PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age looks so retarded

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-03-17, 7:58 PM
finally, a worse person than I am

Phantom
2010-03-17, 8:13 PM
I think there was a sticky on the bioware boards or something, saying most of the older bonus items and Warden's DLC couldn't be imported, but the RtO stuff was newer and had importing in mind.
So then, why exactly did we give them the money for those extra quests and items?

Bester
2010-03-17, 8:17 PM
Redcliffe child quest...
Did anyone else make a deal with the demon? She taught me blood magic and freed the father. All I had to do was promise she could have the kid a few years later after my quest is done. It was so evil and so cool. I think your main has to be the mage though...
Yeah, your main does have to be a mage and has to be the one to go in. Prestige Class related You don't even have to save after doing that. once you're learned it, you have it on everyone no matter what. That's why there's even some people who save, buy a class book, then load.

Fry
2010-03-18, 8:56 PM
Beat it tonight, and did the ending with both sets of major end-game choices Saving Amaranthine VS The Vigil & letting Architect live VS running him through. Pretty good expansion overall. I had a lot of fun playing it.

My only complaint would be that as a high level ass kicking two handed weapon wielding Warrior, I kicked TOO much ass. Had absolutely no problems with the battles whatsoever. Complete breeze. In most cases, I barely took any damage.

Now it's time to load up my Blood Mage and terrorize the Arling.

Midnight
2010-03-18, 11:58 PM
I've heard a lot of people complain about the "ladder speech" for the violent voice set. But I can never find out what people are talking about! What is this speech everyone hates so much? So much that there's a MOD to remove it?

Brent Not Broken
2010-03-19, 12:05 AM
I've heard a lot of people complain about the "ladder speech" for the violent voice set. But I can never find out what people are talking about! What is this speech everyone hates so much? So much that there's a MOD to remove it?It's one of the default soundclips for when you're just moving around and clicking on things and opening doors and so forth: like "How about I get you a ladder... so you can get off my back"

Striker
2010-03-19, 5:48 AM
So 'you must gather your party...' has finally found a worthy successor? :P

Fry
2010-03-19, 7:40 AM
Maybe they updated the AI for spellcasters or something; but not only do I like Anders a heck of a lot more then Morrigan or Wynne personality wise, he seems to be a heck of a lot more effective in battle. He needs a lot less micromanaging, at least for my play style.

Killjoy
2010-03-19, 10:44 AM
Awakenings craps out every time I try to install it. I'm assuming it has something to do with having acquired it through Impulse. I'll be going through their forum looking for solutions since I've already uninstalled/reinstalled Dragon Age and it still happened.

Weirdo
2010-03-21, 11:19 AM
Huge nerd sperg moment here, but the art for the pandemonium skill (http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Pandemonium) is lifted from the spell art from NWN2.

Amschel
2010-03-22, 11:20 PM
Just picked up awakening. I am not too bothered with some of the items not transfering over to the expansion. what does bother me is how i start the game with my companions at level 22 and no abilities.... I know the level cap was increased to 30 something but that still means i only have like 15 levels to give my companions abilities while my main character started with around 25. That just seems dumb to have a level 22 companion that kicks ass in the way of their attribute score and not a single ability to speak of...

Decius
2010-03-23, 1:05 AM
Do you mean your party has no abilities or just that you only have 8 levels/points to give them to the next level cap to tailor them to your taste? If the former - then there is a bug with your import, because you should start with the same abilities you ended DAO and your companions should start with a comparable number of points to distribute/some abilities already assigned.
If the latter: There is a respec book you can buy (6g a piece) that allows you to respec yourself and any of your party members.

Amschel
2010-03-23, 1:08 AM
Do you mean your party has no abilities or just that you only have 8 levels/points to give them to the next level cap to tailor them to your taste? If the former - then there is a bug with your import, because you should start with the same abilities you ended DAO and your companions should start with a comparable number of points to distribute/some abilities already assigned.
If the latter: There is a respec book you can buy (6g a piece) that allows you to respec yourself and any of your party members.

No i was talking about them not having any abilities at all. I kind of thought it might be a bug but it seemed like an odd thing to glitch out so i figured it was on purpose.... ill have to restart and hope it works right this time i guess.

Amschel
2010-03-23, 2:25 AM
oops... i figured it out. I was using a mod for the original game. One that automatically resets all of the companions abilities when i first obtain them so i can have them follow any path i want. it was conflicting with Awakening somehow... oh well.

Jay
2010-03-23, 9:30 AM
I'm going to wait until the expansion goes on sale to get it, but I started a new game last night. Gonna play a warrior chick and romance Alistair.

Midnight
2010-03-23, 9:34 AM
Alistair fucking owns. I lost my shit when I clicked on him and he said "Yeeeeeeesssssss?"

Packin' Fists
2010-03-23, 9:44 AM
Started this last night. Going to dialogue scenes splattered in blood is ridiculous. I mean the first fuckin' fight is against a couple rats and at the end you look like Carrie.

Alymon
2010-03-23, 9:54 AM
Started this last night. Going to dialogue scenes splattered in blood is ridiculous. I mean the first fuckin' fight is against a couple rats and at the end you look like Carrie.

Have you fought rats with a sword before? That shit gets real bloody real fast.

Jay
2010-03-23, 10:04 AM
Alistair fucking owns. I lost my shit when I clicked on him and he said "Yeeeeeeesssssss?"

He is by far one of the better Bioware characters.

BRAVE OR GRAVE!
2010-03-23, 11:39 AM
But he's a total Whedon knoc- Oh.

Ben Wyatt: Human Disaster
2010-03-23, 11:44 AM
But he's a total Whedon knoc- Oh.whedon characters are awesome when they're not in shitty whedon shows. firefly would have been awesome if he'd just drawn up the character synopses and handed them off to someone talented. he's basically george lucas, but for characters instead of overarching stories.

exception: dollhouse, the one instance where the show was marginally better than any of the horrible characters in it

dane
2010-03-23, 10:23 PM
quick question regarding the expansion;

ending spoilers for DA

if you made the sacrifice yourself and died while fighting the archdemon how do they handle you importing that character? is it just assumed that you're a new warden or is there some storyline to it

Jay
2010-03-23, 10:30 PM
Sten is being totally grumpy with me this playthrough. I mean, he was grumpy on my first go-round, but at least he spoke to me. Now he just kinda grunts and looks like he's gonna kill me.

Bester
2010-03-23, 10:42 PM
Sorry, my mind jumped right to trying to picture this:
firefly would have been awesome if he'd just drawn up the character synopses and handed them off to[...] george lucas.

ProfessorCirno
2010-03-23, 10:50 PM

ending spoilers for DA

if you made the sacrifice yourself and died while fighting the archdemon how do they handle you importing that character? is it just assumed that you're a new warden or is there some storyline to it

As I recall:

They just go "lol no, you did the other ending"

Nim
2010-03-23, 11:37 PM

ending spoilers for DA

They said something the effect of, "It's up to you if you want to dues ex your character from DA: O. Nothing gets said about it, it's just assumed you survived somehow."

Jay
2010-03-24, 12:04 AM
Well that's a bit lazy.

Nim
2010-03-24, 12:10 AM
Well that's a bit lazy.

Not really, your character is dead. If you decide to retcon him and break your own continuity you can't expect them to bend over backwards trying to cook up a decent story explanation.

Keep in mind the game offers a totally viable option, for dead PCs who don't want to shatter the 4th wall, in the form of the Orlesian Warden.

Jay
2010-03-24, 12:24 AM
Oh, okay then.

Midnight
2010-03-24, 2:03 AM
Need some advice from my Dragon Age peeps.

First off, what's up with Wynne (sp)? It's great having a healer but JESUS she's always out of mana. I can't keep her stocked up in it! I respeced her to be a 100% dedicated healer and I've tried giving her tons of willpower, but she's always either out or low. On the other hand, this other character I'm playing, I've got Morrigan as my main healer and she manages mana very well. What's da deal?

Also, is there some magic way of making money that I'm missing? Seriously, I'm level 17 and I've got like 198 gold. There's all these awesome items that cost an ungodly amount of money and it seems like I'll never be able to buy them!

Bester
2010-03-24, 2:41 AM
Make your own mana potions and set wynne's AI to auto use them? You can get the stuff you need at the circle's shop and get the flasks at the camp shop.

medivh
2010-03-24, 3:33 AM
Wynne will go through your mana potions like crazy. I had her AI maintain the big Spirit Healer AoE and Haste at the same time, as well as a number of reactive heals, with a number of "drink X if Y" statements in her script and there were a few battles where heal still failed halfway through the battle because Wynne had managed to chuck back 20-30 mana potions.

b.glad
2010-03-24, 4:11 AM
I never really had a problem with Wynne's mana, but this may be a mixture of me not really noticing because I was concentrating more on what my main character was doing for the most part and that I am playing on the easiest mode.

Striker
2010-03-24, 6:24 AM
Remove the 'Heroic' buffs from autocast, or at least move them way down in priority. Those eat up mana like crazy, and it's apparently impossible to keep her from chain-casting them every time the condition is met...and that includes casting on characters she has already buffed.

