PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age looks so retarded

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Rook
2009-11-14, 4:40 AM
I'd hit Alistair 'til it fell off though.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-14, 6:41 AM
Okay. Redcliffe quest, on the lookout for the Urn of Sacred Ashes.

So I go through the dungeon, and I killed that priest with the big giant axe and his coterie. I go up to the mountaintop and holy cocks in a bag that is a giant dragon.

It doesn't look like there is anything to do there but bang that gong and get it on, but it looks like the gong is actually some sort of party wipe mechanism. I'm going in with Alistair, Wynne, and Loopy le Rogue, whatever her name is. Do I need to grind more to slay the dragon? Because we can get him down to about 50% but he wound up rallying big.

The Conqueror Worm
2009-11-14, 6:45 AM
does this game own, because I might buy it

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-14, 6:52 AM
Holy shit, dude, but does this game ever own. All day at work yesterday, I was saying to myself that every minute spent at work was a minute not spent Wardening the Greys, and that this was BULLSHIT

Nim
2009-11-14, 7:06 AM
I'm at work right now, don't rub it in :(

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-14, 7:08 AM
this is BULLSHIT

Tobiath
2009-11-14, 7:27 AM
does this game own, because I might buy it

What everyone else is saying is yes.

edit: buy it now, you'll never regret it.

GeoGonzo
2009-11-14, 7:50 AM

So I go through the dungeon, and I killed that priest with the big giant axe and his coterie. I go up to the mountaintop and holy cocks in a bag that is a giant dragon.

It doesn't look like there is anything to do there but bang that gong and get it on, but it looks like the gong is actually some sort of party wipe mechanism. I'm going in with Alistair, Wynne, and Loopy le Rogue, whatever her name is. Do I need to grind more to slay the dragon? Because we can get him down to about 50% but he wound up rallying big.

My dps warrior just got there. Since Alistair leveled up and got Shield Wall by watching Leliana unlock a chest and Morrigan had just made like 50 small potions I took it as a sign of the Maker and gave it a try.

The horn was blown and the Dragon landed on top of my rogue, which naturally went down (I was pretty okay with this since she's mostly there for locks and traps). Alistair caught the dragon's attention and in return, the dragon picked him up and started doing horrible, horrible things. My warrior tried getting close but was knocked back every single time (In retrospect, I should have tried using "Indomitable"), so I simply moved him back and had him shoot with the crossbow for the rest of the fight. For what felt like hours, Morrigan spamed heals, debuffs and autoattacked the dragon while Alistair drank more and more health potions. We did kill the dragon, but it really felt like we should have returned a few levels later (Also, as someone already mentioned, force field will make the dragon spit out the tank).

Rook
2009-11-14, 8:07 AM
Just spam cone of cold on dat bitch.

Archangel3d
2009-11-14, 10:57 AM
Just spam cone of cold on dat bitch.

I tried this and got tail-swiped and died oh why did I listen to you?

White Tyger
2009-11-14, 12:10 PM
Finally got the game on Thursday.

Character I'm playing: http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile.php?char_id=295493&nid=2263182333&game=dragonage&display=character

Jay
2009-11-14, 2:18 PM
Welp, had the Landsmeet and despite my best efforts, it ended in bloodshed. Killed Loghain and all his men, mostly because that fucking twat Anora decided to lie and betray us all. I swear to god I wish there was an option to kill her smug ass. So I elected Alistar king because he's awesome, though he got kinda pissed at me. He had Anora locked in a tower but really, I still want to butcher her.

Common Sensei
2009-11-14, 2:38 PM
Welp, had the Landsmeet and despite my best efforts, it ended in bloodshed. Killed Loghain and all his men, mostly because that fucking twat Anora decided to lie and betray us all. I swear to god I wish there was an option to kill her smug ass. So I elected Alistar king because he's awesome, though he got kinda pissed at me. He had Anora locked in a tower but really, I still want to butcher her.

Landsmeet spoilers: I think the only way it can end peacefully in your favor is to promise her the throne, compromise and arrange Alistair to marry her, or marry her yourself if you are a male human noble.

Tobiath
2009-11-14, 2:40 PM
Landsmeet will always end in blood. If Loghain loses, he will fight. If you lose, you start a fight. Theres no way around this

Jay
2009-11-14, 2:43 PM
Landsmeet spoilers: I think the only way it can end peacefully in your favor is to promise her the throne, compromise and arrange Alistair to marry her, or marry her yourself if you are a male human noble.

But I am a male human noble. And I said "Hey Al, you should marry this two-faced bitch," and he was all "Fuck that Warden buddy."

Tobiath
2009-11-14, 2:50 PM
But I am a male human noble. And I said "Hey Al, you should marry this two-faced bitch," and he was all "Fuck that Warden buddy."

and you didnt take the throne for yourself? for shame

Common Sensei
2009-11-14, 2:51 PM

Do you have ranks in Coercion? Might need all four that, maybe.

Jay
2009-11-14, 3:11 PM
and you didnt take the throne for yourself? for shame

Wasn't an option

Do you have ranks in Coercion? Might need all four that, maybe.

I do have all four <:[

Common Sensei
2009-11-14, 3:12 PM
Wasn't an option

I do have all four <:[

Cunning score? That's part of it too.

EDIT: Actually I guess you would still see the option but fail if the score was low enough.

Did you fight your way out or go peacefully when rescuing Anora? Letting yourself get caught has her like you more.

Maybe it's a tricky and specific path through the conversation.

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-14, 3:16 PM
Re: Anora and Landsmeet: If you don't want her to be queen she will betray you. If you don't want her to be queen and you don't want her to betray you, betray her instead. She is a politician and she does not give the slightest shit about you, so keep that in mind when you deal with her. She is reaching out to you in an effort to solidify her claim to the throne, if you undermine her position in any way, BAM. Betrayal.

I didn't get any betraying done to me because I promised her the throne. She supported me in the landsmeet and I got all the votes except one bootlicker who probably represented Loghain's county anyway. After I kicked Loghain's ass Arl Eamon asked who I wanted to rule. I said Anora but there was an option to renege on my deal and say Alistair.

If you want Alistair to marry Anora, you got to start early, like as soon as you save her (and BTW, don't ever tell her father's guards who she is). Alistair doesn't want to, and Anora doesn't want to, but play the duty angle with him and the power angle with her and you should be able to get it with some persuasion skill.

edit: If you want to be king, you have to marry Anora. Human nobles only. Human noble ladies can marry Alistair to become queen.

Honestly, most of your options at the Landsmeet are shaped by what you do during your prep time. This is where you get dirt on Loghain and get some of the banns to side with you during the vote, and when you need to persuade your candidate to do what you want.

Common Sensei
2009-11-14, 3:22 PM
Interesting high res texture project:

http://social.bioware.com/project/539/#details

Decius
2009-11-14, 3:32 PM
Interesting high res texture project:

http://social.bioware.com/project/539/#details

It works quite fine for me. Looks a lot better.

Landsmeet: The only death was Loghain for my first play-through. I put Alistair on the throne and the ex-Queen in the tower. Next time I will Anora on the throne though since Alistair was so reluctant with the whole king deal anyway and is far better off going around kicking ass with me and my guys.

Common Sensei
2009-11-14, 3:36 PM
It works quite fine for me. Looks a lot better.

It does for me too, but I wasn't sure if it was a placebo effect or not. :)

frobbnik
2009-11-14, 3:52 PM
oh man, using intimidate on priests in front of alistair is great

The Lazarus
2009-11-14, 4:24 PM

Whoaahh, no man. You don't have to bang that gong. The dragon's sleeping on top of a cliff dude, just walk past him.

Landsmeet will always end in blood. If Loghain loses, he will fight. If you lose, you start a fight. Theres no way around thisNo it doesn't. I got through just by dueling Loghain.

Jay
2009-11-14, 4:59 PM
I cannot find the guy in Orzammar who apparently has Sten's sword. Checked the bar, the slums, the proving grounds, the stores, the streets, no Faryn (that's the dude). Anybody else find this guy?

The Lazarus
2009-11-14, 5:01 PM
I cannot find the guy in Orzammar who apparently has Sten's sword. Checked the bar, the slums, the proving grounds, the stores, the streets, no Faryn (that's the dude). Anybody else find this guy?
He's not inside.

Krall
2009-11-14, 5:03 PM
Beat it as a Human Noble Warrior, going through a 2nd time as a City Elf Rogue.

Finding out again early in the game that the best answer for everything is Cone of Cold.

Jobrill
2009-11-14, 6:44 PM
Just beat the gameas a Dwarf Commoner, Female, romancing Alistair.

Yes, I followed my hopeless romantic dreams and made Anora the queen and had Alistair sleep with Morrigan solely so we could be together at the end. I was thinking of reloading and trying a different ending, but I dunno if I have the heart to tear them apart. Maybe on my next playthrough, I'll see what happens with the ending where the Warden dies.

I sort of noticed that the Anora ending assumes Alistair is dead until you get to the postscript part (or at least he isn't in the hall celebrating), which made my heart skip a beat for a moment. I would have liked to at least been able to speak with him in the hall. Maybe if I didn't bring him to kill the Archdemon that would happen?

