ben Wyatt: Human Disaster
2010-07-08, 11:42 AM
So's her voice actress... :wub:well, she certainly has the right look for voice acting

Jarp Habib
2010-07-08, 12:40 PM
I needed to make this.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4775040624_6b232b97b5_b.jpg

Jamster
2010-07-08, 12:42 PM
lol

Sprint
2010-07-08, 12:43 PM
well, she certainly has the right look for voice acting

face made for radio huh

Jarp Habib
2010-07-08, 12:46 PM
face made for radio huh

And a voice made for the silent movies?

Nick
2010-07-08, 1:05 PM
Digging the new art style. Dumbing-down of character creation, race and background options, customization, etc., just seems like it's a big play to casual gamers not getting overwhelmed + making it faster/cheaper to churn out sequels and make more money (less VA worries, less dialogue that should be implemented when chosen background overlaps into an interaction, way easier to control story branching and moral choices, etc.)

Having a hugely customizable character that let you experience the game from a lot of wildly different angles and get exactly the immersion experience you wanted out of it (instead of "I am taking on the pre-written role of Jim Knightsomebody") was one of the best and most popular things from DA. If anything I was hoping they would expand on it by adding more races/classes/origins, not remove a central point of the first game altogether.

Kind of shitty news IMO and I don't like to see the two IPs start looking more parallel, but hopefully they'll make up for it with all the awesome new stuff that is sure to be there.

The Lazarus
2010-07-08, 1:18 PM
Also rumors going around that the you're Morrigan's demon child thingie.
So Morrigan went to all that trouble only to ditch you and let you become a destitute refugee?

Jobrill
2010-07-08, 1:22 PM
By rumors, I'm pretty sure you mean "wishful thinking."

Phantom
2010-07-08, 1:23 PM
So Morrigan went to all that trouble only to ditch you and let you become a destitute refugee?
Look, you'd never grow strong enough to be worth Morrigan transferring her soul into your body unless she rips you away from her teat and lets you fend for yourself for a while.

Jobrill
2010-07-08, 1:23 PM
There is very, very little immersion from a voiceless character who doesn't show much reaction to the things going on around him or her. I'd much rather have a single origin if it includes a fully voiced and animated character who reacts properly to things around him or her. I support going with one fully voiced character.

CyanideRush
2010-07-08, 1:30 PM
There is very, very little immersion from a voiceless character who doesn't show much reaction to the things going on around him or her. I'd much rather have a single origin if it includes a fully voiced and animated character who reacts properly to things around him or her. I support going with one fully voiced character.

Would you support it still if you didn't get to choose gender?

What if, by removing the choice of gender, the really really did a good job making a fully fleshed out character to play as?

Jobrill
2010-07-08, 1:33 PM
Hell, they did it in the Witcher, so I guess? They're making male and female versions of Hawke tho, so hey! It's all good!

Lapak
2010-07-08, 1:33 PM
There is very, very little immersion from a voiceless character who doesn't show much reaction to the things going on around him or her. I'd much rather have a single origin if it includes a fully voiced and animated character who reacts properly to things around him or her. I support going with one fully voiced character.Though I understand why they might do this, and I don't have a problem with it, the lack of a voice actor for the protagonist didn't hurt my immersion in DA. In fact, the way that the conversation options in ME sometimes turn out to be quite different from what I had intended/interpreted by choosing them means that it actually helped in some cases - if I choose "I'm not sure that's a good idea" and the voice actor says "what the hell are you thinking" in a hostile tone, it throws me for a moment. (Not an actual example, but it captures the sensation I've had a couple of times in ME.)

CyanideRush
2010-07-08, 1:34 PM
I was just curious how far who thought too far was.

I haven't played Witcher though. But I've heard it's good.

Nick
2010-07-08, 1:37 PM
There is very, very little immersion from a voiceless character who doesn't show much reaction to the things going on around him or her.

I'd much rather have a single origin if it includes a fully voiced and animated character who reacts properly to things around him or her. I support going with one fully voiced character.

I agree that bad/absent animation can ruin immersion or break disbelief, especially if it's in the main character. And of course lots of voice acting helps, especially if it's high quality. But you're acting like there haven't been awesome RPGs that were immersive despite featuring only text-dialogue, or despite only doing VA on the character interactions/cut-scenes that were a part of the main story. And not to mention that there are a ton of people (me included) who are going to feel way less immersed from having to play the game with a very rigid stock pre-made versus the Origins system customizable style in order to get more VA dialogue from the main character instead of just text or mixed. You obviously have reverse priorities, but there are people who feel that they are giving up way more immersion from having that core part/choice of the game and story removed than by missing out on supplemental voice-acting.

Besides that, there are people for whom the VA adds very little total versus the separate quality of the actual dialogue/story/visuals/character interactions. You seem to be taking the necessity or supremacy of VA for granted. For example, I had sub-titles on in ME for a variety of reasons, which meant that during cut-scenes I almost always skipped through the VA with the space bar (which didn't break me out of the scene or immersion at all because I was focused on the content and quality of the written dialogue).

Phantom
2010-07-08, 1:38 PM
The tighter restrictions on the protagonist would probably also help them control the narrative. The Origins system creates a lot of variables that would have to be worked through in the story, especially if they're going to allow save games to carry over (based on Bioware's track record, I'd be surprised if this was not so). Scaling down to a single protagonist would probably give them a bit more flexibility in how they want to carry the story from here.

Nick
2010-07-08, 2:01 PM
The tighter restrictions on the protagonist would probably also help them control the narrative. The Origins system creates a lot of variables that would have to be worked through in the story, especially if they're going to allow save games to carry over (based on Bioware's track record, I'd be surprised if this was not so). Scaling down to a single protagonist would probably give them a bit more flexibility in how they want to carry the story from here.

Well yeah, that's basically what I was saying...it's certainly EASIER/cheaper/faster to crank out sequels to only do one character with one race and one background and one set of branches for how the story opens up or what choices you make. That doesn't mean that it's good for the players to miss out on even the option to customize their experience or play/replay the game for multiple angles and and everything else that's being thrown away. And it's not like there were even THAT much unique Origin-bound content itself that was created in the original game besides a starting zone and the occasional dialogue/bonus option (becoming a paragon, meeting howle as a noble, etc.) It wasn't 3 or 6 wildly separate stories that only overlapped in main story cut-scenes briefly. Of course it's a significant amount of additional work for the bits of unique content or to make sure origin ends tie up nicely with the primary story, but even in Origins the game could have had more or more complex origins or more exclusive/influential variables on the main story.