As for money, there's an infinite money loop (final product sells for more than the cost of the ingredients...which are in infinite supply) with herbalism.

Brian
2010-03-29, 4:48 AM
Dragons Age Origins 360/PS3 39.99 PC 34.99 (http://bit.ly/c7QcJ0)

Hakkeshu
2010-03-29, 5:17 AM
I downloaded the game saturday night, like others I have the same gripe of not being able to take my nice starfang sword with me, and my dog Prince, wtf man that dog stayed in my group the entire game, his AE stun howl was so cheap too! It was nice having a Me(rogue) Alistar(Tank) Wynne(Mage) and Prince(The BEAST) I sure hope in DA 2 Dog or we can get Dogs puppies in on the action.

Melanchthon
2010-03-29, 3:36 PM
Oh my god, I love this mod (http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=816). You go into the Fade, you finish the first scene, then every time you click the pedestal it takes you to a companion's scene. After those are done, it takes you to the Sloth demon and at the end gives you all the codices and stat gains you would have gotten on a full playthrough.

Jay
2010-03-29, 4:38 PM
Good the fade is fucking dumb. It's the sewer level of DA

Melanchthon
2010-03-29, 8:45 PM
Good the fade is fucking dumb. It's the sewer level of DA

It was absolutely amazing the first time through. After that I never wanted to play it again.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-03-29, 9:30 PM
I never really had a problem with Wynne's mana, but this may be a mixture of me not really noticing because I was concentrating more on what my main character was doing for the most part and that I am playing on the easiest mode.playing on the easiest mode is great, it is how I beat all my games :)

b.glad
2010-03-29, 9:31 PM
playing on the easiest mode is great, it is how I beat all my games :)

Yep, that's me, I'm that guy.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-03-29, 9:32 PM
you're not a guy!

also: the fade is AWFUL the first time, probably awful every time

Danimo
2010-03-29, 9:38 PM
I really liked The Fade :shy:. It was cool when I went through it in the mage intro and I liked going to back to it.

still haven't actually finished this game though. Still stuck at the end of the stupid dwarf demonspawn-infested caves shit. Dead Trenches or whatever. I hate it.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-03-29, 9:40 PM
I liked the dwarf caves shit :shy:

repetitive as fuck dungeon crawling is what I live for

Danimo
2010-03-29, 9:47 PM
I liked the dwarf caves shit :shy:

repetitive as fuck dungeon crawling is what I live for

Its really just this end part that's kicking my ass that I hate. The dungeon was actually fun and I was happy to get to it after having to deal with dumb dwarves and their dumb politics. The only cool dwarf is that girl that wants to study magic. I sent her off to the Mage Tower (I guess she can help clean up the mess) because maker knows I wouldn't wish anyone to stay in the terrible dwarf city.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-03-29, 9:51 PM
dwarf politics were so boring, I don't even remember who I made king

Riot
2010-03-30, 11:33 PM
DragonAge Awakening was a blast.

Expansion SPOILERS

I wish they would have fleshed out the story between Mother and Father better.

And anyone who chooses to let Father live is a dick - you really want a faction of darkspawn who have to have grey warden blood to be intelligent and who kidnap women and mutate them into multi-titted beasts to survive?

Also what was the deal with that dwarf chick that was with the father anyway?

I had Oghren at the end and his response to mother was great "That's a lot of nipples"
Then Ander's quipped "they just get bigger and bigger on the way down".

The Lazarus
2010-03-31, 4:12 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=4791

Midnight
2010-03-31, 4:17 PM
Oh hey that looks pretty cool

Orson Scott Card

http://i39.tinypic.com/25r1maf.jpg

BRAVE OR GRAVE!
2010-03-31, 4:17 PM
OSC? Pass.

Sprint
2010-03-31, 4:24 PM
So I restarted and am having a bit more fun this play through. I am still not a fan of the combat system (current beef: the circles that show your location are too small, it's too easy to get totally surrounded by opponents who realistically should be maiming one another with how wildly they swing), but I win through lots of cheese (chugging health pots, having Morrigan nuke people manually). I made my dude a bit TOO good looking. It's kind of amazing. My opponents should be throwing down their weapons rather than risk his pretty face.

ANYWAY. Alistair is in fact awesome. Some of the graphical effects in the game are really sweet (hot air effect, various blurs, etc).

Game balance really does suck, though.

Nim
2010-03-31, 7:54 PM
Game balance really does suck, though.

While this is true you can totally make it work for you.

It's been a failing of pretty much every single player RPG ever that once you learn enough about the system you can game it to become ludicrously overpowered.

Sprint
2010-03-31, 7:55 PM
Yeah, but the game balance dies the moment you recruit Morrigan, or earlier if you go mage. I mean it's kind of nutty.

Nim
2010-03-31, 8:01 PM
Yar, I love the Mage class, but it's pretty broken. Even on the hardest setting the game is pretty trivial with two Mages.

Maybe I'll try one of the hardcore mods next time.

dane
2010-03-31, 9:04 PM
i've just started a second runthrough with a dual-wielding city elf and i'm amazed at how good it is, i knew two handed weapon style was shit when i took it but had no idea how shit it was, i'm currently soloing fights that i needed backup for as a two-hander. Hell, i've just gotten to Sulchers Pass and haven't fallen in combat once, my two handed warrior had died a dozen times by then.

Nim
2010-03-31, 9:20 PM
Zevran with a Sword/Dagger Cunning build is the drop DPS in the group I run.

Dagger/Dagger Cunning is the best DPS build apparently, but I like having a sword.

Thread with lots of Numbers. (http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-Origins/Dragon-Age-Origins-Gameplay-Forum-SPOILERS/DPS-calculations-for-a-DW-rogue-223777-1.html)

medivh
2010-04-01, 2:46 AM
The funniest goddamn part of the game is going invisible and just laying down a billion traps, then backstabbing somebody and running for the door while they all get bogged down in the traps.

Bonus points if you Persistent AOE nuke the area they're bogged down in.

Sprint
2010-04-01, 7:02 AM
Stealth implementation is also shite

Melanchthon
2010-04-03, 11:18 PM
Holy shit, playing currently as a level 16 Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage. I feel like I could easily solo most of these fights on nightmare. I was having issues with every other swing whiffing until I pumped some points into Dex and started leaving Miasma on. Now I pretty much run around with Arcane Warrior, Miasma and Haste on and three-shot anything with the 2H Starfang. :awesome:

Killjoy
2010-04-16, 3:30 PM
I hit a small but annoying miss by the game's logic in the expansion:

The game did acknowledge my status as the Prince Consort and the Queen acknowledged me as her husband, which made me happy.

However, at one point Loghain showed up, which was a surprise since he's supposed to be DEAD. At least he brought up my marriage to his daughter, and he made a crack about there not being an heir.

Nim
2010-04-16, 7:46 PM
There's some pretty buggy continuity shit. For example there is an epilogue on Awakening for Morrigan, but you almost need to cheat for it to show up.

There are also letters in the game files from Leliana, Zevran and I think Shale. However they don't show up in the campaign for whatever reason.

I know I can't expect every game to have the carryover of ME 2, but I wish they'd smoothed things out a bit more.

The Lazarus
2010-05-05, 3:08 PM
Next DLC: Darkspawn Chronicles http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

You now fight as the Darkspawn! The city of Denerim, jewel of Ferelden, girds itself for war. As a hurlock vanguard, you alone hold the power to make thralls of your fellow darkspawn and drive them into the heat of battle. Heed the archdemon's call--Denerim must burn!
A look at an alternate history: what if your character had died in the Joining ceremony, and the Grey Wardens marched under Alistair's command instead?

Nerd Ard Ri
2010-05-05, 3:10 PM
There's some pretty buggy continuity shit. For example there is an epilogue on Awakening for Morrigan, but you almost need to cheat for it to show up.

What is it?

Maxime
2010-05-05, 3:12 PM
what if your character had died in the Joining ceremony, and the Grey Wardens marched under Alistair's command instead?

I guess that explain why the darkspawns now have a shot at it :smug:

Jobrill
2010-05-05, 3:22 PM
Hahahaha. Poor Alistair. I love the dude, but there was a reason I never made him Queen without Anora or Female Cousland to keep him in line. Glad to see vindication on that. >_>

gamerk2
2010-05-05, 3:23 PM
Next DLC: Darkspawn Chronicles http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Wow, thats something. Only thing would be better would be Jory/Garreth not dieing...

Nim
2010-05-05, 7:41 PM
What is it?

There's a big'ol thread over at the Bioware forum. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/47/index/1798678/1

In gist, there's an Awakening Epilogue for Morrigan, but since the events of DA: O lead to her getting flagged as "friend" near the end of the game the check for that epilogue always fails in Awakening.

As for what happens: My understanding is that you just wander off to look for her, like you did at the end of the main game.

Nerd Ard Ri
2010-05-05, 10:56 PM
There's a big'ol thread over at the Bioware forum. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/47/index/1798678/1

In gist, there's an Awakening Epilogue for Morrigan, but since the events of DA: O lead to her getting flagged as "friend" near the end of the game the check for that epilogue always fails in Awakening.