I do think it's sort of funny that I was TRYING to be "good" this playthrough, but ended up deciding the fate of two kingdoms and allowing the birth of an old god child to a somewhat reclusive and very dangerous sorceress to get my own happy ending. >_>

bobsmyuncle
2009-11-14, 7:26 PM
Just beat the gameas a Dwarf Commoner, Female, romancing Alistair.
Re: companions in the hall- He should be. When I ended up in there he was standing to my right and the first person I talked to. I did the same ending you did and brought him along for the final fight too. It might be bugged sometimes since I have noticed other people say that nobody shows up to their PC's right when they load that area. v:(v Hopefully there is another patch coming soon because I encountered some very strange dialogue during the run-up to the end. Alistair kept talking like he was king when I had supported Anora's bid for the throne instead. I got the correct ending but some of the dialogue was out of place.

Jay
2009-11-14, 9:14 PM
Whoa dude.
I just got Morrigan preggers, apparently, and she's going to give birth to an Old God. Cool?

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-14, 9:38 PM
Dalish forest, after werewolf quest:

What is the deal with the jug of water and the altar?

boogada
2009-11-14, 9:46 PM

There's a codex entry nearby that explains what to do. "Elven ritual" or somesuch thing.

Nim
2009-11-14, 10:23 PM

I think it goes.

Remove jug from pool
Take jug to alter
Kneel and pray
Sip from jug
Return jug to pool

If you do it right it opens up the near by room and there's a fight and some loot inside.

Melanchthon
2009-11-14, 10:43 PM
Was the nighttime battle at Redcliffe a little buggy for anyone else? I stood at the top of the hill for five minutes and the mobs never came down through the fire barrels. For every "wave" I had to put some fire resist armor on Alistair and send him up the hill to pull them down.

Also, it can be really hard to be a good guy in this game. I finished the forest area before heading to Redcliffe and I really wasn't happy with how things turned out, even though I made what I think was the kindest choice. I convinced the Dalish elder to sacrifice himself (after a fight) to end the curse and let both the werewolves and elves live. The Lady of the Forest had a nice ass. :shifty:

Force field-ing Al and then using Crushing Prison on him is amazing. Actually, letting him run into a crowd and just dropping any kind of AoE on him works really well. He's wearing the Juggarnaut armor from the forest revenants and a couple of other resist pieces so he's got like 50% resist to all elements. He's pretty much a total badass.

PrinceAli
2009-11-14, 11:01 PM
Uhhh, ok. I bought the Ranger specialization book from the merchant at the camp. Then I forgot to save and died. I saved my game right before I bought the book. Now it's gone and the specialization is not unlocked on my character. So I guess this is a glitch and I'm pretty much fucked?

Bylak
2009-11-14, 11:13 PM
Specializations seem to work . . . weird. I've unlocked Arcane Warrior and Champion on the character I'm playing now and didn't do either of the quests needed to unlock either.

Killjoy
2009-11-14, 11:21 PM
Whoa dude.
I just got Morrigan preggers, apparently, and she's going to give birth to an Old God. Cool?
Didn't you see Beowulf? Good luck with that!

Common Sensei
2009-11-14, 11:33 PM
Specializations seem to work . . . weird. I've unlocked Arcane Warrior and Champion on the character I'm playing now and didn't do either of the quests needed to unlock either.

Once unlocked they are unlocked for all future characters. Unless you are saying you never unlocked them with anyone in the first place?

Jay
2009-11-15, 12:31 AM
Didn't you read Beowulf? Good luck with that!

Hey it's not my problem. She said she never wants me to see her or the kid again. Also, I'm glad they actually made Morrigan out to be a little hurt and reluctant about breaking the relationship, instead of just "Oh yeah Elder Baby for me, nothing for you." She's still a bitch, but at least she has some feelings.

Decius
2009-11-15, 12:35 AM
Whoaahh, no man. You don't have to bang that gong. The dragon's sleeping on top of a cliff dude, just walk past him.

Letting the dragon live means the temple and the urn get destroyed in the epilogue though. That's like finding Jesus' grave with his cross in it and then letting it burn down. I couldn't do it (and killing dragons is cool anyway), even if the Maker is nothing more than a Fade spirit that Andraste talked up a bit.

The Lazarus
2009-11-15, 12:46 AM
Letting the dragon live means the temple and the urn get destroyed in the epilogue though. That's like finding Jesus' grave with his cross in it and then letting it burn down. I couldn't do it (and killing dragons is cool anyway), even if the Maker is nothing more than a Fade spirit that Andraste talked up a bit.
I know that, but at the time, all I knew was there was this huge dragon who'd eat me alive. I figured once it was all over, we could take the army over and get rid of the dragon without being harmed! Everybody wins! It's not my fault whatever nub adventurers came after me couldn't do the job.

Rook
2009-11-15, 2:37 AM
WHAT THE FUCK SANDAL

Common Sensei
2009-11-15, 2:38 AM
WHAT THE FUCK SANDAL

ENCHANTMENT!

Jobrill
2009-11-15, 2:48 AM
Sandal for King of Ozrammar. I am not even kidding.

Striker
2009-11-15, 4:15 AM
Sandal for King of Ozrammar. I am not even kidding.

He couldn't do any worse than the other candidates.

nekodeev
2009-11-15, 7:12 AM
Man, forcefield is so OP cast on your own doods (especially the tank).

Striker
2009-11-15, 9:59 AM
Got a bit of problem with Morrigan's sidequest...

I've found the gift she wants and gave it to her, then accepted her mission.

Unfortunately, when I get to the target area...Flemeth isn't there. I can get to the house, but there's nobody outside, and the door needs a key to open...which I don't have. Do I need to wait for some event to take place, do I need to find the key or is that a bug?

NVB
2009-11-15, 10:12 AM
Bugged, Shes supposed to be there.

Decius
2009-11-15, 10:20 AM
Unfortunately, when I get to the target area...Flemeth isn't there. I can get to the house, but there's nobody outside, and the door needs a key to open...which I don't have. Do I need to wait for some event to take place, do I need to find the key or is that a bug?

If you bring Morrigan with you Flemeth won't be there.

Nim
2009-11-15, 10:30 AM
Got a bit of problem with Morrigan's sidequest...

I've found the gift she wants and gave it to her, then accepted her mission.

Did you take Morrigan with you to the hut? She says not to do that, otherwise I'd say it's a bug. When I went Flemeth was standing outside her hut.

Killjoy
2009-11-15, 10:34 AM
If you bring Morrigan with you Flemeth won't be there.
Yep. Morrigan tells you not to take her.

Melanchthon
2009-11-15, 11:24 AM
So what's the deal with the allied supply crates in your camp? If you put a bunch of crap in there does the final fight go better for your mans?

Dataphiliac
2009-11-15, 11:51 AM
Okay, I bought the Deluxe thing off Steam... and I created an account and logged in. Why is it still asking me to pay for downloadable content? Where do I enter my CD keys?

Rook
2009-11-15, 11:52 AM
The crates don't have any impact on the quality of your soldiers at all. It just gives you XP for the items you turn in. Basically, if you don't have any need for money, you can give your stuff away for XP instead of sell it for gold.

Unrelated topic: While I really enjoyed this game, everything from the Landsmeet onward is the buggiest gaming experience I've had in awhile. Holy fuck.

frobbnik
2009-11-15, 11:57 AM
Okay, I bought the Deluxe thing off Steam... and I created an account and logged in. Why is it still asking me to pay for downloadable content? Where do I enter my CD keys?

social.bioware.com

Nim
2009-11-15, 12:01 PM
The crates don't have any impact on the quality of your soldiers at all. It just gives you XP for the items you turn in. Basically, if you don't have any need for money, you can give your stuff away for XP instead of sell it for gold.

You sure? I though it worked like the militia in Redcliffe, where they got better weapons, armor and etc. as you did more stuff.

Unrelated topic: While I really enjoyed this game, everything from the Landsmeet onward is the buggiest gaming experience I've had in awhile. Holy fuck.

I kinda had this too. The last few zones in the game need quite a bit of patch work. I've heard of people having NPCs turn up for the final battle even though said NPCs died earlier in the game. It wasn't bad enough to dampen my enjoyment, but it was very noticeable.

Rook
2009-11-15, 12:05 PM
Leliana had a permanent Grease debuff, so she was snared for the entire last stretch of the game, until I got annoyed and killed her on purpose to get rid of it. Also, I made her a Ranger, and she kept summoning new wolves throughout that last stretch of the game. And it wouldn't get rid of the old one. I had 5 at one point.

Nim
2009-11-15, 12:42 PM
I've seen a few buffs and debuffs that just won't go away sometimes. It's annoying and the reason I picked up Dispel Magic.

Dataphiliac
2009-11-15, 1:13 PM
So what are some spells that I simply cannot miss out on?

Rook
2009-11-15, 1:14 PM
Cone of motherfucking Cold.

Nim
2009-11-15, 1:40 PM
I'd say Cone of Cold and Heal are the only must haves, every tree has some awesome spells. It's really hard to build a bad Mage in this game.

Edit: Oh and take Spirit Healer as your first specialization.

karlean7
2009-11-15, 5:05 PM
Just banged Zevran. Plan to do it 500 more times.

Angel
2009-11-15, 5:09 PM
Just banged Zevran. Plan to do it 500 more times.

Has he done poetry for you yet? It's fun.

Marten
2009-11-15, 5:14 PM
Hex of Misdirection is great. Why yes, I would like you to miss all of your attacks, Mr. Ogre, why do you ask?

karlean7
2009-11-15, 5:17 PM
Has he done poetry for you yet? It's fun.
Nope. I basically had to play solid through the second half of the mage tower, then go back to Redcliffe to finish matters up, then recruit Zevran, THEN recruit Shale, before I took it upon myself to settle down and really explore the interactions with my party members.