The point about variables and save games is certainly true, but when you have your own IP and a geographically and narrative-wise very open world, there are tons of options for how to merge or "reset" the branching variables at the given points where you need them closer together or even on exactly the same path.

Draft
2010-07-08, 2:03 PM
There is very, very little immersion from a voiceless character who doesn't show much reaction to the things going on around him or her. I'd much rather have a single origin if it includes a fully voiced and animated character who reacts properly to things around him or her. I support going with one fully voiced character.So Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout lack immersion?

Screevo
2010-07-08, 2:05 PM

You are right. Games featuring the following single voiceless characters aren't immersing:

Mario
Link
Samus Aran

Sprint
2010-07-08, 2:07 PM
You are right. Games featuring the following single voiceless characters aren't immersing:

Mario
Link
Samus Aran

All Nintendo fans posting in Bioware threads please report to the meat packing plant for "processing"

Drascus

Mario
Link
Samus Aran

All well-known RPG characters.

Kickflip Jones
There is very, very little immersion from a voiceless character who doesn't show much reaction to the things going on around him or her. I'd much rather have a single origin if it includes a fully voiced and animated character who reacts properly to things around him or her. I support going with one fully voiced character.Kickflip Jones response: Don't post.

Nerd Spergin' Post: Don't you play WoW and write about it as a job? I mean, sure, some games incorrectly use the silent protagonist, but to say that all games would benefit from a fully voiced and characterized protagonist is silly. What about stuff like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and the like?

Drascus
2010-07-08, 2:09 PM
So Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout lack immersion?

Fallout certainly didn't connect me much to my character.

Planescape was a terrible example for you to bring up because The Nameless One is the commander shepard of that era of games. Sure, there's no voice acting or animation, but it's a single character, no gender options even, with a set past, and lots of dialog that he says.

Archangel3d
2010-07-08, 2:10 PM
All well-known RPG characters.

Mario RPG was frikkin amazing.

Jobrill
2010-07-08, 2:11 PM
I'm focused primarily on Single player RPGs here. When it's a game like WoW or Wolfenstein 3D or Mario Brothers or wherever where the story and gameplay is more open ended, sure, silent protagonist is fine.

When you're talking about a fully voice-acted RPG with an intimate person storyline, the idea that your avatar, and your avatar alone, is standing there stonefaced, it gets a little bit disconcerting and hard to connect.

Draft
2010-07-08, 2:12 PM
If anything, all this voice work has done a lot of harm to RPG immersion.

RPG's used to be limited to developer imagination and tile producing ability. An ambitious team could create an absolutely enormous number of quests, areas and things to do.

Moving to 3D limited that quite a bit, but a large chunk of graphical work can be done proceduraly. Voice work, though? No way of handling that except studio time and expensive actors. It's the lead weight tied to every RPG's dev cycle.

Honestly, who doesn't start skipping through spoken dialog in favor of just reading 10 hours in, anyway. Fuck this shit. Record a few dozen flavor phrases for each party member and call it day. Get back to writing, nuts to the recording.

Planescape was a terrible example for you to bring up because The Nameless One is the commander shepard of that era of games. Sure, there's no voice acting or animation, but it's a single character, no gender options even, with a set past, and lots of dialog that he saHe's a great example because my point is that silent protagonists are fine. I'm not really concerned about whether the character has 100 pages of backstory or is just some schmoe that you invented.

Tortuga Baρana
2010-07-08, 2:14 PM
"Voice" is a pretty bad metric to use because we're really talking about personality, which is what we connect to in a character. The problem with these wooden blank-slate RPG characters is not only do they lack personality, but their design actual resists any attempt by the player to imagine personality.

If y'all will remember the classic WoW vs. EQ2 debates, that was pretty much the crux of the debate. WoW was colorful and visually "accessible." Characters ooze personality and can be molded by the imagination of the player. EQ2 felt like Poser models.

That said, voice is one way to inject personality into a character (Mario and Link, btw, haven't been voiceless for decades), which is why a lot of D&D-model RPGs allow you to pick from "voice sets." It's a good way to put a spin on a character that otherwise doesn't really have a personality.

Phantom
2010-07-08, 2:17 PM
If anything, all this voice work has done a lot of harm to RPG immersion.

RPG's used to be limited to developer imagination and tile producing ability. An ambitious team could create an absolutely enormous number of quests, areas and things to do.

Moving to 3D limited that quite a bit, but a large chunk of graphical work can be done proceduraly. Voice work, though? No way of handling that except studio time and expensive actors. It's the lead weight tied to every RPG's dev cycle.

Honestly, who doesn't start skipping through spoken dialog in favor of just reading 10 hours in, anyway. Fuck this shit. Record a few dozen flavor phrases for each party member and call it day. Get back to writing, nuts to the recording.

He's a great example because my point is that silent protagonists are fine. I'm not really concerned about whether the character has 100 pages of backstory or is just some schmoe that you invented.
Remember the days when they didn't use expensive voice actors? If not, shell out the $5 or whatever it is to get a game like Ghost Master off of Steam, or Shenmue 1 on XBLA.

Kickflip Jones
2010-07-08, 2:18 PM
I liked it better when the developers pretty much did the voice-acting themselves.

Jobrill
2010-07-08, 2:19 PM
Yeah, TT is closer to what I mean. I like it when my character has a solid personality that is depicted through words, voice, and action on a screen. My Wardens did not have that, and it was only made jarringly worse by the complete lack of a VA (for anything other than battle noises/acknowledgement of player-entered commands) in an otherwise well acted completely voiced game.

And that in itself doesn't even have to completely remove choice. Shepard can have one of a few pretty distinct personalities depending on what dialogue/moral choices you make for him or her.

Nim
2010-07-08, 2:58 PM
It used to work better before 3d and VO became the standard. In modern RPGs having a silent protagonist when everyone else talks is pretty jarring.

Kamileon
2010-07-08, 3:01 PM
I don't mind when the character I play isn't fleshed out, and doesn't have voices, and such. But I think there is a place for both gamestyles. With a "silent" main character, there is a lot of room to imagine your character in your head, and it's nice to be able to legitimately play out a female character how I want. Modern games are much better at it, but I grew up always having to be a guy when I played any game. So I enjoy that freedom a bit more.

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-08, 3:08 PM
all i really care about when it comes to RPGs: don't make it a buggy piece of shit. thanks.