As for what happens: My understanding is that you just wander off to look for her, like you did at the end of the main game.
Huh. That's kinda disappointing actually.

Whiplash
2010-05-18, 2:54 PM
Dragon Age: The Darkspawn Chronicles is out. $5 DLC set in an alternate reality where your character died during the joining and the Grey Wardens are lead by Alistair. Beating it unlocks some kind of epic weapon in DA:O and DA:OA apparently.

edit: FUCKING SMILEYS

Nerd Ard Ri
2010-05-18, 3:50 PM
Dragon Age: The Darkspawn Chronicles is out. $5 DLC set in an alternate reality where your character died during the joining and the Grey Wardens are lead by Alistair. Beating it unlocks some kind of epic weapon in DA:O and DA:OA apparently.

edit: FUCKING SMILEYS

Buuuuuuuut not for the ps3

Nim
2010-05-18, 4:02 PM
Yeah, but who was dumb enough to buy it on the PS3?

Nerd Ard Ri
2010-05-18, 4:04 PM
Yeah, but who was dumb enough to buy it on the PS3?
Yes, how dumb of my roommate and me to buy a game on a platform the game runs on.

Midnight
2010-05-18, 4:07 PM
More like who was dumb enough to buy it on the 360. If you're going console, PS3 is the best bet. ALWAYS BET ON SONY

Jobrill
2010-05-18, 4:14 PM
I've sort of quasi fallen out of love with Dragon Age to the point where I haven't even properly finished Awakenings, but I'm still p. tempted to pick this up just for the fun of destroying my old party without mercy, and because there's apparently codex entries on how Alistair chooses to "play the game" when he's in charge, which might be sort of interesting.

Whiplash
2010-05-18, 5:11 PM
More like who was dumb enough to buy it on the 360. If you're going console, PS3 is the best bet. ALWAYS BET ON SONY
So awesome it only took like 4 years to start to try and catch up to everything else. :smug: But enough about console wars, how is the actual DLC?

Fry
2010-05-18, 10:01 PM
I burned through the new DLC in about 2 hours. Pretty light. Not even worth the $4 really.

Jobrill
2010-05-18, 10:05 PM
So apparently in the alternate timeline, Alistair names his dog Barkspawn, doesn't take Ohgren as a party member, and hooks up with Leilana, but dumps her to marry Anora and become king, among other things.

I sort of have a newfound respect for the dude now.

Sheepy
2010-05-25, 7:33 PM
I hate online activated DLC. Last time I played was when Return to Ostagar was released and had no problems then. Decided to finally get around to playing the expansion today, but none of my DLC is working anymore. Says I'm unauthorized to use it even though I'm logged into my account that it's linked to. Nothing I've tried has fixed it, so I'm in the process of redownloading and reinstalling the game now :\

FriggenJ
2010-05-25, 8:44 PM
Stealth implementation is also shite
Not when you get combat stealth. I like the difficulty curve, if you micromanage everything it gets a lot easier but it doesn't become a cakewalk (Very Hard Broodmother/Archdemon come to mind).

Striker
2010-05-26, 4:49 AM
I hate online activated DLC. Last time I played was when Return to Ostagar was released and had no problems then. Decided to finally get around to playing the expansion today, but none of my DLC is working anymore. Says I'm unauthorized to use it even though I'm logged into my account that it's linked to. Nothing I've tried has fixed it, so I'm in the process of redownloading and reinstalling the game now :\

Did you buy it on Steam? When that happened to me it was a Steam issue, needed a forced reinstall of the Steam files, not the game.

Sheepy
2010-05-26, 9:50 AM
Did you buy it on Steam? When that happened to me it was a Steam issue, needed a forced reinstall of the Steam files, not the game.

Nope, I bought it from Impulse. Reinstalling the game seems to have fixed it.

Hawque
2010-05-26, 10:15 AM

Nope, I bought it from Impulse. Reinstalling the game seems to have fixed it.Lucky. Mine was a Steam issue as well because I'd moved my Steam folder to my larger drive when my collection got too large. I ended up having to reinstall Steam completely, including redownloading all of my games.

Though I only figured that out after redownloading Dragon Age Origins and Awakening twice beforehand.

Mandelbrot
2010-05-26, 10:19 AM
Lucky. Mine was a Steam issue as well because I'd moved my Steam folder to my larger drive when my collection got too large. I ended up having to reinstall Steam completely, including redownloading all of my games.

Though I only figured that out after redownloading Dragon Age Origins and Awakening twice beforehand.

If you move the Steam folder and reinstall Steam to the same location, Steam will find all of your games and revalidates the data.

Bylak
2010-05-26, 10:25 AM
So apparently in the alternate timeline, Alistair names his dog Barkspawn

There's a PA for everything =) (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/6/)

Jobrill
2010-05-26, 10:35 AM
There's a PA for everything =) (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/6/)

Yes, I imagine that was where they got the name. Very good. You cracked the code. :)

Nim
2010-05-27, 8:45 PM
Someone started a Machinima, voice acting is pretty decent.

fRVTl2ii8BM

Jobrill
2010-06-07, 11:53 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/07/dragon-age-anime-due-in-2011/

ALISTAIR-KUN *_*

Sprint
2010-06-07, 11:57 AM
Hey guys, I'm at the part near the beginning where you're doing the first three "choose where to go" missions, and I went to the woods to help the elves first. I'm down in the catacombs with the werewolves, and my guy is trying to be a hardass with the werewolves, as I am not down with disease and curse-based cultures. There's the bit before they take you to their leader, and I tried to give 'em the big fuck you, but JESUS CHRIST the numbers they throw at you are INSANE. Is that a part where I'm just supposed to go make nice?

All I want is some nice pelts :(

Yunara
2010-06-07, 12:04 PM
The fight is difficult no matter who you side with.

Archangel3d
2010-06-07, 12:15 PM
Yeah, that fight is not easy at all. I was fortunate enough to have a few nice spells to control the battle, and having Wynn really helped. The only thing harder than going Elves first is going Dwarves first.

Lapak
2010-06-07, 12:24 PM
I don't know if the kill-the-werewolves fight you're talking about is one of them, but a general note about that kind of confrontation:

(Spoiler contains strategic advice based on how the program is set up in these sequences rather than an 'in-game' rationale; don't read if you object to that. There are no plot points or story elements under the spoiler.)
In several fights where there is a 'leader' figure and a lot of (sometimes very strong) minions, the fight will end when you down the leader regardless of how many minions are still up. Focusing fire on the leader while just using a tank or crowd control to slow down the minions may be an easier way to end the fight than grinding down the support and THEN turning on the boss. I mean, there's SOME in-game rationale for this, if the leader is somehow controlling the minions, but otherwise it makes less sense.

Striker
2010-06-07, 12:29 PM
The fight is difficult no matter who you side with.

The fight against Zathrian is actually one of the easiest in the game if you know the trick...

Alistair's area dispel will break the hold effect on the werewolves. Zathrian goes down roughly 5 seconds after that.

Archangel3d
2010-06-07, 1:01 PM
The fight against Zathrian is actually one of the easiest in the game if you know the trick...

Alistair's area dispel will break the hold effect on the werewolves. Zathrian goes down roughly 5 seconds after that.

Not only does this work very well, it also makes a lot of sense in-game and is a very logical "a-ha" moment of revelation/puzzle solving, and thus I approve of it even if it does make the fight a bit easy.

Yunara
2010-06-07, 1:31 PM
If you are going to the forest first, there's a good chance you don't have that yet.

FriggenJ
2010-06-07, 1:44 PM
Hey guys, I'm at the part near the beginning where you're doing the first three "choose where to go" missions, and I went to the woods to help the elves first. I'm down in the catacombs with the werewolves, and my guy is trying to be a hardass with the werewolves, as I am not down with disease and curse-based cultures. There's the bit before they take you to their leader, and I tried to give 'em the big fuck you, but JESUS CHRIST the numbers they throw at you are INSANE. Is that a part where I'm just supposed to go make nice?

All I want is some nice pelts :(
You should totally fuck over the elves. I never had the heart to do it but having werewolves on your side is badass.

Yunara
2010-06-07, 1:48 PM
Too bad the Elves are more useful in the last fight imo. Since they can hit the boss.

Striker
2010-06-07, 1:48 PM
You should totally fuck over the elves. I never had the heart to do it but having werewolves on your side is badass.

A little warning: If you go with the 'evil'/I-don't-give-a-shit-badass options, you'll get screwed in the final battle.

You really, REALLY need allies with ranged attacks there. And that means elves or mages. So if you backed the templars and recruited the werewolves, that final battle is going to be an utter pain in the ass.

FriggenJ
2010-06-07, 1:50 PM
A little warning: If you go with the 'evil'/I-don't-give-a-shit-badass options, you'll get screwed in the final battle.