So basically I'm sitting right at the beginning of all of it and I'm gonna save/reload until I explore the dialogue options to my heart's content.

Later.

After I get some food.

Jamster
2009-11-15, 5:20 PM
I'm almost scared to buy this game because I know baby's little addiction gene will go into overdrive and I'll not see natural light for a millennia.

karlean7
2009-11-15, 5:23 PM
FACT: I've had serious issues remembering to eat since I started playing this game.

And I'm playing it on Easy so it's not like the combat is at all difficult.

Angel
2009-11-15, 5:27 PM
FACT: I am having a blast playing a racist elf who's sleeping across the continent.

Jay
2009-11-15, 6:00 PM
FACT: I've had serious issues remembering to eat since I started playing this game.

And I'm playing it on Easy so it's not like the combat is at all difficult.

Gamer cred lost.

Krall
2009-11-15, 6:28 PM
On my 2nd playthrough. After much reading, I'm going to make Wynn an Arcane Warrior. Healer covered in platemail? Why hello 3.5ed Cleric! How are you today?

Whiplash
2009-11-15, 6:29 PM
Gamer cred lost.

I honestly didn't even know that karlean played video games so I dunno how much cred he has to lose there.

nekodeev
2009-11-15, 6:30 PM
The main downside is that it ups your fatigue hughly.

Trash Boat
Gamer cred lost.

real world cred increased

Archangel3d
I'm almost scared to buy this game because I know baby's little addiction gene will go into overdrive and I'll not see natural light for a millennia.

Oh God, this game has caused my first "Oh crap it's 4am I have work tomorrow... later today" since Civ 4 came out.

Trash Boat
2009-11-15, 6:32 PM
Oh God, this game has caused my first "Oh crap it's 4am I have work tomorrow... later today" since Civ 4 came out.

What was the first game that did that for you? I think it was either Ultima 7 or Eye of the Beholder 2 for me.

Melanchthon
2009-11-15, 6:40 PM
Time played: 66 hours
Game completed: 22%
:cry:

Also, clearing out the blood mage enclave in Denerim was probably the closest to full-party wipe I've come in this game.

edit: It didn't help that Al decided to pull three rooms at once with seven blood mages and 20-odd mercs.

Jamster
2009-11-15, 6:49 PM
Time played: 66 hours
Game completed: 22%
:cry:

hahahahahaha, FUCK

Common Sensei
2009-11-15, 6:50 PM
Yeah, I am about to start another game and try to do every side quest, Chantry Board, etc.

See you all in a year.

karlean7
2009-11-15, 6:53 PM
I play video games plenty but between the fact that this game takes forever and the fact that I don't care much for the combat system and that the combat isn't why I'm playing the game anyway, I decided that easy was the way to go.

Krall
2009-11-15, 6:56 PM
Yeah, I am about to start another game and try to do every side quest, Chantry Board, etc.

See you all in a year.

Just remember, do all of those and you'll be able to afford the super shit some of these NPCs are selling.

"90 gold? Ok, bullshit. They WANT me to use console commands."

Common Sensei
2009-11-15, 7:00 PM
Just remember, do all of those and you'll be able to afford the super shit some of these NPCs are selling.

"90 gold? Ok, bullshit. They WANT me to use console commands."

The only item I've seen that deserved a high price tag like that was the rogue weapon which had a hefty backstab bonus and three ENCHANTMENT! slots.

Kinglouis
2009-11-15, 7:03 PM
I'm around the landsmeet section of the game right now and the combat is getting a bit old at this point. It's making me burn out on the game a lot faster.

Yunara
2009-11-15, 7:04 PM
In case anyone is interested, there's a simple mod available to change the gender of your current character back and forth. Your characters body will switch the other gender but your face wont stay the same.

One of the most interesting uses is that you can switch your male toon to female, get in a relationship with say Alistair, then switch back to male. As long as you don't break up with him, The conversation options in camp remain, and you can convince him to give up his virginity to your male character.

The mod is available on the Dragon Age Social site

http://social.bioware.com/project/566/

The mod puts a ring in your inventory called the Gendering, which lets you use it to switch your gender on a 5 second CD.

karlean7
2009-11-15, 7:15 PM
In case anyone is interested, there's a simple mod available to change the gender of your current character back and forth. Your characters body will switch the other gender but your face wont stay the same.

One of the most interesting uses is that you can switch your male toon to female, get in a relationship with say Alistair, then switch back to male. As long as you don't break up with him, The conversation options in camp remain, and you can convince him to give up his virginity to your male character.

The mod is available on the Dragon Age Social site

http://social.bioware.com/project/566/

The mod puts a ring in your inventory called the Gendering, which lets you use it to switch your gender on a 5 second CD.
Damn. Thanks for the link. Gonna have to try that one out.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-15, 7:32 PM
FACT: I am incapable of playing anything worse than a slightly rakish Chaotic Good in a game where I have the choice.

Also: fuck all these dwerrows and their dwarvish bitchassness.

Xyzandra
2009-11-15, 7:37 PM
Well I've done all the origins now. Fun stuff.

Killjoy
2009-11-15, 7:46 PM
On my 2nd playthrough. After much reading, I'm going to make Wynn an Arcane Warrior. Healer covered in platemail? Why hello 3.5ed Cleric! How are you today?
Hello crippled mana/fatigue!

Melanchthon
2009-11-15, 8:08 PM
I have to wonder why Alistair isn't objecting to being specced into demon-inspired battle rage. :shifty:

Jobrill
2009-11-15, 8:16 PM
Hello crippled mana/fatigue!

Yeah, Arcane Warrior SOUNDS fun, but I am not sure I want to deal with the horrendous fatigue penalty. Warriors at least get some talents to mitigate it.

Common Sensei
2009-11-15, 8:25 PM
Moments into this new playthough, I am really seeing a difference now with the high resolution texture mod. It's pretty.

Trash Boat
2009-11-15, 8:31 PM
Moments into this new playthough, I am really seeing a difference now with the high resolution texture mod. It's pretty.

Link? And do you have to start a new game like your post implies?

Windansea
2009-11-15, 8:31 PM
Any mods yet to fix the fucking elf ears so that they are like the ones basically every elf NPC has?

Lapak
2009-11-15, 8:39 PM
Oh God, this game has caused my first "Oh crap it's 4am I have work tomorrow... later today" since Civ 4 came out.This right here. I lose track of time a LOT more than in most games while playing this.

Common Sensei
2009-11-15, 8:40 PM
Link? And do you have to start a new game like your post implies?

No, I'm just noticing it more with all the dialogue closeups in an origin chapter.

Link:
http://social.bioware.com/project/539/

Bester
2009-11-15, 8:44 PM
Some people are starting to mod in larger fonts:
http://social.bioware.com/project/567/

Killjoy
2009-11-15, 8:56 PM
My favorite mod by far:

http://www.fileplanet.com/207207/200000/fileinfo/Dragon-Age:-Origins---No-Starting-Abilities-Mod

It does what it says: it removes the locked-in starter abilities and gives you back those points to spend as you wish. Good thing too, because I absolutely hated that my attempt to play an Elven Ranger had a point wasted on Poison.

Jarp Habib
2009-11-15, 9:10 PM
My favorite mod by far:

http://www.fileplanet.com/207207/200000/fileinfo/Dragon-Age:-Origins---No-Starting-Abilities-Mod

It does what it says: it removes the locked-in starter abilities and gives you back those points to spend as you wish. Good thing too, because I absolutely hated that my attempt to play an Elven Ranger had a point wasted on Poison.

Since having at least 1 point in poison is the only way to coat your weapons in the many plentiful toxins that are littered over the battlefield, I started giving everybody a rank in Poison once I maxed their vital bits.

Talkinsquirrel
2009-11-15, 9:19 PM
Why wouldn't you want poison? Poisoning your weapons is a great dps boost

Rook
2009-11-15, 9:23 PM
It doesn't do anything for archers IIRC.

Talkinsquirrel
2009-11-15, 9:25 PM
pretty sure it does. I put poison on Leilania's bow and i saw her numbers have added poison damage to it.

Killjoy
2009-11-15, 9:51 PM
Why wouldn't you want poison? Poisoning your weapons is a great dps boost
My character concept doesn't include poisoning things, thus it's a point spent on something that I didn't want. I may change my mind later on if I find my ranger to be of dubious use without it, but that doesn't change the fact that I dislike having even one point spent without my consent.

Warriors being crowbarred into starting with Shield Bash is an even more perfect example of why I love this mod. If you intend to be a two-hander or a dual wielder the game still sticks you with Shield Bash. Well, not any more!

Yunara
2009-11-15, 10:30 PM
Yeah, Arcane Warrior SOUNDS fun, but I am not sure I want to deal with the horrendous fatigue penalty. Warriors at least get some talents to mitigate it.

Turn Combat magic off, duh.

I play an Arcane Warrior, and the fatigue is worth the trade off for offensive casting or backup healing. And I can always turn combat magic on for non-hard fights and have another brute to bash things in.

For easy fights I can throw a big spell or two to start things off knowing the aggro wont kill me, in fact it makes things easier, since I can aggro a large deal of mobs until the tank picks them off me.

Bester
2009-11-15, 10:34 PM
I'm concerned about the sanity of the first town's innkeeper. I'm on a replay and I'm asking him about rumors and he goes from Saying he won't say anything about me being a warden because he know the wardens wouldn't have killed the king and being fine with me fighting, killing, and running off the regent's men to Saying that the notion of the regent being involved in the king's death is insane and that putting him in there as regent would have been something the King's father would have agreed with.

karlean7
2009-11-15, 11:39 PM
Damn. Thanks for the link. Gonna have to try that one out.
I have made it with Alistair as a man. It was awesome. I actually had to load a previous save because for some reason the ring didn't work on my latest guy (I believe it is because I was already on a romance tree), but this powerful tool will be most useful to me in the future, when I play as a different guy.