Jimmy McForum
2010-07-08, 3:10 PM
Funny: Gordon Freeman bothered me a whole lot more than my Fallout 3 d00ds. Probably because you have dialog options in F3, and people keep telling Gordo "HURR U SURE DONT TALK MUCH"

Nim
2010-07-08, 3:18 PM
Half Life is pretty much Alex's story now. Gordon is just some creepy voyeur who fallows behind and watches while everything happens to her.

Athos
2010-07-08, 4:35 PM
I'm happy with the VA changes. I went from Mass Effect 1 and 2 to Dragon Age and because my character doesn't talk in the conversations, it totally breaks my immersion in the game and I've been having a really hard time getting into it. Otherwise its a really great game.. but I can't get over how much not having my character talk when everyone else does pulls me out of the game.

ModusPwnens
2010-07-08, 4:39 PM
I'm happy with the VA changes. I went from Mass Effect 1 and 2 to Dragon Age and because my character doesn't talk in the conversations, it totally breaks my immersion in the game and I've been having a really hard time getting into it. Otherwise its a really great game.. but I can't get over how much not having my character talk when everyone else does pulls me out of the game.

That bothered me the whole time. I chose dialogue options like I was suave, assertive, and noble, but all the while I still felt like this morose, silent, creepy dude.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-07-08, 4:42 PM
The silence in Dragon Age didn't bother me at all, I would probably skip over my guy saying the dialogue option I had just read and picked anyway.

The complete lack of expression on my character's face, on the other hand, was goddamn eerie. No matter what, he's just sternly and stoically staring blankly at everything

ModusPwnens
2010-07-08, 4:46 PM
Yeah that didn't help either

Athos
2010-07-08, 4:49 PM
The silence in Dragon Age didn't bother me at all, I would probably skip over my guy saying the dialogue option I had just read and picked anyway.

The complete lack of expression on my character's face, on the other hand, was goddamn eerie. No matter what, he's just sternly and stoically staring blankly at everything

That's a huge contributing factor too.

I think thats partly why it didn't bother me in Fallout 3.. my character was behind the camera.. here I get to see him stand there stone cold, regardless of the dialog choice I make.

The Lazarus
2010-07-09, 5:25 PM
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/09/five-facts-about-hawke-in-dragon-age-ii.aspx

1. Hawke will be a voiced character.
2. Hawke is human.
but the team promises that players can select either gender for the character.
3. Hawke didn't just survive the blight...he escaped it.
As the Grey Warden from Dragon Age: Origins was fighting darkspawn, Hawke was living in Lothering.
4. Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall.
Kirkwall is a major population center in the Free Marches, a collection of city-states north of Ferelden.
5. Hawke drives the story.
Over the course of the game's 10-year timeline, players' actions and choices will determine Hawke's history, relationships, and regrets.

Yunara
2010-07-09, 6:06 PM
I know what they are trying to say, but the way they presented it made me laugh

4. Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall.
5. (...)Over the course of the game's 10-year timeline, players' actions and choices will determine Hawke's history, relationships, and regrets...all in service to answering the larger question: Who is the Champion of Kirkwall?

ModusPwnens
2010-07-09, 6:20 PM
So we all play the same character but get to define him/her in different ways. Word.

Sprint
2010-07-09, 6:52 PM
It's not even really gonna be the same character. It'll have the same (last) name. Looks, personality, background, up to you.

IE, Mass Effect/Shepard.

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-09, 8:50 PM
Gonna name my DAO2 character "Rawke"

Ignatz
2010-07-09, 8:53 PM
So I can be a LadyHawke? I'm making her look just like Michelle Pfeiffer...

Kamileon
2010-07-09, 8:56 PM
It is kinda neat that the story is going to take place over 10 years or so. That is some real potential for story and character development if done right. Instead of most RPG games which take place over like, 2 weeks or something.

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-09, 9:00 PM
It is kinda neat that the story is going to take place over 10 years or so. That is some real potential for story and character development if done right. Instead of most RPG games which take place over like, 2 weeks or something.

Well hopefully it's not like

*intro*
~~~9 YEARS LATER~~~
*the game*

Nim
2010-07-09, 9:51 PM
Well hopefully it's not like

*intro*
~~~9 YEARS LATER~~~
*the game*

Yeah, really hoping it's not this.

What I am hoping is that they talk about the Free Marches being a collection of city states. Maybe they'll build on the "gather an army" concept of DA: O and actually have you build a Kingdom over that ten year time span, gaining control of towns are cities through combat and diplomacy. That would be awesome.

Yunara
2010-07-09, 10:12 PM
I'm a little disappointed that it's roughly the same timeline as DA: Origins and you are playing a deserter......although it's possible he was only a villager, but still in this setting, I think abandoning your country is a little weak....

Nim
2010-07-09, 10:18 PM
I don't know that deserter is the right word. Lothering was wiped off the map and the Darkspawn were spreading north from the Korcari Wilds, fleeing north across the Waking Sea and into the Free Marches probably made a lot of sense to many refuges.

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-09, 10:25 PM
does that mean he can make desserts :9

Common Sensei
2010-07-09, 10:30 PM
Cookies will be needed for the inevitable Qunari onslaught.

Yunara
2010-07-09, 10:37 PM
I don't know that deserter is the right word. Lothering was wiped off the map and the Darkspawn were spreading north from the Korcari Wilds, fleeing north across the Waking Sea and into the Free Marches probably made a lot of sense to many refuges.

It's true that might be a bit harsh. And I suppose it's possible he was too young to fight when he fled, so we'll need to see, but I preferred the bravery against all odds of the Grey Wardens to some random scrub who fled to another country rather than fight for his.

Fry
2010-07-09, 10:53 PM
It doesn't say how old he is as a refugee leaving Lothering. Its possible you start the game young and the "10 years" of game time is him becoming an adult.

White Tyger
2010-07-10, 1:28 AM

I agree but, I worry that because of how quick the game is coming out (I'm unaware of the development cycle for DA2) that the NPCs will loose their deep personalities and we will be left with Mass Effect 2/Dragon Age hybrid.

The fact we have a main named "character" (ala Shepard) now instead of a self created one plus the statement that combat is revamped caused me to take pause.

Nim
2010-07-10, 1:40 AM
It's all about the toolset. Bioware touted several times durring development that the entire DA: O campaign was being created within that toolset and having played around with it a little I believe it.

Having a streamlined and powerful set of modding tools makes content generation worlds simpler. Hell they pushed out Awakening four months after release with a skeleton crew of b-teamers.

ModusPwnens
2010-07-11, 10:28 AM
It doesn't say how old he is as a refugee leaving Lothering. Its possible you start the game young and the "10 years" of game time is him becoming an adult.