You really, REALLY need allies with ranged attacks there. And that means elves or mages. So if you backed the templars and recruited the werewolves, that final battle is going to be an utter pain in the ass.
Lies I did the last battle without using the support options at all. It was pretty fun.

medivh
2010-06-07, 2:49 PM
Lies I did the last battle without using the support options at all. It was pretty fun.

I did all of the battles until just before the Dragon without support because I completely forgot, so I deployed Dwarves right outside the Dragon area, let them all die (or maybe I dismissed them), deployed elves, walked into the dragon, waited for the elves to die and deployed wizards. Christ that was a cake-walk with all that support

ModusPwnens
2010-06-07, 3:50 PM
So I just got to the first village where you start getting a bunch of quests (you have morrigan now, that chantry rogue shows up, and there's some qurani dude in a cage), and I still haven't gotten some new robes for my mage. He looks like shit! Where and when can I get some new duds!

Jobrill
2010-06-07, 3:51 PM
There's not very many Robe graphics, and they pretty much all look horrible, sorry dude.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-07, 3:52 PM
Brb, re rolling two-hander

Sprint
2010-06-07, 3:54 PM
Dirty OP mages can get bent

Sam
2010-06-07, 3:57 PM
are two-handed warriors still gimp?

Jobrill
2010-06-07, 4:02 PM
Two-Handed Warriors are my least favorite playstyle, at least. For me it's either dual-wield rogue or mage.

But plate is still the only armor type that looks halfway decent on most characters, so there's that problem too.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-07, 4:26 PM
Why would you do that

[edit] Make only one class look awesome, I mean

medivh
2010-06-07, 4:34 PM
Two-Handed Warriors are my least favorite playstyle, at least. For me it's either dual-wield rogue or mage.

But plate is still the only armor type that looks halfway decent on most characters, so there's that problem too.

Roll battlemage in heavy armor

laugh

Jobrill
2010-06-07, 4:43 PM
Roll battlemage in heavy armor

laugh

Well yes, I have done that. But that just feels like cheating. >:|

ModusPwnens
2010-06-10, 1:29 PM
Ok, so how's Zevran? Right now my party is nuker mage (me), Morrigan for incredibly useful support, Sten for two-handed DPS, and Alistair for tanking. I want to swap out one of the warriors for Zevran, since they both kind of suck at their jobs, but is he even worth it? If so, who should I banish?

Jobrill
2010-06-10, 1:30 PM
I'd banish Sten. Dual Dagger Rogues > Two-handed warriors, all things being equal.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-10, 1:32 PM
Peace, Sten. Gimme all that shit back.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-10, 1:36 PM
Is there a way to prompt the switch manually? I've only ever seen the option when going out into the world after a new character has been introduced

Human
2010-06-10, 1:39 PM
Go to camp?

also I was a dual-wield warrior and it was pretty badass.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-10, 1:40 PM
Word, thanks

ModusPwnens
2010-06-10, 1:42 PM
What do these approval rating even do? Alistair fucking hates me

Killjoy
2010-06-10, 1:43 PM
Is there a way to prompt the switch manually? I've only ever seen the option when going out into the world after a new character has been introduced
Switch what? Party members? Exit camp, or in some zones the icon showing multiple people standing together will be lit which means clicking it will let you swap people out.

Phantom
2010-06-10, 1:44 PM
Zevran is a single-target blender of death. Assassin talents plus momentum will tear most things apart. The only thing to really worry about are dragons and other mobs with rear-quarter attacks.

Common Sensei
2010-06-10, 1:47 PM
What do these approval rating even do? Alistair fucking hates me

High approval unlocks stat bonuses for all, each character getting a specific stat boost. I think most, if not all, have a sidequest that is generally unlocked once they trust you. Romance options also open up if applicable.

If the approval rating drops too low, that character will leave the group.

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-10, 2:34 PM
High approval unlocks stat bonuses for all, each character getting a specific stat boost. I think most, if not all, have a sidequest that is generally unlocked once they trust you. Romance options also open up if applicable.

If the approval rating drops too low, that character will leave the group.
Except Alistair, there are two ways to get him to leave and they are both endgame plot related. If you do things he doesn't like he'll bitch you out occasionally and he won't gain his approval related stat bonus but he won't leave. Alistair and Leliana also have approval related personality changes you can trigger after their sidequests, but they aren't major. Basically you can tell Alistair to sack up and he'll be more assertive during one plot scenario toward the end of the game and he'll get angry if you don't let him do what he wants. I didn't notice any change with Leliana but people say it's there so w/e.

Also Dog, you can't lower his approval at all. And I think Sten will try to fight you first instead of leaving if he hates you.

Striker
2010-06-10, 2:42 PM
As for dropping the 2h warrior...it depends on your main character's class. 2h warriors synergize extremely well with rogues thanks to that 'prone target = autocrit' ability they get and the many, many knockdowns a 2h warrior can dish out. So in my rogue playthrough, Sten or Oghren were pretty much always part of the team.

With any other main, though, you'd have to constantly micromanage the party rogue to get the most out of that effect...overall not worth it.

Common Sensei
2010-06-10, 2:45 PM
As for dropping the 2h warrior...it depends on your main character's class. 2h warriors synergize extremely well with rogues thanks to that 'prone target = autocrit' ability they get and the many, many knockdowns a 2h warrior can dish out. So in my rogue playthrough, Sten or Oghren were pretty much always part of the team.

With any other main, though, you'd have to constantly micromanage the party rogue to get the most out of that effect...overall not worth it.

Last I checked, there was a few combat rebalance mods out that made archery pretty good. Do any of the mods out there fix 2h warriors?

Sheepy
2010-06-10, 5:26 PM
2H Warriors really aren't as bad as people make them out to be. The only thing that really puts dual-wielders ahead of them is the fact that elemental damage runes don't scale based on weapon speed, so daggers get a much larger benefit from them. But 2H Warriors are perfectly fine to play, and have some really useful abilities.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-10, 8:59 PM
Welp, the Andraste-dragon is stupidly powerful

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-10, 10:36 PM
Welp, the Andraste-dragon is stupidly powerful
Shale is immune to knockdown, and Alistair has the option to use high defense stances and high end armors. Other than that, treat it like an MMO boss - let your tank gain aggro, then position the dragon away from your squishies. Melee DPS will be at a disadvantage due to dragon stomps, kicks, and tail whip. If necessary abuse the hell out of the infinite elfroot at the dalish camp. That way you can have piles of health potions and replace your healer with more DPS.

If she kicks your ass anyway, leave and come back when you're higher level and better equipped. Or just turn the difficulty down for this one fight http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/bobsmyuncle/Smileys/emot-ssh.gif

Jobrill
2010-06-10, 10:41 PM
Cone of Cold is the secret weapon.

gamerk2
2010-06-11, 6:49 AM
^^ Yep, CoC works wonders, even though its gimped slightly now. Prior to the patch that nerfed CoC, I beat the high dragon at level 7.

The main problem is the fact the Dragon can near insta-kill any party member by grabbing you in its mouth; you basically need regen+healer to keep that member up. And in my case, its usually Allister that goes down this way...

Worst case: Just learn herbalism and make about 100 Health Polices.

Striker
2010-06-11, 8:16 AM
Again, have the golem tank that. Shale is immune to the grab-and-shake move as well.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-15, 6:17 PM
OKAY SO:

I beat Dragon Age the other day. Is the expansion any good, because I really wanna kill even more darkspawn :crinkle:

Whiplash
2010-06-15, 6:38 PM
The better question is is it worth $40?

Phantom
2010-06-15, 6:42 PM
The better better question is can you wait until the weekend, when Steam is planning to do their Dragon Age sale?

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-15, 6:42 PM
oh sweet, how do I install steam on my xbox?

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-15, 7:09 PM
The better question is is it worth $40?
It was pretty good if you just want to blow up some darkspawn, but it is in no way worth $40. There's maybe 10-15 hours of content and there wasn't much replay value IMO.

Also I'm miffed that the expansion rewards you with (slightly) more content if you act like a terrible Grey Warden. You can ally with a group of intelligent darkspawn and spare another darkspawn's life and you get a) bonus information about how the last blight started and b) a bonus ending slide where the darkspawn you save becomes like a darkspawn Batman, he wears a mask and saves people from bandits (and sometimes accidentally transmits disease, oops!). You can probably just find all this on the wiki and spoil yourself without paying so much.

I don't mean to say it's awful, just overpriced. The amount of content compared to the original is so uneven that I think it's easy to get buyer's remorse. And you don't get to hang with any of the old guys, except Oghren, you don't even get to keep your dog. I'd say it's probably worth 15 or 20 at most.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-15, 7:13 PM
Yeah I already knew you couldn't bring your dog. That is why I was hesitating.

Can you bang any of the new party members? Awkward sex scenes are pretty much what I get bioware games for now.

edit: the only problem I have with a darkspawn Batman is that he isn't a playable character!

Yunara
2010-06-15, 7:31 PM
There is no romancing at all in the expansion.