Spencer
2009-11-16, 12:22 AM
This game is fucking frustrating. I'm in Redcliffe and I can't get past the courtyard.. so I went to do Chanter's board quests to get more XP and health potion and I can't even complete any of them.

Rook
2009-11-16, 12:49 AM
Then turn down the difficulty?

Rastlin
2009-11-16, 12:55 AM
Has anyone else completed the Unbound quest? That was harder than killing a dragon.

GeoGonzo
2009-11-16, 1:18 AM
Bah, I was looking forward to having Zev in my party, but he's clueless when it comes to lockpicking... And he sure as hell can't replace a tank or healer. If I play as a mage next time, I'll pick up that respec mode and sort things out.

Decius
2009-11-16, 1:34 AM
Has anyone else completed the Unbound quest? That was harder than killing a dragon.

Yeah, it was probably the hardest fight for me except the last battle. Small room and his AoE makes it pretty challenging (as in: two mages dead seconds into the fight).

Striker
2009-11-16, 4:18 AM
What was the first game that did that for you? I think it was either Ultima 7 or Eye of the Beholder 2 for me.

Heroes of Might and Magic II. My first all-nighter, since it was in summer and dawn was around 5 :P.

Hipster
2009-11-16, 4:49 AM
Dalish Forest Dungeon question

How do you activate the water jub on the alter in the Elvish Tablet quest in the werewolf dungeon? I'm playing the PC version i can't seem to figure how to...use the juh?

edit: for clarity...maybe...

Striker
2009-11-16, 4:51 AM
Dalish Forest Dungeon question

I found the jug in the werewolf dungeon and I found an alter, but I have no idea how to put the jug on the alter and do the ritual. any ideas? To be specific it's the grey stone alter you find in one of the side rooms not far from the pool o water

This is the new Mankrik's Wife.

Hipster
2009-11-16, 4:52 AM

ah what?

like it's probably as basic as right clicking the right icon but I have Nooooo idea how to activate it.

Decius
2009-11-16, 5:01 AM
ah what?

like it's probably as basic as right clicking the right icon but I have Nooooo idea how to activate it.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Mankrik%27s_Wife
Referring to quests that cause trouble for many people. Usually because of bad design - not giving people a hint where to look for the solution or not making the hint obvious enough.

The sequence of events you need to do should be in your Journal:

Remove jug from pool
Take jug to alter
Kneel and pray
Sip from jug
Return jug to pool

Hipster
2009-11-16, 5:05 AM
http://www.wowwiki.com/Mankrik%27s_Wife
Referring to quests that cause trouble for many people. Usually because of bad design - not giving people a hint where to look for the solution or not making the hint obvious enough.

The sequence of events you need to do should be in your Journal:

Remove jug from pool
Take jug to alter
Kneel and pray
Sip from jug
Return jug to pool

Does it matter if the jug is full or not, because I have a full jug and it's not giving me any option to place the jug on the alter, not if I right click, not if I examine it, nothing...

Decius
2009-11-16, 5:07 AM
Does it matter if the jug is full or not, because I have a full jug and it's not giving me any option to place the jug on the alter, not if I right click, not if I examine it, nothing...

It should be full I think, since you need to drink from it. Haven't tried it empty though, so I can't say for sure. It's also the altar in the same room as the fountain, don't try to put it onto the broken altar a few rooms away like I did for about 20 minutes, that's for the Arcane Warrior-quest...

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-16, 5:08 AM
I know it! It's right up there with Parzival's Gambit and The Quest For The Baslilisk's Cloaca! AMIRITE

GCrane
2009-11-16, 5:39 AM
This game is fucking frustrating. I'm in Redcliffe and I can't get past the courtyard.. so I went to do Chanter's board quests to get more XP and health potion and I can't even complete any of them.Have you tried opening the gates to the left, via the lever? The boss guy there is extremely difficult, and impossible to beat without opening those gates. I also drew the skeleton archers down by hiding behind a tree, first, then slowly pulled the undead with the boss.

Melanchthon
2009-11-16, 6:31 AM
Have you tried opening the gates to the left, via the lever? The boss guy there is extremely difficult, and impossible to beat without opening those gates. I also drew the skeleton archers down by hiding behind a tree, first, then slowly pulled the undead with the boss.
Like, literally impossible or just really hard? 'Cause I opened the gates as a matter of course but I don't remember having any problems with the fight (On normal difficulty). My basic tactic for every fight now is to let Alistair run in, taunt, then roll force fields on him (Both my mage and Wynne have it), having him taunt again during the brief interim between fields. The rest of my party is ranged so I have them set to focus fire any ranged enemies (mages first) and then switch to Alistair's target. It makes for really easy fights once any ranged targets are dead.

Decius
2009-11-16, 6:41 AM
Like, literally impossible or just really hard?

Only hard. Enough (ranged) CC and using LoS and the fight is doable.

Approaching the bigger fights like a WoW raid encounter really helps a lot in DA.

Killjoy
2009-11-16, 6:41 AM
Have you tried opening the gates to the left, via the lever? The boss guy there is extremely difficult, and impossible to beat without opening those gates. I also drew the skeleton archers down by hiding behind a tree, first, then slowly pulled the undead with the boss.
I didn't notice the lever or those knights until after that harrowing fight, and I wanted to kick myself.

Melanchthon
2009-11-16, 7:16 AM
I didn't notice the lever or those knights until after that harrowing fight, and I wanted to kick myself.

I did this all the time in the early game. Like, when I was doing the tower of Ishal I didn't notice the ballistae or the Mabari cages until after I had killed the mobs in those rooms. Now I pretty much run around with tab held down so I don't miss anything else.

Alymon
2009-11-16, 7:31 AM
Finished it over the weekend.

Holy Crap.

Damn Morrigan. I was not expecting that. Ended up going along with her plan. Seemed like I had a pretty decent ending, with only a couple things I might have done a little differently.

Common Sensei
2009-11-16, 9:35 AM
I did this all the time in the early game. Like, when I was doing the tower of Ishal I didn't notice the ballistae or the Mabari cages until after I had killed the mobs in those rooms. Now I pretty much run around with tab held down so I don't miss anything else.

There's even something at the very, very end, too.

dane
2009-11-16, 10:13 AM
dwarven politics question

i'm trying to avoid taking sides with harrowmont and bhelan, i think both of them will fuck me over first chance they get. Is there are way to keep playing both sides or do i absolutely have to make a choice between them to further the plot? I don't want to know who's the right candidate, as i honestly believe both are full of shit, i'd just like to know if there's a neutral way out of this mess

Common Sensei
2009-11-16, 10:16 AM

i'm trying to avoid taking sides with harrowmont and baelan, i think both of them will fuck me over first chance they get. Is there are way to keep playing both sides or do i absolutely have to make a choice between them to further the plot? I don't want to know who's the right candidate, as i honestly believe both are full of shit, i'd just like to know if there's a neutral way out of this mess

I don't think what you're looking for exists.

Nim
2009-11-16, 10:16 AM
You gotta pick one, Orzammar needs a king.

Striker
2009-11-16, 10:18 AM

i'm trying to avoid taking sides with harrowmont and baelan, i think both of them will fuck me over first chance they get. Is there are way to keep playing both sides or do i absolutely have to make a choice between them to further the plot? I don't want to know who's the right candidate, as i honestly believe both are full of shit, i'd just like to know if there's a neutral way out of this mess

You absolutely have to. You need to put one of them on the throne to get the dwarves to join your army. From the Warden POV it doesn't matter who is king, just that there is a king. Possibly the dwarf origins could give you some extra choices, but I don't think any of them will change the basic dilemma...it has to be one of the two (and yes, neither is ideal. Bhelen is a lying, conniving, murdering son of a bitch, and Harrowmont is a conservative's conservative...and not that politically competent, either).

Jobrill
2009-11-16, 10:34 AM
What's interesting to me is the fate of the Dwarven Kingdom at the end of the game Bhalen may be a bastard and a tyrant, but at least he actually treats the casteless well and is supposedly making real strides to modernize Ozrammar. Of course, either way, he still nearly sparks a holy war with the Chantry, but that seems inevitable if your character helped establish one. Oh yeah, and even if you destroyed the anvil, it seems either way they try to salvage it and get a lot of shapers killed. Essentially, it sucks to be you if you're an Ozrammar Dwarf.

Common Sensei
2009-11-16, 10:35 AM
What's interesting to me is the fate of the Dwarven Kingdom at the end of the game Bhalen may be a bastard and a tyrant, but at least he actually treats the casteless well and is supposedly making real strides to modernize Ozrammar. Of course, either way, he still nearly sparks a holy war with the Chantry, but that seems inevitable if your character helped establish one. Oh yeah, and even if you destroyed the anvil, it seems either way they try to salvage it and get a lot of shapers killed. Essentially, it sucks to be you if you're an Ozrammar Dwarf.

The problems with the Orzammar Chantry if you help establish one happen regardless of who is in charge.

dane
2009-11-16, 10:37 AM
Choosing the candidate i'll give my vote too will be a long, difficult decision requiring much research, study and investigation in to the two prospective candidates for the throne of Orzammar.

Heads. Harrowmont wins.