I don't really want to play Fable

Fry
2010-07-11, 11:34 AM
I'd bet money that's the story line. It also lends credence to why the main character flees during DA1. He's too young to fight.

gamerk2
2010-07-11, 12:40 PM
I don't really want to play Fable

Thats exactly what I was thinking...not that Fable (the first one) was a bad game, but still...

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-11, 1:20 PM
fable was a terrible game.

ModusPwnens
2010-07-11, 5:34 PM
Yeah Fable blew

gamerk2
2010-07-12, 6:44 AM
Eh, I kinda liked the first one. Granted, easy as heck, but still a decent diversion...

Sprint
2010-07-12, 8:41 AM
It was easy as fuck as long as you didn't mind looking like a burn victim due to the retarded scarring mechanism.

I actually kinda liked the second one, but I treated it completely like a Gauntlet type game because anything to do with relating to other people was laughable.

*FARTS*

*FIST PUMPS*

*gets married*

FlawedLogic
2010-07-12, 7:05 PM
Get ready for your thread title to be apt again, Draft!

I don't think the response to the first Dragon Age II screen shots is going to be very kind.

http://www.abload.de/img/da2firstscreens02xkan.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/da2firstscreens01wksl.jpg

These are supposed to "showcase the new artistic direction for the game, depicting the new designs for darkspawn Hurlocks and Ogres." I'm not seeing anything special about either...

Sheepy
2010-07-12, 7:10 PM
Wow, those look awful. Did they somehow manage to make it look worse than the first game?

Say Yes To The Wes
2010-07-12, 7:13 PM
holy shit hahahaha

Jamster
2010-07-12, 7:16 PM
nice ambient lighting, lol

Nim
2010-07-12, 7:20 PM
Spiky

FlawedLogic
2010-07-12, 7:20 PM
In all fairness, I'm sure the texturework and set-building are far from complete, and there's no lighting to speak of in either shot... so these are probably completely unrepresentative of how the game will look next year.

But geezy, Bioware... keep that stuff under wraps until you can show it off with some pride. You aren't going to win any new fans with this circa-2002-looking trash.

The Lazarus
2010-07-12, 7:26 PM
Well the textures look really nice, but the models themselves just look odd.

Nim
2010-07-12, 7:34 PM
Yeah, Hawke's model has potential. The skin and armor textures are a step up from DA: O

Jobrill
2010-07-12, 8:32 PM
The new designs for the Darkspawn are not only blocky as hell, but look aesthetically way, way worse to me than the DA:O Versions. The Hurlocks now look like old men, and the Ogre looks. Uh. Special.

Also, Hawke still looks stonefaced. :/

I just hope these are very, very early shots, and they have a long way to go to finish stuff.

Whiplash
2010-07-19, 8:52 AM
Massive patch coming tomorrow for DA:O and DA:O-A;

General Fixes
• Daggers will now properly assign the dexterity-based damage bonus
• Achievement images and messages will now display properly.
• Resolved some authorization issues with downloadable content.
• Blood talents from the Grey Warden Base premium downloadable content will now work properly in Awakening.
• Fixed an issue where installing new downloadable content would occasionally leave the "Other Campaigns" selection greyed-out without a restart of the game.
• Multiple transitions in and out of Fade areas will no longer multiply the number of visual effects running and slow down gameplay.
• Floating numbers no longer appears over players' heads.
• Damage statistics will now be updated properly on the Inventory screen when weapons were unequipped.
• Importing a character to a new module from a savegame that did not have the hero in the party caused the game to crash.
• If a character is imported into Dragon Age: Awakening and is stripped of their incompatible gear from DLC, they will be equipped with default equipment.
• Names with accents and special characters will now show up correctly in the Story So Far load hints.
• Switching between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening will no longer reset options to default settings.
• Fixed a number of memory leaks that were increasing the number of crashes
• Audio drivers were causing a number of audio-related crashes. As such, audio drivers have been updated.
• Fixed issues that were preventing portraits from being uploaded to the BioWare social site.
• Game saves on Xbox 360 were being corrupted if you sold too many items to the same merchant. Saves will no longer be corrupted if you do this.
• Screenshots are no longer automatically uploaded on the PC by default on new installations.
• Fixed pick-pocketing. Characters were successfully stealing, but not receiving any items.

Dragon Age: Origins Fixes

• Fixed an issue that would cause incorrect characters to occasionally appear in Morrigan's ritual.
• Players who rescued their party members in the Fade of the Broken Circle plot were still forced to fight the sloth demon alone. This has been resolved.
• It is no longer possible for the player to get blocked during gameplay by pursuing both candidates' quests in the Orzammar plot line.

Dragon Age: Awakening Fixes
• A variety of bugs were preventing personal quests from triggering and causing issues with party member approval have been fixed.
• Lillith will no longer repeatedly thank the player at Vigil's Keep after being rescued.
• During the Assault on Amaranthine, a bug would occasionally make some enemies invincible, which impeded game progress. This no longer happens.
• Imported rogue characters will now properly detect traps.
• The message, "Legacy tattoo asset do not use!" will no longer appear on the faces of imported characters.
• Masterpiece and paragon silverite runes are now weapon runes instead of armor runes.
• The masterpiece slow rune is now available for purchase from merchant stores.
• Players may now receive notes of appreciation from their Origins love interests.

gamerk2
2010-07-19, 11:16 AM
If a character is imported into Dragon Age: Awakening and is stripped of their incompatible gear from DLC, they will be equipped with default equipment.

About time they did something; would rather they, I don't know, carry the equipment over to begin with?

Fixed a number of memory leaks that were increasing the number of crashes

YAY!!!

ModusPwnens
2010-07-19, 11:25 AM
DA:O

viking099
2010-07-31, 6:39 PM
Does anyone here have any idea why my saved games keep disappearing? I lost them a few days ago for about an hour, but they reappeared soon after.

Now they're gone again, and I don't know where or why.

Seeing as how I've already put 15 hours into the game, I don't really want to start over.

Does anyone have any ideas?

medivh
2010-07-31, 7:46 PM
Do you have *any* DLC?

Some games won't let you access save games that have DLC unless you're connected to the DLC server.

viking099
2010-07-31, 8:22 PM
I did buy the Deluxe version, but I don't think I've entered in any of those codes yet.

gamerk2
2010-08-01, 8:29 PM
From time to time, if you have DLC installed, the game freaks out because it can't PROVE that particular account has the DLC downloaded. The easiest fix is to go to the Downloadable Content screen and hit Refresh, and wait for it to finish.