ModusPwnens
2010-06-15, 7:32 PM
Just smooched the hell out of Morrigan the other night. :gleam:

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-15, 7:35 PM
Just smooched the hell out of Morrigan the other night. :gleam:
the best is having her and Alistair in your party and continually stopping your adventuring to make out with her

ModusPwnens
2010-06-15, 10:56 PM
the best is having her and Alistair in your party and continually stopping your adventuring to make out with her

First of all, how the hell do you prompt that? Secondly, does Alistair react hilariously?

Nim
2010-06-15, 11:06 PM
You just talk to her and kiss her. Can do it any time if the romance is going and you get a different reaction depending on who's in the party.

Pretty sure it works with all the romance options.

Glorfindel
2010-06-15, 11:08 PM
First of all, how the hell do you prompt that?
Pretty sure it's just one of the convo options when you're romantically involved with her.
e: dammit

FriggenJ
2010-06-15, 11:11 PM
are two-handed warriors still gimp?
As dps? Yes. But they play great melee-level crowd control that can survive focus fire.

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-16, 1:51 PM
Yeah I already knew you couldn't bring your dog. That is why I was hesitating.

Can you bang any of the new party members? Awkward sex scenes are pretty much what I get bioware games for now.

edit: the only problem I have with a darkspawn Batman is that he isn't a playable character!
The problem with the darkspawn Batman is that I played the expansion with a hardline Grey Warden character. I killed the hell out of him and only found out about his crimefighting by reading spoilers. Grey Wardens ruin everything!

And nope, there is no awkward romance plot at all. The party characters were pretty boring (I did like the Legion of the Dead dwarf girl and Justice was a cool zombie paladin), and one guy's personal quest is a straight up repeat of Alistair's (take him to the city to meet his sister and have a personal revelation). It's pretty obvious they put their junior team on this while their primary guys are working on the KOTOR MMO, or DA2 or whatever.

Re: two handed warriors, if you play the expansion the spirit warrior spec will help on the dps front. You still won't be doing as much as a DW warrior would with that spec, but you'll be plenty able to mow down darkspawn with the rest of your party. Keep in mind that xpac content is completely separate from the OC (unless there's a mod for that), so it won't do you any good if you're stuck on the high dragon.

Morrigan makes a pretty funny comment if you're in a relationship with Alistair. She'll remark that he must be great in bed because you sure couldn't be attracted to his personality. Does he say anything similar to dudes who are with Morrigan? They were probably my favorite party members, with Sten or Shale filling in the third spot.

Have you guys ever done the threesome with Isabella (the duelist trainer in Denerim at the Pearl) with a female character and Leliana while Oghren is in the party? He faints.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-16, 2:31 PM
if you kiss Morrigan, Alistair will make a comment about how he's going to projectile vomit. Morrigan responds with "what's that Alistair? We're not listening :)" before ramming her tongue down your throat.

it rules.You just talk to her and kiss her. Can do it any time if the romance is going and you get a different reaction depending on who's in the party.

Pretty sure it works with all the romance options.I kept trying to do it once I'd banged Leliana but apparently she is too shy to make out in public, because the dialogue option is never there.

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-16, 2:45 PM
Since I said price was an issue with Awakenings, I thought I'd mention that it looks like there will be a sale on Steam (http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/clusters/frontpage/ea_week_-_sunday/promo_image_english.jpg) this Sunday so if you have the original via Steam you could get the expansion on the cheap.

The Lazarus
2010-06-16, 3:18 PM
Speaking of Leliana: http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Assume the role of Leliana, a young bard involved in a criminal ring that deals in political secrets. Accompanying her mentor Marjolaine on a high-risk mission, Leliana soon finds herself entangled in a game of intrigue that she cannot escape with just her beauty, charm, or stealth. The only way out of this game is to kill or be killed.

Features:
Explore Leliana's dangerous past and why she joined the Chantry
Fully voiced cinematic experience brings the characters to life
Unlock a unique reward that transfers into your Awakening and Origins campaign

Ben Wyatt: Human Disaster
2010-06-16, 3:18 PM
the unique reward is a pg sex scene with leliana

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-16, 3:24 PM
I'm not going to buy Leliana's Adventures even more than I didn't buy Darkspawn Adventures

gimme DLC where I can actually use the characters I have been leveling up and controlling for the whole game. That should be the whole point of RPG downloadable content :angry:

Phantom
2010-06-16, 3:45 PM
I would buy a DLC that chronicles Dog's life before he became infected by the Darkspawn.

Mark every territory! Find new random crap in the middle of nowhere!

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-19, 5:00 PM
Well I bought the expansion anyway!

and hahahaha I can't get over what a casual thing the Joining suddenly is now.

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-19, 5:48 PM
Yeah, it's like now you can grab any wino off the street and make him choke down poison blood. And have a 100% success rate!

The PC is also terrible at keeping Grey Warden secrets, your castellan shouldn't be anywhere near the top secret killer ritual, let alone in charge of performing it. The organization really fell apart after Duncan died.

Nim
2010-06-19, 6:07 PM
The expansion in general was pretty lacking in quality. It's fun and I enjoy it, but it just feels so threadbare.

It's honestly the biggest reason I want the next Dragon Age to be a totally new story and cast. I just don't think they'll be able to match the bar set by Mass Effect for carry over continuity.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-19, 7:28 PM
Yeah I am still enjoying it, it is more dungeon crawling monster killing so I am happy.

Athos
2010-06-22, 4:45 PM
I started playing this after wraping up Mass Effect 2.

Its fun, but the dialog seems so bland compared to what they did in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I think not having your character actually deliver lines kind of blows out the immersive factor for me.

Sully
2010-06-22, 4:49 PM
I started playing this after wraping up Mass Effect 2.

Its fun, but the dialog seems so bland compared to what they did in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I think not having your character actually deliver lines kind of blows out the immersive factor for me.

So if I'm going to be getting ME 1/2 and DA: O soon, I should play DA: O first?

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-22, 4:54 PM
I found Dragon Age a pretty hard game to really get into and enjoy in the first place, I started 3 games before I finally pushed myself to beat it. It is a really good game and I ultimately loved it but, I dunno, that initial hump took me awhile.

If you go into it with preconceived notions derived from Mass Effect, despite the two being very different kinds of games, you'll probably have a lot of trouble getting into it too. I know they were both done by Bioware, but drawing any closer association between the two than that would be a mistake.

Bester
2010-06-22, 4:59 PM
Yeah, I went into it expecting a spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate and other than Deep Roads, I loved it.

I think DA2 really needs to have multiplayer. However, I seem to be in the minority of those who used to play the Baldur's Gate series over a LAN.

BRAVE OR GRAVE!
2010-06-22, 5:03 PM
DA2 needs an interesting story, not half-arsed multiplayer.

Jobrill
2010-06-22, 5:05 PM
I'd rather they work on balancing classes and streamlining single player gameplay over creating a new multiplayer option.

Bester
2010-06-22, 5:08 PM
I know. Which is why I'm not holding my breath for it. The short space between them has me concerned enough already, but it is Bioware. Just still wish we could play the main campaign co-op like we could the BG games.

Nim
2010-06-22, 5:12 PM
But then you miss out on Bioware's biggest strength in RPG making, their NPCs.

Bester
2010-06-22, 5:14 PM
You didn't have to fill all six spots with custom chars. We'd usually just make the main char on the host machine and split control of NPCs.

But I can see how some of the ways multi worked on IE games might not work today. And yes, I love Bio NPCs. That's the main reason I rarely play the IWD games from BlackIsle. Not sure I even finished the second one.

Nim
2010-06-22, 5:19 PM
Yeah, but in Dragon Age there's not a lot of room with only four character slots.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-22, 5:20 PM
While multiplayer dungeon crawling in DA would be sweet, multiplayer everything else in DA sounds like it'd be the biggest bore in the world. :/

Nim
2010-06-22, 5:28 PM
Hey just hang out here for about ten minutes while I chat up this NPC, k?

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-22, 5:30 PM
Hey just hang out here for about ten minutes while I chat up this NPC, k?
Maybe if it had Mass Effect style interrupts so I can cockblock my friends.

Nim
2010-06-22, 5:34 PM
Maybe if it had Mass Effect style interrupts so I can cockblock my friends.

I think Bioware could make a really awesome co-op RPG using systems like this. Or duel NPC interactions, say you had to play good cop bad cop. All sorts of potential, but it's something you'd have to design the game around rather than tack onto a single player game.

Also it'd never happen in a million years, bit of a stumbling block there.

Mark Waters
2010-06-22, 5:36 PM
I think Bioware could make a really awesome co-op RPG using systems like this. Or duel NPC interactions, say you had to play good cop bad cop. All sorts of potential, but it's something you'd have to design the game around rather than tack onto a single player game.

Also it'd never happen in a million years, bit of a stumbling block there.

Aren't they doing stuff like this for The Old Republic?

Athos
2010-06-22, 5:37 PM
Since NPC interactions are going to be a big part of SW: Old Republic, I'm curious how they handled it in that and if it could be ported to something like Dragon Age on a smaller scale.

Nim
2010-06-22, 5:39 PM
Aren't they doing stuff like this for The Old Republic?