Alymon
2009-11-16, 10:39 AM
Choosing the candidate i'll give my vote too will be a long, difficult decision requiring much research, study and investigation in to the two prospective candidates for the throne of Orzammar.

Heads. Harrowmont wins.

That's pretty much what I did. Actually, I walked in and was feeling impatient. I just happened to run into Harrowmont's estate first. So that's who I supported.

CyanideRush
2009-11-16, 10:40 AM

Heads. Harrowmont wins.

Just vote Obama-Dwarf or whichever offers full healthcare for all.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-16, 11:00 AM
I love the orzammar criers.

BHELAN SEEN SUCKING THE DICK OF A HURLOCK! SHOCKING DETAILS!

HARROWMONT'S MAMA BE SO THICK SHE USE A VCR AS A BEEPER! GREY WARDEN SHAKES HEAD IN DISGUST! SHOCKING DETAILS!

Xyzandra
2009-11-16, 11:25 AM
I play a dwarf noble. There's only one choice. (not that I've gone there yet)

I'm going to set my brother on fire. Bastard

Jobrill
2009-11-16, 11:38 AM
I played a Dwarf Commoner, and similarly, that sort of made me inclined to one candidate.

My Sister is Bhalen's Baby Momma, so I supported him to keep her and my Mom in the royal palace and off the streets.

Common Sensei
2009-11-16, 2:12 PM
Not at home to try it out, but this looks interesting in that it adds tactics conditions:

Ally - Status dead
Enemy - Nearest visible race
Self - Target at range
Self/Enemy - X enemies alive
Self/Enemy - X enemies dead
Self/Enemy - X allies alive
Self/Enemy - X allies 50% injured
Self/Enemy - X allies have curable effects

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20

A Benevolent Picaroon
2009-11-16, 2:15 PM
I like that the title of this thread hasn't changed

Katara
2009-11-16, 2:25 PM

I think the irony has been lost on few.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-16, 2:59 PM
Not at home to try it out, but this looks interesting in that it adds tactics conditions:

Ally - Status dead
Enemy - Nearest visible race
Self - Target at range
Self/Enemy - X enemies alive
Self/Enemy - X enemies dead
Self/Enemy - X allies alive
Self/Enemy - X allies 50% injured
Self/Enemy - X allies have curable effects

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20
If there's a tactics set that prevents Morrigan from expressing her affection for me via a Cone of Cold spell up my culo, would you let me know?

It's causing a strain in our relationship.

boogada
2009-11-16, 3:05 PM
I haven't found a tactic set that's getting the AI to use those cone spells on their own in an effective way. Better off just keeping it off her tactics and switching to her to cast it when it's needed.

Baron La Croix
2009-11-16, 3:09 PM

i'm trying to avoid taking sides with harrowmont and bhelan, i think both of them will fuck me over first chance they get. Is there are way to keep playing both sides or do i absolutely have to make a choice between them to further the plot? I don't want to know who's the right candidate, as i honestly believe both are full of shit, i'd just like to know if there's a neutral way out of this mess

I went with Harrowmont because I liked the way he and his aide responded to my report of the Blight. They seemed to take it more seriously than Bhelan.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-16, 3:17 PM
nuke orzammar I went with Bhelan; I didn't like the way Harrowmont was trying to use me and my office directly. That shit don't fly with the Grey Wardens.

nekodeev
2009-11-16, 3:37 PM
Man I had to turn off Wynne's "drink potion at %10 mana" tactic because she burned through like, 50 thanks to just running out of mana after the combat had finished.

Say Yes To The Wes
2009-11-16, 3:49 PM

like you i never want it to change :crinkle:

Nim
2009-11-16, 10:49 PM
Oh god, I've already downloaded like 10 mods for my second play through. It's BG2 all over again!

Common Sensei
2009-11-16, 10:51 PM
Oh god, I've already downloaded like 10 mods for my second play through. It's BG2 all over again!

Except without the creepy NPC mods (so far).

Nim
2009-11-16, 11:01 PM
Except without the creepy NPC mods (so far).

Too slow! There's already mods that make the Lady of the Forrest and Succubi bare chested.

Edit: Btw the HD Texture (http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15) guy is fucking crazy, he's uploading mini-packs with new texture's almost hourly!

Jarp Habib
2009-11-16, 11:14 PM

I checked out a few of the custom weapon sets.

Yeahhhh HELLO TWINKSVILLE!

An item enchanted with a mana shield that doesn't drop the shield when you are out of mana makes your mage INVINCIBLE. And the items respawn in your inventory whenever you load the game and they are not equipped on your main. Hello duplicates all over the place. Argh. 10 minute mods are so bad.

Common Sensei
2009-11-16, 11:14 PM
Too slow! There's already mods that make the Lady of the Forrest and Succubi bare chested.

Edit: Btw the HD Texture (http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15) guy is fucking crazy, he's uploading mini-packs with new texture's almost hourly!

I was thinking more along the lines of the 16-year old Paladin and that Imoen Mod.

At least the bare breast mod has potential hilarity like that thread we had a few years ago about the Oblivion mod and the efforts to remove it.

Nim
2009-11-16, 11:23 PM
I checked out a few of the custom weapon sets.

Yeahhhh HELLO TWINKSVILLE!

Yeah, I'm sticking mostly to utility mods for the time being. I like that Items in this game feel a lot less powerful and less common than I'm used to in RPGs.

I was thinking more along the lines of the 16-year old Paladin and that Imoen Mod.

Give it time, just give it time. I'm sure there will be a creephile mod along in short order and just think, now it will have full voice over! 65544

P.S. Bioware's new integration tool for player made content is pretty tits.

Rastlin
2009-11-16, 11:37 PM
I've just finished it. Had good endings, except the Orzamarr, but I guess they're screwed no matter what.

My one seemingly great feat was never even having cone of cold on my mages.

Nim
2009-11-16, 11:58 PM
My one seemingly great feat was never even having cone of cold on my mages.

No joke, that is pretty epic.

boogada
2009-11-17, 12:27 AM
I finished my 2nd play through with 1 mage, no cone of cold, and no spirit healer talents. I felt pretty :smug:.

Common Sensei
2009-11-17, 12:30 AM
I finished my 2nd play through with 1 mage, no cone of cold, and no spirit healer talents. I felt pretty :smug:.

My first playthrough was a mage, and by the time I had heard how boss that spell was, I was already at the end of the game.

Bester
2009-11-17, 12:42 AM
I finally got a response from EA regarding my unusable key for the game itself. I was happy to see it. thinking I might finally have a completely legit way to play the game I bought and found:

Directions for registering DLC.

They took this long to give me a freaking form letter that has nothing to do with my issue. I sent another message clarifying that I was refering to the main serial and not the serial for the DLC. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Striker
2009-11-17, 2:53 AM
Man I had to turn off Wynne's "drink potion at %10 mana" tactic because she burned through like, 50 thanks to just running out of mana after the combat had finished.

Yeah, considering the amount of lyrium she chugs daily she should be like the UU Bursar by about the halfway point of the game :P.

Decius
2009-11-17, 4:06 AM
Wynne has by default her Heroic Aura in the Tactics. The thing drinks mana like no tomorrow. First thing to do if you get Wynne: Remove the Tactic if you value your mana.

Dataphiliac
2009-11-17, 5:05 AM
I actually respecc'd just to get cone of cold :p

But I don't know what other spells to get. I have:

Glyphs up to lvl 3
Cold up to lvl 3
Creation up to level 4 (err, the branch that has wisp and mana bloom and the epic huge nature dot).

and like 4 spells i haven't spent yet.

EDIT: Honestly, the glyph of paralysis + glyph of repulsion combo is just sick. :D

Decius
2009-11-17, 5:18 AM
Entropy is always great if you need some CC. The hexes are pretty nifty too, especially Death Hex and Affliction Hex that change boss mobs into pushovers for a few seconds.

Dataphiliac
2009-11-17, 5:22 AM
Yeah, my character used to be entropy, (had max of the horror/sleep tree and max of the death cloud tree).

I'm thinking of respec'ing again and getting drain life and syphon mana so that as i kill people i can get health and mana back.

EDIT: Also, this is the respec mod I use: it's incredibly easy to install and use, and you can also use it to unlock specializations: http://social.bioware.com/project/469/

Ben Wyatt: Human Disaster
2009-11-17, 5:25 AM

Edit: Btw the HD Texture (http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15) guy is fucking crazy, he's uploading mini-packs with new texture's almost hourly!it must be hard to develop textures with one hand

Striker
2009-11-17, 5:43 AM
Hmm...So...in Lothering, there's two NPCs outside that'll normally hand out crafting quests (one for herbalism, one for trapmaking). Only for some reason they won't talk to my rogue, saying I'm a troublemaker.

What might have caused this?

Dataphiliac
2009-11-17, 5:45 AM
OH MY GOD. If you have Shale and Zevran in your group at the same time their conversations are *priceless*

Decius
2009-11-17, 5:52 AM
Hmm...So...in Lothering, there's two NPCs outside that'll normally hand out crafting quests (one for herbalism, one for trapmaking). Only for some reason they won't talk to my rogue, saying I'm a troublemaker.

What might have caused this?

Did you rob people blind in Lothering? Some NPCs react to doing this this way.

Striker
2009-11-17, 5:53 AM
Did you rob people blind in Lothering? Some NPCs react to doing this this way.

I'm a rogue. What do you think? :P

(Right, I'll tone it down a little on my next attempt...)