Be very careful if you start a game like that; check all your items to make sure no DLC exclusive stuff was removed from your inventory.

gamerk2
2010-08-04, 5:41 AM
BTW, I noticed the latest patch did fix a lot of bugs, but theres still a memory leak. It isn't affecting load times, but is showing up in gameplay.

Also, a few quests (Jowan's Redemption) are still broken...thank god for the console!

The Ben
2010-08-07, 8:06 PM
New info on the PC version of the next title: (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4376174/1)

Joystick] Why did you leave/forsake the "a la Baldur's gate" view on PC of the first Dragon Age?

[Mike Laidlaw]For budgetary reasons, we focused our work on a 3rd person view, that asks for very detailed and nice textures so that the player can admire the game with a close-up view. With an aerial view [isometric] we should cover much more ground and so create other textures. Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience"

He does not say though if it is because the game engine could not handle all the zoom out with highly detailed textures. Isometric view means more informations on screen after all.

EDIT (2*) : Quote and translation on the toolset part
[Joystick] Will you release a toolset for DAO 2?

[Mike Laidlaw] To be short, DAO 2 will not have a toolset. I think that DAO I toolset is very powerful but very complicated" [Then they speak of the fan made campaigns possibility for DAO 1 (too little time since last November to create full campaigns, it usually takes years (so only "simple" mods have been produced so far, but this is about DAO I and not DAO II). Once again, Mike Laidlaw does not give any detail on the reasons of this decision.]

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-08-07, 8:13 PM
so it is my fault for buying Dragon Age for the 360

Human
2010-08-07, 8:20 PM
yes fuck you

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-08-07, 8:24 PM
i suppose that is the only appropriate punishment :(

Bester
2010-08-07, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I'm disappointed by a lot of stuff I've heard about DA2. I was thinking this meant more games like the BG series, but I guess those games just aren't popular enough these days. Plus, the small amount of time between games already had me worried.

Not saying this can't still be a great game, but it won't be what most PC players expected. Just have to remind ourselves that this is still Bioware and that they hopefully won't be spending the whole time making it look pretty. I'm not sure I'll be preordering it though.

Maybe the fans will come up with some decent DA:O mods in a few years.

Zetwilder
2010-08-07, 10:23 PM
I stopped having expectations with Bioware. If it looks presentable and is a story game, I'll take a look at it. I haven't really been disapointed.

Midnight
2010-08-07, 11:07 PM
Huh

Guess I'll be skipping DA2 then.

Nim
2010-08-08, 12:56 AM
I'll give them the benifit of the doubt, Bioware isn't really in the habit of making bad games.

It is very depressing to witness the final death of isometric party based RPGs though.

Zetwilder
2010-08-08, 12:57 AM
Someone will make another. And who knows, they could always get enough support to re-release their older titles with updated engines.

Jobrill
2010-08-08, 12:58 AM
I'll still be playing DA2.

Especially if they include a Qunari Female Love Interest. Cuz UNF.

http://blog.bioware.com/2010/08/05/biowares-dragon-age-2-podcast-episode-2-art-director-matt-goldman/

Nim
2010-08-08, 1:22 AM
Wait, the Qunari are buff tieflings now?

travis
2010-08-08, 1:47 AM
you guys are unbelievable

you're in a thread that was all about how the first game was supposed to suck, saying the exact same shit about the second one

Nim
2010-08-08, 1:53 AM
Bioware makes good games. Dragon Age 2 will very likely be a good game. I'm not sure it'll be the game I want, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Kamileon
2010-08-08, 2:09 AM
Yeah, srsly. Reference thread title, laugh, play the shit out of DA2.

Arcman
2010-08-08, 2:23 AM
Hopefully this time around they've learned their lesson from Mass Effect 2 and will stick to music from Two Steps From Hell or something for their trailers instead of Marilyn Effing Manson.

Goddamn those were awful trailers.

Jobrill
2010-08-08, 2:39 AM
Wait, the Qunari are buff tieflings now?

The Qunari are HOT now. That is good enough for me.

(And they look more like Disney's Gargoyles without wings or clawed feet. Again. I can deal with that.)

Jobrill
2010-08-08, 2:40 AM
Hopefully this time around they've learned their lesson from Mass Effect 2 and will stick to music from Two Steps From Hell or something for their trailers instead of Marilyn Effing Manson.

Goddamn those were awful trailers.

I dunno. I think Marilyn was just letting us know man. It was. In fact, the new shit. It was true.

Nim
2010-08-08, 3:10 AM
(And they look more like Disney's Gargoyles without wings or clawed feet. Again. I can deal with that.)

This is the very first thing I thought. I wonder if Keith David can do VO for one of the NPCs.

Midnight
2010-08-08, 1:49 PM
you guys are unbelievable

you're in a thread that was all about how the first game was supposed to suck, saying the exact same shit about the second one

To be fair, I only laughed at the god awful trailer. I didn't doubt it would be a good game.

I doubting DA2 will be a good game because their removing features and dumbing it down for consoles.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-08-08, 2:01 PM
The first game was dumbed down just right for this console gamer :(

Jobrill
2010-08-08, 2:16 PM
Other games (including other Bioware RPGs even) do just fine without an isometric view or a toolset! I mean, the toolset was pretty cool, so I'll sorta be sorry to see it go, but I imagine they just judged that not many people used that stuff, and I'd bet they're right. So be it.

I don't see it as dumbing down as much as streamlining, personally.

bobsmyuncle
2010-08-08, 4:46 PM
Other games (including other Bioware RPGs even) do just fine without an isometric view or a toolset! I mean, the toolset was pretty cool, so I'll sorta be sorry to see it go, but I imagine they just judged that not many people used that stuff, and I'd bet they're right. So be it.

I don't see it as dumbing down as much as streamlining, personally.
I could give a shit about isometric view, but lack of a toolset is a huge bummer to me. I love mods. I can live with their "let's make everything like Mass Effect" game design philosophy as long as I can tweak things to my liking or download a mod to fix things I don't like. DAO's moddability led to people not being quite as frustrated with certain design flaws (respec potion mod and a mod to display floating text of pickpocketed items, off the top of my head). Yeah there are cheaters and perverts out there creating god items and modding Morrigan to look like a 12 year old loli, but I think it's worth putting up with for the ability to change gameplay elements to my liking.

I'm sure people will figure out other ways to alter the game even without a toolset but it's pretty hit or miss if a modding community will take off in that case.

DannoHung
2010-08-08, 4:56 PM
Why is evil always into BDSM gear?