That's what they say they're doing, but I'll believe it when I see it. It is an MMO after all.

Bester
2010-06-22, 5:40 PM
Heh, yeah, the best BG did was to have an option to have dialogs not go to everyone. Everyone still got cutscenes of course, but one person could be doing one quest while another is stealing stuff, organizing inventory, buying, etc. That has the problem of missing important info though which might cause problems if you aren't on a LAN.

Then there would be the great cases where one of us would get into a fight too big to handle while the other is stuck talking to someone.

In the case of glitches, it would sometimes be the person starting the fight still talking.

Mark Waters
2010-06-22, 5:45 PM
I think multiplayer DA could be fuckin' awesome. It would take some major retooling of a lot of the gameplay elements, especially how the narrative revolves around your character. If they could use the Origins system to work for a group of player characters in the way it works for the main character in DA:O, it could be pretty compelling. For example, a "childhood friends" origin, or a "fated to come together" origin, and so on. They could use that as a foundation and then instead of using just your origins to adjust the interactions, make your group's reputation and deeds change them. But this would require a measure of persistence in the people you play the game with, so something more general and impersonal might have to suffice.

Bester
2010-06-22, 5:53 PM
If they stick to the four member party, they may just have to allow others to take over a BIO NPC or two. They wouldn't be able to have MP have a larger party than SP without rebalancing so the more custom chars, the less NPCs.

Other games seem to be bringing up this idea of jumping into NPCs in someone else's SP game so maybe someday this will happen, but hoping for it in DA2 is probably too much considering the amount of time between the games.

Mark Waters
2010-06-22, 6:03 PM
I think four characters is a solid number, especially for multiplayer. That's not a lot of players to organize for a game. But I think I'm looking at it from a Left 4 Dead perspective, where it's not "drop in and join my game" so much as it is "let's start a game together." It would be built with four custom characters in mind, and the emphasis would be on the group (and its origin) itself rather than the individual characters. Perhaps it could be broken up episodically like L4D, with persistent stats and gear -- that would also solve the problem of having a persistent group for the entirety of the game. But it would lose a lot of epicness, I guess.

I'm just throwing ideas around at this point.

Weirdo
2010-06-22, 8:08 PM
I've tried several times doing a lan Baldur's Gate but XP computers never work with win 7 ones on the primitive lan setup :/

edit - Dungeon Siege 1+2 were fun multiplayer games but awful as standalone rpgs.

Bester
2010-06-22, 8:18 PM
I've tried several times doing a lan Baldur's Gate but XP computers never work with win 7 ones on the primitive lan setup :/
Last time Glori and I ran through the series, we did it by having the host running XP and using TCP/IP, but it took some work. (Yeah, for some reason the vista computer couldn't be the host.) another reason I'd like a modern game like that.

gamerk2
2010-06-22, 10:55 PM
Delays hurt DA:O a lot I think. Just looking at the history of Fereldin, it looks half-done at time, where in ME, its much more clear cut.

One thing DAO does REALLY well is presenting shades of grey. Where ME tends to be black/white between good/evil actions, there are a lot more shades of grey in DAO, one of the more obvious ones being deciding whether to make Allister king against his will.

DJStarbust
2010-06-22, 11:59 PM
Delays hurt DA:O a lot I think. Just looking at the history of Fereldin, it looks half-done at time, where in ME, its much more clear cut.

One thing DAO does REALLY well is presenting shades of grey. Where ME tends to be black/white between good/evil actions, there are a lot more shades of grey in DAO, one of the more obvious ones being deciding whether to make Allister king against his will.

You should fix your spoiler

Grokent
2010-06-24, 1:12 PM
Just an FYI. I had a crashing problem with Dragon Age where I'd get dumped to the desktop at random intervals. I solved the problem by setting a CPU core affinity in task manager. I found a couple of apps that do this automatically for me so I don't have to set it each time. The problem seems to be mainly for AMD Win7 x64 users so if anyone else has experienced since the Steam sale on Sunday here's a link.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/2948051/1#2955996

Kamileon
2010-06-24, 1:39 PM
Just an FYI. I had a crashing problem with Dragon Age where I'd get dumped to the desktop at random intervals. I solved the problem by setting a CPU core affinity in task manager. I found a couple of apps that do this automatically for me so I don't have to set it each time. The problem seems to be mainly for AMD Win7 x64 users so if anyone else has experienced since the Steam sale on Sunday here's a link.

I bought it from the Steam sale like the incredibly late to the party lemming I am, and I am a Win7 SMD x64 user who has been crashing, so. :cloud9:

Jamster
2010-06-24, 1:59 PM
lol @ multiple cores still being a problem for games

Kamileon
2010-06-24, 3:17 PM
I feel compelled to confess that I was absolutely, embarrassingly terrible at most of the Mages Asunder area of the Fade. Ugh. I quick-saved outside this one door, and just kept throwing myself at the room with 5 mages before the stairs up until I finally managed to not suck enough to win.

Bester
2010-06-24, 3:37 PM
ME 2 had that issue too. You had to tab out set affinity to a single core, then set it to both cores. If you didn't do that, loads, especially on the ship, would take forever.

For example, once I installed a program that did this for me, I'd be on a floor of the ship before the little traveling animation finished most times.

Grokent
2010-06-24, 4:30 PM
Let me know how it works out for ya Kami. Also, don't feel bad about being a terribad... I'm in a bad position in the game and may have to start over as I am under geared and out of potions.

Having anything less than level 3 lock picking is a joke apparently. I'm still wearing my starter robes on my mage!

Melanchthon
2010-06-24, 4:37 PM
I feel compelled to confess that I was absolutely, embarrassingly terrible at most of the Mages Asunder area of the Fade. Ugh. I quick-saved outside this one door, and just kept throwing myself at the room with 5 mages before the stairs up until I finally managed to not suck enough to win.

That's a really terrible room. The best way I ever found was to run in as a stealthed mouse, hit one, and run the hell out again. Usually they'll end up fighting themselves and leaving you with 2-3 instead of 5.

Of course now I use a Fade-skip mod..

Mark Waters
2010-06-24, 4:57 PM
I can't think of anything more satisfying than when a battle goes exactly how you planned it in this game.

Chest Rockwell
2010-06-24, 5:09 PM
I bought this game and have been playing it.

I am undecided about whether it is retarded or not.

Human
2010-06-24, 5:10 PM
Dragon Age is great. do you want to be great too? Play Dragon Age

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-24, 5:11 PM
I bought this game and have been playing it.

I am undecided about whether it is retarded or not.
being speckled with dots of blood owns

Chest Rockwell
2010-06-24, 5:11 PM
Well!

Decius
2010-06-25, 12:02 AM
being speckled with dots of blood owns

So does the "Surprise me" option in the brothel and the foursome you can rope your party members into with some smoothtalking.

boogada
2010-06-25, 12:12 AM

Oh, cool. It started crashing for me a lot after some patch, 1.3 I think. I was pretty much done with it at that point so I never really bothered looking for a fix.

Kamileon
2010-06-25, 12:45 AM
That's a really terrible room. The best way I ever found was to run in as a stealthed mouse, hit one, and run the hell out again. Usually they'll end up fighting themselves and leaving you with 2-3 instead of 5.

Of course now I use a Fade-skip mod..

I think in the end, after flinging myself at it so many times, what ended up working was burning man fire ball carefully placed to clip all 5, then spirit form for crushing prison on one, and the icebolt thing on another, regen myself, then back to burning man to eat the raging infernos being cast on me, and to fireball the back three again, and I think at that point I managed to live and they were dead, or I straggled back into spirit for more healing.

Nim
2010-06-25, 12:51 AM
I just zerged dem, cause Mages is OP.

medivh
2010-06-25, 5:51 AM
So does the "Surprise me" option in the brothel and the foursome you can rope your party members into with some smoothtalking.

Wait foursome? I've seen threesome but not four, how?

gamerk2
2010-06-25, 6:37 AM

Both ME2 and DAO run fine on my QX9650 OC. Granted, DAO has a massive memory leak, but thats a seperate issue...

Melanchthon
2010-06-25, 9:43 AM
Wait foursome? I've seen threesome but not four, how?

Have Zevran in the party and Alistair/Leliana (Depending on gender, not sure if Leliana will do the foursome with female PCs) whichever one is with you will have to have been "hardened" during their respective questlines.

Oh god why do I know this?

Jamster
2010-06-25, 9:47 AM
Both ME2 and DAO run fine on my QX9650 OC. Granted, DAO has a massive memory leak, but thats a seperate issue...

I just don't get gaming companies that do not test their shit on both architectures, it's crazy, there's literately intel and AMD for gaming, is it that hard, lol, crazy

Kamileon
2010-06-26, 12:26 AM
I have been reading through the thread and it seems the good conversations happen like 100 pages ago, but insofar as it comes to jumping Alistair's bones, I actually feel bad for the dude when he's all professing his adorably awkward undying love to the PC, and the conversation options are all...