Dataphiliac
2009-11-17, 7:19 AM
Oh god. Syphon mana is crazy useful. Just turn it on at the beginning of the fight and you keep getting the +mana as the waves of enemies die.

PagingCraig
2009-11-17, 8:34 AM
I wonder if someone will make a mod adding drop-in coop. That would be fun to just have a friend control another character.

Striker
2009-11-17, 8:37 AM
I wonder if someone will make a mod adding drop-in coop. That would be fun to just have a friend control another character.

Archangel3d
2009-11-17, 9:00 AM

Um... I don't think this is any more feasible than magically turning the game into a first-person shooter. Actually, it's probably more likely that someone make a FPS mod than hack the game itself to allow people to connect over internet and set up live multiplayer, let alone fundamentally rewrite the mechanics of an intrinsically single-player experience.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-17, 9:04 AM
I have no clue how feasible it is but it's probably enormously difficult if it's even hypothetically possible. There's essentially no chance that the game will have multiplayer unless BioWare adds it.

gamerk2
2009-11-17, 9:09 AM
I've just finished it. Had good endings, except the Orzamarr, but I guess they're screwed no matter what.

The only thing I can think of is playing Dwarf Noble and returning to Orzamarr instead of staying with the Wardens at the end. Same ending I got, me thinks.

gamerk2
2009-11-17, 9:10 AM

First off, you would need to add a IP backend to the game. Then, you need to re-write to pre-empt all tactics for selected characters (keeping in mind that you currently can't select two at one time), and allow simultanious input.

Could be done easily by Bioware, but impossible for the end users.

Archangel3d
2009-11-17, 9:37 AM
Don't forget dealing with pause functionality, interaction triggers and the sheer volume of dialogue, all of which make for terrible gameplay in multi:
A. These are disabled or removed, which makes the game a lame, generic hack-and-slash
B. Only the "main player" can access these functions, which can be both boring and disconcerting for the other player
C. Both players can perform these, which leads to wide-spread confusion, too frequent pausing and issues with dialogue choices

Dataphiliac
2009-11-17, 9:44 AM
This game is based on an engine that is used in nwn2, right? That had mp in it...

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-17, 9:46 AM
Gamers have hacked multiplayer into games before, and there is the (distant) possibility that there is some old multiplayer code left in the game, and players could use the toolset to create multiplayer-friendly dungeon crawls. That said, yeah, there's no way you'll get co-op in the main campaign.

Tortuga Baņana
2009-11-17, 9:46 AM
This game is based on an engine that is used in nwn2, right? That had mp in it...
Nope, new engine IIRC. NWN2 MP was also awful :ermm:

dane
2009-11-17, 9:51 AM
ahahahah, another reason why this game is awesome; there's a reference to The Simpsons in the Deep Roads, you bump into two thugs named 'Hired Goons'

i love this fuckin game.

theoldgaffer
2009-11-17, 12:23 PM
ahahahah, another reason why this game is awesome; there's a reference to The Simpsons in the Deep Roads, you bump into two thugs named 'Hired Goons'

i love this fuckin game.

that's pretty generic, how do you know it's a simpsons reference?

Alymon
2009-11-17, 12:39 PM
that's pretty generic, how do you know it's a simpsons reference?

Just let him have it!

I love this game because I'm on my second play through and realizing how certain characters played a role in other stories that I didn't experience on play through 1.

Nim
2009-11-17, 12:51 PM
I love this game because I'm on my second play through and realizing how certain characters played a role in other stories that I didn't experience on play through 1.

Seconding this. I'm going through and playing the Origin stories for everybody and the number of people you meet who will have resonance later in the main plot is awesome. They really, really worked to make the O in DA:O matter. It's not just dialogue tokens, where you come from matters in how you'll experience the game.

Jobrill
2009-11-17, 12:55 PM
So I discovered there's a way to get Bann Teagan a happy ending in that he marries Kaitlyn, the girl whose brother you saved in Redcliffe, but apparently only if you get her brother to tell you about a sword they own and pay her lots of gold for it. I just finished redcliffe on my second playthrough, but now I am tempted to go back to an earlier save and replay it (and possibly half the mage tower if I didn't save enough) just because Kaitlyn and Teagan would make a cute couple. I mean, seriously, the Age difference can't be that much different from Isolde and Eamon.

Divi Filius
2009-11-17, 12:57 PM
Do you have to pay her for it? I just gave the damn thing to her.

UGH I altered the timeline, FUCK.

Jobrill
2009-11-17, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure. On my first playthrough I didn't even find out about the sword.

Nim
2009-11-17, 1:00 PM
After playing with the console commands a bit it looks like that overall play through percentage the game gives you it based directly off the number of Achievements you've done.

Striker
2009-11-17, 1:09 PM
Seconding this. I'm going through and playing the Origin stories for everybody and the number of people you meet who will have resonance later in the main plot is awesome. They really, really worked to make the O in DA:O matter. It's not just dialogue tokens, where you come from matters in how you'll experience the game.

It's also fun when you run into references to other origins...like the story about how the Arl of Denerim's family got wiped out, or the prisoners you find in the carta hideout (one of them didn't make it...) :D.

Alymon
2009-11-17, 1:11 PM
I'm not sure. On my first playthrough I didn't even find out about the sword.

I gave it to her and told her to sell it. I didn't want to give up any of my precious gold. :greedy:

Jobrill
2009-11-17, 1:13 PM
It's also fun when you run into references to other origins...like the story about how the Arl of Denerim's family got wiped out, or the prisoners you find in the carta hideout (one of them didn't make it...) :D.

Yeah, I do love how it seems like in any given playthrough, every origin seems to have happened to one extent or another, but of course, Duncan can only show up to help save the day and recruit one person to be a Grey Warden.

Alymon
2009-11-17, 1:20 PM
Yeah, I do love how it seems like in any given playthrough, every origin seems to have happened to one extent or another, but of course, Duncan can only show up to help save the day and recruit one person to be a Grey Warden.

The first time I played through I was a city elf. Sometime during my game, I met a mage named Jowan. I didn't think anything of it in the way I handled the situation.

Spoilers INC. Probably best not to read if you haven't completed the Mage origin and Redcliffe.

On my elf playthrough, I found out that he poisoned Arl Eamon, but I convinced him to redeem himself and he did a ritual to clear the castle, killing someone however. I also told Arl Eamon that he should send Jowan to the mage tower as punishment (I think).

Later on, I found a quest on the chanters board that spoke of Jowan causing more problems, escaping from his escort back to the mage's tower. At the time, I thought, that bastard... after I took pity on him and tried to spare his life.

After playing the Mage's origin, now I know the full back story of Jowan and understand why he wouldn't have wanted to go back to the mage's tower. It's makes sense now. I'm real curious how the dialogue will go when I get back to Redcliffe on my second playthrough and run into Jowan.

Decius
2009-11-17, 1:37 PM
After playing the Mage's origin, now I know the full back story of Jowan and understand why he wouldn't have wanted to go back to the mage's tower. It's makes sense now. I'm real curious how the dialogue will go when I get back to Redcliffe on my second playthrough and run into Jowan.

He is supposed to be your friend and lies to you every time you talk to him. He uses you and then whines and begs. He's nearly managed to make me approve of making shitty mages like him into Tranquils. He is fucking dangerous with his gift paired with is lack on control or reason.

Alymon
2009-11-17, 2:05 PM
He is supposed to be your friend and lies to you every time you talk to him. He uses you and then whines and begs. He's nearly managed to make me approve of making shitty mages like him into Tranquils. He is fucking dangerous with his gift paired with is lack on control or reason.

Yeah, I realized right away that he isn't much of a friend. However, I still helped him in the beginning.

I don't know what I'll do to him later on.

I'm considering playing as an anti-mage mage.

Nim
2009-11-17, 2:22 PM
Later on, I found a quest on the chanters board that spoke of Jowan causing more problems, escaping from his escort back to the mage's tower. At the time, I thought, that bastard... after I took pity on him and tried to spare his life.

Are you sure about this part? I remember that quest and it was my understanding that incident took place when he was first captured and taken to Emon's castle.

Alymon
2009-11-17, 2:36 PM
Are you sure about this part? I remember that quest and it was my understanding that incident took place when he was first captured and taken to Emon's castle.

No. There was a lot to take in and it's possible I read it wrong. But I know the quest didn't show up til after I finished Redcliffe completely and I'm pretty sure it mentioned that he was being taken to the tower.

I played through the game in about 50 hours. It was a lot crammed into that 50 hours and just about every decision had me questioning what was right and wrong. I know I missed a lot, and I know my memory of it is not all that great.

I just know it was awesome, and there was a lot of stuff that my actions seemed to effect, even if only a little bit.

frobbnik
2009-11-17, 2:52 PM
there's mention of a bloodmage, i don't think it was jowan.

anyway, this is why you murder his ass in redcliffe.

Alymon
2009-11-17, 2:56 PM
there's mention of a bloodmage, i don't think it was jowan.

anyway, this is why you murder his ass in redcliffe.

Maybe that was it. I may have assumed it was Jowan because it fit within what happened to him in my game perfectly.

Maybe that was their point too? Don't mention his name in it, but allow the player to assume it is him (if they let him live).

Nim
2009-11-17, 3:11 PM
Mage and Human Noble Origins have been the best so far. Still need to try the Dwarf Noble. Dwarf commoner and Dalish elf were both kinda meh.

About the Human Noble, Duncan press ganging you while your father is dying at your feet. Damn that guy is cold blooded.

