PDA

View Full Version : Anti Rape Campaign Aimed at Men

Shriketastic
2012-01-04, 8:30 PM
And well done at that.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/blazingmoogle/400484_10150477571344091_502324090_9153428_427978204_n.jpg

Yunara
2012-01-04, 8:37 PM
I liked the top two very much, I wasn't so fond of the look of the gay one, since it doesn't look like they are a couple like the rest, but rather like two people photoshop'ed next to each other and the bottom right guy looks douchy and his nose is the friggen size of a small moon.

Shriketastic
2012-01-04, 8:38 PM
... I see.

The Traveler
2012-01-04, 8:41 PM
The "My Strength" ads are being retired, though are considered a success. This is the new campaign they're starting:

http://mencanstoprape.blogspot.com/2011/12/saying-goodbye-to-my-strength-is-not.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Marten
2012-01-04, 8:41 PM
I swear this exact campaign was running a few years ago.

Shriketastic
2012-01-04, 8:42 PM
Huh. The picture got linked on my FB feed, and the guy was implying it was new. I had never heard of it before, and thought it was neat.

The Traveler
2012-01-04, 8:44 PM
They ran for a few months, and were well-received!

Edit: Whoops, not months, but years.

Spak
2012-01-04, 9:11 PM
Whether they're old or not, it's still an important message. I'm really glad it's circulating.

Shriketastic
2012-01-04, 10:03 PM
*sigh* a guy just told me "Well how are you not going to have sex with a drunk chick, you're drunk too! You know, there's a movement to turn sloppy casual sex into rape and it's retarded".

I wanted to scream and weep at the same time.

Breathe
2012-01-04, 10:11 PM
I don't think I've ever seen them before. I was going to say, we need more anti-rape campaigns aimed at men.

The Jay Cutler Show
2012-01-04, 10:12 PM
oh so women can't have strength??? what a sexist ad campaign

Jay
2012-01-04, 10:16 PM
The gay one is laughably bad.

"Yeah we just want two dudes standing next to each other not showing any form of affection or smiling or anything."

Davmeister84
2012-01-04, 10:20 PM
*sigh* a guy just told me "Well how are you not going to have sex with a drunk chick, you're drunk too! You know, there's a movement to turn sloppy casual sex into rape and it's retarded".

I wanted to scream and weep at the same time.

I kinda see where he was going with that. I mean, if you're both plastered out of your minds and neither one is saying no, then either its rape both ways or legit and remorse-filled.

Marten
2012-01-04, 10:20 PM
Whether they're old or not, it's still an important message. I'm really glad it's circulating.

Oh sure, I wasn't criticizing them on that basis, just confused that they were being pitched as a new campaign.

Inspector Spacetime
2012-01-04, 10:23 PM
Taking advantage of someone because he or she is drugged or drunk/getting someone drunk or drugged to take advantage of them = rape.

Being drunk and making bad decisions = not rape. I've always upheld this distinction.

Davmeister84
2012-01-04, 10:25 PM
Taking advantage of someone because he or she is drugged or drunk/getting someone drunk or drugged to take advantage of them = rape.

Being drunk and making bad decisions = not rape. I've always upheld this distinction.

No disagreement here. I just bring it up because in Shrike's specific quote the guy says that they would -both- be drunk and I'm assuming there was no specific "get the girl drunk to take advantage" motive.

The Jay Cutler Show
2012-01-04, 10:27 PM

agree

Inspector Spacetime
2012-01-04, 10:35 PM
What gets me though, is how pervasivethe fear of being accused of rape and having their lives ruined because this distinction might be blurred for someone else seems to be.

Actually getting a prosecution for rape is generally super hard, since there are generally no witnesses, it's hard to get an accurate rape kit done unless you go right away, etc. Going through with the process is often an uphill battle that proves quite fruitless.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2026&dat=20060120&id=bdgyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GvAFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6804,913370

http://www.musc.edu/vawprevention/research/sa.shtml

Davmeister84
2012-01-04, 10:38 PM
Granted, but the fear of having your named attached to that is big. And it sticks, even if nothing comes of it. Look at the Duke team a few years ago.

Inspector Spacetime
2012-01-04, 10:43 PM
I guess I see it from a more female empathetic viewpoint. The pain attached to surviving rape sticks as well and is at least as equally damaging if not moreso.

Shriketastic
2012-01-04, 10:45 PM
No disagreement here. I just bring it up because in Shrike's specific quote the guy says that they would -both- be drunk and I'm assuming there was no specific "get the girl drunk to take advantage" motive.

In between the two sentences, I had said "Sloppy casual sex is not rape", and he said "Of course! But there's a push to MAKE it rape!"

Davmeister84
2012-01-05, 12:59 AM
In between the two sentences, I had said "Sloppy casual sex is not rape", and he said "Of course! But there's a push to MAKE it rape!"

Which is just him continuing to riff off his previous idea... I'm not seeing where you're going...

Icenine
2012-01-05, 1:41 AM
The "My Strength" ads are being retired, though are considered a success. This is the new campaign they're starting:

http://mencanstoprape.blogspot.com/2011/12/saying-goodbye-to-my-strength-is-not.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I really think this is an important approach, to get male peer groups to police themselves, but I feel nitpick-y about how verbose the message of this one is. It is a specific situation instead of a value judgement "Real men don't rape women" (to adapt a slogan from Ashton Kutcher) / "Real men don't need to take IT" or "Real men protect women" (for the interventionist if patriarchal angle). The original ads had more of that going for them, they flip the positive masculine associations of strength and power on their head and turn them against male sexual aggression.

TiltingWindmills
2012-01-05, 12:14 PM
Granted, but the fear of having your named attached to that is big. And it sticks, even if nothing comes of it. Look at the Duke team a few years ago.

Even in cases of harassment and rape accusations leveled towards famous people, the victim is almost always made into the villain. She dresses too sexy, she wanted it, she is a whore, etc etc.

Davmeister84
2012-01-05, 5:28 PM
Even in cases of harassment and rape accusations leveled towards famous people, the victim is almost always made into the villain. She dresses too sexy, she wanted it, she is a whore, etc etc.

Both sides get dragged down into the dirt.

Inspector Spacetime
2012-01-05, 5:31 PM
Both sides get dragged down into the dirt.

Yes, but an alarmingly high percentage of the time, one side really did nothing wrong and is still dragged through the mud, their attacker cannot be pinned with the crime and the victim has to live with the fact that she has been attacked, there will be no justice, and their attacker will probably be free to attack someone else.

Davmeister84
2012-01-05, 5:39 PM
Yes, but an alarmingly high percentage of the time, one side really did nothing wrong and is still dragged through the mud, their attacker cannot be pinned with the crime and the victim has to live with the fact that she has been attacked, there will be no justice, and their attacker will probably be free to attack someone else.

Not disagreeing with that, but not seeing the immediate connection to what I said about false accusation except, according to you, "women get it worse" in that regard...

Sprint
2012-01-05, 5:40 PM
In rape cases, female victims almost always come out worse off compared to the male accused, no matter how much people want to find some kind of equivalence. Moreover, the number of falsely accused men is far smaller than the number of male->female rapes that are never even reported.

Jay
2012-01-05, 5:47 PM
I find women who falsely accuse men of rape as disgusting as men who rape, which is to say very much.

In addition to accusing someone of something truly horrible that they're innocent of, if she's ever found out to be a liar, it takes away from real rape victims and makes it easier for actual rapists to claim "She's a fucking liar."