1. Fuck you and your stupid love
2. I'ma break your heart and shit on your feelings
3. Why are you such a pathetic fool
4. I love you too schmoopy

Edit: Also before I get to Landsmeet, I need someone to explain to me how my elf gets to keep Alistair in the party as my tank, and not have him break up with me.

Nim
2010-06-26, 1:39 AM
Easiest way is to just make Anora queen.

Only way to make him King and stay with him is to be a Human Noble or have him "Hardened" from his personal quest, in which case you can tell him "You're the King, you can do whatever you want etc!"

Either way I think you have to kill Loghain.

Kamileon
2010-06-26, 1:49 AM
He's been hardened. (giggity) um.

My primary concern is getting to keep him in my party. Because fuck the throne or yay throne or whatever it takes for that. If he becomes King does he go off to be all emo in a castle, or does the "you can do what you want" option include "my frisky elf ass, AND tanking my darkspawn"?

Jobrill
2010-06-26, 2:15 AM
Even if Alistair becomes king, he stays in your party as long as Loghain is also dead.

To keep him non-broken up, either make Anora the queen and sole ruler or harden him and tell him to make you his mistress.

Nim
2010-06-26, 2:18 AM
He's been hardened. (giggity) um.

My primary concern is getting to keep him in my party. Because fuck the throne or yay throne or whatever it takes for that. If he becomes King does he go off to be all emo in a castle, or does the "you can do what you want" option include "my frisky elf ass, AND tanking my darkspawn"?

Well you're in luck, since having Alistair hardened makes him about 10,000% less whiny and problematic at the Landsmeet. I believe your options shake down as so...

1. Arange for Alistair to marry Anora and then convince him to keep you on as a mistress.

2. Have Alistair rule alone with you as his frisky elf ass.

3. Make Anora queen, but tell her not to do anything mean to Alistair like cut his head off. This might upset him (I know it doesn't when he isn't hardened), but I think you can talk him round without breaking anything.

Provided you have high coercion you can do pretty much anything you like and keep evil-Alistair, he just kinda rolls with it. Probably safest to kill Loghain though, unless you really want to keep him alive.

Kamileon
2010-06-26, 3:28 AM
Oh, I think I will enjoy killing Loghain.

Melanchthon
2010-06-26, 9:41 AM
I just wish Alistair didn't have that hard-coded little moment of bitchiness. Like, this whole game he's been following my lead and amenable to persuasion if I had a good reason for doing something he didn't agree with. And then the landsmeet happens and he throws a "Do what I want or I'm taking my sword and going home" tantrum.

Jobrill
2010-06-26, 10:48 AM
It makes perfect sense. Loghain killed his father figure, his older brother, and his only real family, the Grey Wardens. He was pretty damn torn up about that and it's not something you just let go. Somewhere around the beginning of the thread, actually, I posted a couple posts by David Gaider, the game's head writer, that summed up pretty well why Alistair does what he does and why it'd be OOC for him to just do what you want him to do so you can have your tidy happy ending.

It's not a Tantrum. Loghain took away everything he ever loved, and he made a vow to make him pay for that. It's pretty reasonable that he would NOT be happy if the Warden, who he thought was his ally, protects Loghain from his just desserts like that.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-26, 10:56 AM
Loghain exercised some poor judgement but he never wavered in his loyalty to Ferelden and, no matter the personal cost, he was determined to do whatever it took to save it.

He is a tragic hero.

Jobrill
2010-06-26, 11:01 AM
Considering Loghain's main reason for killing his king and thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands of innocent soldiers and surrendering most of southern ferelden to the darkspawn appears to be that he was racist against Orlesians, and that his tactics while regent of Ferelden included selling the Elves into slavery and using blood magic, torture, assassination and demonology to keep the nobles and mages in line, I'm not exactly sure I can call him a hero, honestly.

Nim
2010-06-26, 11:06 AM
I believe he wanted to do what was right for Ferelden, but he just really sucks at it.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-26, 11:22 AM
I think it is unfair to dismiss Loghain's feelings towards the Orlesians as just racism, there's some pretty valid concerns about letting them march into Ferelden again.

Nim
2010-06-26, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't say it's just racism.

Kamileon
2010-06-26, 12:48 PM
Hey, I am bitter about that whole killing off all the Wardens, thing too. Also as an Elf, I am not exactly down with the dickheads running shit in Denerim. Fuck Loghain.

Striker
2010-06-26, 1:18 PM
Loghain is kinda like the protagonist of a Shakespeare tragedy.

Don't Tread on Steve
2010-06-26, 2:41 PM
Hahaha I made someone almost semi close to apologetic about hating Loghain :smug:

Kamileon
2010-06-26, 4:45 PM
The dog is pretty cool and all, but I wish he would fucking bark less in camp.

I am having a serious conversation with Zevran about how his life is terrible and his mom was an abused elf whore and shit, and the whole time it's all barkbarkbarkbarkbark.

Bark bark bark bark "I guess you could say" bark bark bark "she" bark bark "was my" bark bark bark bark "first victim" bark bark bark bark.

One more fucking sound out of you, Sparky, and I'm letting Morrigan kill you.

Nim
2010-06-26, 9:31 PM
Come on, he's like the only member of the party who isn't totally emo. Let him enjoy it.

Melanchthon
2010-06-26, 9:54 PM
The dog is pretty cool and all, but I wish he would fucking bark less in camp.

Less barking dog (http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=130) mod.

Kamileon
2010-06-27, 12:06 AM
Woo!

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-27, 2:19 AM
I have been reading through the thread and it seems the good conversations happen like 100 pages ago, but insofar as it comes to jumping Alistair's bones, I actually feel bad for the dude when he's all professing his adorably awkward undying love to the PC, and the conversation options are all...

1. Fuck you and your stupid love
2. I'ma break your heart and shit on your feelings
3. Why are you such a pathetic fool
4. I love you too schmoopy

Edit: Also before I get to Landsmeet, I need someone to explain to me how my elf gets to keep Alistair in the party as my tank, and not have him break up with me.
Nim gave you pretty good advice already, I just wanted to be extra clear in order to avert any e-heartbreak.

Okay, it looks like you told him that everyone is selfish and he needs to look out for himself more?

This means that at the Landsmeet he will want to be king, not just be kinda ok with it if you make him. He will argue his case before the nobles but you still have to make the final choice. You need to decide before Eamon heads to Denerim whether you want to crown Alistair or not so you can choose appropriately when you get there.

If you crown Alistair, and are not a human noble, he will dump you. However, if he is hardened, you can say something like "You're the king, do what you want to!" and he will change his mind and keep you on as his mistress.

If you choose not to crown him, and he's hardened, don't tell him your plan ahead of time or you'll take a 10 point approval hit. You will need to tell Anora ahead of the Landsmeet that you plan to support her, otherwise she will make it difficult for you. Of course, it's possible to be a lying jerk and crown Alistair anyway after she supports you. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/bobsmyuncle/Smileys/emot-ssh.gif

No matter which one you choose, he will stay in your party only if you kill Loghain. This is not negotiable for him. Incidentally, you can make him king and keep Loghain, but Alistair will still quit your group. If you were planning to marry him off to Anora for any reason, he may not be the one to behead Loghain or else she will break it off. Since he's your tank, keep in mind that if you choose him as your champion when Loghain challenges you to a duel, he will automatically kill Loghain without asking you first.

Anyway, if you think Alistair has it bad in those PC response lines, try dumping him in any of the romance conversations. It's like kicking a puppy. His response is like "Oh... I don't know what I was thinking, you're too good for me anyway. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/bobsmyuncle/Smileys/emot-smith.gif"

I think Shale and the dog are the only ones in this game with good self-esteem. Maybe Wynne, too.

Striker
2010-06-27, 3:30 AM
I think Shale and the dog are the only ones in this game with good self-esteem. Maybe Wynne, too.

I'll give you Dog and Wynne, but Shale definitely has issues. That golem is overcompensating for insecurity as badly as Morrigan is :P.

As for Alistair, here's the 'cynical bastard' best-case outcome:

Harden him, convince him to marry Anora. At the Landsmeet, spare Loghain. Alistair will leave your party, but if he's been hardened he'll stick to the plan otherwise. Have Loghain be the one to sacrifice himself at the end.

Final result:

1.) Alistair becomes an effective and popular king.
2.) Him being married to Anora goes a long way towards smoothing over the recent...problems.
3.) Loghain's name is partially redeemed, he'll go down in history as a tragic figure rather than a complete fuckup.
4.) Morrigan doesn't get her demon-baby.

Kamileon
2010-06-27, 4:19 PM
Morrigan's freakyspawn is what expansions are for, right? I intend to keep my royal warden caboodling around.

Nim
2010-06-27, 10:44 PM
I really hope DA2 gets more polish time. Just finished my second play through and the bugs felt a lot more jarring second time round. Still enjoyed it, but ME2 may have slightly ruined other RPGs for me.

bobsmyuncle
2010-06-28, 12:17 AM
Morrigan's freakyspawn is what expansions are for, right? I intend to keep my royal warden caboodling around.
No, Morrigan's possible lovechild is not even mentioned in the expansion. Basically nothing you do in the OC carries over (okay, they do remember who you make king or queen and if you did a romance you get an extra slide at the end). It will probably be dealt with in the sequel because an Old God in human form is kind of a big problem.