Bester
2010-08-08, 5:39 PM
Bioware makes good games. Dragon Age 2 will very likely be a good game. I'm not sure it'll be the game I want, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Pretty much this. I'll miss the isometric view, the toolset, the ability to create my own character, and the Origins*, but "Fantasy Mass Effect" could still be a very good game.

I guess some of these elements just don't work for a main release anymore. Even I had some moments when I was missing having a voiced main character.

I just hope they think about those of us on the PC with vision issues and/or large monitors this time. Otherwise, I might have to wait for a DA2 version of this (http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=73) before I can run the game anywhere near native res. Which may take a while if they've changed the engine that much.

*I'd already given up on hopes of importing my DA1 character because of all the possible ending combinations. I wonder if they'll find some other way to make the starter area different this time around..

Bester
2010-08-08, 5:56 PM
Anyone know if DA2 PC will still have the hotbar at the bottom of the screen?

Alymon
2010-08-11, 3:52 PM
Just finished my 2nd playthrough of Dragon Age (Mage). The game is awesome. Started my 3rd playthrough as a human noble warrior.

Kamileon
2010-08-11, 5:07 PM
My first two playthroughs were rogue, though one was duelist-assassin, and the other was ranger-bard, so it played very differently. Archery gets pretty good towards the end. My 3rd/4th are tank warrior and mage, i haven't finished either yet though.

Alymon
2010-08-11, 5:17 PM
I struggled with Mage. Though part of that was that I got all the way to the last battle and then stopped playing for months. When I finally went back to it yesterday, I got to take on the hordes of darkspawn and the archdemon while struggling to remember what the controls were and what my characters were good at.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 5:56 PM
I just hope they don't take out all the RPG elements like they did in ME 2 and turn it into...I dunno.. Dungeon Keeper or something.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 5:58 PM
We've decided that having to equip your companions is too hard so we gave everyone the same sword and armor.

STREAMLINED!

Jobrill
2010-08-11, 6:06 PM
The ME2 Equipment system was awesome and at the least blew away the clunkiness that was the ME1 system.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 6:07 PM
There was an equipment system in ME2?

Drascus
2010-08-11, 6:07 PM
I just hope they don't take out all the RPG elements like they did in ME 2 and turn it into...I dunno.. Dungeon Keeper or something.

Holy shit that would own. "Now you can build the black curtains room for your dungeon. In THIS room, dear keeper, you get to spank Morrigan for running off with your baby."

Ten
2010-08-11, 6:09 PM

Yeah it really sucked that they removed the dialogue options, side quests, leveling, equipment, upgrading system, customizable party options and other RPG elements from Mass Effect in the sequel.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 6:10 PM
Holy shit that would own. "Now you can build the black curtains room for your dungeon. In THIS room, dear keeper, you get to spank Morrigan for running off with your baby."

Crap. Wrong Dungeon game. I meant Dungeon SEIGE.

Dungeon keeper was awesome.

Drascus
2010-08-11, 6:12 PM
Crap. Wrong Dungeon game. I meant Dungeon SEIGE.

Dungeon keeper was awesome.

Too late. Now I want a DA Dungeon Keeper game.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 6:17 PM
Yeah it really sucked that they removed the dialogue options, side quests, leveling, equipment, upgrading system, customizable party options and other RPG elements from Mass Effect in the sequel.

Dialogue was good. Side quests was definitely a step up. I don't know what equipment you're talking about, everyone got the same thing. Upgrading the ship was a fun filled 20 minutes of holding the right trigger and moving a cursor over a planet till my controller vibrated. And the vast majority of the party didn't really do anything after you recruited them and did their loyalty quests. They just...kinda hung out.

Anyways I like ME because it was a fun shooter with some nice RPG elements.

I just don't want DA2 to have all of its RPG elements dumbed down like they did for ME2

Ten
2010-08-11, 6:29 PM
The equipment and inventory screen in Mass Effect was a lesson in pure masochism and anyone that misses it is probably the type of person that thinks EVE Online is a fun game.

And if you think there was no equipment options in ME2 I really don't know what to tell you other then you're wrong? It didn't dump fifty-six slight variants of pistols into my inventory every time I walked from one side of the level to the other but frankly, I count that as a fucking blessing. Inventory management and equipment optimization is one of the greatest blights on action RPG's and I consider having the choice between a small field of weapons with different pros and cons to be a much more fun experience.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 6:44 PM
The equipment system underwhelmed me. I'm sure there might have been a more middle of the road compromise between the 50 billion guns in ME1 and everyone getting the same gun that you just bought at a store and using that till you can save up enough to buy a slightly better gun in ME2.

If you don't like equipment management that's fine. But i like being able to dress up my characters with fancy new armor and weapons that I had to kill a giant xmen Space sentinel for. ME2 didn't offer that.

Sprint
2010-08-11, 6:45 PM
If they're not going to make the guns mechanically different, there's no reason to have a zillion guns in the game.

Ten
2010-08-11, 7:13 PM
The equipment system underwhelmed me. I'm sure there might have been a more middle of the road compromise between the 50 billion guns in ME1 and everyone getting the same gun that you just bought at a store and using that till you can save up enough to buy a slightly better gun in ME2.

If you don't like equipment management that's fine. But i like being able to dress up my characters with fancy new armor and weapons that I had to kill a giant xmen Space sentinel for. ME2 didn't offer that.

What I'm getting from all of this is that you're pretty much dedicated to the craft of hyperbole seeing as how we've wandered from "ME2 was stripped of any RPG elements" down to "ME2 didn't fulfill my very specific compulsion of managing character inventories".

Hell, if that's the way they choose to go for DA2 I'm totally on board. I'd much rather the game be about fighting darkspawn and saving the world with my band of snarky, bantering comrades then making sure I've searched through every last corpse to see if one of them has a slightly better piece of equipment for someone in my party.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 7:39 PM
Yup. I like being able to upgrade my party with new equipment. I find that to be a big thing in RPG's. Sorry that doesn't appeal to you.

Arcman
2010-08-11, 8:29 PM
Getting different equipment and different armor is fine, but ME1's inventory was a blighted mess. You picked up a thousand different guns, of which almost all were guaranteed to be crap, but you were still stuck having to go to everyone's damn separate locker to do any meaningful comparison, and don't even get me started on the twelve thousand different ammo and weapon mods. It was a cludgy interface, and while it presented a myriad of options, most of the time they weren't all that meaningful, and more often than not it was more burdening and overwhelming than helpful.