Alymon
2009-11-17, 3:13 PM
Mage and Human Noble Origins have been the best so far. Still need to try the Dwarf Noble. Dwarf commoner and Dalish elf were both kinda meh.

About the Human Noble, Duncan press ganging you while your father is dying at your feet. Damn that guy is cold blooded.

I liked the City Elf better than the Mage. They are the only two I've tried so far though.

The Lazarus
2009-11-17, 3:18 PM
Maybe that was it. I may have assumed it was Jowan because it fit within what happened to him in my game perfectly.

Maybe that was their point too? Don't mention his name in it, but allow the player to assume it is him (if they let him live).
Weird, I thought it said that soldiers came and rescued him. I just assumed Loghain's men came to grab him so he wouldn't be a witness.

Nim
2009-11-17, 3:25 PM
It was my understanding that, Jowan was on the run from the Templar and Loghain either heard about this or his men happened upon the Templar while they were apprehending Jowan and intervened. He was taken to Loghain who then managed to talk him into poisoning Emon. So the events detailed in the quest take place before you meet Jowan the second time.

It doesn't really make sense to me that he'd try to escape again anyway, he's never really dishonest or hesitant at any point. He just seems repentant and accepting of his punishment whatever it is.

Alymon
2009-11-17, 3:30 PM
I'll have to see if I have a save that has the quest. I'll check tonight and report back.

DBZ Is Gold
2009-11-17, 4:08 PM
Does Templar armor drop in any specific area? It looks pretty boss, and I want to look pretty boss while I'm killing some darkspawn.

Common Sensei
2009-11-17, 4:10 PM
Mage and Human Noble Origins have been the best so far.

I didn't know until a second visit to the Mage origin that you could tell First Enchanter Irving what Jowan was planning. It's a lot of the little things like this that make me love the game.

Nim
2009-11-17, 4:15 PM
I didn't know until a second visit to the Mage origin that you could tell First Enchanter Irving what Jowan was planning. It's a lot of the little things like this that make me love the game.

I did this on my first play through, but I don't think I will again. It makes sense to turn Jowan in cause he's got the crazies, but it really fucks up the scene at the end of the Origin. Duncan is swooping in to save you from death at the hands of the Templar and I was all, "Nah it's alright, the First Enchanter and I are on top of this shit. Wait, I still have to go with you? Wtf?" It makes things feel really forced.

Jobrill
2009-11-17, 4:19 PM
Does Templar armor drop in any specific area? It looks pretty boss, and I want to look pretty boss while I'm killing some darkspawn.

You should be able to get it, at least the helm and armor, in the mage tower.

Killjoy
2009-11-17, 4:23 PM
You should be able to get it, at least the helm and armor, in the mage tower.
There are two sets of it: Templar armor which gives 20% spell resist, and Knight Commander armor which gives 40% spell resist.

The Lazarus
2009-11-17, 4:27 PM
I did this on my first play through, but I don't think I will again. It makes sense to turn Jowan in cause he's got the crazies, but it really fucks up the scene at the end of the Origin. Duncan is swooping in to save you from death at the hands of the Templar and I was all, "Nah it's alright, the First Enchanter and I are on top of this shit. Wait, I still have to go with you? Wtf?" It makes things feel really forced.
That's...the whole point of Conscription. It's not messed up, that's what Grey Wardens do.

Dataphiliac
2009-11-17, 4:39 PM
I'm having a hard time playing a mage that isn't gimped. AoE is completely useless if it also kills your allies :/.

Nim
2009-11-17, 4:40 PM
That's...the whole point of Conscription. It's not messed up, that's what Grey Wardens do.

I know, it just made the scene play out really weird, since Duncan it was obvious Duncan was supposed to be pulling your ass outa the fire.

The Lazarus
2009-11-17, 4:47 PM
I know, it just made the scene play out really weird, since Duncan it was obvious Duncan was supposed to be pulling your ass outa the fire.
He couldn't care less about the fire. He wants you for the Grey Wardens, and if that happens to save your life, that's a happy byproduct. It's the same deal with the Dalish Elf origin. He's not doing it to save your life, he's doing it because they need Grey Wardens.

Killjoy
2009-11-17, 4:48 PM
I'm having a hard time playing a mage that isn't gimped. AoE is completely useless if it also kills your allies :/.
Mage is the most powerful class in the game, dude. AOE before melee combat begins, and then stick to DD and cone spells. Alternatively only have one melee, make it a Templar (Alistair or your main if a Warrior), and have them wear the spell resist Templar gear once you acquire it (keep your other party members away from melee). Also equip +resist gear for the magic type that you're using for AOE (fire or cold).

nekodeev
2009-11-17, 4:52 PM
Status: Currently rooting out the ~dankest nugs~ in orzammarr

Sydney Carton
2009-11-17, 4:59 PM

There are a lot of Entropy and Spirit spells like Sleep, Mind Blast, Mass Paralysis which have AOE effects specifically targeting hostiles. There's some armor in the game like the Juggernaut set which have high resists if you want to send your melee through a Blizzard.

CyanideRush
2009-11-17, 5:02 PM
There's some armor in the game like the Juggernaut set which have high resists if you want to send your melee through a Blizzard.

Or just send Shale.

Killjoy
2009-11-17, 5:13 PM
Or just send Shale.
People keep saying this. My experience with Shale is that she was okay, but nowhere near as good as a well equipped sword & board tank.

Melanchthon
2009-11-17, 5:42 PM
People keep saying this. My experience with Shale is that she was okay, but nowhere near as good as a well equipped sword & board tank.
I'm doing the Deep Roads with Shale for the sake of character development, and she seems to do okay but I vastly prefer Al. She has the highest-tier ice crystals in both sockets and she still seems squishier and lower-threat than Alistair.

Striker
2009-11-17, 5:42 PM
I liked the City Elf better than the Mage. They are the only two I've tried so far though.

Funnily enough, Casteless Dwarf is probably the only positive origin story.

The guy who oppressed your family is dead by your hand. You've shown off your badass moves at the proving and embarrassed those stuck-up nobles and warriors. Your sister is likely to move up to a higher caste, even your mother is looking better...and you're going off on what is, to you, a life of luxury and freedom that you've never even dared to imagine.

City Elf gets close, since you actually manage to kill the motherfucker responsible for the whole tragedy, and if you play your cards right nobody else gets into trouble.

Dalish Elf is kinda...average. Yeah, you need to leave your home forever. That's basically it.

Mage...by the end of that story you'll have been betrayed by a supposed friend, and you've probably burned a few bridges in the process.

Human Noble...Red Wedding, basically.

Dwarf Noble...it doesn't get more depressing than that. Your family is destroyed, you're exiled, and there's good evidence that the murdering asshole behind the whole plot is already planning to off your father...and you can do absolutely nothing about it.

Striker
2009-11-17, 5:45 PM

Shale as a tank is very situational. The thing about her is that she's immune to many movement effects...like the various grapple attacks, or the revenant's 'Get over here!' move.

Melanchthon
2009-11-17, 5:48 PM
Random thought: Showing a buff on a character saying they have an item set bonus but not telling what the bonus actually is is the dumbest thing.

CyanideRush
2009-11-17, 5:49 PM
Did I miss something? Isn't Shale a male character? The voice actor sounds male. Did you just spoil shit for me!? Can I sex up Shale's hot rock box?

Jobrill
2009-11-17, 5:51 PM
Dwarven Commoner Origin: The guy who oppressed your family is dead by your hand. You've shown off your badass moves at the proving and embarrassed those stuck-up nobles and warriors. Your sister is likely to move up to a higher caste, even your mother is looking better...and you're going off on what is, to you, a life of luxury and freedom that you've never even dared to imagine.

Yeah, but it sort of gets a bit more depressing when you return to recruit the Dwarves. It turns out your Sister's Baby Daddy is the murdering bastard from the noble origin storyline (Except in this timeline, Duncan didn't come to rescue and recruit the middle child because he was too busy helping you out), so you'll probably feel sort of obligated to support him even though he's sort of a tyrant. Your Mother is still a bitter drunken sot who hates your guts. Also, Your friend and partner in crime from the old days is now second in command of the carta. He's also bitter and tries to kill you, forcing you to kill him in turn.

Of course, it sort of kinda semi turns around again in the end if you play your cards right, in that your family is promoted to Warrior Caste and you get declared a paragon, and even though Bhelen's a tyrant and dissolves the assembly and suppresses the Chantry he, uh, at least treats the casteless better than they used to be. So. Yay?

Melanchthon
2009-11-17, 5:54 PM
Did I miss something? Isn't Shale a male character? The voice actor sounds male. Did you just spoil shit for me!? Can I sex up Shale's hot rock box?
Shale is technically sexless. Shayle, on the other hand.. :shifty:

edit: Sorry if stuff gets spoiled for people in this thread. But a couple of pages back it was sort-of decided that this thread was already full of UMS and if people had mechanics questions and the like they should be reading the tactics thread. It's been a lot better about not spoiling.

Sheepy
2009-11-17, 6:01 PM
My experience seems to be different than most with Shale vs Alistair. I used both on my first playthrough and Shale was a beast. Kept aggro, never died, and did alot of damage. Alistair on the other hand was constantly dying in full Juggernaut armor with all the defensive talents he could have.

Playing again as a Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage, and it makes both of them look like a joke though :ermm:

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-17, 7:39 PM
Oh fachrissakes.