I hope Morrigan is prepared to fight off all the darkspawn who are relentlessly drawn to her unborn child :ermm:

Kamileon
2010-06-28, 1:24 AM
Okay, Morrigan remains annoying and completely inscrutable to me.

At the Dalish camp, I couldn't find any way for her to not be pissed off at me when I was talking to That dude whose wife, Danyla, got all werewolfied. I mercy-killed her after getting her scarf and shit, because shit, I didn't know that I would wheedle my way into the curse ending neatly with the wolves going back into human form and Zariwhooshit giving up peacefully, and that she would probably live after that. Mind you, I did this packing Zevran around instead because I wanted to hear hilarious conversation. Anyway. I ended up swapping them and going back to turn in the sidequests, and nothing I could say to the guy would end up without here being all "I'm a fucking crazy harpy (-7)" and shit.

And all the other random shit she gets pissed off at me for, and for making me go get eaten by her dragon mother so she can apparently go off and do the same damned thing, and I'm totally planning on using crazy demon baby shit her to keep Alistair around :cloud9: but am pretty sure that is a terrible idea in terms of ~*the story*~ even if I never see it. And she's mean to Alistair, who is not stupid, just sheltered and adorable.

But Morrigan annoys me.
I needed to express my opinion.

I made a picture.

http://kamileon.net/stuff/morrigan.gif

(Edit: I found it funny that if I deflowered the elf boy, and felt like a total creephat doing it. Zev was all YEAH TAP THAT ELF ASS, Wynne was all pissed off and used big words, and Alistair was like "What? My shirt has a hole in it." despite him being like, puppy dog in love with my character.)

The Lazarus
2010-06-28, 1:56 AM
Okay, Morrigan remains annoying and completely inscrutable to me.

At the Dalish camp, I couldn't find any way for her to not be pissed off at me when I was talking to That dude whose wife, Danyla, got all werewolfied. I mercy-killed her after getting her scarf and shit, because shit, I didn't know that I would wheedle my way into the curse ending neatly with the wolves going back into human form and Zariwhooshit giving up peacefully, and that she would probably live after that.
Actually on that one I'm pretty sure she dies either way before you resolve the curse, so it's either a quick mercy killing or a painful death. But yeah, I think Morrigan would only be happy if you'd kept the scarf or something.

Kamileon
2010-06-28, 2:00 AM
Nope, the first time through I chose other options and didn't hand it over. Morrigan was all pissy, so I reloaded and tried a couple other ways. I can only assume she was pissed at all outcomes, and was gonna hate the conversation anyway, because I am a damn goody two-shoes.

I am a city elf rogue, and I was all set to be all bitchy and bitter and vengeant and shit, and then I ran across Alistair and got all "Daww, I want to be good so he likes me!"
I'm lame.

Gideon
2010-06-28, 2:01 AM
That dude whose wife, Danyla, got all werewolfied. I mercy-killed her after getting her scarf and shit, because shit, I didn't know that I would wheedle my way into the curse ending neatly with the wolves going back into human form and Zariwhooshit giving up peacefully, and that she would probably live after that.

For what it's worth, I don't think you can save her, even if you try real real hard. If you don't kill her she'll force the issue. The fact that she'd probably be OK if she just waited about 45 minutes before enacting her death wish just makes things more sad.

But Morrigan annoys me.
I needed to express my opinion.

I made a picture.

http://kamileon.net/stuff/morrigan.gif

For whatever else it's worth, this made me laugh. Morrigan is interesting in the beginning of the story because she grew up under such impossible circumstances. By the end, she's just seems wretched, and even Claudia Black's nice work can't fix it.

Kamileon
2010-06-28, 2:08 AM
Given that I didn't watch Farscape (whatever, take the nerd card) my primary influence of Claudia Black is her being sorta... Chaotic Bitch on Stargate, anyway. So that probably doesn't help my general hatred of Morrigan.

And I realized later that it should be a 4th row, not a 4th column, but whatever. I was already too OCD lining everything up in perfectly measured squares.

Oh, well, that makes me feel a little better that I couldn't save Danyla no matter what. I felt real guilt about that, but didn't want to go reloading that far back.

Nim
2010-06-28, 10:26 AM
The one thing I like about Morrigan is that she's the only character that doesn't totally open up to you. Even at the very end you have no idea how much of what she's told you has been truthful.

She is indeed a crazy, crazy bitch though.

HazeSti
2010-06-28, 11:35 AM
I am a city elf rogue, and I was all set to be all bitchy and bitter and vengeant and shit, and then I ran across Alistair and got all "Daww, I want to be good so he likes me!"
I'm lame.

AHaha, exact same thing happenned to me.

I wanted to be all racist against humans, but then Alistair stumbled into my life. :shy:

TAG
2010-06-28, 11:44 AM
Given that I didn't watch Farscape (whatever, take the nerd card) my primary influence of Claudia Black is her being sorta... Chaotic Bitch on Stargate, anyway. So that probably doesn't help my general hatred of Morrigan.

Aeryn Sun is also kinda a crazy bitch (at least in the beginning of Farscape). Type casting?

Common Sensei
2010-06-28, 11:48 AM
The quarian she voices in Mass Effect 2 wasn't much of a stretch, either.

Jaaboo
2010-06-28, 11:48 AM
I still want Alistair to be gay. :(

I should continue with my play through. I always get tired of the game after the fade.

Sprint
2010-06-28, 11:49 AM
I've been stuck at that big werewolf fight for like two months. I just don't have the heart for all those reloads.

Nim
2010-06-28, 11:59 AM
Doesn't dispel break out all the wolves so they can help out?

Sprint
2010-06-28, 12:00 PM
I am trying to MURDER THEM ALL tyvm

Kamileon
2010-06-28, 12:46 PM
I still want Alistair to be gay. :(

I should continue with my play through. I always get tired of the game after the fade.

David Gaider, on Alistair gaying it up: I don't have an issue with Alistair being made into an option for male characters. As someone pointed out, Alistair has no sexual experience with *anyone* by the time the game starts -- that doesn't necessarily make him gay, but it certainly doesn't indicate that he's strictly straight, either. Alistair received conservative teachings at the hands of the Chantry, I imagine, but it's an institution he's rejected. I'd say overall he's a fairly open-minded, sensitive guy. A relationship with someone he trusts is not that over the top. I say go for it (not that you need my permission or anything).

Nim
2010-06-28, 12:46 PM
I am trying to MURDER THEM ALL tyvm

Oh, good luck with that then.

P.S. Pretty sure there's already some mods that let male PCs romance Alistair.

Kamileon
2010-06-28, 12:52 PM
Yeah and the gender changeo ring. That quote was in response to discussions about mods that turn Alistair into a Gay Warden.

Yunara
2010-06-28, 12:54 PM
There's some. The one I used was the Gendering. It was a ring that I could use to make me female. And selected the one convo option that starts the relationship. Once you start the relationship, you can return to male, even delete the mod and the game never checks again if you are male or female.

(Of course some romance convo's assume you are female, so he'll sound confused)

Phantom
2010-06-28, 12:54 PM
I need to return to my DA: O game. As I recall, I've done the Elves, Mages and Dwarves. I just need to find the urn thingie and I should be set for endgame.

Yunara
2010-06-28, 12:58 PM
Also, in my mind, they started Alistair as a bisexual possibility, but chickened out. Alistair gets extremely flirty with male PCs, there are practically no difference in convo between male or female until you actually start a relationship.

Jaaboo
2010-06-28, 1:08 PM
Yeah, I honestly pegged (sorry, bad pun) him as being gay when I first played the game. I was like "Oh hell yes, gg Bioware!"

I might try out the mod, its not that important, but its not like I haven't modded the ever loving fuck out of the game anyway.

Nim
2010-06-28, 1:10 PM
not like I haven't modded the ever loving fuck out of the game anyway.

Yay, PC gaming.

boogada
2010-06-28, 1:34 PM
Jesus christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF4UIFT47gk&playnext_from=TL&videos=d2UBvHSi0lg

Melanchthon
2010-06-28, 1:37 PM
Jesus christ.

Exit game, uninstall, cry in the corner for three hours.

Drascus
2010-06-28, 1:50 PM
Jesus christ.

That is some silent hill shit right there.

Shriketastic
2010-06-28, 2:00 PM
Jesus christ.

cannot stop laughing

Phantom
2010-06-28, 2:18 PM
Okay, I can't get this thing to load on my iPhone. What am I missing?

The Lazarus
2010-06-28, 2:37 PM
Okay, I can't get this thing to load on my iPhone. What am I missing?
Picture Leliana's model as a puppet with its strings cut, crumpled up into a ball with one or two limbs sticking out, still talking and floating around.

Kamileon
2010-06-28, 2:38 PM
About how creepy things and unknown beings watch you in the Brecilian forest.

Kamileon
2010-06-29, 1:46 AM
Things that suck:

The game crashing during the last battle in the Proving.