Shriketastic
2010-08-11, 8:40 PM
Yup. I like being able to upgrade my party with new equipment. I find that to be a big thing in RPG's. Sorry that doesn't appeal to you.

the difference between this and "Stripping out every RPG element" is pretty astronomical, hth

Jobrill
2010-08-11, 8:44 PM
When said "new equipment" is 10 copies of a "new" rifle that is actually the old rifle, labeled "IX" instead of "VIII" and now with 3 more damage and .5 more range, only 1-2 of which you will use, while the rest will be converted into Omnigel that you will never use, I'd rather stick to ME2's system. At least each new gun is relatively unique.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 9:05 PM
the difference between this and "Stripping out every RPG element" is pretty astronomical, hth

Also no interaction with your party outside of their own missions as well bugged me. I really liked the party banter of Dragon Age. They had reactions to what you did in the story.

ME2 they really didn't have any personality or have any say in the story after you were done with their mission. Well. Except Miranda and Jacob. You couldn't get those guys to shut up. All those other characters though didn't really contribute much.

Talkinsquirrel
2010-08-11, 9:14 PM
Anyways I really like ME2. Mass Effect was a pretty fun shooter and yes the RPG parts that were there were really good.

I like leveling, party members that don't agree with everything I do as the PC, and having to choose between giving my thief a bow or have him Dual Weild. I just hope they don't take away the things that made Dragon Age fun to turn into a Mass Effect clone.

Drascus
2010-08-11, 9:37 PM
You do realize that ME2 had leveling, right?

Striker
2010-08-12, 4:58 AM
The equipment and inventory screen in Mass Effect was a lesson in pure masochism and anyone that misses it is probably the type of person that thinks EVE Online is a fun game.

I think EVE is a fun game, and I also believe that kicking out the equipment system was one of the greatest improvements in ME2 :P.

Kamileon
2010-08-12, 4:55 PM
There's a middle ground between ME1 and ME2.

Given that I had a whole three hours between ME1 and ME2 while the latter downloaded off Steam, at times the differences were pretty freaking jarring and honestly Archangel being Garrus is probably the only thing that kept me in it at first instead of going back to replaying ME1.

ME1's inventory was too much. The mods were fun, and actually getting new loot to put on your dude was fun, but the sheer volume was over the top. Getting another Kessler III pistol that hits for 4 when I've got one that hits for 250 on just about everyone on the team and having to spend the time to omni-gel 100+ inventory items, regularly, that sucked.

But I still feel like ME2 went too far the other way. Upgrading your stuff was cool, planet scanning, a little less cool. (though my OCD had made me very efficient at stripmining the fuck out of planets) But the fact that You get 1 maybe 2 options for a new gun in each class through the game and 0 armor options for your dudes (congrats! now you can put on a more cerberus-colored skin on them, I'm sure people like Tali and Garrus appreciate that) makes the game feel unfulfilling in that direction.

I'm digging ME2 now, but there's DEFINITELY a middle ground, damn.

Human
2010-08-12, 5:23 PM
I don't want it to be Mass Effect 1 OR 2.

I just want it to keep being the next-gen Baldur's Gate :[

Kamileon
2010-08-12, 5:31 PM
Yeah, I want Dragon Age 2 to be Dragon Age 2: Dragon Agier Boogaloo.

But I had to 2 cents on ME1/2 because I've been playing the shit out of them lately.

The Lazarus
2010-08-17, 3:55 PM
Trailer:
8Xx0pU-B_yA

Human
2010-08-17, 4:51 PM
oh my, March 8th! That's relatively soon!

Kamileon
2010-08-17, 4:53 PM
Oh my god, the fire thing, that's the demon baby, isn't it. Man I knew that was a bad idea, but Alistair... ;_;

Zetwilder
2010-08-17, 5:08 PM
Hehe. Demon baby isn't necessarily canon though, so who knows. I did like the Flemeth narration and the short frame she was in there for. She looks badass now.

Kamileon
2010-08-17, 5:14 PM
SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD

Syngyne
2010-08-17, 5:19 PM

Even Morrigan said it probably wasn't a permanent solution.

Phantom
2010-08-17, 5:22 PM
Getting different equipment and different armor is fine, but ME1's inventory was a blighted mess. You picked up a thousand different guns, of which almost all were guaranteed to be crap, but you were still stuck having to go to everyone's damn separate locker to do any meaningful comparison, and don't even get me started on the twelve thousand different ammo and weapon mods. It was a cludgy interface, and while it presented a myriad of options, most of the time they weren't all that meaningful, and more often than not it was more burdening and overwhelming than helpful.
I'd have loved to see a middle ground. Scrap the multiple variants of guns, but keeping the different ammos and mods for them. I loved setting things up so that I had Tali on scanner duty, Wrex with AP ammo and damage boosters, and myself with Scram Rails and Sledgehammer ammo for the extra CC with my Vanguard.

Kamileon
2010-08-17, 5:27 PM
Me1 could also have done with lowering the drop rate a tad. I mean, assuming you collect everyone (you apparently have the option of turning Garrus down, for example. P.S. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU) there's 6 people, plus Shepard. I DO NOT NEED 17 COMBAT SCANNER IVs.

bobsmyuncle
2010-08-17, 5:37 PM
She could be dead, IIRC DA2 is supposed to run concurrently with DA, so she could still be featured in the beginning.

Or, you know, Morrigan warned us that Flemeth is old and wily and that being killed was probably just annoying at this point.

Doc Stylo
2010-08-17, 5:46 PM
Trailer:
8Xx0pU-B_yA

Pretty cool. :) the lance/sword weapon looks cool, but I hope the game still allows you to create the "Hawke" you want to be, ex. Mage

Drascus
2010-08-17, 7:48 PM
She could be dead, IIRC DA2 is supposed to run concurrently with DA, so she could still be featured in the beginning.

Or, you know, Morrigan warned us that Flemeth is old and wily and that being killed was probably just annoying at this point.

Which is why when you confront her she's not even that angry she's just all, "Really? We're doing this now? Fine, let's get it over with. Do you mind if I use my Dragon form? I kind of like that one. You don't? Cool."

Zetwilder
2010-08-17, 9:53 PM
Pretty cool. :) the lance/sword weapon looks cool, but I hope the game still allows you to create the "Hawke" you want to be, ex. Mage

It does if I've read some Dev posts right. I haven't read anything pointing against that as it is.

Striker
2010-08-18, 6:21 AM
Flemeth is basically a very powerful spirit at this point, so losing her physical form is only a temporary setback. She just needs to wait for some mage, somewhere, to be a little careless in the Fade...