So I finally get the Friendship of the Thighs off of Morrigan, and almost immediately afterwards things got all weird. You can't even get no-strings schtuppah in a video game!

dane
2009-11-17, 7:40 PM
Shale is technically sexless. Shayle, on the other hand.. :shifty:

edit: Sorry if stuff gets spoiled for people in this thread. But a couple of pages back it was sort-of decided that this thread was already full of UMS and if people had mechanics questions and the like they should be reading the tactics thread. It's been a lot better about not spoiling.

yeah, i missed that memo. Somebody adding UMS to the title would be nice as i just had a few minor things spoiled.

Angel
2009-11-17, 8:01 PM
Oh fachrissakes.

So I finally get the Friendship of the Thighs off of Morrigan, and almost immediately afterwards things got all weird. You can't even get no-strings schtuppah in a video game!

Sure you can.

It's called Zevran.

Jimmy McForum
2009-11-17, 8:04 PM
SHHHHHH

gotta keep that on the downlow

(and my next playthrough)

Yunara
2009-11-17, 8:17 PM
Playing again as a Arcane Warrior/Blood Mage, and it makes both of them look like a joke though :ermm:

My Arcane Warrior has about 30 more armor than Alistair, which is sad, cause I give Alistair the better armor when I can :D

Melanchthon
2009-11-17, 9:33 PM
Holy shit the Broodmother. Dunno if that's even spoiler-worthy, it was in the unrated trailer or whatever. But still, goddamn.

edit: Trickster, give Draft a poke about the title. Not my thread. :ermm:

Tobiath
2009-11-17, 10:26 PM
Random thought: Showing a buff on a character saying they have an item set bonus but not telling what the bonus actually is is the dumbest thing.

Inspect any piece in the item set and it'll tell you what the set bonus does. Its usually in the last line or two of the description

meowster
2009-11-17, 10:28 PM
I'm really enjoying this game, but I can't get over the excessive blood splatter on the characters after they get into a fight. It looks so damn ridiculous.

Tobiath
2009-11-17, 10:30 PM
I'm really enjoying this game, but I can't get over the excessive blood splatter on the characters after they get into a fight. It looks so damn ridiculous.

I believe one of the options will fix this situation if you unselect it.

Nim
2009-11-17, 10:31 PM
There are a couple of mods already that lower or remove blood splatter if it starts to bug you too much.

meowster
2009-11-17, 10:31 PM
I believe one of the options will fix this situation if you unselect it.Really? I'll have to check that out. It's just an annoyance more than anything, but being able to get rid of it would be nice.

Xyzandra
2009-11-17, 10:34 PM
EDIT: Also, this is the respec mod I use: it's incredibly easy to install and use, and you can also use it to unlock specializations: http://social.bioware.com/project/469/

It's the one I used too. Also the only specializations it will unlock are ones with books. It doesn't do story based specializations

Melanchthon
2009-11-17, 10:44 PM
I'm having the nerdiest aneurysm ever. My mage is the biggest goody-two-shoes in all of Feralden. I give to the poor, I do good deeds for the Chantry and refuse payment, in every case I choose what is right over what is merely expedient. So now I have to decide, for once and for all, who my mage will support for the throne of Orzammar. And I believe that knowing only what he would actually know in-game, he would support one candidate. But if he knew how it all turns out (as I do, thank you metagaming) he'd choose the other. Hum.

Nim
2009-11-17, 10:45 PM
Flip a coin like everyone else.

meowster
2009-11-17, 10:47 PM
I'm having the nerdiest aneurysm ever. My mage is the biggest goody-two-shoes in all of Feralden. I give to the poor, I do good deeds for the Chantry and refuse payment, in every case I choose what is right over what is merely expedient. So now I have to decide, for once and for all, who my mage will support for the throne of Orzammar. And I believe that knowing only what he would actually know in-game, he would support one candidate. But if he knew how it all turns out (as I do, thank you metagaming) he'd choose the other. Hum.
I'm doing the same thing (being a goody goody mage) and after seeing my husband play some of that part, I'm actually worried about who to pick once I get to that part. I don't want to pick the wrong person.

Melanchthon
2009-11-17, 10:50 PM
I'm doing the same thing (being a goody goody mage) and after seeing my husband play some of that part, I'm actually worried about who to pick once I get to that part. I don't want to pick the wrong person.
Basically neither candidate is ideal. One is honorable and kind but that same honor will drive him to make some really bad decisions. The other is an asshole and does some terrible things but in the end his society will end up with a better quality of life for the average citizen.

Nim
2009-11-17, 10:55 PM
Dwarves are the only ones that get any help in the choice, since they have a very personal stake in one or the other depending on their Origin.

PagingCraig
2009-11-18, 12:10 AM
So um (Shale stuff)I did the entire Anvil part without Shale, didn't know there were golems in there. I assume I missed a lot of backstory there, so what did I miss out on :( ?

Decius
2009-11-18, 12:24 AM
So um (Shale stuff)I did the entire Anvil part without Shale, didn't know there were golems in there. I assume I missed a lot of backstory there, so what did I miss out on :( ?

Turns out Shale of House Kadesh was a fierce Dwarven Warrior woman who was one of the first volunteers for Golemification. She later gives you a personal quest to help her finding out more about her past and to verify if what the Smith said is true by finding a inscription with the names of the volunteers.
If you have Shale with you at the Anvil she will attack you if you side with Branka. If you don't have her with you you can later in camp persuade her to stay with you.
If you help the Smith you get some very nice conversation with Shale.

Dwarves are the only ones that get any help in the choice, since they have a very personal stake in one or the other depending on their Origin.

There are some hints in the game that Bhelen is a ruthless bastard - he says so himself - but a strong leader and that Harrowmat indeed is weak but relatively honorable. Grey Warden are all about "fight the Darkspawn, no matter the costs" so my choice was clear: Bhelen. Unlike Loghaine he hadn't insulted me personally or killed tons of Grey Wardens a king and an army, weakening the fight against the Darkspawn. That's why the one asshole gets the throne and the other the pointy end of my sword.

Melanchthon
2009-11-18, 12:27 AM
I believe you can go back to the Anvil afterwards with Shale in your party and still get the quest and all.

I'm a bit annoyed now 'cause I think I've gone and gotten a quest stuck in my log. When I first left the Anvil Ohgren asked if I wanted to go back to the Assembly right then and I said no 'cause I had another thaig to explore. When I was done I map-traveled to Orzammar and was immediately put into the assembly cutscene, where I ended up going back on my word to Bhelen and giving the crown to Harrowmont. Now I'm back in the commons and I still have the "Paragon of her Kind" quest incomplete telling me it's time to go back to Orzammar with crown in hand.

Bester
2009-11-18, 12:45 AM
If you go to the anvil, shale will just say that he would need a better look at the list to know anything. and of course, you've already gotten your rubbing of it by then, but Shale won't see it.

You have to go to the crossroads.

If that's not an option, talk to shale in camp until you tell him what happened at the Anvil.

Jarp Habib
2009-11-18, 12:49 AM
It's the one I used too. Also the only specializations it will unlock are ones with books. It doesn't do story based specializations

I used it the other day. It was AMAZING. I accidentally had a point of dual-weapon swing on my main zweihander dwarf, and being able to go take that out was awesome.

Striker
2009-11-18, 3:38 AM

Look at it like this:

Cynically speaking, Harrowmont's 'leadership' will likely drive more and more disenfranchised dwarves to the surface, eventually allowing the establishment of a more egalitarian dwarven society. In my mage playthrough, I went with Harrowmont, but I also made sure that a number of important people owed favors to me, and by extension the Wardens, not to the new king...I also helped to establish the Chantry even though I knew it'd cause trouble because it'd result in more surface dwarves and a further dilution of Orzammar's claim to absolute rule over the dwarves.
Or, as a more short-term rationalization, Bhelen might be effective, but one thing he definitely isn't is trustworthy.

Archangel3d
2009-11-18, 9:23 AM
Look at it like this:

Cynically speaking,

Ok ok stop right there. Maybe you don't understand the term "biggest goody-two-shoes in all of Feralden*". It's doesn't play well with terms like "cynically":eng101:.

* (:raises hand: Guilty! :v: )

Striker
2009-11-18, 9:30 AM
Okay, nerdy nitpick time:

For the most part, I rather like the design of the game. It's suitably fantastic without being too far over the top.

But there's one design choice that turns up in many, many fantasy games which always annoys me:

Volcanic cities.

In this case, Orzammar. It's funny, my suspension of disbelief can handle mages, elves and demons, but lava gives me serious trouble...

The problem is this: Any cavern containing liquid magma would a.) be filled with hideously toxic and corrosive gases and b.) have an 'air' temperature high enough to melt lead. Nothing organic could survive in such a place. Using open lava flows for heating and light, as the background material explains it, is frankly insane even by the standards of a genre that routinely throws giant six-limbed flying reptiles and non-euclidian architecture at the player.

This (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection) pretty much sums it up.

Jobrill
2009-11-18, 9:36 AM
It's not like that's unique to Dragon Age, though. Dwarven Cities in Volcanic Mountains is a staple of a lot of fantasy, and Ironforge in WoW has a giant pit of magma right in the middle of the city.

Archangel3d
2009-11-18, 9:44 AM
Volcanic Cities of the Dwarves are like Floating Cities of the mages. Technically, an unanchored mass of land, especially one that looks like it was torn right out of the ground, would be torn apart by its own mass once it was no longer supported by the ground around it. Obviously, you can just wave the magic wand, but maintaining the structural integrity of thousands of tons of earth, stone and masonry would require an unbelievable amount of reality-altering magic.

Although, your description gives me an idea for an almost creatureless dungeon setting. Mwahahah.