DannoHung
2010-08-18, 6:36 AM
There's a middle ground between ME1 and ME2.

Given that I had a whole three hours between ME1 and ME2 while the latter downloaded off Steam, at times the differences were pretty freaking jarring and honestly Archangel being Garrus is probably the only thing that kept me in it at first instead of going back to replaying ME1.

ME1's inventory was too much. The mods were fun, and actually getting new loot to put on your dude was fun, but the sheer volume was over the top. Getting another Kessler III pistol that hits for 4 when I've got one that hits for 250 on just about everyone on the team and having to spend the time to omni-gel 100+ inventory items, regularly, that sucked.

But I still feel like ME2 went too far the other way. Upgrading your stuff was cool, planet scanning, a little less cool. (though my OCD had made me very efficient at stripmining the fuck out of planets) But the fact that You get 1 maybe 2 options for a new gun in each class through the game and 0 armor options for your dudes (congrats! now you can put on a more cerberus-colored skin on them, I'm sure people like Tali and Garrus appreciate that) makes the game feel unfulfilling in that direction.

I'm digging ME2 now, but there's DEFINITELY a middle ground, damn.

I wouldn't have minded if the ammo mod powers from ME2 were replaced by a weapon mod system that provided the same/other benefits. That would have been interesting to have. Then they could have replaced the ammo mod powers with more interesting powers for the characters.

gamerk2
2010-08-19, 10:58 AM
Well, watching the new trailer, I am pumped for DA2.

Alymon
2010-08-19, 11:18 AM
Not sure if this was posted, but some of the DLC for Dragon Age on the 360 is discounted this week.

Awakenings is $20, Warden's Keep is $3 or $5 and Return to Ostagar is $3 or $5 (one was 3, one was 5, I forget which was which).

PMAvers
2010-08-25, 1:00 PM
Get your slappin' hand ready...

http://dragonage.bioware.com/dao/witch_hunt/

She's back... well, will be back, on September 7'th.

Phantom
2010-08-25, 1:18 PM
Knowing Bioware, I'd wager that "*Slap her*" will actually be a dialogue choice.

Kamileon
2010-08-25, 1:29 PM
I'd make a joke like "If I wanted to pay $7 to have a crazy bitch be mad at me some more, I'd call my mother." but I have free long distance soooooooooo.

But for serious, someone else is gonna have to play this DLC and make a really convincing case why I want to SPEND REAL DOLLARS on even more -7 Morrigan disapproves.

Phantom
2010-08-25, 1:31 PM
I'd make a joke like "If I wanted to pay $7 to have a crazy bitch be mad at me some more, I'd call my mother." but I have free long distance soooooooooo.

But for serious, someone else is gonna have to play this DLC and make a really convincing case why I want to SPEND REAL DOLLARS on even more -7 Morrigan disapproves.
you might get to kill her

Kamileon
2010-08-25, 1:33 PM
See, now when someone plays the DLC and is all "Hey Kami, you get the option to kill Morrigan as revenge for that "What, you didn't chuck your father into a blood mage juice-o-matic to turn him into a hp buff, MORRIGAN DISAPPROVES" thing, then I'll be down.

Drascus
2010-08-25, 1:38 PM
Fuck yes. Bitch, where's my MONEY Baby?

Zetwilder
2010-08-25, 2:05 PM
And my next game to complete is once again DA. Die in a fire DLC.

I don't mean that. Please don't be angry Bioware. I love you.

Swell
2010-08-25, 2:19 PM
Wait...how does this work out if my Warden didn't survive the game?

Kamileon
2010-08-25, 2:22 PM
I've prettymuch just been playing BioWare RPGs for months. I'm actually on KOTOR again right now. It's so.. so old. I don't overtly recommend going straight from Me2 to KOTOR.

Drascus
2010-08-25, 2:24 PM
Hahha that would be painful, yeah. KOTOR is a great game but jaysus it's old, and buggy, and old.

Kamileon
2010-08-25, 2:33 PM
So far, my favorite bug is the one where my character often gets stuck in place after combat, so I have to grab another party member and run around with them instead.

Edit: The level of the same voice actors used is a little weird, too. Like Bastila's mom is Dr. Chakwas, the chick who did Ashley Williams did several voices of unimportant characters, Carth<->Kaidan, etc.

Drascus
2010-08-25, 2:35 PM
Oh god I hate that one. It's even worse in KOTOR II

bobsmyuncle
2010-08-25, 3:43 PM
Fuck yes. Bitch, where's my MONEY Baby?
Maybe she's back to claim child support :D

Common Sensei
2010-08-25, 3:53 PM
Edit: The level of the same voice actors used is a little weird, too. Like Bastila's mom is Dr. Chakwas, the chick who did Ashley Williams did several voices of unimportant characters, Carth<->Kaidan, etc.

Mazzy Fentan <-> Female Shepard, Minsc <-> The Subject Zero project leader, etc.

And the Migrant Fleet Admiralty in Mass Effect 2 was very distracting in this regard.

travis
2010-08-25, 4:55 PM
Wait...how does this work out if my Warden didn't survive the game?if the dragon age expansion was any indication: they don't give a shit

Arcman
2010-08-25, 5:46 PM
Ok so like a while back Bioware put out another music video trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDwycv4rQaw&feature=fvw) for DA, and while being an improvement over ~*THE NEW SHIT*~ it's very much generic rock and doesn't really fit well at all.

Someone realized this and thought, "Hum, how would this work with trailer music that doesn't suck?" and made this:
MRe8ouWmkR0

It's a little crazy how well that works with little more than "play new music overtop of it", I wondered if it could make a difference for the original terrible trailer our little thread here is named for.

This took about 3min total effort. http://bit.ly/ceuNo0 (mute the left window)

gamerk2
2010-08-25, 11:02 PM
Wow, and I am just finishing up my "definitive" origin playthrough where I romance her...nice timing to say the least :D

Alymon
2010-08-27, 8:33 AM
Bioware needs to stop with the DLC. I'm loving it, but I don't have enough time for it all.

I just finished my 3rd playthrough of Origins including Return to Ostagar, Stone Prisoner and Warden's Keep. I've got all of the achievements for the core game and those DLC now.

I started Awakenings last night, but haven't done anything yet. I definitely want to get Leliana's Song and I'll probably get the Darkspawn Chronicles.

Ugh.

The Lazarus
2010-09-01, 5:48 PM
Trailer for the DLC
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-dragon-age/703831

Kamileon
2010-09-02, 12:34 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a "-18 Morrigan disapproves" as soon as you download the thing.